Your Least Favourite Doris Day Film

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Which is your least favourite Doris Day film?

The West Point Story
9%
The Winning Team
9%
Tunnel of Love
23%
Do Not Disturb
5%
Caprice
18%
The Ballad of Josie
9%
Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?
18%
Other (You can mention below if you wish.)
9%

Total votes: 22

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Your Least Favourite Doris Day Film

Unread post by webmaster »

My own least favourite Doris Day film, "The Winning Team", with Ronald Regan.

Okay, we all know Doris is great but not all of the films she made were - which would be unusual and the same is true of all film stars.

So which is YOUR least favourite? Above is my list of contenders with a chance for you to add your own or disagree.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

HilB126
Forum Friend

Re: Your Least Favourite Doris Day Film

Unread post by HilB126 »

I love this topic! I can't believe it's taken this long to have a thread about this!

"Caprice" takes the cake for me. I've seen it about three times and I still don't fully understand what went on. The plot was bad. The casting was bad. The only redeeming quality in it are her costumes.
"Storm Warning" and "Tunnel of Love" also come in low on my list. I'd say that "Where Were You" would be last, but the part where she takes the sleeping aid, well, that totally redeems the entire movie for me.

webmaster

Glad you are entering into the spirit of it!

"Caprice" has a great opening but, like the obvious double for Doris on skis, it goes downhill very quickly! :lol:

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I've tried not liking Caprice but it just won't take. That film is so goofy and gaudy that you have to love it in spite of the weak storyline and the flaccid chemistry between Richard Harris and Doris. I think mabye Caprice arrived too late. There were better Bond spoofs ahead of it and it comes off more as a parody of itself than a clever spoof of the Bond films. You can even argue that Tashlin was parodying Doris' vanity at that point.

The other issue with Caprice is the schzophrenic tone. It shifts from slapstick farce to thriller to romance so many times that it quickly becomes tedious. Tashiln did a much better job in the spy-spoof arena on Glass Bottom Boat.

I will add that Tashlin, who was a pro at physical comedy set pieces, gave Doris a couple of doozies in this film: the lock of hair scenes at the cliff side home and the movie theater were funny IMO. And there was no one better than Doris at physical comedy. She was a master class unto herself.

Caprice also boasts one of my favorite Doris outfits: the red and white polka dot dress with matching headband. Kudos to Ray Aghayan for that little number.

My pick for worst Doris film ever-- Where Were You When The Lights Went Out. Shame on Marty and Rosenthal for signing her to do that horrible film. This was another one that was borderline cruel to Doris and her image. It did her no favors at all.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

In "Lights", a poster shows Doris appearing in a play called "The Constant Virgin" (maybe that would have been a better title for the film!) - probably an in-joke about her image but it seemed more of a joke at her expense.

I remember reading comments made by Terry Thomas, who seemed to be under the impression that Doris was directing, and was none too pleased that "she was telling me how to ACT!"

I guess it proves that no matter how much talent you have, unless you have a good script and a good director, it can all be a waste of time.

jmichael
Honorary Member

I hadn't heard that Terry Thomas felt that way, but in her defense, if you're saddled with a poor script and a mediocre director -- and your name is at the top of the credits -- why not take charge? What else is there to lose?

Michael
Michael H

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I think "Starlift" was her worst. A slim, dreary story line, and as for Doris ... now you see her, now you don't, and in this sorry case, that was a lucky break! Second on my list would be "Do Not Disturb." I literally squirmed in my seat watching this cliched bore of a film. The one saving grace was Dodo in that form fitting, orange gown. She really wowed the crowd with that one! When it was over (thankfully), I felt terrible for Doris. It saddened me to think that a film like this could ruin her movie career.
Like Irene Dunne done.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

After Send Me No Flowers Doris should have stopped making movies and just done her TV Musical specials. But she had to pay the bills unforunatley. The crap she was offered was insulting. The Graduate wouldn't have been good at all either, playing an older woman seducing a younger man to hurt her daughter was not the right part for her. If it were a love story of a younger man that would have been different. But even the crap she was offered did not hurt her leagacy because her talent was always out there no matter what they threw at her. Other stars had big failures like Mary Tylre Moore and Lucy. Mary had many tv outings cancelled after her big hit.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I'm glad DD continued to make films after DND. "The Glass Bottom Boat" was fun, and I really did like "With Six You Get Eggroll" with the exception of that overly long car chase at the end. Seemed to go on forever! As for "The Graduate:" I would have loved to see DD play against type, and I know she would have done it brilliantly. I can easily imagine Dustin Hoffman (one of my very favorite actors) lusting after the still very beautiful and sexy Dodo. I think she would have at least garnered an Academy nomination for it!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Howard agree 100% re- your last post above- I am so glad Doris made at least Glass Bottom Boat, Caprice (for all it's faults) and Eggroll (after Send me...).

Michael- also agree- re- Caprice - I really like it too!

My choice (I have not seen Starlift or Winning team - think they are the only 2 DD films I have not seen) = Where were you...

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

This is a hard question,I had a little tink,and concluded "Do not disturb" is my less favourite movie.Doris looks stunning,however,especially with the orange dress and the lovely hairdo,but like the oneman-band-bit and all the shouting that her loving husband produced,I would never look at it twice.
Caprice somehow is still okay,despite the horrid wig,and The winning team I would not watch a second time,but at least there was some affection shown.
not my cup of tea.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

jmichael
Honorary Member

I agree with previous comments that her film career started going downhill with Do Not Disturb. By that point, Marty had sealed her fate with the Rosenthal dealings and they had to generate money to cover the bad deals they were caught up in. Although I wouldn't put Do Not Disturb at the top of my worst list, it was a huge disappointment to me.

Starlift was such a non-entity that I don't consider it much of a Doris Day movie at all. I can also overlook some of the lesser efforts from that period because she was under contract to WB and "a deal is a deal" to quote Doris. Once she became a free agent, she made some of the best films of her career. The critical mistake Doris made was giving Marty and Rosenthal power of attorney, which allowed them to sell her services to the highest bidder. In the second half of the 1960's, Doris needed to change things up and remind people she was a substantial actress who could change with the times. The right film at the right time would have added another 10 years to her film career IMO. Like Howard, I think she would have been brilliant casting as Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate. What her film career needed then -- and didn't get- was a compelling departure from the stale ROM COM formula.

Michael
Michael H

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

I don't think Doris bareing her breats to Dustin Hoffman would have been brilliant. With Marty dead she probably didn't want to branch out to that extreme and do roles that would drain her no matter what the public wanted. The public isn't always to swift anyway. Doris seemed like she was tired of acting and never really wanted to go back to it as she said at the time the Mother movie was offered her. Alas she is still an icon with or without the Graduate and a cult classic. Murder She Wrote would have knocked her for a loop with the filming schedule and Angela lansbury had to fill shows without her because she was over burdened with the work schedule. Murder She Wrote, The Graduate, and Mother were the only top notch projects Doris was offered, maybe she is correct in saying it was time to step aside from the new up and comers. But know one has reached her status so far!!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

If Pillow Talk didn't turn up Doris's movie career would have been over with It Happened To Jane. What she should have gotten was another Love Me Or Leave me role. Doris did change with the times even on her series and she was always ahead of her time. She is now a superstar of quiet living with out the limelight. I am sure she has had wonderful and forfilling times since her departure from show biss. She didn't have to prove she was an actress by changeing with the sordid times. She was an acting school in herself. jack Lemmon said something along those lines about her.

webmaster

Sorry Ray I was thinking about Michael's post before you made yours.

A lot of good points you've made there, Michael - one I'll quibble with, just to play devil's advocate; is it right to blame Marty for al her 'misfortunes''? As Rock Hudson said after knowing her for years, "God knows, Doris is a strong woman". Perhaps it was Doris' ambivalence to being a 'star' and really wanting to be married with kids and to 'play house' that caused her to give responsibility to someone else (husband) to make decisions about her career? Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Marilyn Monroe and other stars from her era would never have done that.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Speaking of Marilyn Monore, her career was just about over in the early sixties and Doris even outlasted her! To the point of having Somethings Got To Give remade for Doris. Could never have seen Marilyn in the Pillow Talk role that she wanted reportedly. Doris had a great Day in the sun with or without a new role to show she changed with the times.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Well, Doris was strong and definite about her work, not so much about her career. Two different things entirely. Doris by her own admission was never all that driven; she said in one article that she waited for things to unfold and they did. So no doubt she needed someone to help her choose good film projects after Marty passed on. My point is the window of opportunty was there for a brief while. Ray is probably correct when he says she wasn't offered that many great roles after a certain point. She would have had to go after them which wasn't her style. As for Marty, I think he misled her and withheld damaging facts that eventually caused her to go to court to win back the money that he and Rosenthal squandered. Doris was either too busy or too much in denial to pick up on what was happening. My impression from her book is that she willingly deferred to Marty on most business matters. In that regard, I guess she shared some of the responsibility for what happened by being too trusting.
Michael H

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

All of Doris' films have a redeeming quality...that being Doris herself. And there was something worth seeing in every one of her films because of the "special moments" when she was onscreen. As for DO NOT DISTURB, I will forever think the "one woman band" scene is priceless.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

mikeydv wrote:All of Doris' films have a redeeming quality...that being Doris herself. And there was something worth seeing in every one of her films because of the "special moments" when she was onscreen. As for DO NOT DISTURB, I will forever think the "one woman band" scene is priceless.
I AGREE ...thank you

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

Marty needed to be bold- needed to deal with the syndicate, and Hollywood's descent into a drug and Robbins culture. They needed secrets... and Rose Marie, well, only knew recipes. They needed to follow the money.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Hollywood has been high since the 70's and the Movies show it! 30's till the 60's was Hollywood's hey day and Doris was a part of it. Good thing she left right at the decline!! Didn't know Rose Marie cooked! :wink:

webmaster

Mike and Doris Martin - that all goes without saying, we know that Doris is almost always good even when the films were 'bad' and that there will be sections in each one that are great, as with "Do Not Disturb", "Caprice" - (Michael's comments rang true with me and I have enjoyed watching it.) I suppose we are talking about the material she was given sometimes - which she realised herself at the time, was not as good as her top films.

gerard - I wish you'd post more often - you always have a different way of looking at things! :wink:

Ray, when is your audition for "Murder, She Wrote" again? :) But I agree, The Golden Years are long gone. I know they are still making great films and I love watching them ("The Iron Lady" was great - and so many others) but somehow I miss Doris, Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Marilyn, Tony, Fred & Ginger - before my time but I still miss them. We probably sound like our parents now - back in my day...

jmichael
Honorary Member

Speaking of great films from the past, I went to the theater yesterday to see the restored version of "The Birds." It was wonderful seeing that film again in a movie theater after so many years. They opened with a recent interview with Robert Osborne and Tippi Hedren and she talked about making the film and working with Hitch. Really enjoyed seeing it with an eclectic audience of all ages, some of whom had never seen it before.

Michael
Michael H

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Gerard shades of the Godfather!!!! I once read in a scandall rag many years ago that Doris and Lucy were high class molls! The drug culture that took over Hollywood gave both Ladies grief with their children. After the Kennedy assination the entertainment world literally went to pot!!! Before that the syndicate, as you call them Gerard, at least tried to pretend they were upright citizens. Hence all the secrets...Martin melcher must have had clout to get Frank Sinarta so angry with him. I do wish Marty got Doris to sing Young At Heart instead of Frankie boy for their movie together And Bryan don't blame for the politics talk, I didn't expect it to go on and on and on.......

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

I totally disagree about The Birds, I had such great expectations! It was funny when it wasn't supposed to be, I almost wanted the birds to win! The dialouge was funny and it filmed more like a soap opera rather than a horror or suspense film. I do hope, as I posted in another area, that they run The Man Who Knew Too Much, the Doris version from 1956 in the TCM Presents series on the big screen! Wouldn't that be a hoot to see our Doris up there on the big screen where she reigned for so many years, and rightfully belongs. I loved her tv series, but Doris was meant for the big screen, just like the other icons from the hey day of Hollywood. I can't wait to see ET on the big screen, and more of Hitchcocks classic films, but The Birds, not one of his best, especially on the tail end of success with Psycho! What was he thinking? I think he had Tippi on the brain, and just wanted a vehicle for her to star in, LOL. :lol: