Julie (Remastered Edition) Available on 10/10/2011

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Julie (Remastered Edition) Available on 10/10/2011

Unread post by webmaster »

Movies Unlimited are releasing Julie (Remastered Edition) at a sale price next month. If you plan on buying a copy please consider using the link below as 10% of your hard-earned cash will go to helping to support costs of this website. You can pre-order now.
http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/a ... sku=D58108

Now Accepting Advance Orders! - Available on 10th October
http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/a ... sku=D58108
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Westwood

Re: Julie (Remastered Edition) Available on 10/10/2011

Unread post by Westwood »

That's great news.

But is this gonna be the same DVD from the WB shop, made to order? Is it a DVD-R?
I'd like to support the site but amazon is selling it for 5 dollars less, even if it's 5 more than the WB shop but they don't ship outside the US which is a bummer.

Very sad to see that this movie won't get a commercial release like the others, and will probably be pretty bare-boned. But...better than nothing!

DorisVIP

Unread post by DorisVIP »

One movie I haven't seen. Expenses tight this month with my Vegas trip coming up this weekend 8) so maybe next month. :D
~Stephanie~

webmaster

Westwood - as far as I understand it, this is a new remastered version with Widescreen (Enhanced) and Dolby Digital Soundtrack.

DorisVIP - I'm not, I hope, putting pressure on people -if people can get it for less they should -but thanks for the thought. Doris should get some royalties as it was produced by her company, Arwin.

Westwood

You're not putting anyone under pressure, thank you for making us aware of the possibility though.
I'm tight lately as well, I don't even know if I should wait a bit to get it, but I might want it right now.
I only saw it in German when they aired it like 10 years ago, I never saw it aired anywhere else.
Can't wait to see it remastered and in widescreen.
While it appears to be a proper DVD, it's not the level of Doris Day DVDs that Turner have been spoiling us with with her box sets ;)

webmaster

While it appears to be a proper DVD, it's not the level of Doris Day DVDs that Turner have been spoiling us with with her box sets
Why do you say that without having seen it? I'm going to get a copy myself so I'll report back but I'm expecting it be great! Someone sent me the Turner (recorded from TV) version and it's square-shaped, slightly faded B&W - this is a new widescreen restored version.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

The remastered widescreen version is masterful.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Westwood

webmaster wrote:
While it appears to be a proper DVD, it's not the level of Doris Day DVDs that Turner have been spoiling us with with her box sets
Why do you say that without having seen it? I'm going to get a copy myself so I'll report back but I'm expecting it be great! Someone sent me the Turner (recorded from TV) version and it's square-shaped, slightly faded B&W - this is a new widescreen restored version.
I'm talking about the packaging and extras, not the film itself.
These releases from Turner and Universal (Vault) have been widely criticised because initially they were simple transfers on dvd. For unreleased overlooked, often masterpiece, movies, this could mean they would never see the light of day remastered to their original glory, and documentary and vintage material forever lost rotting in the vaults and being lost forever. Although now they are starting to remaster them, there are usually zero extras and the price is double what they used to charge for single movies. The artwork used to be simply dire, at least now they are starting to use vintage poster artworks which are superb.

webmaster

Oh, I see - I thought you were talking about the DVD quality. Yes, you're probably right there. Movies Unlimited, I imagine, will want to keep their prices down - although the DVD is still expensive - it will probably be cheaper in a month or so - nearer Xmas!

Thanks for explaining that.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I've seen this movie only once when it was played a few summers ago on TCM. I remember it being pretty good! I'm glad they're releasing a remastered edition, I can't wait to get my hands on it!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Westwood

I am also looking forward to this :) I have been very good at keeping some Doris Day movies unwatched, sitting on them for years and years, only because I knew that once I watched them, there would be nothing new coming. But Julie, has to be seen! And I can't wait to see it looking pristine in that gorgeous black and white :)))

webmaster

I'm sure it will be great but part of me thinks it might have been better in colour - especially if you look at the photo of Doris and Louis above - always thought that Doris a Technicolor kind of gal! Was Marty trying to save money? :wink: It was the first film produced by their company, Arwin Productions (I think).

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Bryan - Yes, Marty was attempting to be "frugal" since the less it cost to make, the more easily it would show a profit and that would go into the coffers of Arwin Productions. The film cost under a million to make and color would have added about 50% to that cost. It is a film that screams out for color with all those exquisite settings and the sizzling on-screen chemistry between the two gorgeous leads would have only been all the more pronounced.

Westwood

On the other hand, given the theme of the film, the black and white suits it.

Are there genuine color pictures from the set? The one above is colorized.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

webmaster wrote:I'm sure it will be great but part of me thinks it might have been better in colour - especially if you look at the photo of Doris and Louis above - always thought that Doris a Technicolor kind of gal!
I agree, I think color would have added to the film.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

I sort of feel all coloured pictures of Julie not suiting.The black and white is wonderful,and because of the drama it gives you more an edge-chair feeling.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day