Doris' Top 3 Female Co-Stars

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Doris' Top 3 Female Co-Stars

Lauren Bacall in Young Man With A Horn
5%
Thelma Ritter in Pillow Talk and Move Over, Darling
27%
Polly Bergen in Move Over,Darling
No votes
Janis Paige in Romance On The High Seas and Please Don't Eat The Daisies
18%
Audrey Meadows in That Touch of Mink
9%
Ginger Rogers in Storm Warning
9%
Martha Raye in Jumbo!
9%
Myrna Loy in Midnight Lace
No votes
Eve Arden in Tea For Two and My Dream Is Yours
14%
Allyn Ann McLerie in Calamity Jane
5%
Dorothy Malone in Young at Heart
No votes
Elizabeth Fraser in Young at Heart and Glass Bottom Boat
5%
Edie Adams in Lover Come Back
No votes

Total votes: 22

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris' Top 3 Female Co-Stars

Unread post by webmaster »

Thank you, Michael - very kind - me and Doris seem to go a long way back, like many people on here, I'm sure. It's hard not to think of that history without a lot of other memories coming up as well - some of them painful, some of them sweet. There was a time when I was slightly embarrassed about it (my 'cool days'!) but it was interesting during her TV night on BBC recently I got so many text messages from friends asking if I knew about it! Despite my irritation with the friend who called it 'music for old people', which I totally disagree with as Doris' music, at its best, is timeless, thinking about it, she gets a lot of respect generally, even if people don't go out and buy her records.

And Ania, I don't have any problem understanding you! I admire your ability to be able to communicate in a second language. I wish I could!

What was the topic again? :D
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Back on topic, I wanted to call out Eve Arden who possessed a wonderfully droll way with a line. She was always as good and often better than the material she was given. I really liked her and will never forget that great line of hers from Mildred Pierce about the alligators eating their young.

Although I did not vote for her in the poll, I consider her another top flight character actress.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

mikeydv wrote:pardon me but to call Lauren Bacall an actress is a misnomer. She played herself in every one of her films and herself was a non-actress. Giving her an oscar was typical of how stupid the Academy can be!
bravo...

webmaster

Yes, Eve Arden was one of those great support actresses who always added quality to a film - they were so many players who made up the backbone of 'the golden age of Hollywood' and who never quite made the top league but who were essential to a film's success. Perhaps Elizabeth Frazer falls into that category as well - not fully co-stars but important in their supporting roles, ditto, as mentioned, Thelma Ritter.

I'm wondering if we are not being a bit unfair to Lauren Bacall, given that we are looking at acting jobs. I think if you are a big star in the public eye and constantly being pursued by the public it could drive you slightly mad! As Doris once famously said to an interviewer who was lauding her success "You just don't get it, do you? All I ever wanted was a normal life with a husband a children!" Taken out of context, that might seem rude but we knew what she meant. Lauren came from the school of hard knocks so maybe we shouldn't judge her so harshly. I would imagine she'd say, "We can't all be Doris Day!" :lol:

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Well my top 3 would be
Janis Paige
Martha Raye
Eve Arden.
Quite a lot of feminity there and nice co-players.In my opinion.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

jmichael
Honorary Member

Lauren Bacall is limited as an actress IMO. She does tend to play a variation of the same character over and over again, as others on this board have pointed out. That said, I've still enjoyed some of her "performances" (actually, she's more of a presence than an actress) in films like "To Have and Have Not," "Murder on the Orient Express," "How To Marry a Millionaire" and "Harper" with Paul Newman. But she does fall back on the same tough talking broad schtick time and time again. I find that entertaining if the script and the other elements are of good quality. She has gotten way more critical acclaim and recognition from the film industry than she deserves. Much of that, I think, comes from her celebrated marriage to Humphrey Bogart.

Streisand brought out a more tender side to her in "The Mirror Has Two Faces" but that film was a huge disappoinment IMO. That remains Bacall's only Oscar nomination for acting, although they did give a lifetime achievement Oscar a year or so ago.

Not every star has to be a great or even good actor. Some are worth the price of a ticket based on charisma and style.

Michael
Michael H

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Exactly, I agree with you jmichael :D
Lauren Bacall received an Academy Award in 2010

Have a nice day :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan-
I kind of flaunt my love of Doris Day and anyone who knows me (really knows me) - knows how much she sincerely means to me on many levels. For those 'looking in' - [on me] in life- I don't really care what they think. From my desk with my DD Calender a 20something I.T. guy (when looking at my computer) struck up a conversation re- D Day - asking - 'Doris Day - what is that famous western musical she was in' - this (of course) led me to wax lyrical about Doris trivia (still top box office female star of all time etc etc, chart history etc etc) - always surprises me that age is not a barrier to knowing Doris Day - I think Calamity Jane has (and will) continue to introduce Doris to younger audiences.

Re:- the music comment- that too I rejoice in - I was definitely born too late - 90+% of my collection is jazz/ standard and again, I rejoice in it - to each their own! While I may be very modern in appearance - when it comes to music I most certainly am of another era!

Re- Lauren- I am not knocking Miss Bacall- as I said, I actually like her and my friend 'adores' her- I was just comparing the different approaches of these two great survivors.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

I do not care at all what others think about me. I even have a wallpaper on your computer with photo Doris, in mp3 on the phone a lot of her songs. My friend Magda said recently that Doris has a beautiful voice, but Magda does not like songs Doris. Likes when Doris sings jazz standards. Of course, he laughs at me I'm crazy. My boy Daniel is a musician and vocalist, he can not see from birth and told me that Doris is a beautiful and powerful voice. Daniel loves this music, I recorded some songs Doris on CD to Daniel. Magda laughs at me that I can not live without Doris.
I listen to different music, I love opera, jazz, rock, gothic rock. I love David Bowie, Frank Sinatra, Pery Como, Andy WIlliams, Julie Andrews, Barbra Streisand, The carpenters, The Doors, Elle Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Michael Jackoson... I do not like Lady Gaga. It's not my climate. I don't like this music. I love Meryl Streep etc.
My heart belongs to Doris Often, before going to bed I think of Doris When I think of Doris, it makes me warm at heart
And people let them think what they want. Absolutely I do not care. With the forum I met people like me, people who also love Doris Doris is my goddess, an angel and a diamond

Bryan great thanks
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

webmaster

Nice to read both your posts, Jas and Ania - it seems we all have a slightly (individual) experience of being a DD fan - and that's how it should be - but we come together in our admiration for her.

My pet peeve are fans who think they know her better than anyone else and get angry if you dare to suggest that she might be a bit more complex or not completely perfect. Or to put it another way, they think the person is the image you see on the screen. Someone recently had some very nasty emails as a result of writing something about her - I really hate that kind of thing and it's not at all like Doris - as I imagine her to be.

But Que Sera, Sera, as someone said...

jmichael
Honorary Member

I think there's a devoutly protective group of fans who love Doris and believe they exclusively know what is in her best interest. It can become very controlling and even menacing when people decide something written or said about her is off base. While I understand the emotional impulse to shield this wonderful lady, I question whether any of the fans have a right to decide what is acceptable or unacceptable commentary. She is, after all, a public figure and fair game whether we like it or not. Doris seems to have a healthy perspective on all of the media interest and I bet she made peace with that a long time ago. She also doesn't seem to need anyone to speak up on her behalf. She has been quite capable of issuing effective responses whenever the tabloids cross the line.

Her legacy in films, records, television and animal well fare far eclipses any of the stuff that is bogus or written purely for commercial gain.

Michael
Michael H

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka »

My top three DD's co-actreess are:

Thelma Ritter
Eve Arden
Mary Wickes

I could tell my story of falling in love with Doris, but it was written here many times already. I enjoy to read other's stories, they are pretty the same as mine. There isn't a single day, I spent without her music.

Nada

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

My birthday yesterday and it was one of the best - ever! Made special (in part) by Miss Day.

A group of friends met at a place called Black Box for a jazz night where it's like going back in time to a 1940s dance! We had fab pizza, wine, wonderful friends, laughs,dances etc- before the actual event we ate in the restaurant bar bit with a big screen and what was being shown (although no sound)- Glass Bottom Boat! I asked the DJ if he'd play any Doris Day- he found 'I enjoy being a girl' - I had brought 'MY Heart' and he played You are so Beautiful as we all sang (he played it twice) and for others to hear - it was just amazing to me- they all said how fab it was and how Doris sounded amazing! The DJ then played 'I could do without you' - as we all sang - a lot of fun and Doris just had to be a big part of it- for me! On a confession note- a friend admitted buying me a boxed DVD Set of Doris' films years ago- but liked them so much they kept them! I didn't mind- spread the Doris love!

xpersian

Unread post by xpersian »

Happy Birthday to you Jast! It sounds wonderfully. I´m glad to heard that you enjoyed your birthday!

It reminded me last Christmas when I recieved ticket for Glenn Miller Orchestra concert. The second part of concert started Mr. Salden - (who is orchestra leader) by talked very nice and heartily about Doris and Les Brown and orchestra started to play Sentimental Journey and few others of their in common songs. It was wonderful to me and I felt so happy that he mentioned her.
And suddently I realized that Doris is really in many hearts of people all around the world.
Hana

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Yesterday my friend Magda, when I told her that I got the album My Heart, from our friend Raphael, she said why do not I brought the CD into her home because she also wants to hear. Magda helped me write a letter to Doris, because he knows English well enough. Magda laughed a little, because I wrote in a letter to Doris that he is my goddess and my angel, and that I love Doris. Magda said that I am crazy :wink: She was happy when together with a letter to Doris I put the disc Felix Nowowiejski of the composer, who was born in our city. Magda works in the museum dedicated to him :D On this album my boy performs a song on trumpet.

Magda likes when Doris sings "Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps". She likes this song. I wanted to send a gift for Doris that it was something Polish, and something of my city. Such a special souvenir for Doris :D
Jas1 xpersian beautiful stories :D
Ps: Happy Birthday o you Jast!
…………… ( …… ( ……( …… (
…………… () — () — () — ()
…………… || -— || — || — ||
………… .{*~*~*~*~*~*~*}
………@@@@@@@@@@@@@
…… { ~*~*~*~****~*~*~*~ }
… . @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
… .{*~*~*~* H A P P Y *~*~*~*}
…{ *~*~ * B I R T H D A Y * ~*~* }
…{ ~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~ }
…@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
……………… … )———(
………… ____ ,———–, ___
…… … /_________________\
*”˜˜”*°•._˜”*°••°*”˜_.•*”˜˜”*°•

Greetings from Polish :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Much appreciated.

webmaster

Thanks for sharing your birthday fun with us, Jas - you're an inspiration to us all!

I sometimes think about how long you've coming to the forum - almost as long as me! - and your loyalty to Doris (do you still send her tea?) and to her friends on here has been consistent over the years so I want to thank you for that as well. As someone who was born in Dublin and went to school in Cork (but Anglicised by coming to England aged 14!) I like to think it's an Irish trait but, thinking logically, I guess it's universal! :)

DayDreamer
Forum Friend

Unread post by DayDreamer »

Now that's a special birthday! :)
Would you please get off this line!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thank you Bryan and thank you all.

This Forum (like the great lady herself) has really helped me through some difficult times and I just adore coming on here and reading what you all have to say and of course, joining in. In particular (not being the best electronically) I admire the photographs (many unseen gems for me) and the time taken, and, artistic flair of many of your videos and music compilations that show such talent showcasing such talent! It is wonderful too to hear from those who actually know Doris or have met her (you are so lucky)!

A friend of mine asked recently = 'let's go to Carmel and see if we see her' - my reply was from the heart - much as I'd love to visit this wonderful place - and it must be wonderful if Doris thinks it is- it would not be in the hope of seeing her- as we know that is highly unlikely (though it would be the icing on a very beautiful cake)! When I expressed this I realised that Doris has actually rubbed off on me to the extent that I now [like her as a fan] instinctively respect 'the star' her privacy and her home life - so hanging around Quail lodge in hope ....is not going to happen!

One of my friends present is an ex-band singer/ jazz singer - who was singing with local bands in Ireland, and then in England and the Chanel Islands - from the 1950s until she retired only around 5 years ago. I was particularly interested in her view when the DJ played You are so Beautiful - the view of another pro- and this lady was amazing! She listened and you could just tell she was listening from a different perspective/ view point - and she was smiling and on completion stated 'perfection' - that says it all really!

So thank you all again - and especially Bryan for creating this wonderful uptopia for us all. With all the problems this county has had in the name of religion - I have always felt both very Irish and very British (my God mother was London born and very British - right down to afternoon tea (not tea bags) in china cups etc) - and I just love how the Irish /UK has treasured Doris Day.

Final thought - as I and another friend took the main parts of Calam & Bill in that wonderful spot on Friday- I was conscious that all of us (12 in total) were singing at the top of our voices and some people at other tables were too and many were smiling and obviously enjoying the song- very few people can do that- but Doris Day can - she can still create magic in a room thousands of miles away!

The next day I was still high from the 7th and maybe still a bit tipsy- however, as i bought my weekly fruit n veg at an outdoor stall, i treated them to a rendition of 'Que Sera...' and again- the 3 ladies who work there joined in- right there on the street along with 2 customers. It was kind of strange in a wonderful way to be standing in the street around 11am singing Que Sera - before I left the lady selling me my oranges etc - told me to bottle whatever made me like this - a lot of what has made me 'me' is Doris Day - and I sincerely mean that!

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

Jas1 wrote:Thank you Bryan and thank you all.

This Forum (like the great lady herself) has really helped me through some difficult times and I just adore coming on here and reading what you all have to say and of course, joining in. In particular (not being the best electronically) I admire the photographs (many unseen gems for me) and the time taken, and, artistic flair of many of your videos and music compilations that show such talent showcasing such talent! It is wonderful too to hear from those who actually know Doris or have met her (you are so lucky)!

A friend of mine asked recently = 'let's go to Carmel and see if we see her' - my reply was from the heart - much as I'd love to visit this wonderful place - and it must be wonderful if Doris thinks it is- it would not be in the hope of seeing her- as we know that is highly unlikely (though it would be the icing on a very beautiful cake)! When I expressed this I realised that Doris has actually rubbed off on me to the extent that I now [like her as a fan] instinctively respect 'the star' her privacy and her home life - so hanging around Quail lodge in hope ....is not going to happen!

One of my friends present is an ex-band singer/ jazz singer - who was singing with local bands in Ireland, and then in England and the Chanel Islands - from the 1950s until she retired only around 5 years ago. I was particularly interested in her view when the DJ played You are so Beautiful - the view of another pro- and this lady was amazing! She listened and you could just tell she was listening from a different perspective/ view point - and she was smiling and on completion stated 'perfection' - that says it all really!

So thank you all again - and especially Bryan for creating this wonderful uptopia for us all. With all the problems this county has had in the name of religion - I have always felt both very Irish and very British (my God mother was London born and very British - right down to afternoon tea (not tea bags) in china cups etc) - and I just love how the Irish /UK has treasured Doris Day.

Final thought - as I and another friend took the main parts of Calam & Bill in that wonderful spot on Friday- I was conscious that all of us (12 in total) were singing at the top of our voices and some people at other tables were too and many were smiling and obviously enjoying the song- very few people can do that- but Doris Day can - she can still create magic in a room thousands of miles away!

The next day I was still high from the 7th and maybe still a bit tipsy- however, as i bought my weekly fruit n veg at an outdoor stall, i treated them to a rendition of 'Que Sera...' and again- the 3 ladies who work there joined in- right there on the street along with 2 customers. It was kind of strange in a wonderful way to be standing in the street around 11am singing Que Sera - before I left the lady selling me my oranges etc - told me to bottle whatever made me like this - a lot of what has made me 'me' is Doris Day - and I sincerely mean that!
thank you dear Jas...I do admire you very much...I am also a Librarian...because of our Doris I have met a wonderful group of fantastic friends,,and you are one of them

jmichael
Honorary Member

Jas1 wrote:My birthday yesterday and it was one of the best - ever! Made special (in part) by Miss Day.

A group of friends met at a place called Black Box for a jazz night where it's like going back in time to a 1940s dance! We had fab pizza, wine, wonderful friends, laughs,dances etc- before the actual event we ate in the restaurant bar bit with a big screen and what was being shown (although no sound)- Glass Bottom Boat! I asked the DJ if he'd play any Doris Day- he found 'I enjoy being a girl' - I had brought 'MY Heart' and he played You are so Beautiful as we all sang (he played it twice) and for others to hear - it was just amazing to me- they all said how fab it was and how Doris sounded amazing! The DJ then played 'I could do without you' - as we all sang - a lot of fun and Doris just had to be a big part of it- for me! On a confession note- a friend admitted buying me a boxed DVD Set of Doris' films years ago- but liked them so much they kept them! I didn't mind- spread the Doris love!
James, please accept my belated happy birthday wishes! Sounds like a wonderful celebration and so well deserved. I've always believed that if you want to know the quality of a person, look at the type of friends they attract and the longevity of those friendships. In your case, there is little doubt that you've managed to have a solid group of loving friends around you because of who you are. Bravo!

Cheers,
Michael
Michael H

jmichael
Honorary Member

It just occurred to me that I forgot to include the wonderful Edie Adams on the poll. Shame on me. She was terrific in "Lover, Come Back." I thought her sassy take on Rebel Davis was a hoot and a half.

Forgive me, Edie.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

You should still be able to add/edit the poll, Michael.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Whoops. looks like I deleted all of the votes.... YIKES.

Help!
M
Michael H

webmaster

It's okay - we can all vote again. :P

Janis, Martha and Allyn for me.