SMALL TALK

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Dianne
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: SMALL TALK

Unread post by Dianne »

No it shouldn't be about religion. But religion does factor into it no matter how you look at it. Race is not an issue either as many have tried to make this out to be. I would have voted for Cain's 999, sounded plausible...but the mainstream media made certain he couldn't survive. I agree, the labor unions are out of control, they buy the votes. And women's rights? What are you speaking of? The "Affordable Health Care Act" aka Obama Care/Romney Care is WRONG. The people have spoken and they do not want it. I am all for helping those in need and there are certainly people who need welfare. There were other ways to fashion affordable healthcare other than forcing it down the throats of the American people. As Pelosi said, "we have to pass it to see what's in it." What a crock! They are all criminals. But a person's beliefs, their religion, does define their character...in my opinion.
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Believing something doesn't make it true, I'm afraid - people used to believe that the Earth was flat and that the Sun went around it. :shock:

I have a lot of time for some of the people posting here but I'm not going to pretend I agree with you.

Should have called this HARD TALK!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Calico
Forum Friend

Unread post by Calico »

Who made the earth that was found to be round?

webmaster

Is that a trick question?

Calico
Forum Friend

Unread post by Calico »

No, I happen to believe the Bible and that, "In the beginning God created heaven and earth".

webmaster

The Bible was written by many different people some time after the 'event' - maybe a 100 years. It's full of contradictions - many books and documentaries discuss this - in the 3rd century a group of religious elders representing the churches got together and decided what should go in or stay out of "The Bible". It was called The Nicene Creed - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicene_Creed. The Bible is an inspiring book but it's got man's fingerprints all over it and I don't think it should be taken literally.

Anyway, must get back to my day job.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Doris (WISELY) never invoked religion or politics when she was talking to her fans. So why are we on a DD website?

webmaster

Maybe people are feeling a bit wicked? :lol:

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

mikeydv wrote:Doris (WISELY) never invoked religion or politics when she was talking to her fans. So why are we on a DD website?
Bryan brought up Clint Eastwood,that is why. And, it is in the "small talk" section. There are plenty of other topics for just Doris.

p.s. I bet Doris is proud of Clint! :D

webmaster

Bryan brought up Clint Eastwood,that is why. And, it is in the "small talk" section. There are plenty of other topics for just Doris.
So it's MY fault then! :) (see Ray, you're not the only who gets victimised. :wink: ) And, Diane, you know I love you anyway (from a distance and like Doris loves her dogs - see, I can't help making jokes sometimes, but we've exchanged lots of emails and you know I hold you in high regard, ditto Mary Anne) and I think you are right, there are plenty of other topics for just Doris and I sometimes wonder if people are really interested in anything else?

At least we are talking - and it does make you think how little we have in common apart from Doris. I'm a very tolerant and understanding person (I think, it doesn't make it true!) and I've been interested in politics and religion all my life - man's search for meaning and all that - that's why I don't like statements like 'God created the Earth' (sorry Calico). He, she or it might well have done - I tend to believe there must be a God - but we are tiny creatures with small brains in a vast universe so let's have a bit of humility - we don't know s**t basically, just because we believe in a book you can buy on Amazon for the price of one of Doris' dogs breakfasts, doesn't mean we are right and it's very lazy thinking. I always challenge what I think I believe and I think we all have the same responsibility.

But I am worried about how the US seems to be becoming so divided and extreme. It's very worrying.

webmaster

Anyway, late in London, tired and going to bed - nothing seems important any more except sleep - catch you all later. Perhaps we could move our energy on to something else soon - or whatever people want. Busy tomorrow anyway but will look in.

Ray, any news on Doris signing up for "Murder, She Wrote"? I think she might be too cute in it - she'll need a strong director (I'll volunteer) to say, "Don't ham it up, this isn't The Doris Day Show - try not to look beautiful, think dowdy female detective that no man, or woman, would ever want to go to bed with." Ray, are you sure Doris is right fot this role? :lol:

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

Daisy June wrote:I'm independent. I do agree with Dianne on this matter.
We definitely need a change. I don't like to talk politics because it seems to upset people.
There has been no "HOPE or CHANGE" in 4 years and it's time to see if someone else can help America because it's in bad shape. The politcians in Washington have really screwed things up the last 4 years. Who knows if it will be better in another 4 years but this President has had his chance and there has been no change....it worse than ever.
I really don't think religion has anything to do with who is running the country. If he can turn the U.S. around that's all that counts. That's all I have to say on this matter.
Thanks Daisy June.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

LOL! Bryan your right about the Jessica Fletcher character. Doris would have spruced it up with glamourous clothes and hairdo's and make Jessica a hot Ma MA. Not too many people on Murder She Wrote fell in love and slept with Jessica but Doris would have had a new love every week like on the fourth and fifth season of the Doris Day Day! Doris's good girl image bite the dust then, thank God :wink: P.S. Did anyone read what Betty White said of Clint Eastwood? Look it up, very funny!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Here is what Betty White said! "Hell I've got bigger balls than Clint Eastwood. Bring me to the Democratic convention and I'll do more than stand on stage babbling like an idiot to an empty chair." Don't get mad folks, its our generation acting up! :shock:

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Oh and Bryan, Doris didn't ham it up on the Doris Day Show, she camped it up! She probably thought show them a Doris Martin with spice dateing several men as men are allowed to do. Watch her and you will see what a subtle change in the Martin character and how she was putting her acting ability into it all. The real Doris Day also dated several men when she first came to Hollywood. Thats the way it is, like or not. I am still dateing several more than i like to admit :twisted: Well when the right one comes along....or maybe that won't happen but fun trying :wink:

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

webmaster wrote:Most Presidents do a second term - you elected Bush for a second term, Clinton, etc - is Obama really any worse than them? I think he's trying to do his best but isn't getting much support, particularly from the Republican party in Washington. Obama, like our Prime Minister, took over at a time of near economic meltdown, which is going to take more than four years to fix - but people here aren't blaming David Cameron because of the financial crisis. Some people don't like a lot of his policies, but that's 'democracy'.

But what's very different about our political systems is that, over here, religion doesn't come in to it (thank God! :) ). There are no religious groups vying for political power. We are a secular society and while people can and do believe what they want, and no doubt vote accordingly, there is no pressure on politicians to talk about their beliefs and, as Alastair Campbell, Blair's press secretary, famously replied to a journalist asking about Blair's reported interest in becoming a Catholic, "We don't do God".

Well,on this piece of HARD TALK,this is fully my view too Bryan.DEMOCRACY has nothing to do with either religion or colour.The word is ancient,from Greek,FREE VIEW FOR ANY PEOPLE. Just wanted this off my chest,I am an outsider,and we only get the news.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Advertisement can be skipped,but this is fun!!
http://www.zie.nl/video/opmerkelijk/Oba ... Upik.email
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

webmaster

That's great! :D

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Comments about religion and politics absolutely DO NOT belong on a forum such as this or any other forum that has as its subject matter generalities other than those that I mentioned.

We were all getting along find and enjoying the fruits of the artistic endeavors of Puck, Bryan, Barbara and others. I looked forward to a visit to the forum every day in hopes that I'd see yet another masterpiece. If we are going to discuss politics and other topics other than Doris then I'm not interested.

Take you political comments to one of dozens of forums on the net that exist for that particular reason.

Yesterday I had not yet finished my first cup of coffee when I received 3 - yes, 3 - emails from disgruntled Day fans from this forum about the political comments being fostered in *Small Talk*. And why isn't "Small Talk" in the main topic called SMALL TALK???????

For those wondering, I am 1000% a Democrat and have been all of my life. But I prefer to pass on any discussions about the Clint Eastwood debacle, which was the topic of discussion the day after and will be the one and only remembrance of an otherwise vacuous, noninclusive, uppity, ludicrous Repuke convention.
HAHAHAHA! An old man talking to an empty chair!

You've all had your say; I've had mine. Let's get back to talking about Doris, which is the one topic that binds a group of very diverse individuals.

Lauren

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Ok back to Doris!!! Why hasen't Hollywood and it's infinite wisdom come up with a top notch movie about Doris? Her story goes from band singer to the old and new Hollywood. They did a good job with Johnny Cash and a few others. From her book alone would make a dynamite flick! No wonder her book did so well, it was very well done. Number one in the book world and number one in the movies. Can't beat that :!:

webmaster

Yes, you're right, Lauren. Politics & religion can be a toxic mix - I think I got a bit carried away myself. I was very stressed out yesterday and feeling completely over-worked. I've just finished a website I've been working on for 6 months and now have to do another one urgently in 3 weeks. I really need a break/holiday as I'm feeling very intense about everything! I woke up and thought, 'Oh God, what did I say? I'll have to delete everything! But people were still chatting so I left it - but sorry if I offended anyone.

Ray, there have been many documentaries about Doris but, yeah, no TV bio film yet. I saw her described as a 'Hollywood cult figure' yesterday so once one person makes one, there wil probably be many more. Her Day will come!

Ray, what about you as Jessica Fletcher in a trashy John Walters-type of "Murder She Wrote"? Do you think you have Star Appeal? :lol:

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

How about a gay Pillow Talk! :o Where one of the leads gives up all his trashy suitors and they live unhappily ever after :wink: I am sure someone will complain about this, but so be it, people complain anyhow, its human nature :evil: Call it Pillow Talk Forum, where two older gay men meet and really fall in Love. Now thats fantasy :roll: Are you sorry now I am back Bryan!!!LOL

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Don't want a TV Bio movie about Doris, but a real movie Movie!!!

webmaster

Whatever they do, I'll bet it will be one long drama of all the bad things that have happened to her - it will be everything we know already and will give the impression she never knew a happy day in her life - it will make Ruth Etting look like Julie Andrews.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I think it's best to leave political discussions to political forums or put this topic in the Members Only area and let people duke it out there.

Bryan, you said something very important about not getting lazy when it comes to voting. I believe it is important for everyone, no matter where they fall on the political spectrum, to do their homework before they make up their minds. Not all of the information in the ads is accurate and the funding behind them is often obtained to further hidden agendas. You also have to read a cross section of newspapers, blogs, and editorials to make an informed decision. That goes double for the various news networks; watch more one than one to get a better sense of what is going on. Even with all that, don't feel like the Lone Ranger at the end of the day, if you still feel confused and disillusioned by the whole process. It's the only process we have but I wish both parties would focus more on governing than winning or posturing.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."