Doris' Leading Men - who are Top 3?

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Who are your Favourite Top 3 Leading Men

Gordon MacRae
10%
Howard Keel
2%
Frank Sinatra
1%
James Cagney
7%
Jack Lemmon
5%
Rock Hudson
33%
David Niven
1%
Cary Grant
5%
James Garner
27%
Rod Taylor
7%

Total votes: 138

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Doris' Leading Men - who are Top 3?

Unread post by webmaster »

I thought I'd set up a poll on who your three favourite Doris Day leading man are - this is a shortlist as the maximum number I can list is 10. If your favourites aren't here, you can list them in this topic.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Doris' Leading Men - who are Top 3?

Unread post by jmichael »

What a list! When it comes to Top Leading Men from the golden and post-golden age of Hollywood, Doris starred opposite the cream of the crop. Aside from a few notable exceptions -- Humphrey Bogart, Gary Cooper, Gene Kelly and William Holden leap to mind -- Doris worked with nearly every great leading actor of her era. Although this was a difficult choice, I based my Top Three on pure chemistry: Rock, Jimmy Cagney and James Garner.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Thanks for that, Michael, I was beginning to think I was flogging a dead horse with this one!

I had to omit many, as I said because of the limit of 10, but I didn't think some other great leading men like Rex Harrison and Louis Jourdan (one of the few still alive) would get many votes because of the roles they played. Clark Gable was a little old for Doris - but they still made a great film together. John Raitt was pretty good, chemistry wise. I thought, ditto Stephen Boyd. Brian Keith was also good but perhaps not up there with the big stars like Grant and Hudson.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Rock Hudson, Jimmy Cagney, Frank Sinatra my types :D As a fourth, I think that James Garner :D Cary Grant is also a great actor :D But for me will always be number one Rock Hudson :D Rock and Doris create a wonderful duo on screen :D Wonderful pair of film :D

Greetings from Polish :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I made my choice solely on chemistry and not necessarily the credentials of the actor.

The first 2 choices are very natural for me- Rock and Jimmy.

The 3rd (again going on chemistry) led me to Rod Taylor - although Cagney is superb and a very close runner here.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Jack Lemmon forgot about him, and yet it was a great actor:) However, between Doris and Rock was something magic... Chemistry...
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

webmaster

Howard & Jack have had no votes. :(

in Jack's case, even though only a few people have voted, I wonder if that is why "It Happened to Jane" wasn't a hit at the box office? I hardly ever hear him or the film mentioned by fans. He was a great comedy actor but lacked... sex appeal? Too nice? To much like Doris? :)

More votes and comments please!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I think Lemmon and Doris had terrific chemistry together. I know they really enjoyed working together and were hoping to do another film, but unfortunately, that never came through. Doris once said that she and Lemmon just bounced right off of one another (dialogue). She called him a consummate actor, and he had much praise for Doris, as well.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Lemmon was an excellent actor,I love this guy :D It was an actor who could play everything, I think so. In Poland, Lemmon is probably better known than Rock Hudson ... "Some Like It Ho" although once seen almost every...
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

webmaster

True. I agree with all positive comments about Jack - I'm a big fan - just thinking laterally about why his film with Doris wasn't a hit.

So Howard, what was your choice of top 3 leading men?

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Rock will always be my no.1
Rod Taylor no.2
James Garner no.3
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

DorisVIP

Unread post by DorisVIP »

I voted yesterday but didn't have time to post my top 3. I really like Rod Taylor in Glass Bottom Boat, but I can't forget Cagney and Doris in Love me or Leave me, so I chose Cagney for my #3.

1. Rock Hudson
2. James Garner
3. James Cagney
~Stephanie~

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Bryan ... I chose (in order) Rock Hudson, James Garner, and Gordon MacRae. I chose Rock because he and DD just seemed to be having a lot of fun together. Garner and Doris looked great together, and the sexual chemistry between them was undeniable. Gordon and Doris were just such a sweet old-fashioned couple and fit perfectly into those old-time, sentimental settings of the "Moon" films.
Like Irene Dunne done.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Speaking of James Garner, his memoir will be published on November 1. It's called "The Garner Files: A Memoir." Should be an interesting read. Here's hoping he says nice things about Doris and I feel sure he will do just that.

Michael
Michael H

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Well, I did choose Gordon MacRae, Rock Hudson and James Garner.
Gordon MacRae, he did play in a lot of films with her, they were a great team, but Rock, well they were an great and special couple, the best at that time. and just like James Garner, they had a lot of fun.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I voted Rock Hudson, Cary Grant, and James Garner (in that order). There is no denying that Day and Hudson were amazing together. And Grant is my favorite actor of all time, he was pretty good with Day but was really great with others too. And I just love Jimmy Garner. I thought him and Day had really great chemistry.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

DayDreamer
Forum Friend

Unread post by DayDreamer »

I voted Rock Hudson and James Cagney. Jack Carson is my number three (or perhaps even number two, after Rock). He's one of my favorite actors of that time; he and Doris played a lovely couple in Romance on the High Seas, but I also liked him very much in "Mildred Pierce" (1945, with Joan Crawford).

I still haven't watched "It Happened to Jane" and "Young at Heart", so I can't say how Jack Lemmon and Frank Sinatra teamed up with Doris (yet). :oops: But as for Frank, he sang way better than he acted in my opinion, judging by "Ocean's Eleven".
Would you please get off this line!

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

I voted for Rock Hudson, James Garner, and Rod Taylor. I think that Doris had the most chemistry with these three, though they are all fantastic actors.
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

Deirdre Barr Kushner

Unread post by Deirdre Barr Kushner »

My favorite three leading men are - JAMES GARNER, ROCK HUDSON, AND CARY GRANT ----
she could have been married to any one of these guys - and ROD TAYLOR ---- HE ALMOST MADE THE THREE
DK

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Rock Hudson and Doris created magic in their screen chemistry because it was a genuine liking of each other that came across in their three films. This fond memory and legacy lives on to this day when new audiences see these classics.

James Cagney brought out the very best in Doris' dramatic skills in Love me Or Leave Me. It is an unforgettable quality film.

James Garner is just plain lovable in Move Over Darling and The Thrill Of It All. He compliments Doris perfectly.

Doris made all her leading men look better because she is so natural, authentic and likeable in all her films.

Great topic!

Johnny
Johnny

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Unread post by ellenarden »

James Garner

Rock Hudson

and Brian Keith (if they didn't already have their own shows, a TV show with the two of them would have run for years :D )

DannyProctor

Unread post by DannyProctor »

Rock Hudson and James Garner were easy choices. But my No. 3 choice would have to be Jimmy Stewart in The Man Who Knew Too Much. Since he wasn't listed, I went with David Niven. I recently watched Please Don't Eat the Daisies again and I really loved the chemistry that he and Doris had. That's one of my favorites of her films for so many reasons. She plays so naturally with the little boys and Spring Byington was fabulous as Doris' mother. Byington was a beautiful and funny lady and physically had the look that was perfect for the role. And Patsy Kelly is great as the maid. Sorry, got off topic a bit. Anyway, Stewart and Doris were unmatchable in that great Alfred Hitchcock film. Jimmy Stewart is my favorite actor.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Spring Byington really looked the part of Doris' mother.
Like Irene Dunne done.

jmichael
Honorary Member

I agree that Spring Byington was a great choice to play her mother.

PDETD is one of her most lovable and charming comedies. It's like sipping hot tea with honey and cuddling under a blanket on a chilly Sunday afternoon. It'll cure what ails you.

Michael
Michael H

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

You're so right, Michael. It's such an enjoyable treat!
Like Irene Dunne done.