SMALL TALK

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: SMALL TALK

Unread post by jmichael »

ray wrote:No matter who wins, we are in a mess! Only God and maybe Doris can save us! Bad script and directors!!!
Agree. To the point where I can barely watch the national news anymore. Too depressing.

My quandary is, why isn't there a spot on the ballot for a candidate who is fiscally responsible and socially progressive? Understand those traits are oxymorons in today's polarized political environment, but I am all for reducing big government spending and paying down our debt. At the same time, I want to elect leaders who don't shy away from equal rights for all taxpaying citizens. Someone's sexual orientation, religious beliefs or ethnicity should not reduce them to second-class citizen status. We should all be for this, if we support the principles behind the Constitution IMO.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Ray, don't bring God into it - he's on a tour of the universe and won't be back any time soon and Doris is too busy saving the animals and she can't do everything.

Michael, re "why isn't there a spot on the ballot for a candidate who is fiscally responsible and socially progressive?" I think anyone standing for President would claim to have those abilities and would be expected to have them. Maybe you are thinking, "why isn't there a spot on the ballot for a candidate I can trust?" It's the same the world over - and we've got a conservative party who's ideas are not too different from Mr Romney's, cut welfare and pensions, increase student fees, give more to the rich in the hope it will 'trickle down', watch unemployment rise, bash the poor, etc. I'm getting depressed thing about it...

I really like "Lucky Me", Ray - it's a routine Hollywood musical but Doris and the gang make it special, I think.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Re "Lucky Me:" It's really a bad script ... unbelievable situations, BUT I really do enjoy the musical numbers.
Like Irene Dunne done.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Bryan could you dance around in a dress like the opening of Lucky Me :?: You can have The Graduate and Lucky Me, I'll take Caprice (wig and all) and the who- dun- it Santa episode from the DD show :wink: Doris and Duston Hoffman, yuck :lol: :!: May have won an Oscar but they could have found something else against type. Besides who needs Oscar, once and for all :evil: To go against type Doris should have played the wicked witch of the west, she rode a bike!

webmaster

Ray, you are talking in Morse Code but yes, I would love dance around - not in a dress though as I'm a bit flat-chested - you've sort of lost me after that. :lol:

jmichael
Honorary Member

The mistake many people make is to vote against their own best interests in the name of religion or what they purport to be the exclusive path to heaven and greater rewards beyond. Clinging to the notion that only one belief system will unlock the door to the pearly gates is as foolish as voting for a candidate solely because they support gay rights or solely because they want to deny a woman's right to choose what is in the best interest of her unborn child and her body. It's not that cut and dried.

As I said before, I wish we had a presidential candidate who would work with Congress on a substantive plan to reduce the deficit, turn the unemployment rate around and fight for the rights of all taxpaying citizens. Obama is a bit too far to left for my taste and I wish he evidenced more of Bill Clinton's centrist thinking. That said, I could never vote for someone like Romney who has already discarded and insulted 47% of the American population. Where are his Christian values when it comes to caring about people who can no longer afford healthcare, get a job, or feed their families? They don't matter to him because he says they won't vote for him anyway.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Quick reply before I hit the sack; Christian values - what are they they? Are they better than human values? Any kind of values? Was Gandi a Christian? Is the Dali Lama a Christian? Does that mean they are inferior to us? I hate all this religious racism - we're just all ants on a plant and not nearly as wise as owls.

jmichael
Honorary Member

I chose the term Christian values to point out the hypocrisy of a candidate who claims to have them and then dismisses 47% of the voters as non-tax paying "victims" who exist only to live off the government.
Michael H

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Just ordered the DD Christmas DVD with the Holiday shows from the second, third and fourth season of her TV show. I'll be home for Christmas watching these Jolly Holiday shows :D Had to rebuy the dvd as lost in my move to Florida three years ago!! Ho Ho Ho!!!

webmaster

Yes, get that, Michael.

Ray is the only one on Planet Doris right now - but, Ray, you were the one who introduced politics to the discussion! It's nice to see you posting again though... :)

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Bryan end it with the politics talk!!!LOL Got your picture, your a handsome chap!

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I would like to open a new topic, if that's all right? It's Doris Day related.

I don't know if any of you have experienced this, but sometimes I find that I prefer to watch her 2 television specials rather than her films or television series. I think it's because even though the specials are scripted somewhat, the specials allow us to see the "real" Doris in a way. Rather than her playing other characters, she isn't playing anything. She's just being herself.

Any thoughts?
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Yes,I understand what you mean Megan,it is like you feel closer to Doris as a personThe situations are realistic and you somehow find the answers in the show that make you feel comfortable
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

howard wrote:Re "Lucky Me:" It's really a bad script ... unbelievable situations, BUT I really do enjoy the musical numbers.
ME TOO

jmichael
Honorary Member

BabeWilliams wrote:I would like to open a new topic, if that's all right? It's Doris Day related.

I don't know if any of you have experienced this, but sometimes I find that I prefer to watch her 2 television specials rather than her films or television series. I think it's because even though the specials are scripted somewhat, the specials allow us to see the "real" Doris in a way. Rather than her playing other characters, she isn't playing anything. She's just being herself.

Any thoughts?
I agree. I remember anxiously awaiting the broadcast of her first special because it took nearly a year after it was taped to reach the airwaves. I don't recall why either. But this was one of the few glimpses we had into her personality beyond a part she playing at the time. Doris did very little press and those were mostly print interviews. So the first special was exciting and it felt like a real breaktrhough to me. I remember it aired right after the Burt Bacharach Special which featured Barbra Streisand and Tom Jones as his guests. So this was quite a night for diva watchers and fans of great popular music. Rex Reed wrote a lengthy review of both specials and gave them extensive praise.

I like Doris Day Today too but the comedy sketches with Tim Conway were pretty bad IMO. Musically, though, Doris was in top form and I think her version of The Way We Were is right up there with Streisand. The duets with John Denver were terrific too and Doris looked fantastic. I wish someone at CBS had thought of having her do a musical special with Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald as her special guests. In the right hands, that combination of musical talent would have won a boatload of Emmys and reignited her recording career IMO.

Michael
Michael H

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Someone said Do Not Disturb ruined Doris's career. If nothing else it was that dreadful first season of her tv show. Marty was so out of touch by then he thought Mayberry and Andy Griffin were still the rage. And fashioned the show after that. Maybe thats why they had trouble finding a sponser for the first TV Special. Doris's first try at TV should have been a slick mystery type show like Rock Hudson's not the country bumkin. Maybe Marty and CBS thought all she had to do was appear no matter the format. i think other powers than Marty shaped the strong image Doris had at the start of her career. Where did they go and why did they desert her. Many movies careers after a long period dry up and thats the way it is. What Doris left us was wonderful and maybe as she knew it was time to move on to something else.

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

I agree Michael! It would have been nice to have Ella on her special, a nice tribute! I didn't care much for the Conway sketches either, but Doris makes most anything watchable, and I do love her chemistry with John Denver, when she sings Follow Me, and the other 2 musical sketches he did with her. She sang beautifully in the Doris Day Today special.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Doris didn't need to be on the silver screen 60 years, what she gave in 20 will last forever. Quality not quanity. Que Sera Sera......... :twisted:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

And a leading lady from her first film to her last (with very few exceptions).

webmaster

True, J.

I think she deferred to Ginger Rogers and a few others but generally she was 'the star'.
Thinking about it, it should have been her name before Rock's as she was a bigger star wasn't she?

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

jmichael wrote: Musically, though, Doris was in top form and I think her version of The Way We Were is right up there with Streisand. The duets with John Denver were terrific too and Doris looked fantastic. I wish someone at CBS had thought of having her do a musical special with Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald as her special guests. In the right hands, that combination of musical talent would have won a boatload of Emmys and reignited her recording career IMO.

Michael
I agree entirely. I, personally, like Doris' rendition of The Way We Were better than Steisand's. My favorite duet with John Denver is Follow Me, it's so beautiful. Day, Sinatra, and Fitzgerald would have been a fantastic team for a tv special!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Bryan: I think Doris was billed second to Rock because Rock had been under contract to Universal for some time. It must have been in his contract.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

howard wrote:Bryan: I think Doris was billed second to Rock because Rock had been under contract to Universal for some time. It must have been in his contract.
clever boy fantastic thank you

webmaster

Could be, Howard, but never heard of that clause before. Maybe also because Doris made a few not-as-popular films before they teamed in Pillow Talk? Tunnel of Love, It Happened to Jane, etc?

edie

Unread post by edie »

Last night I decided to google the Melchers in North Adams, Massachusetts. That is where Marty was born. Some interesting things are there. It mentions a lot that Marty was married to actress Doris Day. There are some pictures of Marty and Doris--some I have never seen before. I'm not very computer savy so have no idea how to copy them into the photo topic--you younger generation are really good at that. Also there is an article on important people who have visited North Adams and it talks about when Doris and Marty were there and she helped in her in-laws store; also a picture of she and Marty in the yard with a pile of leaves. I think it was at the time they went to Cincinnati for the premiere of Calamity Jane. Looks like North Adams is a pretty place.