SMALL TALK

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: SMALL TALK

Unread post by Jas1 »

That's a really good idea Ray.

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by ray »

Included in such a DVD could have Doris singing Crocadile Rock, which they used in the second showing of the Rock Hudson segment on the cable series. Also this years Aids walk in California with the kind letter from Doris cheering them on would be a nice touch too. Could be called Doris and Rock On Television. Better later than never for an AIDs awareness that had such a stigma back in 1985. Their real lives became exposed to us on televison right before our eyes and at the press conference. Doris said in her heartfelt tribute to Rock that something good will come of the experience and that is our enlightment and understanding. Doris and Rock were THE movie couple of the last century. Wonder who could produce such a project? Whenever Doris pops up in the limelight Rock of course is always mentioned and for good reasons. Good Morning America was shown only two years before with a nice relaxed setting at Doris's home in Carmel. Doris and Rock looked so good together as they always did.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Receieved a nice e mail form the Producer of Doris's TV Specials and Series and he said The Good Morning America material would be impossible to license but that Best Friends series will be out at some point and maybe a photo book of Doris and Rock.

DayDreamer
Forum Friend

Unread post by DayDreamer »

Hi everyone! I have to say that Doris hasn't been much on my mind the last few months, so I haven't checked out the forums lately. I scanned this thread, read some of the posts, but no big news apparently. So did anything important happen in relation to Doris in the past three or four months? Or did all of you just keep saying how great she is (with which I still agree)? :wink:
Would you please get off this line!

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Jas1 wrote:That's a really good idea Ray.
I support. The idea is great :D

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Thanks Anialek! TV Did Doris justice with her first TV Special when Rock Appreared briefly. It was called a polished musical hour. Loved that production number, Them Where The Good Ole Days! Watched the 1927 Jazz Singer and got me in the mood for singing and danceing. Wish Doris and Dick Van Dyke would do one more song and dance!! As he stated in her animal tribute message, I can dream can't I :?:

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

The movie trailer for Hitchcock the new movie with Anthony Hopkins has his wife reading the Psycho book and says get Doris Day and make it a musical!!! This film smells of Oscar!

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

I hope that comment Mrs Hitchcock made in the trailer wasn't sarcasm, and I hope that there is a reference to Doris and The Man Who Knew To Much in this film.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I saw the trailer, and it did sound a bit sarcastic to me. But I do want to see the film, anyway. I doubt if there'll be a mention of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" because it's about the making of "Psycho." While we're on the subject: Helen Mirren makes that statement in the film, but I know that she's a DD fan. Many years ago, when interviewed, she stated that her two favorite actresses were Doris and Judy Garland.
Like Irene Dunne done.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Its signifies that Doris was a big name back then and not all that sarcastic, Geeeeesh always looking for the negative. Also implied that Doris was a musical draw back then.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Re the comment- it just shows the significance of Doris Day - to this day.... most people watching this will know her - 44 years after her last film! Just as she was mentioned in Grease and other films, I think it is all good.

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Thank you Jas and Howard, I want to see the film too, love old Hitchcock films and he has always been a mystery to me. I remember my grammy and papaw watching these old hitchcock shows and he scared me LOL, as well as intrigued me. I like Helen Mirren too as well as Anthony Hopkins, so this film is going to be a treat. Didn't like TCM The Birds on the big screen, the movie seems very hilarous to me rather than frightening me. now Psycho on the other hand... And I very much feel The Man Who Knew Too Much held up rather well, the the ending could have been a little more interesting, but that seems to be a running theme in most of the 1950-60s Hitchcock films. It would really be fun if all of us fans got together sometime. I'd love to be there for the birthday bash this year for the very first time! If it isn't work it's classes and just life itself, too dang busy.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I agree with Jas and Howard. There may be a smidgen of sarcasm in the comment I (haven't seen the film yet, so it is unfair of me to draw any conclusions), but it really speaks to her immense popularity then and her enduring legacy now. Time can be a friend in some respects. It often enables people to reconsider their initial impressions and understand something they were incapable of grasping the first time around. This applies in spades to Doris' career because we've seen so many prestigious groups honor her in recent years.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

In the new Hitchcock movie he considered Doris for the Bates motel gal with a glossy photo of her chooseing actress's. Could never imagine Doris in that flick with Pillow Talk and Daises's riding higher than a kite.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

^^^ Doris would have never accepted a role like Marion Crane. Not only was the film shockingly violent for the time, it was a supporting role and the character had few redeeming qualities. I do think Doris would have done wonders in the part, but it would have rocked audiences to the core to witness her grisly demise on screen. I like Janet Leigh though and thought she did a great job, especially, when she started having regrets about stealing the money. She acted those scenes with quiet authority and it was all internal.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree entirely with Michael - re- Doris and Psycho.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Sent my lifelong friend Mary Ellen the Doris Day Paper Dolls for her 60th birthday! She was delighted with them. DD people are young at heart!!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Can you believe that Globe magazine are campaigning for Doris to be awarded an honorary Oscar? :evil:

Add your comments below or vote on the comment I made:

http://www.foxkansas.com/mostpopular/st ... WQypg.cspx
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka »

Bryan,

I would like to see your comment on this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja7cR-B65Pg

Nada

webmaster

Thanks Ania

I'm just downloading and will watch tomorrow and let you know.

PS - you know you can highlight the web address and click 'youtube' to show on here?

I'm sure you've done it lots of times...

webmaster

I found it amusing at first, Nada, and then started to think about something else - so I guess it didn't hold my attention for long. He's probably a secret Doris Day fan! :)

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka »

Hi, Bryan,

thank you for the answer. I didn't find the video amusing at all and the title bothers me very much. Maybe I'm too old for this kind of expressions.

webmaster

Yes, I can understand that, Nada - I suppose I was just riding above it and not taking it seriously. It's rather silly, really.

dayfan1962

Unread post by dayfan1962 »

I want to share a wonderful Doris Day experience with all my fellow Lady Day fans...A friend of mine arranged for me to watch "Send Me No Flowers" on the huge theatre screen in private. The entire theatre was at my disposal; we were able to laugh and enjoy Doris and Rock togther again in a way I had never before seen them. I was only about two years old when this movie originally premiered here in St. Louis. The sound and picture quality were excellent. Doris was so beautiful and funny, a consummate comedienne. Rock, to say it simply, looked just gorgeous! I understood in a more tangible way why the two of them were such mega movie stars. Altogether It was a lovely, wonderful experience for me that I will remember always.

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

dayfan1962 wrote:I want to share a wonderful Doris Day experience with all my fellow Lady Day fans...A friend of mine arranged for me to watch "Send Me No Flowers" on the huge theatre screen in private. The entire theatre was at my disposal; we were able to laugh and enjoy Doris and Rock togther again in a way I had never before seen them. I was only about two years old when this movie originally premiered here in St. Louis. The sound and picture quality were excellent. Doris was so beautiful and funny, a consummate comedienne. Rock, to say it simply, looked just gorgeous! I understood in a more tangible way why the two of them were such mega movie stars. Altogether It was a lovely, wonderful experience for me that I will remember always.

What a wonderful thing for you to experience! Sadly, I've never seen any of her movies in the theater on the big screen, but I did get to see Please Don't Eat The Daisies on the big screen at an outdoor drive in theater in Ohio when I was a little boy!