Why?

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
howard
Special Contributer

Why?

Unread post by howard »

Why is it that when someone is compared looks-wise to Doris, they usually don't accept it as the compliment it most assuredly is. Chelsea Handler was promoting her new book on today's (Monday, 5/9) Regis and Kelly show. When she came out, Regis told her she reminded him of Doris Day. She kind of sloughed it off saying no, that was before my time ... your time, Regis. She obviously was not flattered. We know that Doris is under-rated as a singer, actress, etc., but shouldn't it be obvious that DD was/is a beautiful woman? I don't get it. Any theories out there?
Like Irene Dunne done.

Bixby
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Why?

Unread post by Bixby »

Doris is beautiful inside and out. Today's stars don't understand anything but outer beauty. They lack Doris' integrity.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Never heard of her - I did a search:

She looks a bit 'tarty'!

Doris was much prettier at the same age - without needing to show off her 'equipment'. :lol:

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Howard, her response is another indicator of how cynical and jaded pop culture has become. The current generation has grown up on a steady diet of reality TV and gossip shows like TMZ and Inside Edition. Chelsea Handler, who has her own trashy talk show on the E! network, has a huge fan base who obviously appreciate her brand of toilet humor. Sadly, it just isn't cool for someone "hip" like Chelsea Handler to be compared to Doris Day. Her fans have probably never even heard of Doris Day, so she quickly dismisses the comparison.

Handler is a smart cookie but I think she is sorely lacking when it comes to good manners and class.

Michael H
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Somewhere on a thread I cannot find anymore I said that it was sad DORIS DID NOT BECOME A REAL STAR.I remember Howard replied "oh yes she turned into a big box-office hit and her star did rise.
Well of course,but my point is,Doris is a reluctant star.What I meant at the time is that actresses like Liz Taylor (RIP)-Joan Collins,Sophia Loren,Kim Novak,Gina Lollobrigida etc,did and still do show their equipment and now are remembered like that,cleavage and glamour.so automatically Doris does not fit into that category,she is a classy,natural warm character.Doris always had an immaculate figure,look now what the young stars have to to to first obtain it and the keep it.
I came across this picture of this young actress showing off her "figure" in a very unclassy way.It made me think of how Doris looked.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I found the following on a web site called "Democraticunderground.com:

Chelsea HANDLER was just totally snarky and rude to Regis, Kelly, & Doris DAY

Edited on Mon May-09-11 11:24 AM by UTUSN
I watch her show and know what she does and I like her. I know she's tough and brutal, but most of the time I like her choice of targets.

So she's peddling a book and here she was with Regis and Kelley, the nicest people, really. And they welcomed her warmly and tried their damnedest to be nice to her, maybe a bit warily (with reason, as it turned out). When Regis held up her book with her picture on the cover, he said that she looks like Doris DAY.

Now, those of us of a certain age carry a fondness for Ms DAY, despite my regret over her wingnuttiness, and this was WITHOUT A DOUBT a compliment, Ms DAY having been a great beauty, and, when the media swamps us with her retrospectives when she passes, a magnificent talent and voice, for the young to find out.

So Chelsea acted, like, "Ewww," and said, "Doris DAY?!1 She was from YOUR time, way before MY time!1"

Then she went on to casually brag about having grown up in NanBucket or some place "where my parents had a summer place" neighbors with Carly SIMON.

So Regis and Kelley just sank into reading off scripted questions for her to recite well trodden bits from the book, including a long and lame thing about lying to a boyfriend.

The bigger you are, the nicer you are and she came off as very small.
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

So it was a bit of a waste of a compliment then? She's no doubt never seen a film without special effects or older than 1990. Sarah Jessica Parker is probably as far back as she goes, compliment wise, Perhaps a crash course in her own culture would help?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

I love Chelsea and youtubed this epsisode of Regis and Kelly with Chelsea Handler, and didnt come away with others of the forum are saying, judge for yourself, all she said was Doris Day, and coyly mentioned to Regis she was of his generation, as if she wasnt old enough to know who Doris Day is, shes probably older than me lol and I know Doris Day. I do think in this guest appearance as she walked out that she in fact looked like Doris Day, with her fresh scrubbed sunny face freckles and all. Heres the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LShrCgC_YQ8