Special Doris Day Collectors Issue

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Special Doris Day Collectors Issue

Unread post by ray »

Just picked up the Doris Day Collectors Issue in the supermarket. Eighty pages of stories and beautiful photos of Doris. A nice account from Sydney Wood and many photos from his own collection. The photos show Doris looking like a million as an attractive older woman with class. We are all going to age and we should be proud of it. Doris days today are hardly sad with a fortune and fans all over the world and her nice home and beloved pets.
There's a picture of her and Michael Doyle. Michael organized the 1987 DD convention in Carmel. Though page 79 is not Doris!!!!! Sydney did have good intentions with his interview and it shows. He is a lucky man to have had Doris as his boss Lady. Was afraid the mag would be a nightmare but turned out to be a dream for any DD fan. Could have done with out the headlines to get your attention but in the end you appreciate Doris's career and life. Surprisingly the Globe did a remarkable job.

HilB126
Forum Friend

Re: Special Doris Day Collectors Issue

Unread post by HilB126 »

I picked up two copies of this at the store the other day. I was surprised to see so many pictures I'd never seen before (post 1974). I then saw it was by The Globe after I bought them and whoops. I swore I'd never buy one of their magazines, but so far (I've only read half of it) they've done a great job.

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

Doris is bigger than the Academy. Betty White mentioned Doris: perhaps she had seen this spread. Said something about it making no sense to "egg her on".
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Hilbi126, They finally do something good, it's about time they do something good back, after they have so many falsehoods and ugly things wrote about her.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Gerard, where and when did Betty White talk about Doris?
Like Irene Dunne done.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Wondered when someone would mention about this real collector's edition which is ALL DORIS - no ads, just great, many never-before-seen photos - yes, 80 pages of ALL Doris! It will be displayed until April 29th, but better search it out soon as I am sure copies will fly off the shelves once people know about it - my favorite photo is on page 53....now, let's hope that LIFE will do a special edition on Doris like they did on Betty White late last year - seems like as it gets closer to her April 3rd birthday, the media starts featuring items on her.

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Yes this is an exceptional issue! And why fans are not commenting is beyond me. The Globe has kept Doris in the limelight good or bad and seems to be making up for it with this effort for people to know about Doris and apperciate her career and over forty glamour. Beauty with jeans and turtlneck, true beauty form within and out. Before all we heard about was that obscure Dr Doris Day, where did she come from? A skin Doctor!LOL Page 53 is a great photo as well as so many in this issue. Also it shows Syndey Wood trying to tell a positive story of his time with Doris. The first account was just negatives splashed on the cover. Its a shame no other publications have dealt with Doris and they will be the losers on that note. Doris had a career and life that should never be ignored. Sadly to put a photo that is not Doris on page 79 was a big mistake and takes away how reliable the mag can be at times. Some fans seem jealous of any Day material that is not their own. Life magazine SHOULD do a whole mag on an American treasure who has touched so many lives worldwide. Singer, Actress in Movies and TV, best selling book and Animal rights. What a life indeed!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

"(Bettye White) said something about it making no sense to "egg her on".
I take that to mean 'to provoke her', or 'wind her up', as we say over here, Gerard.

I saw the cover - nice big photo of Doris but I didn't like the reference to cosmetic surgery as if it was a terrible secret 'she kept from her fans' (it's her business, what does it have to do with her fans or anyone else?) Today it's as common as going to the dentist - and probably was then in Hollywood terms. - I also don't like the 'brave last days', which is just an insensitive made-up story. I could go on but basically they are still giving her the 'tabloid treatment' when she should be getting the respect she deserves.

What they don't seem to get is that she is not "Doris Day" (the film star) any more - that ended 50 years ago - they treat her like Madonna and she doesn't ask for or want that and she has to spend time reassuring everyone after one of their 'features'.

I admit that if I saw the magazine at my newsagents I'd be tempted to buy it - but I wouldn't be taken in by the nice photos and think they were doing it for her. If they really wanted to do something for her they would leave her alone but they prefer to make money out of her name as they know it will sell.

I'm not criticising anyone who bought it or enjoyed it, I'm sure I'd enjoy a lot of it myself. It's just the sting-in-the-tail where they put manure on the flower-bed (the lies and made-up stories). But that is the Globe - good photos, bad journalism.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

That is your opinion Bryan and it is respected. And you have to be diplomatic running a forum like this. But no one should be ashamed of buying a mag with wonderful photos of someone who was in the public eye and reaped the benefits of that period. I hate the lies and distortions too but we are free to say what we want and enjoy a wonderful photo experience that we do not see very often. Thats all I will say about this. Doris deserved to reap those benefits and she knows and can handle rag exposure. Lets hope she is never ignored again for what she gave us, On a positive note all this exposure helps the animal cause with the attention. As Doris said, nothing is either good or bad.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I understand what you are saying, Ray. As I said, I'm not criticising anyone for reading or enjoying it. I just don't trust 'em!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

If they were donating the proceeds to her animal foundation, I would buy it, but otherwise, no sale from me.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

I agree with Bryan and Micahel, I won't buy it. Doris asked us not to and I'd like to respect HER wishes. That's just me. I think it's a slick move on the globes part, just like they tried to bring attention to giving Doris a lifetime Oscar in a small section in the issue after the one they said Doris was crippled and going blind. Shaking my head in disbelief. I'll look thru them at the supermarket but won't buy it. No disrespect for those of you that have or will.

Becky
Forum Friend

Unread post by Becky »

What is the magazine called? Want to get two for collection purposes and one to make some collages from

HilB126
Forum Friend

Unread post by HilB126 »

Globe: Special Collector's Edition
DORIS DAY

That's all it said on the front. Here's a picture.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

I am on a fixed income but gave the fifty dollars from the Globe picture to the Doris Day Animal Foundation. I wanted to make a positive out of the negatives with the picture and comments in the mag.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Ray, nice move on your part. That really is turning a negative into a positive.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Becky
Forum Friend

Unread post by Becky »

Oh! nice! Thanks for telling me :D. See if I can get one on ebay. Is she in the entire mag? or it is just a small part? I gather it's all about her, just want to be sure.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

This special issue is ALL DORIS - no ads - a real collector's issue for sure with many never before seen photos of Doris which are more recent - from the past 20 years and she looks wonderful. It is truly a collector's edition - you will love it! And yes, it may encourage some to donate to D's animal foundation which would be an added bonus.

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

It seems we are all thirsty for any Doris Day material. Doris always makes us want more. Though that may not happen. i enjoyed seeing a whole mag dedicated to Doris that I plugged it in this weeks Globe. The fifty dollars I received for the blurp will go to the Doris Day Animal Foundation. The programs are wonderful, with Spay Day, Clevend Amorys Horse sancturay and the senior people and pets efforts. I did Pet therapy years ago and am now living that experience at an over 55 pet friendly building where I live. I am always pet sittiing and pet walking for neighbors.