SMALL TALK

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: SMALL TALK

Unread post by jmichael »

webmaster wrote:Whatever they do, I'll bet it will be one long drama of all the bad things that have happened to her - it will be everything we know already and will give the impression she never knew a happy day in her life - it will make Ruth Etting look like Julie Andrews.
Hey, Julie's life has not been all sweetness and light. Besides, she went topless in S.O.B. :oops: and that alone should rule her out of the Miss Goody Two Shoes category IMO.

As for a film about Doris' life, the material is there for a wonderful film if they can find the right script, director and, most importantly, actress, to do it justice. I'd also prefer a feature film over television but HBO does this sort of thing very well. A two part film on HBO would be OK with me.

Michael H
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by ray »

Its just my opinion but Julie Andrews doesn't hold a candle next to Doris. She just popped up with Mary Poppins and got the role that was so Doris in The Sound Of Music. Going topless doesn't make her cool or appealing. Didn't even like the short haircut on Julie, not so great with long hair either. Sorry but Like South Pacific Doris was edged out of by dubious leading ladies. I am not bitter though :( Rats :!: As Kaye Ballard would say :lol:

jmichael
Honorary Member

Julie is no Doris. On that point, we agree. That said, I really like Julie and think she's done wonderful work over the years. I especially enjoyed her performance in Victor/Victoria. As for Sound of Music, I'm glad Doris did not get the role of a singing nun. It would have added to the unfair and inaccurate Virgin label that detracted from her film work. South Pacific is a different story; that part should have gone to Doris and I think she would taken an Oscar home for it. A real missed opportunity.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Agree with you about Julie Andrews, Michael, she's a real trooper - was thinking more of her image when I mentioned her. She should have got the "My Fair Lady" role as she'd played it on the stage with Rex Harrison, as Doris should have got South Pacific - but Doris would have been completely wrong for The Sound of Music - too 'American' for one thing.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Your right Doris should not have played the singing nun!!! But she was Nellie for South Pacific!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I too agree about Julie Andrews. A one-of-a-kind performer with much appeal, and a beautiful singing voice. She was perfect for "Sound of Music." And "Victor, Victoria!" ... I love that film and the Mancini score is wonderful! I understand Fox bought the rights to "Sound" for Doris, but after the failure of "Jumbo," they decided that the public was more interested in seeing her do comedy.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Well I guess everyone has heard by now Doris was overlooked again by the Academy. This is such a shame, I am sure they all are well aware how much she has given of her great talent over the years and still they refuse to recognize her this is so unfair. Well is there anything fare anymore about Hollywood :x

http://www.goldderby.com/films/news/333 ... evens.html

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Hello forum friends, I hope you are all doing well! I miss not being able to log on and talk to you all as much as I used to.
Just to put my two cents on the Andrews/Day debate. Although I do love Julie Andrews, obviously Doris is my choice. While I loved Andrews in The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins (both of which I watched this week) those are the only two of her films (other than the Princess Diaries movies which aren't really even hers) that I will watch on a regular basis. Day's films, however, I can choose any of them at anytime and I'll be ready to watch them.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

flower
Forum Friend

Unread post by flower »

Lauren Benjamin wrote:Comments about religion and politics absolutely DO NOT belong on a forum such as this or any other forum that has as its subject matter generalities other than those that I mentioned.

We were all getting along find and enjoying the fruits of the artistic endeavors of Puck, Bryan, Barbara and others. I looked forward to a visit to the forum every day in hopes that I'd see yet another masterpiece. If we are going to discuss politics and other topics other than Doris then I'm not interested.

Take you political comments to one of dozens of forums on the net that exist for that particular reason.

Yesterday I had not yet finished my first cup of coffee when I received 3 - yes, 3 - emails from disgruntled Day fans from this forum about the political comments being fostered in *Small Talk*. And why isn't "Small Talk" in the main topic called SMALL TALK???????

For those wondering, I am 1000% a Democrat and have been all of my life. But I prefer to pass on any discussions about the Clint Eastwood debacle, which was the topic of discussion the day after and will be the one and only remembrance of an otherwise vacuous, noninclusive, uppity, ludicrous Repuke convention.
HAHAHAHA! An old man talking to an empty chair!

You've all had your say; I've had mine. Let's get back to talking about Doris, which is the one topic that binds a group of very diverse individuals.

Lauren

HERE, HERE I agree with Lauren. Back to Doris.
And thank you Lauren for posting this!!!

webmaster

The thing is, Flower, we had already gone back to Doris and this is raising the issue again. :lol:

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Did anyone watch brothers Rainer and Atticus on the Ellen Show today? Rainer is eight and Atticus is five. They know all the names of every U.S. president, who has sideburns and who has beards. Rainer plans to run for office in 2040 and Atticus in 2048.

The most heartfelt and touching moment occured when Rainer stated that when he takes the presidential office, he will not be working for Republicans or Democrats, he will be working for America.

This is an important lesson for us all regardless of what country we live in. Rainer's words should give all hope for the future.

Anyone interested in seeing Rainer and Atticus can catch the clip on You Tube.

Inspiring.
Johnny

flower
Forum Friend

Unread post by flower »

webmaster wrote:The thing is, Flower, we had already gone back to Doris and this is raising the issue again. :lol:

Always late to the party. My bad :oops:

webmaster

Which probably makes the point that we should be able to discuss whatever we want - people do anyway - as someone said; there are a vast number of places here to talk about Doris anyway and I did say at the beginning that people could talk about whatever was on their mind. There's nothing to stop any of you from starting a topic called "Small Talk: Doris Day only". :wink:

However, like Tony Blair, I don't think we should 'do God' as (some of) you Yanks seem to have very fixed ideas and seem to be somewhat intolerant of a more fluid and questioning attitude common in other societies (like the UK) and it just gets into 'I believe this' and 'I believe that'.

Re the trouble and deaths around the world over the US Muslim 'mock-umentary' - that would be seen as a hate crime over here - why don't you kick those people out? I can't believe that Romney criticised Obama and Clinton for condemning it. Says a lot about him. Cat amongst pigeon time?

Well, you did raise the issue again, Flower, dear! :twisted:

And what are the US/UK doing in these countries anyway - apart from getting killed? We should pull out and stop these wars now.

webmaster

Back to Doris - have people seen this on the Biography website (short new video):

http://www.biography.com/people/doris-d ... y-42155996

On the same site - under Famous Recluses - it says of Doris:
Actress Doris Day was one of the biggest stars in the world in the 1950s and '60s, but effectively dropped out of sight in recent years, and reportedly lives alone on a ranch in rural California. She was awarded an Oscar for lifetime achievement in film in 1989— but skipped the Oscars ceremony that year, and the award was bestowed in absentia."
That last part isn't right, is it?

webmaster

Did anyone see Shirley MacLaine in Downton Abbey tonight? What a hoot!

Apparently "OSCAR winner Shirley MacLaine would only take a bigger part in Downton Abbey if her dog could come too" - sounds like Doris!:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainm ... ne-1325015

See also:
http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/8 ... TV-Rivalry

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Kinda glad Doris's pet distributing project didn't pan out, don't know if I would have liked seeing Doris on dog food cans at the supermarket :shock:

HilB126
Forum Friend

Unread post by HilB126 »

I saw "Downton Abbey" tonight! It was absolutely fabulous. As much as I love Shirley MacLaine, Maggie Smith steals every single scene she's in! I'm so glad it's back on TV with a new season!

webmaster

Back to politics for a minute: :wink:

Tuesday 18 September 2012 (London)
Mitt Romney secret video: why remarks to Republican donors tell us he won't be President
His supporters are straining every sinew to defend the indefensible. They've lost their narrative completely. This week he probably lost the election.
Mitt Romney’s campaign strategy seems to be twofold: make life as hard as possible for your most devoted followers; convince everybody else that you’re the stereotypical and heartless capitalist brute of Democrat caricature. In the past 24 hours, he’s executed this strategy very effectively.
If you watch the secret footage of him from a Republican fundraiser, in which he dismisses 47 per cent of Americans as freeloaders “who pay no income tax” and behave like “victims”, you see a man trying to energise his base. But James Carville called it right when he said that any campaign trying to energise the base is “a campaign going down the toilet”. Much more importantly, it shows that Romney doesn’t understand America.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 52187.html

LOS ANGELES TUESDAY 18 SEPTEMBER 2012
Mitt Romney: it's not my job to worry about the poor
Secret video emerges of Republican telling rich donors that 47 per cent of Americans are 'victims who pay no taxes and will vote Obama':
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 45203.html

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Back to Doris......When she was doing her TV Series the in thing was to do it in front of a live audience, like Mary tyler Moore, Lucy and Caril Burnett. Much preferred Doris's movie like filming instead of a staged look. If you want that go to a broadway show. Here I go with Murder She Wrote again!LOL That was filmed like Doris's show and quite effective. Funny in the 12 years of Murder She Wrote there was never a gay character. Doris had Lanse and Lester as her neighbors on her show. I am not on a gay ban wagon, but its a part of life and strange to be totally ignored. But with the treatment of Rock Hudson it was the norm even for Hollywood!

jmichael
Honorary Member

This one is a head scratcher. You have to wonder why anyone would implode their own campaign by insulting nearly half of the American population. Any why fluff the crowns of those in attendance at the fundraiser, knowing full well that most of them already feel that way? He had absolutely nothing to gain by going there. This gaffe has to be chalked-up to arrogance or a warped sense of invulnerability. You would also think that Mitt is savvy enough to know that everything is recorded and leaked to the media these days. Just ask Kate Middleton and Prince Harry.

I'm ready to throw them all out of office and start over again.

Michael
Michael H

jmichael
Honorary Member

ray wrote:Back to Doris......When she was doing her TV Series the in thing was to do it in front of a live audience, like Mary tyler Moore, Lucy and Caril Burnett. Much preferred Doris's movie like filming instead of a staged look. If you want that go to a broadway show. Here I go with Murder She Wrote again!LOL That was filmed like Doris's show and quite effective. Funny in the 12 years of Murder She Wrote there was never a gay character. Doris had Lanse and Lester as her neighbors on her show. I am not on a gay ban wagon, but its a part of life and strange to be totally ignored. But with the treatment of Rock Hudson it was the norm even for Hollywood!
I actually think filming in front of a live audience would have helped the show. I know that Doris doesn't like to work that way, but I think a live audience brings a certain level of energy to a show and it also gives the actors and the director real time feedback. If a joke or a line isn't working, they can fix it on the spot and move on. By then, Doris had become increasingly distant from her audience thanks in large part to Marty's over-protective shield and self-serving interests. Doris might have found a new joy in acting if she had allowed the show to be filmed in front of a live audience.

Michael
Michael H

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Don't agree, Doris did all that with Movies and no audience. I think the audience is an ego trip and distracting. Just my opinion. My least favorite DD film was Lucky Me. How did woman wear those big wide dress's without falling over? As the one in the opening scene. Liked the florida local and Nancy Walker and the songs though. There is and old thirties type dance hall here in Gulfport, Florida with a broadwalk and beach and palm trees and reminds me of Lucky me. Would love to dance the night away with Doris there :wink:

webmaster

I admit that Obama hasn't lived up to his promises - US politics is still a dirty game and "Yes We Can!" seems a faint hope - all very disappointing to those of us who hoped for better things for America and who wish you well. He recently sounded very George Bush like in his attitude to 'the war on terror' and I fear he has 'gone native' somewhat in Washington - however, he is still a 'safer pair of hands' than Romney, who has already given Israel the green light to attack Iran, which could start World War 3.

You gave Bush a second chance - hopefully Obama would use a second term to keep some of the promises he made to the US and to the rest of the world,

(TV over here is covering the US elections extensively.)

(Sorry Ray - keep trying! :wink: )

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Bryan time out!LOL I wil make you watch the video of Doris and me dancing over and over again till you puke! Now back to our regular programming...... :roll:

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

No matter who wins, we are in a mess! Only God and maybe Doris can save us! Bad script and directors!!!