MY HEART USA Edition Release

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

MY HEART USA Edition Release

Unread post by webmaster »

"NPR’s Award-winning American correspondent Scott Simon has interviewed Doris Day. His piece with the Hollywood icon will air this MORNING, (26 Nov 2011) as part of his highly-rated “Weekend Edition” program. Please do check your local listings, but the story will broadcast close to 8:45am in most American territories, and the entire “Weekend Edition” program usually repeats again 2 hours later.
If you will not be near a radio, you can also listen to NPR live via their website."

http://www.dorisdaytribute.com/blog/201 ... nd-edition

And if anyone manages to record any of the broadcasts, please share with us on here.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

howard
Special Contributer

Re: MY HEART USA Edition Release

Unread post by howard »

Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Thanks Howard - I noticed you can download the interview.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Doesn't our Ms Day sound great! Wonderful to hear. There'll be another phoner on the U.S. tv show "Good Morning, America." It's scheduled for this coming Wednesday (Nov. 30, 2011). She's also scheduled for what I assume to be another phoner some time soon with the "Ellen DeGeneres Show." I'm really digging all this attention on our girl! I hope it all helps to get the CD on the charts.
Like Irene Dunne done.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!!!!!!!! :wink: What will be.....will be forever! :D

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

On Ellen too! Let us know when! Just heard her on NPR and she was wonderful and warm and funny!

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Yeppie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D NPR is the greatest!
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes, Doris sounds great doesn't she? We are so lucky to have all this media attention aren't we? Fabulous!

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

That is SO fantastic! I will watch for her on GMA, and please let us know when she will be on The Ellen DeGeneres Show! :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

This was a wonderful interview. Loved it and thanks for posting. More to look forward to soon with GMA and Ellen DeGeneres, who is a huge animal lover. So much to be grateful for these days.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

I think that Doris is enjoying her 'new found fame'! It's a great affirmation of her talent and the fact that she has brought pleasure to millions during, initially, the war years of the 1940s with recordings such as "Sentimental Journey" and, later, her long career as a singer and actress and, later still, her campaign for caring for animals. She has a place in history and she is still highly regarded today, as we see, not just because of her talent, I think, but because she is a genuine and caring human being who has contributed much to society.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Well said, and so right Bryan.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

webmaster wrote:I think that Doris is enjoying her 'new found fame'! It's a great affirmation of her talent and the fact that she has brought pleasure to millions during, initially, the war years of the 1940s with recordings such as "Sentimental Journey" and, later, her long career as a singer and actress and, later still, her campaign for caring for animals. She has a place in history and she is still highly regarded today, as we see, not just because of her talent, I think, but because she is a genuine and caring human being who has contributed much to society.
Exactly Bryan, you're right :D
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka »

Doris sounds happy and we are happy with her. It is possible, another new CD is comming soon. She said: Que sera, sera.

Dear Doris,
congratulations for Grammy hall of fame induction for the third hit song.
We love you and are so proud on you.
Nada

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Nada - much as I'd like to believe that (and be proved wrong) - Doris said in 1989 - 'I think the best is yet to come and I want to do some more [acting]...' - I'm not saying she doesn't mean it when she says it, but I would think it is highly unlikely there would be enough material for another new release - Oh how I'd love to be wrong on this - maybe there are other recordings stored away, who knows? We should just treasure the moment. Got my Christmas card and letter posted to Miss Day today - with big congrats on My Heart and the success and how well she sounds and looks - she is truly one of a kind, I ADORE HER - as we all do, I know.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

There is a very nice Associated Press story by Lynn Elber called, Doris Day Sings out for the first time in 17 years. You can google it to see it.

webmaster

Thanks Ray!

Doris Day sings out for first time in 17 years
November 28, 2011 3:25 PM
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Doris Day, America's pert, honey-voiced sweetheart of the 1950s and 1960s, beguiled audiences with her on-screen romances opposite top Hollywood leading men Cary Grant, Rock Hudson and Jack Lemmon.

She adored and misses them all, says the 88-year-old Day. But her deepest yearning is reserved for her late son Terry Melcher, a record producer whose touch and voice are part of Day's first album in nearly two decades.

"Oh, I wish he could be here and be a part of it. I would just love that. But it didn't work out that way," Day said, her voice subdued. It's a voice rarely heard since she withdrew from Hollywood in the early 1980s to the haven she made for herself in the Northern California town of Carmel, where Clint Eastwood was once mayor.

"My Heart," set for a Dec. 2 U.S. release, has induced Day to edge back to public attention. The CD includes 13 previously unreleased tracks recorded over a 40-year span, including covers of Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful," the Lovin' Spoonful's "Daydream" and a handful of standards. All proceeds go to Day's longtime cause, animal welfare.

A condensed version of the album was released in Britain earlier this fall and landed on the top 10 chart.

Melcher, who worked with bands including the Byrds and the Beach Boys, produced most of the songs and sang on two. He died of melanoma in 2004 at age 62, leaving a void that draws tears from Day when she speaks of him.

"I loved doing it and having Terry with me. That was important, just for me," she said in an interview from Carmel. "I wouldn't think it would be what it is. ... I just love that he is on it. And I miss him terribly, but I have that."

The album's release coincides with new recognition for the actress and singer.

It was announced this week that her recording of "Que Sera, Sera" "Whatever Will Be, Will Be"), featured in Alfred Hitchcock's 1956 thriller "The Man Who Knew Too Much" starring Day and Jimmy Stewart, will be included in the Grammy Hall of Fame. In January, Day is to be honored with the Los Angeles Film Critics Association's career achievement award.

And that career was storied. She once ruled the box office in a string of fluffy comedies including "Pillow Talk" with Hudson (which earned her a best actress nomination) and "That Touch of Mink" opposite Grant, movies that showcased her verve and fresh-faced sexiness. Her sweet vocals helped make hits of pop tunes including "Sentimental Journey" and Oscar-winners "Que Sera, Sera" and "Secret Love."

On screen, Day often played the determined single career girl who could be swept off her feet (but never into premarital sex) by such irresistible suitors as Grant or three-time co-star Hudson. She was also the loving wife and mother in such movies as "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" (1960), with David Niven.

Day came off as a straight-shooter who didn't let her beauty go to her head; she was no "Mad Men" toy. Granted, she was too ladylike to fit the definition of a dame, in the parlance of her early career. But she could hold her ground without fraying the hem of her tone-perfect cinematic femininity, or her co-star's masculinity.

She ventured into exceptions to her signature romantic-comedies, most notably the Hitchcock thriller and "Love Me or Leave Me" from 1955, in which Day played jazz singer Ruth Etting in the story of Etting's career and tempestuous marriage.

Day said she had no quarrel with the studio system under which she worked, one in which her films were largely dictated. She had stumbled into the craft, after all, pushed from band and club singer to actress by her agent. Day got the first role she tested for, in 1948's "Romance on the High Seas," and sailed on from there.

"I was just put there, put there, put there. And I've never gotten over that. How could life be so good for me and I was never looking? I was never looking for it," she said.

As for her personal life, she said, "There are always things that you go through that aren't perfect." For Day, that included three divorces and widowhood. When her third husband died, she learned that he and a business partner had lost her multimillion-dollar fortune. (She righted herself to some extent with the 1968-73 sitcom "The Doris Day Show," and a lawsuit.)

Her decision to leave Los Angeles and the industry behind was an impromptu one, Day said. She had regularly visited Carmel-By-The-Sea, decided it suited her and made the move up the California coast and away.

"I just loved what I was doing. But then, when I came up here, I thought well, I had my turn, and that's just fine. And the other people are coming up and starring and it was their turn. I didn't think a thing about not working," she said.

Instead, she devoted herself to promoting the well-being of animals with the Doris Day Animal Foundation, which she created in 1978 and which is the new album's beneficiary. Her own pets, including some half-dozen cats, have it good: She built a glass-ceiling extension off her house so the felines can enjoy the view without the risks of going outside.

Why the attention to animals? "They're the most perfect things on Earth," Day replied. "They're loyal. They love you. And they'll never forget you. ... I think they're put here for us to learn what love is all about."

They're also steadfast companions as her circle of family and friends has been narrowed by death. She's still in regular touch with two-time co-star James Garner - who shares anecdotes about their working relationship in his newly published autobiography, "The Garner Files" - but she notes sadly how many other colleagues have passed away.

Although dampened by loss, the buoyancy that infused her work in movies and music remains part of Day. In her ninth decade of life, however, the pace has changed.

"Life Is Just a Bowl of Cherries" ("Life is just a bowl of cherries. So live and laugh at it all"), a snappy tune and a favorite since she danced to it as a 5-year-old in Cincinnati, is on her new album. But the arrangement has turned it into "beautiful ballad," Day said

"When I sang it slowly, it became a super song," she said.

The same can be said of Day, in any tempo.

Read more: http://www.thetelegraph.com/articles/da ... z1f5Hkm3fX

jmichael
Honorary Member

Another wonderful interview. As Bryan mentioned, you can tell that Doris is enjoying the attention after her long period of inactivity. I suspect even though she is a very positive, in-the-moment person, she may feel a bit isolated and misses her close friends and colleagues who've passed on. I'm so glad she still chats with James Garner on a regular basis.

Michael
Michael H

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Another Reuters report says all Doris wanted was to get married to a very nice man, have a house and cook. She laughed and Added, " I still don't cook"! :D

webmaster

"All Doris wanted was to get married to a very nice man, have a house and cook."

She always says that but I think she would have been bored! It's one of those "if only..." things. Would any woman really prefer making meatloaf to hanging out with Cary Grant, James Garner, Rock, Cagney, etc? Or washing-up to being in a recording studio? I don't think so. Many people have commented on her intelligence - so what would she have done when she'd finished all that housework? She'd have probably organised the neighbourhood and ended up in politics and become another Hilary Clinton - all the while saying, "All I ever wanted was to get married to a very nice man, have a house and cook." :lol:

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

I'll tell you all one thing: Doris is amazing, wonderful!Recently, even the Polish radio journalist admired her voice and the album "My Heart" :D

Greetings from Polish:) Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

There was no mention of Doris on Good Morning America today? What happened to the segment???

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Ray - It was very odd because it was listed as being on today. I contacted ABC and they wouldn't say anything - would not even acknowledge it has been scheduled. Very odd that no one mentioned on air that it was not airing as scheduled, etc. Hmmmmmm

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

TV today is so much like Tabloid material, I haven't watched The morning shows in a long while and did not enjoy it but I hope all is well and have no idea why Doris would cancell. Don't want any negative slant with the CD being released Friday. They should have said something at ABC.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Very odd to say the least. My understanding is the phone interview was conducted several days ago, so I doubt they canceled her entirely. Maybe they are waiting until closer to the CD release date.

Michael
Michael H