Doris' Top 3 Female Co-Stars

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Lauren Bacall in Young Man With A Horn
5%
Thelma Ritter in Pillow Talk and Move Over, Darling
27%
Polly Bergen in Move Over,Darling
No votes
Janis Paige in Romance On The High Seas and Please Don't Eat The Daisies
18%
Audrey Meadows in That Touch of Mink
9%
Ginger Rogers in Storm Warning
9%
Martha Raye in Jumbo!
9%
Myrna Loy in Midnight Lace
No votes
Eve Arden in Tea For Two and My Dream Is Yours
14%
Allyn Ann McLerie in Calamity Jane
5%
Dorothy Malone in Young at Heart
No votes
Elizabeth Fraser in Young at Heart and Glass Bottom Boat
5%
Edie Adams in Lover Come Back
No votes

Total votes: 22

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

After selecting her Top 3 Leading Men, I thought it would be interesting to see who we thought were her best female co-stars.

I selected Thelma Ritter, Janis Paige and Audrey Meadows. I thought Janis was superb as the vain Deborah Vaughn in PDETD and even though That Touch of Mink is not among my favorite Doris films, I thought Audrey's comic timing and droll delivery provided some of the funniest moments in that film. And in my opinion, there was no better character actress in Hollywood than Thelma Ritter. She had a golden gift for sharp line readings that elevated every scene she appeared in.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

DayDreamer
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris' Top 3 Female Co-Stars

Unread post by DayDreamer »

Thelma Ritter, Janis Paige and Ginger Rogers. Thelma Ritter is definitely my number one; she was fantastic in "Pillow Talk", "Move Over, Darling" and "Rear Window".
Would you please get off this line!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I'm exactly with you Day Dreamer - although Eve Arden came close (as a third in place of Ginger - only one film). However, Ginger I adore and of course she was Miss Day's idol and I think Storm Warning is a very different (and very overlooked) Doris Day film - (albeit more an ensemble piece).

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I've gone for (in listed order) Janis Paige, for all the reasons mentioned and for the fact that she was a match for Doris rather being in a a subservient role as played by Ritter and Meadows. (Have you noticed that Doris' female co-stars were generally less attractive than her? This goes back, I believe, to Doris' reported insecurity about her looks and was manifested in having Martha Hyer having to change her hair colour from blonde to brunette (or was it red?) in "Lucky Me" and perhaps her dislike of Mamie Van Doren in "Teacher's Pet".)

I saw an old film with Thelma Ritter recently called "The Mating Season" (1951) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043792 - it's a great film and well worth watching but it made me realise that she always plays the same role!

Second choice is Martha Raye - very underrated and also, like Janis, a match for Doris, who and was seldom equalled in the way that, say, Monroe and Russell in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" . (Also thinking of Nancy Walker in "Lucky Me" - another great talent. Was she chosen because of her 'ordinary' appearance? (I'm developing a conspiracy theory here, which may not stand up to scrutiny!)

Third choice is Allyn Ann McLerie in Calamity Jane - just because she was so sweet (and luckily didn't have blond hair! :D )
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

I came across this rather touching statement from Doris about her appearance when she first started out:
"I remember when I was first at Warner Brothers, (Michael) Curtiz, every time I saw him, he would say, ‘I want you to lose weight. I want your cheeks to be hollow.’ And of course my face was loaded with freckles and by the time the make-up man finished covering them up, I felt like I had on a plaster mask. Until I’d gotten into pictures, I’d never thought [about] what I looked like, and I developed a complex a mile wide. I think I would have given my soul to look like Hedy Lamarr.

And then all of a sudden the fan mail started coming in. It was bewildering because the letters said, ‘I wish I could look like you…I’d like to have a nose like yours…You’re so healthy looking, and I love freckles. Why don’t you wear them on the screen?…How I wish I had your personality.’ Those letters really helped me. They proved something that to me was almost a revelation - that almost everyone wishes they were someone else, which is just what I wanted to be. I began to realize that whatever it was they liked about me had nothing to do with the way I looked, that how people look doesn’t matter, it’s what’s inside that counts." - Doris Day

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

That is a wonderful statement.Doris' cheeks are so unique,imagine if she would have lost weight...so,from that moment on her fans have supported her,till now,decades later!!!
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

Unread post by lovemeorleaveme »

webmaster wrote:And then all of a sudden the fan mail started coming in. It was bewildering because the letters said, ‘I wish I could look like you…I’d like to have a nose like yours…You’re so healthy looking, and I love freckles. Why don’t you wear them on the screen?…How I wish I had your personality.’ Those letters really helped me. They proved something that to me was almost a revelation - that almost everyone wishes they were someone else, which is just what I wanted to be. I began to realize that whatever it was they liked about me had nothing to do with the way I looked, that how people look doesn’t matter, it’s what’s inside that counts." - Doris Day
I find it so interesting that Curtiz wanted Doris to lose weight, yet he didn't want her to take acting lessons! He wanted her to "be herself", but not "look like herself"....?! He recognized her beautiful soul, but wanted her to fit a certain "appearance mold"! Typical Hollywood thinking...

I'm so glad that Doris was able to get past the pressure and shallowness that is Hollywood--and I'm so glad that the public recognized her for the beautiful person that she was (and IS!)--inside and out!!!

I love you, Doris--just the way you are!!

Hope you're all having a lovely "Day"! :)

God Bless,
Rachel

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I think Curtiz hoped a diet would make Doris' face thinner- she certainly never needed to diet - had the most amazing body! However, even by her own concession - when younger she had a plump face - perfect for ageing with !

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

lovemeorleaveme wrote:
webmaster wrote:And then all of a sudden the fan mail started coming in. It was bewildering because the letters said, ‘I wish I could look like you…I’d like to have a nose like yours…You’re so healthy looking, and I love freckles. Why don’t you wear them on the screen?…How I wish I had your personality.’ Those letters really helped me. They proved something that to me was almost a revelation - that almost everyone wishes they were someone else, which is just what I wanted to be. I began to realize that whatever it was they liked about me had nothing to do with the way I looked, that how people look doesn’t matter, it’s what’s inside that counts." - Doris Day
I find it so interesting that Curtiz wanted Doris to lose weight, yet he didn't want her to take acting lessons! He wanted her to "be herself", but not "look like herself"....?! He recognized her beautiful soul, but wanted her to fit a certain "appearance mold"! Typical Hollywood thinking...

I'm so glad that Doris was able to get past the pressure and shallowness that is Hollywood--and I'm so glad that the public recognized her for the beautiful person that she was (and IS!)--inside and out!!!

I love you, Doris--just the way you are!!

Hope you're all having a lovely "Day"! :)

God Bless,
Rachel
Exactly :D For me, Doris was, is and will always be beautiful and clever woman :D
Doris is a beautiful woman, has the most beautiful smile in the world
She's not and ever has been an artificial, plastic surgery doll. She's always been better than that.
Meryl Streep isn't the classic example of beauty but she's a genius actress and wonderful, wise woman:)
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Sorry Michael, I seem to have taken your post off-topic with my musings. Yes, Doris has always been beautiful, I think, at the beginning she was more girl-next-door (On Moonlight Bay, etc) rather than Grace Kelly but she blossomed into a beautiful woman by the time she made "The Pajama Game", "Teacher's Pet" - all the way to "With Six You Get Eggroll" (but not "Caprice"!) but I think we all loved how she looked no matter what film she was in, didn't we?

To get back to the poll - interesting that Lauren Bacall didn't get any votes so far - perhaps it was because she played a bit of a cold character (I was going to say 'bitch'! :) ) in "Young Man of Music", as it was called in the UK?

lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

Unread post by lovemeorleaveme »

Jas1 wrote:I think Curtiz hoped a diet would make Doris' face thinner- she certainly never needed to diet - had the most amazing body! However, even by her own concession - when younger she had a plump face - perfect for ageing with !
Yes, I agree, Jas. :)

I remember that there was some discussion between Marty and Cary Grant over camera angles in That Touch of Mink. ;)

However, I think Doris was always aware of the shallowness of Hollywood--and I think (just my humble opinion! :)) it was one of the reasons that she wanted to get away from it all (Hollywood, I mean). She knew what was important in her life--and she was tired of trying to live up to an "image". Her innate honesty finally drew her away from the unreal fantasy of Hollywood.

God Bless--have a lovely "Day"!
Rachel

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

lovemeorleaveme wrote: However, I think Doris was always aware of the shallowness of Hollywood--and I think (just my humble opinion! :)) it was one of the reasons that she wanted to get away from it all (Hollywood, I mean). She knew what was important in her life--and she was tired of trying to live up to an "image". Her innate honesty finally drew her away from the unreal fantasy of Hollywood.

God Bless--have a lovely "Day"!
Rachel
Think exactly like you Rachel :D

Greetings from Polish :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

jmichael
Honorary Member

At the risk of keeping this train off track, I have to comment about Doris and how she viewed herself.

One of her most revealing comments was during an interview with Merv Griffin in the mid -1970's. I believe it was when she was on his show to promote her book. She said something along the lines of "I'm a rather ordinary looking woman." Now, that was astonishing to me.

While I would not consider her an exotic beauty like Garbo or Sophia Loren, I find her to be a lovely, beautiful woman who has a smile that can light up the darkest of rooms anywhere. She just glows on screen. You can't buy or manufacture that either. No, merely possessing the requisite centimeters or clinical traits of beauty is not enough. You have to have a deep, good soul behind the facade. And we all know Doris has that in spades.

I also liked James Garner's comment about Doris not realizing how sexy she was. Spot on. And that probably made her even sexier to those around her.

Michael H
Michael H

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Legs Doris is no divine, perfect bodyBeautiful hair, eyes and face

"She was every band leader's dream, a vocalist who had natural talent, a keen regard for the lyrics and an attractive appearance." - Les Brown

"She's gifted in a way that makes everything she does work. She's a Hollywood producer's dream: she has beauty, she's a great actress, a wonderful singer - putting it simply, she has it all!" - Tony Bennett

"I always try to include songs by my favorite Singers in my concerts. As Doris Day has always been one of my favorites, I sing 'Secret Love' in every show I do. Doris Day was also one of the first Celebrities to attend my night club performances when I first started out. She was always very kind to me. She's a wonderful human being." - Johnny Mathis

Ps: http://www.qwiki.com/q/#!/Doris_Day
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I've mentioned before- I have a friend who adores Lauren Bacall - I really like her but to him - Lauren is his Miss Day (he is also a Day fan too but not to my level)!

Anyhow, we banter about 'our ladies' although my jokes are jagging some time- I think Bacall has turned into a crusty old broad who takes no prisoners in telling others how it is! In a recent Vanity Fair article - it was a bit sad in a way - Lauren looked (and sounded) like an angry old lady- berating the doorman of her apartment building for example, for not knowing who she was and showing the expected reserve! She has fallen and broken her hip and I am sure that does not help!

While (to a certain extent)the behaviour of Bacall is fine- compare it to the graciousness and humbleness of Miss Day !- a

Another friend of mine could not get over how humble Doris was when being interviewed recently by Michael Ball (BBC Radio2) - I guess what I'm trying to say is that [as we know] Doris Day is a class act who continues to act above reproach [in my opinion]- while I find diva-ish behaviour funny sometimes - I do not like it - Miss Day showed that even at the very TOP - there was no need to disrespect or be rude to anyone - a wonderful lesson for us all as she continues to be graceful, interested in others, and above all respectful.

webmaster

Well, I suppose the main thing is that we are having a discussion - we can always return to the topic. :)

I don't fully agree with Doris when she says, "I began to realize that whatever it was they liked about me had nothing to do with the way I looked." Personally, I loved the way she looked when I first saw her on the screen and that played a big part in me becoming a fan. As I watched further, I realised she wasn't just pretty but she had something else that I couldn't explain (I was about 10 at the time and often skipped school to go and see films on second release, being mad on films even at that young age and being a free-range kid brought up by adopted parents and more or less allowed to do what I wanted.
As I watched more, she began to sing, dance, gave the boys as good as she got - by the time the film was over, I was hooked. She was my big sister/ideal girl friend/mother all rolled into one. The next film I saw was "Calamity Jane" and that just confirmed all my feelings towards her. I drifted away as I got older and don't remember seeing "Pillow Talk"or any of her later big hits - although I do remember seeing "Please Don't Eat the Daisies", which seemed very different from my schoolboy experience of her. Funnily enough I carried on listening to her music and that sat happily with listening to eighties music, although friends thought it was a bit odd/square (they still do!)

It was only when I saw the BBC program "I Don't Even Like Apple Pie" (late eighties?) that it all came flooding back and I realised how important she had been to me. And then the Internet and Stephen Munns great website, Discovering Doris, which inspired me to create one myself.

That's a potted history of my love affair with Doris, which sometimes embarrasses me, frankly, as I still don't understand it! On holiday with a group of friends in July, one of them put some high-energy music on as we sat down to eat and I said "I can't listen to this while I'm eating" and took it off and put "Duet" on. As I came back into the room I heard one friend describe it as "music for old people". I got really really annoyed and told him - most of the women said, "Leave it on, it's lovely". That seems to be a pattern among my friends, women love her, men think it's 'old music'. Not that I care any more!
But I do agree with the second part of what Doris said, "How people look doesn’t matter, it’s what’s inside that counts".

webmaster

Shame about Lauren, Jas - she used to be so cool!

jmichael
Honorary Member

James, I read the same article in VF and share your impressions. Sad to say, but Lauren Bacall is not the most gracious person on the planet. I was living in Chicago in the early 80's when she toured with "Woman of the Year" shortly after Raquel Welch of all people was a surprise critical and commercial replacement for her on Broadway. Bacall was not at all happy about Welch stealing her thunder and she became very testy for a time. Anyway, I was attending the Chicago auto show held at McCormick Place, which is a huge convention arena. At the time, Bacall was starring in WOTY at a theater that was part of the convention complex.

While I am standing in the Mercedes showroom, admiring the various cars on display, what do I hear, but a throaty, bellowing voice behind me that was unmistakable. It was Bacall, between shows, asking the dealer this and that about the cars, etc. Suddenly, as I am taking all of this in, I see a rather timid young woman approach Bacall and ask her for an autograph. Bacall immediately waved her hand as if to swat the poor girl away, and brusquely said "I don't do that. Now leave me alone." She meant business and the girl got the hell out of there. I've never forgotten the embarrassed look on that girl's face.

So while I respect Bacall for continuing to work and giving some respectable performances over the years, she believes she is a living legend and everyone should tread lightly around her, if they know what's good for them. You would think over time that she might mellow or gain a bit more humility. Doesn't sound that way, based on the VF article.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Not impressed - what a contrast to Doris.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

pardon me but to call Lauren Bacall an actress is a misnomer. She played herself in every one of her films and herself was a non-actress. Giving her an oscar was typical of how stupid the Academy can be!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks for that story Michael - as much as I may not be impressed by Miss Bacall's antics - I still admire her too - she is a survivor! Wonder if she and Doris would get along better now - now that Bacall seems to cherish her 4 legger /leggers in her later years?

I know I've stated this before - but I shall again - how 'neat' would it be for a special charity screening of Young Man with a Horn- with the 3 principal players attending and donating a third share each to their designated charity?

Of course it will never happen but to even still have the opportunity for this is amazing - to have those 3 still with us - is indeed wonderful! While there may be debate about Bacall - they are 2 (maybe 3) of the last greats left and should be treasured!

DayDreamer
Forum Friend

Unread post by DayDreamer »

webmaster wrote:Well, I suppose the main thing is that we are having a discussion - we can always return to the topic. :)

I don't fully agree with Doris when she says, "I began to realize that whatever it was they liked about me had nothing to do with the way I looked." Personally, I loved the way she looked when I first saw her on the screen and that played a big part in me becoming a fan. As I watched further, I realised she wasn't just pretty but she had something else that I couldn't explain (I was about 10 at the time and often skipped school to go and see films on second release, being mad on films even at that young age and being a free-range kid brought up by adopted parents and more or less allowed to do what I wanted.
As I watched more, she began to sing, dance, gave the boys as good as she got - by the time the film was over, I was hooked. She was my big sister/ideal girl friend/mother all rolled into one. The next film I saw was "Calamity Jane" and that just confirmed all my feelings towards her. I drifted away as I got older and don't remember seeing "Pillow Talk"or any of her later big hits - although I do remember seeing "Please Don't Eat the Daisies", which seemed very different from my schoolboy experience of her. Funnily enough I carried on listening to her music and that sat happily with listening to eighties music, although friends thought it was a bit odd/square (they still do!)

It was only when I saw the BBC program "I Don't Even Like Apple Pie" (late eighties?) that it all came flooding back and I realised how important she had been to me. And then the Internet and Stephen Munns great website, Discovering Doris, which inspired me to create one myself.

That's a potted history of my love affair with Doris, which sometimes embarrasses me, frankly, as I still don't understand it! On holiday with a group of friends in July, one of them put some high-energy music on as we sat down to eat and I said "I can't listen to this while I'm eating" and took it off and put "Duet" on. As I came back into the room I heard one friend describe it as "music for old people". I got really really annoyed and told him - most of the women said, "Leave it on, it's lovely". That seems to be a pattern among my friends, women love her, men think it's 'old music'. Not that I care any more!
But I do agree with the second part of what Doris said, "How people look doesn’t matter, it’s what’s inside that counts".
What a wonderful post. Now I understand why you made this whole website. :wink:

So she played a very important role in your childhood. I guess that's probably true for a lot more forum members around here (not for me though; I didn't even know who she was until a few years ago :oops:). And I can imagine how that makes someone a Doris Day fan for life. :)
Would you please get off this line!

webmaster

Thanks DayDreamer - it's a lonely feeling when you open yourself up and no one responds - you feel a bit foolish, so I appreciate your comments.

Thanks for sharing your experience - would like to hear more stories of how people became fans but perhaps we need another topic for that. :)

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Maybe Miss Bacall's she had a bad day? Miss Bacall is completely different than Doris. Doris is unique and one of a kind :D No one can match in any way with Doris :D Doris is my goddess, an angel, a beautiful woman who also has a beautiful soul

Her parents were Jewish immigrants, their families having come from Poland, Romania, and Germany :D It is unfortunate that Doris does not have Polish roots :(
Such a small Polish accent :wink:

PS: Beautifully written Bryan
I'd wanted to write a lot, but my English is poor :cry: I didn't even know if any of you understand me :?: :(

Have a nice day :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

jmichael
Honorary Member

Bryan, do not feel like the Lone Ranger. I totally understand your experience as a young boy and how Doris affected you. I don't think it's anything we fully understand or have control over either. Sort of like falling in love or forming a close friendship in real life. The laws of attraction defy logic so it's perhaps best not to try to explain our choices. They stand on their own merit. I thought your post was wonderful by the way. Very honest and revealing. Takes courage to do that no matter who we are.

And as for enjoying "old folks" music, who cares? I say the more eclectic, the better. Consequently, not only do I listen to Doris, Ella, Frank, Barbra and Nat King Cole, but I also enjoy listening to Lady GaGa, Katy Perry, JayZ, Tao Cruz, Pink and Black Eyed Peas, among other current pop sensations. I hope I never get too old or close- minded to appreciate a wide range of musical styles no matter how little those artists and I may have in common as people. Why limit yourself?

Michael
Michael H