Your Least Favourite Doris Day Film

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Which is your least favourite Doris Day film?

The West Point Story
9%
The Winning Team
9%
Tunnel of Love
23%
Do Not Disturb
5%
Caprice
18%
The Ballad of Josie
9%
Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?
18%
Other (You can mention below if you wish.)
9%

Total votes: 22

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Re: Your Least Favourite Doris Day Film

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

What films would you like to see re-released on the big screen gang?

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Stephen Munns from Doris Day Tribute arranged a screening of Pillow Talk & Love Me or Leave Me on Doris' 80th Birthday at a big-screen cinema in the west end of London. LMOLM was gigantic on the screen - I was almost overwhelmed by the size and by the details you could see in every scene - it was a real shock, having only seen it on TV/DVD before, and it gave you a sense of what it must have been like to have seen it in a cinema when it first came out.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Toby_Martin wrote:I totally disagree about The Birds, I had such great expectations! It was funny when it wasn't supposed to be, I almost wanted the birds to win! The dialouge was funny and it filmed more like a soap opera rather than a horror or suspense film. I do hope, as I posted in another area, that they run The Man Who Knew Too Much, the Doris version from 1956 in the TCM Presents series on the big screen! Wouldn't that be a hoot to see our Doris up there on the big screen where she reigned for so many years, and rightfully belongs. I loved her tv series, but Doris was meant for the big screen, just like the other icons from the hey day of Hollywood. I can't wait to see ET on the big screen, and more of Hitchcocks classic films, but The Birds, not one of his best, especially on the tail end of success with Psycho! What was he thinking? I think he had Tippi on the brain, and just wanted a vehicle for her to star in, LOL. :lol:
Certain aspects of the film felt dated. We also found a few of the scenes a bit laughable although we quickly checked ourselves as we had perhaps become too cynical at finding something funny about birds attacking children at a birthday party. Some of the audience reaction shows how jaded we've become because people were rooting for the birds in a few scenes. To your point about the dialog, it veered into soap opera territory occasionally and Tippi Hedren is no Grace Kelly either. On the other hand, I enjoyed the way Hitch injected some pointed barbs at jealous, possessive mothers and girlfriends. Not sure what kind of relationship he had with his mother, but after seeing Psycho and this film, it seems he had a few issues to work through. Jessica Tandy did a tremendous job of making Lydia more sympathetic (even pitiful) as the film progresses. And it still bothers me when Suzanne Pleshette gets pecked to death. Oh no, not schoolteacher Annie!

At the time the film was released, it was a bold departure for Hitch to take on a special effects driven epic to show how the world might end. It was unlike anything he had ever done before. I even like the ambiguous ending although I know a lot of people thought it was a total cop-out.

BTW, I went to see it the other day after seeing it many times on television and as a child when it first opened in movie theaters. Older viewers like me bring a lot of nostalgia to the table when we see a film like The Birds, so my reaction is probably very different from someone who was seeing it for the first time. No doubt about it, I hold a reservoir of affection for the film and for Hitchcock as a master director. And that predisposes me to forgive a lot, I think.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

I agree with you Michael, you made some valid points, I suppose I was expecting more Psycho and not melodrama. Visually, I loved the feel of the film, and enjoyed Hitchock walking the dogs in the beginning of the film, and the way the love birds tilted as Tippi took the curves of California, lol. Appreciated your viewpoint Michael

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Michael, last month I went to see a live link up with Tipi Hedren (from the British Film Institute in London) - streamed to a lot of cinemas in the UK - in my theatre, followed by a showing of Marnie- a great film.

Tipi is wonderful and look amazing.

I love her zest for life; politics, and of course, animal welfare.

Look forward the new BBC film about Hitchock's strange obsession with her.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Toby and Jas, thanks for your thoughtful responses. I'm a huge Hitchcock fan and consider him among the Top Five film directors of all time.

Jas, I also agree with about Tippi, who seems to be a very classy lady and I admire her dedication to animal welfare as well. I actually thought she did a pretty good job in The Birds and she was even better in Marnie.

Tell me more about the new BBC film and Hitch's obsession with her. Is that the same as the new HBO movie "The Girl" with Sienna Miller as Tippi and Toby Jones as Hitch?

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

BBC Radio "Hitchcock's Women" MP3 download: https://www.box.com/shared/ti0ymj9qgg

Online: Mark Lawson focuses on how director Alfred Hitchcock worked with his female stars, including interviews with Tippi Hedren, star of The Birds and Marnie, and Jean Marsh:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ean_Marsh/

Hitchcock’s ‘The Birds’ still terrifying at 50:
http://www.examiner.com/review/hitchcoc ... ying-at-50

Sienna Miller to Star as Tippi Hedren in BBC2 Movie About The Birds
Read More at: http://movieline.com/2011/12/06/sienna- ... n=referral

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes Michael- that's the one - part made by BBC .

Tippi in the interview talked in detail about Hitch's genuis but his unhealthy obsession with her that was to all intents and purposes severe sexual harassment that ruined their friendship and their working relationship.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Thanks Jas,Michael and Bryan,I so happened to see the birds two weeks ago and looked up Tippi Hedren.
Now I have come across this page from mail on line.

Hitchcock star Tippi Hedren says director was 'evil', and she'd be rich if sexual harassment laws applied in the 1960s

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z27FDQYRPr
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

webmaster

Dorine, it's not fair to post images of screen beauties when they are middle-aged and the subject of a zoom lens and bad lighting - is it? Maybe that's just how I feel as a photographer - I always want to portray people in the best possible light because that's what it's all about - lighting. :)

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Alfred Hitchcock’s Women I think I watched all of Hitchcock's films...

Thanks Bryan, Jas,Michael, Dorine:)

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Nice link, Ania - have bookmarked that for later.

We're going a bit off topic - not a problem but I will try and take us back.

I noticed that no one had chosen "The Ballad of Josie" or "Tunnel of Love". Actually - thinking outside the box of having to come up with a possible list - both were good films (even if they were low-budget) but we know that Doris didn't think too much of her role in "Josie" - and it was perhaps a lowering of her status as the former No 1 Hollywood star. I only saw it once on TV and I thought she gave an excellent performance - ditto "Tunnel of Love" and a lot of us older fans probably remember when it was in the charts and Doris was also Queen of the Jukebox and her music fitted in nicely with Elvis, Connie Francis, Brenda Lee, etc. So I suppose I have a soft spot for "Tunnel of Love".

Re the Hitchcock connection - "The Man Who Knew Too Much" - like most of his films, not always easy to watch - Doris pulled out all the stops but there's something about the role she played - the hysterical wife element who had to be sedated before James Stewart told her that their son had been kidnapped. I really think that Hitch was acting out a lot of his (maybe unconscious) women-hating fantasies around this time - also evident in Psycho, The Birds and especially "Frenzy", where the murderer rapes a woman very graphically, muttering "Lovely, lovely, lovely... " as he tightens a neck-tie around her throat in a very long scene with close-ups of both their faces. Actually I know the family of the actor who played the murderer, Barry Foster, and it's a film they don't like talking about.

It also wasn't a happy experience for Doris - Hitchcock virtually ignored her, later claiming - when she asked for a formal meeting with him at the studio when they got back from location shooting - that he was very happy with her performance and would have let her know if he hadn't been. An excuse that doesn't really hold water when you think of his obsessions with Hedren, Grace Kelly and Ingrid Bergman.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan- I slightly disagree with your post- re- Hitch and Doris-

I truly believe he didn't direct overtly unless he had to and with Doris- he didn't have to- Tippi said as much in her recent interview from the BFI.

Also, I think Doris is [rightly] proud of this film and its legacy - the chance to work with one of the top directors - and it shows!

The obsession with Tippi - and maybe some others- was off screen -

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Lets face it, Hitch was no Rock Hudson!!! Who would want to sleep with him????

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

From what I gather it was more complex than that Ray - more of a power thing. Some have said if anyone returned the advances he'd have run a mile...

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I enjoyed many of the films that were in the poll. The only one of Doris' films that I really am not crazy about is The Ballad of Josie. It might be because I watched this film in conjunction with several of her greatest: Pillow Talk, Love Me Or Leave Me, Calamity Jane, etc. Perhaps if I would have viewed it while watching some of her not so great films: Do Not Disturb, It Happened To Jane, Caprice, etc. I would have liked it better. Watching Josie now I am not immediately repulsed as I was when I first watched it, but it still remains my least favorite film.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

jmichael
Honorary Member

Her films became increasingly formulaic and lackluster after Send Me No Flowers. Of the final bunch, only two could be considered good films: Glass Bottom Boat and With Six You Get Eggroll. And even they weren't in the same league as Pillow Talk, Lover Come Back or Move Over, Darling IMO. This is where a change in direction was needed: better scripts, directors and roles that didn't harken back to past successes. It's one thing for SNL to parody a big star, in fact, many consider it an honor these days. But when you have to resort to parodying yourself, as in WWYWTLWO, you're in big trouble. There's no place to go after that. Eggroll was step-up but it lacked the sharp writing and direction that were key factors in her better comedies.

In my hometown, Josie was part of a double bill with another Universal film and it only played one week. This was a huge comedown from the time when Doris' films played longer than almost anyone else except John Wayne. I've said this before but it was time for Marty to step aside and for Doris to find another manager / agent to reinvent herself in films. I guess we can thank Marty for signing her to the Doris Day show because we got to see her every week in our homes for another five years. But her film career could have been much, much more if she had been able to free herself from his self-serving clutches.

Michael
Michael H

edie

Unread post by edie »

Caprice.

jmichael
Honorary Member

anialek36 wrote:Alfred Hitchcock’s Women I think I watched all of Hitchcock's films...

Thanks Bryan, Jas,Michael, Dorine:)

Ania
Ania, thanks so much for the link. I never tire of reading about Hitch and "his women." I'd have to say that two or three of his films are on my all time top twenty film list. He's a tough act to follow at my house. LOL

Michael
Michael H

edie

Unread post by edie »

The Doris Day films that I watch the least are "Caprice" and "Tunnel of Love." I just don't like the story lines. I personally like "The Ballad of Josie" and heard in an interview that Doris liked making it and really liked her co-star Peter Graves. I like "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out" but think it is a very long and not appealing title. Don't care for her co-star Patrick O'Neal but thought the scenes in the home in Connecticut were really good. Terry Thomas and Doris were really funny and did a great job with their out-of-it scene. Like someone said, in everyone of her films there is at least one scene that makes it all worth it. One of my favorites is "Jumbo", goofy hairdo and all. My grandkids ask to watch it when they are sleeping over at my house.

A question about Doris: can she play the piano and does she play around the house? In her TV show about the Songwriter, it seemed to me that she was really playing those goofy songs they composed. I loved that scene.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

What TV show the Songwriter?? Or episode? Lost with that one :x

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Ray, I think it is the episode from Season 5 where Doris becomes "involved" with a Music star ???

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

That show was Doris's Forty Carots and The Graduate rolled into one!

webmaster

Speaking of enjoyable parts of films we didn't care for all that much as a whole, which we were earlier - here's my mismatch from "Do Not Disturb" - YouTube keep blocking it because of the song I used:

http://www.dorisday.net/enjoy-yourself.html

edie

Unread post by edie »

The Songwriter episode in Doris's TV show I was talking about was from season 1, Episode 5. Leroy writes a song and it is accepted but Doris knows it is a phony company so she also writes a song and sends it in and gets the same letter back. She plays his song on the piano for him to hear, and then she plays her song to get his opinion. The two boys of course loved both songs. Does anyone know if she was actually playing those songs--it really sounded and seemed like it.