Doris Recording new show on XM Simply Sinatra

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Ania
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Recording new show on XM Simply Sinatra

Unread post by Ania »

howard wrote:Lauren: Thanks for going that extra mile for us. Much appreciated!
Lauren you manage to put the interview on a server, I can not log in:(? I'll be very grateful :D

Greetings from Poland:)

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Here's the latest schedule for Part 1 and 2 of the interviews:

PART ONE:
SUNDAY JUNE 23 5PM EST
TUESDAY JUNE 25 3PM EST
THURSDAY JUNE 27 9PM EST

PART TWO:
MONDAY JUNE 24 10AM EST
WEDNESDAY JUNE 26 6PM EST
FRIDAY JUNE 28 12PM EST
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Here's a screen capture of Doris' latest mail-out - which you can subscribe to at http://www.dorisday.com - as I'm sure most of us have, but perhaps not everyone - mentioning the Sinatra show:

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Also I received this e-mail. Unfortunately, I cannot do listen to these interviews:(

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Ania~
I will help you out in any way that I can. I won't forget you. I will keep you updated on my progress as it is a very long show.

Lauren

webmaster

Well done, Lauren. I'm sure Doris wants all her fans to enjoy it and it's not our fault that we are excluded.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Lauren Benjamin wrote:Ania~
I will help you out in any way that I can. I won't forget you. I will keep you updated on my progress as it is a very long show.

Lauren
Lauren thank you with all my heart

Greetings from Poland:) Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

webmaster wrote:Well done, Lauren. I'm sure Doris wants all her fans to enjoy it and it's not our fault that we are excluded.
Bryan surely know that this is neither your fault nor Lauren, nor any of you :D

Greetings from Poland:) Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Am reposting this here - just heard from a friend in the New Orleans area who has Sirius in his truck - he heard the whole show and said at one point Doris mentioned she had 50 dogs! Hope someone will record this and the next part for all of us to hear...didn't want to go the trial subscription way...nice that Nancy Sinatra interviewed Doris for this special tribute to her Dad and Doris...how lucky can we be to have Doris doing a recent interview.
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

The day finally arrived. The show started about 8 minutes late and I had concerns that I had missed the beginning of the broadcast. But alas around 4:08 pm Central Time, Sinatra began the show with the song Without A Song. Nancy introduced the show, and Sinatra's lyrics of Without A Song continuted. Then Sinatra sang Secret Love. It was odd he did not hit the high notes Doris did even though she thought they were a bit high for her. Doris Day followed with her rendition of Secret Love, and it was great to analyze both interpretations. Nancy Sinatra expressed her nervousness especially since she considered Doris Day as her idol, to which Doris said that was sweet. Nancy Sinatra then introduced Chuck Granada who produced the broadcast and Doris Day came on and expressed her pleasure of meeing Chuck and being on the show. There was praise on Secret Love and how that song was an exception to the usual fare when movie songs just happen and then disappear, but all agreed Secreit Love was special. Nancy talked about Frank Sinatra's presence on the set of Young At Heart, and some of the difficulties he created. But Doris had nothing but praise for Frank and the way he looked after her interests. In particualar the incident of the Kleenex box being thrown at Doris was brought up, and Doris said she was not hurt, but Frank took the incident very seriously and had a good talking to the individual that threw the box. Nancy reminded Doris of their working on The Hit Parade saying that Frank Sinatra did not care much for the show, and apparently Doris shared the same feelings. Nancy mentioned that her father used to rescue stray dogs from the street, as did Doris and that they were truly soul mates.

The songs began with Again followed by a jazzed version by Frank Sinatra. This was followed by I'll String Along With You by Doris and then by Frank. Completely different takes--sweet and ramantic Doris and fast tempo Frank. Sinatra's version was from a radio show. Then followed But Not For Me with great versions by both Frank and Doris. During a short interview, Doris Day said she would liked to have worked more with Frank, but that did not happen and she wonders why not. Nancy then talked about Terry Melcher and how much she admired his work with The Byrds and The Beach Boys. Some nostalgic memories came from Doris about Terry.

Some discussion followed on the pet foundations and her veterinarian friend Bob Bashara talked about grants given to small groups who rescue abondoned or neglected animals including horses Also that scholarship are given to verterianary students. The animal foundation celebrated its 35th anniversary. At this point Doris Day's dog "Duffy" was somehow trapped under the table at which point everyone took a break. Afterwards, the songs continued with It's Magic, followed by My Dream Is Yours and I'll See You In My Dreams. Nancy was of the opinion that It's Magic was Doris's signature song. But this was followed by Nancy singing parody lyrics to It's Magic which in my opinion were not amusing, but Doris did not seem to mind and actually laughed upon hearing them. They bothed talked about their admiration of the Page Cavanaugh Trio. Nancy quizzed Doris about here socializing with Hollywood friends and coworkers, but Doris said she was always so busy working that she had little time for that and really did not care much for it. Doris talked about having to be at the studio by 6 am and working till around 8 pm, after she then swam at her home pool, had a light supper and was in bed by 9 pm. Nancy mentioned she had read where Michael Curtiz insisted that Doris not be coached by Warner Brothers about her acting, that she was a gifted actress and what came through was natural and effective. The idea of a great movie script was brought up by Nancy, but Doris was not keen on such projects.

Doris then talked about when Terry and her mother would visit her when she was working close to where Nana and Terry lived. They would travel by train regularly and spent many great times together, at which point Doris mentioned her collection of young Terry photos and how much she misses him. Sde by side songs by Doris and James Darren followed with Dream A Little Dream Of Me. Doris then sang Hooray for Hollywood, she was followed by Nancy Sinatra's version. Nancy included the name Doris Day among the celebrities one could meet in Hollywood. Then followed a collection of movie soundtrack versions of Put In A Box, Pillow Talk, Roly Poly, Please Don't Eat The Daisies, and The Black Hills Of Dakota. Nancy discussed a project where at an open field congreagations of bikers, Nancy did an air check with the sound system and sang a few lyrics of The Black Hills Of Dakota. Imagine her surprise when thousands of bikers and friends joined in and sang the entire song.

Chuck Granada, the producer of the show, mentioned that Romance On The High Seas was Nancy's favorite movie, to which Nancy agreed. She remembered the glossy texture of the movie even though it was not an MGM movie and the wonderfuly cast. Then came Calamity Jane, and Nancy referred to the movie as really being Calamity Doris. Doris said she loved working on this particualar movie and that everyone was in tears when they finished the film, hoping it could just keep on going and going.
The "live" singing in The Pajame Game was discussed and Nancy lamented that Doris was really a pioneer in such recordoings, but that Doris had a tendency of not wanting credit for so many innovations. The subject of singing to playbacks was discussed, and Doris said it was very easy for her to concentrate then "just sing away". At this point Doris sang I Didn't Know What Time It Was, but around 5:48 pm Central Time the audito on the computer stopped, and it did not pick up agatin until 7:03 when the XM broadcast strarted with a repeat session of the 3 hour show. (I will conclude this portion when i listen to the repeats.) Until then
Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

Continuation and Conclusion follows from my notes from the second broadcast of the XM Sirius Sinatra Show.

After Doris Day concluded singing I Didn't Know What Time It Was, Frank Sinatra sang his version which started at the measured pace sung by Doris, but in the middle of the song the pace turned fast and jazzy. Quite a contract between the two versions. Sinatra immediately began singing I Only Have Eyes For You which was followed by Frank Sinatra Junior singing his version of I Only Have Eyes For You. After those music sets, Nancy began her interview with Doris Day by asking if Doris was courageous because of her mom's influence, or if it was because of her dad, to which Doris said whatever I had was from mom. The topic surrounded Doris's struggles with her broken leg cause by the train accident. Nancy wondered how Doris could manage to work and take her singing lessons in spite of her broken leg. Doris said that somehow Grace Raine asked to see Doris. Doris had no idea how Grace Raine had heard about her. But in any event, Doris's mom drove Doris to Raine's second story apartment. Doris said it took a long time for her leg to heal because nothing was knitting. Doris could not even stand much less dance. Nancy quoted Grace Raine's comment that when one sings, one should sing to only one person, just one, and never to belt out a song because that is impersonal. Raine was also quoted as saying she believed Doris sang her words with a lot of feeling, to which Doris said that she thought she did. Nancy also quoted Les Brown as saying that Doris's singing was in the same company as Bing and Frank, to which Doris exclaimed pleasent surprise about Les Brown's comment. The song Sentimental Journey was discussed. Doris said she liked Sentimental Journey from the moment she read the sheet music. Doris stated that during her live singing with Les Brown, dancers iwould come up again and again to request Sentimental Journey. The song Sentimental Journey by Doris Day followed, and so did Frank's version. Frank Sinatra's version was excellent. Immediately the song I'll Forget You followed, and Sinatra offered a counter song entitled If I Forget You. Doris then sang I'll Never Stop Loving You, followed by Frank and Doris singing You My Love.

The interview continued with memories of Ray Heindorf. Doris said she loved working with him, that he was wonderful, but he always had the gout. A discussion followed about Doris not knowing what was wrong because of Ray's limping, and after much questioning Ray finally told Doris about his malady. After this insight, Doris sang Imagination, followed by Frank's version which was rather too jazzy in contrast to Doris's interpreation. Doris then sang High Hopes, which incidentally won the 1959 Academy Award for Best Original Song. The award was announced and presented by Doris Day during her live appearance. Doris was present in connection with her Best Actress nomination for Pillow Talk. Frank Sinatra followed with his wonderful rendition of High Hopes.

Nancy continued the interview and discussed the Doris Day filmography. Nancy and her producer memtioned
about all the characters Doris played whose names started with the letter "J"--Judy, Jo, Jane, Josie. Doris
indicated she had to research the subject. Chuck Granada told Doris that It Happened To Jane was one of his favorite films. Doris then mentioned how much she had enjoyed working with her buddy Jack Lemmon. Doris said she was told that during an interview with Larry King, Lemmon said that Doris was his favorite person to work with. Doris said she had tried to contact him to thank him for the compliment but was unable to do so. At this point Doris sang It's You Or No One. This was followed by Frank's version which started with the introductory verse, but concluded with another jazzy version. Immediately thereafter Doris sang Someone Like You.

The year 1947 came up as did the pairing of Frank and Doris singing Let's Take An Old Fashioned Walk.
The many artist piarings by Columbia Records were discussed, but it was lamented that this was the only Columbia Records pairing Frank and Doris. Also it was lamented that the standards sung in the radio show The Hit Parade were abbreviated versions usually lasting about a minute and a half or after one chorus. But it was concluded that was better than nothing since some of those standards were never recorded in their entirety by Frank or Doris. Nancy mentioned the professionalism inherent in the singing of Let's Take An Old Fashioned Walk, particularly Doris and Frank singing in the same key with great comfort and the point counter point of the lyrics. Immediately Doris Day teamed with Danny Thomas in Makin' Whoopee, which was followed by Frank's version.

Nancy announces the closing of the show with a "special" gift. The gift is a true nugget from the Doris Day audition at WLW Radio in 1942. The song from Show Boat, Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man has a simple piano and guitar backing, but an unbelievable powerful rendition by 18 year old Doris Day. She was great then and only got better. What a great treat.

The concluding song was Little Girl Blue first sung by Doris, and followed by Frank's version--both memorable.
Nancy said farewell to all and after 3 hours, the show closed with Frank Sinatra singing Put Your Dreams Away.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

As promised, here's my recap but I encourage others to join in because I know I've missed several things.

Nancy is clearly a huge fan of Doris' singing and her films, especially, the early ones and I think she said at one point that Romance On The High Seas was her favorite movie.

As expected, they played songs that were recorded by both Doris and Frank but Nancy refrained from commenting directly on their styles or differences in their interpretations. She left that entirely to the listener. At first, Nancy seemed nervous but she and Doris bonded quickly with their mutual love of music and her father. Nancy made a great point about Doris and Frank being superb at interpreting a lyric and projecting the emotion behind the words.

She quoted Grace Raine's comment to Doris about singing to one person and the importance of feeling the words, not just belting them out. Here is where (IMO) Frank and Doris were vocal kindred spirits because each of them in their own unique way made you feel the lyrics deeply.

Nancy's producer, Chuck Granata, offered strong support and asked Doris a number of questions. Of them yielded the scarcely known fact that the great arranger / conductor Ray Heindorf (who worked extensively with Doris at WB) suffered from chronic gout. Who knew?

Nancy said Frank adored Doris and thought very highly of her. Doris returned the compliment by saying she loved Frank and only wished they had worked more together. She said she didn't understand why they didn't, that maybe he didn't want to, but Nancy assured her he would have loved to work more with her too.
Nancy admitted her dad caused some problems on the Young At Heart set, but Doris downplayed that and said again that she loved working with him. Doris recounted the story of Frank getting upset when someone threw a box of tissues at her on the set. She said Frank took the guy into his trailer and let him have it. Apparently, neither of them enjoyed performing on The Hit Parade, according to Nancy.

She said that Frank was an animal lover like Doris and that he rescued strays in their neighborhood.

Nancy did her homework although she got a couple of minor details wrong. Case in point: she mentioned that the actors in the film Les Miz sang live on set vs. lip-synching to a pre-recorded playback tape. She then reminded Doris that she pioneered that in The Pajama Game by insisting on singing one of her songs live. Nancy incorrectly stated the song was "I'm Not At All In Love" but it was, in fact, her wistful version of "Hey There." Still, her point was well taken that Doris did this long before Hugh Jackman was even born.

Chuck asked Doris if it was difficult singing to the playback and she said that it was not at all hard for her. Nancy asked her if she practiced doing it the night before filming and Doris said, no, that it came easily to her.

Nancy expressed her sympathy to Doris about the loss of Terry. It was evident this is still a very tender area but Doris thanked her and said she still misses him. Nancy said she admired Terry's work as a music producer with groups like The Byrds and The Beach Boys.

As Mary Ann mentioned, Doris indicated she had "close to 50 dogs" at one point but I think she said she has fewer now, plus some cats. Doris said she operated on the principle that if an animal needed a home, she gave them one and they stayed with her until they passed. She was not interested in giving them away or selling them. They were hers for keeps, once they arrived at her door.

At one point, Doris's assistant, Bob Bushara shared information about the DDAF website, the 35th year anniversary and other key points. About that time, a moment of humor ensued, when Doris exclaimed that Duffy Day had gotten stuck under a table. Dr. Bob saved Duffy and the interview continued. However, when Bob mentioned their efforts to rescue the horses in Texas, Doris was moved to tears (briefly) as she said "oh, my horses, my horses." It was a very touching moment.

Nancy said she recorded some demo tracks with the Paige Cavanaugh trio and they both expressed their admiration for him as a musician. Nancy said she was last recording artist to work with him before he died.

The "biggie" was a tape of her first audition at WLW. It was "Can't Help Loving That Man" from the Broadway show, Showboat. WOW -- this was an amazing rendition by Doris and she did an incredible key change in this performance that gave me what they call down South "chill bumps." This was indeed a rare treat.

Just before they played the duet of Frank singing with Doris on "Let's Take A Walk Around The Park", Chuck commented on how wonderful Doris and Frank sounded together. He noted that at one point during the song, they shifted harmony effortlessly, and Nancy clarified they were singing counter=point. He stated this was an example of how gifted they were. Nancy also observed that it was remarkable for both of them to be able to sing in the same key so effortlessly. Finally, Chuck commented sadly that he wished they had recorded more songs together. I think this cut and My Love from Young At Heart is all, except of course, the songs they sang together on The Hit Parade. Here too, though, Chuck said they only sang a few bars, not the entire song, so the listener was robbed of the full experience of hearing two great singers performing top tier songs.

Here's a list of songs they played but I know I missed some of them:

Secret Love
Again
I'll String Along With You
But Not For Me
Day By Day
Its Magic
My Dream Is Yours
I'll See You In My Dreams
Dream A Little Dream Of Me
Hooray For Hollywood
Put It In A Box
Pillow Talk
Roly Poly
Please Don't Eat The Daisies
Black HIlls of Dakota
I Didn't Know What Time It Was
I Only Have Eyes For You (Frank and Frank Jr.)
I'll Never Stop Loving You
You, My Love (from Young At Heart)
Imagination
High Hopes
Let's Take A Walk in the Park
Can't Help Loving That Man
Little Girl Blue

That's all I can remember.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Thanks to everyone for the recap of the show which aired today - nice to hear that Doris sounded so good - look forward to hearing it eventually. We are so lucky that Doris did this rare interview and I am particularly anxious to hear the rare WLW piece ....maybe Doris will feel like doing more of this type of interview in the future, or is this wishful thinking???? Oh well, que sera, sera.
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Texas and Michael, you've recapped today's wonderful interview so beautifully and thoroughly. It really was great to hear Doris today, BUT it was very frustrating for me. I started listening on my computer … 2:00 came around and NO SHOW! Made me crazy. So, I dashed to my car, and sure enough, there it was. It was great to hear, but I just couldn't bear sitting in my car for 3 hours with it, so after an hour or so, I dashed into the house, and tried it on my i-phone combined with my i-pod player. Yea! It worked, and I listened until it abruptly went dead. Back I went up to my computer, and listened to the rest until that also went dead. Rushed back to my i-pod player and finished it off. Boy, FRUSTRATING! DD sounded wonderful, energetic, and it was so good to hear. The highlight for me was hearing that audition of "Can't Help Loving That Man." PARADISE!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

I don't know what happened to my previous post that I thought I left here right after the program this evening.

Tex, Michael and Howard have said it all. So I need not bore everyone with any repeating except that I agree with whomever mentioned the audition track what we heard this evening. I was nearly knocked off my chair. I think Doris was auditioning at WLW after Terry was born and needed a job. The other song, which I have on disk, was equally as difficult and incredibly performed.

I would suggest that those who do not have a free trial with Sirius that you sign up pronto because everything is being repeated. They are NOT asking for credit card numbers. The email that Doris sent to fans has the dates and times, so there is still time to listen to this evening's show for yourself as it will be repeated 2 more times.

Bob Bashara, from Omaha, is apparently Doris' manager of the foundation now and a vet. I enjoyed Nancy's true enthusiasm about Doris' singing career and asked Doris questions, which reflected that she did her homework.

Thanks to all who commented. Most importantly, however, is the fact that Doris sounded just so fabulous, was sharp and her sense of humor is intact. It was just so good to listen to her.

Lauren

webmaster

More on the program for Forum members:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4134#p45939

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

I understand that Nancy had enough interview for over 8 hours and has said they had to edit it down to just 6. I wonder why?
I enjoyed the show but have to admit other than a song or two previously unheard (see above), Part One did not really cover much we have not heard before . Do you think topics to discuss are somehow restricted? I do not mean "taboo" topics; I mean is there a time restriction on answers. It is always good to hear Doris talk and maybe some of the questions should be worded to allow her to talk in length about something. In most of the interviews I have heard in the past few years, it did not seem like they were giving her all the time she wanted to respond, or that she was cut off.
I was hoping they would spend more time talking about the Doris/Frank relationship during HIT PARADE days. Nancy inferred neither of them liked it. That confuses me since their work on that show helped immensely to up their images and importance in the music world. I also liked the way they kind of tiptoed around other things like Sinatra's refusal to allow Melcher on the set of YOUNG AT HEART. (And they did a great job with that, too! ) Doris said she would have liked to work more with Frank...She could have. In fact, he got Vegas Producers to offer her a big contract with millions for the animals for only two shows. She refused. She told us about that in her book.
I was interested to hear Doris say "If Frank wanted something, he got it"....but that had no follow up. I guess that is true, at least, after "From Here To Eternity". Before that, he had some down times.
Music choices were, for the most part, excellent. I would also say that Nancy probably had a lot of problems choosing which songs to use. Without actually counting, I am willing to bet that Frank and Doris have probably covered over 50 percent of the same songs. Their varied interpretations are always good to compare.
Now...on to Part 2.

jmichael
Honorary Member

I forgot to mention one key moment in my recap. This was when Nancy asked Doris if the person she became was more from her father or her mother. Doris quickly responded that she was a product of her mother and that her father had nothing to do with who she is today. If you've read her book, you understand why she feels that way.

Mike mentioned that at times it felt as if the questions might have restricted or redirected. I had a similar feeling of missed opportunity when Nancy mentioned that Frank didn't allow certain people on the YAH set.
It was a leading question that gave Doris a chance to expand on that, but she declined to go there. I can't remember if she said she didn't recall or wasn't aware of it. I felt that Nancy wanted her to open up but did not want to put her on the spot. Nancy openly stated that her dad caused problems on that set, but Doris said he was great to work with. Thank goodness Barbara Walters wasn't doing the interview. LOL

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Thanks for all the great reporting on the show.

A couple of thoughts come to mind: Doris has a reputation for wanting to avoid confrontation and perhaps the context of the show (Nancy for Frank) made it seem inappropriate to discuss, for example, Frank banning Marty from the set of Young at Heart. (Especially if it was because Marty tried to get Doris the rights to record the title song, already granted to Frank.)

I didn't know that Frank had tried to arrange a Vegas show for Doris but given Doris' often stated fear of public performances it's not surprising she declined the offer, is it?

jmichael
Honorary Member

They say our world gets smaller and smaller as we age. If there is a grain of truth to that, then who are we to begrudge her a Beverly Boyer tinged recollection of her life experiences? Maybe her ability to blot out the unpleasant parts and her gift for living in the moment are keys to her survival and her longevity. Either way, I think she's earned the right to share or not share without giving much thought to what people expect of her at this point. Nancy gave her several openings last night but she did not bite. I'll admit I want her to open up more and share some things we've never heard before, but that doesn't seem to interest her at this point.

Michael
Michael H

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Just watched the ending to part two and can't stop crying. Terry sang Happy Endings....I still believe in Happy Endings and Doris. God bless her.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Yes, Ray, I cried too when Doris became tearful over the wonderful, gushy statements Nancy made about Doris and how listening to her music, and watching her films would chase away her blues. I know just how Nancy felt. I venture to guess that many of us feel the same way. All in all, it was wonderful to hear the two segments, and like Michael, I'm sorry we didn't learn much new at this point, but it's been a long time since DD appeared in films and made her recordings, and if she can't recall some details, it's quite understandable. The important thing is she sounded happy, and healthy and that is all I wish for my dear "friend."'
Like Irene Dunne done.

jmichael
Honorary Member

I'm still listening to Part 2 but so far I'm finding her to be more open and expansive in her comments.

I was surprised to hear her say she was sorry she gave up her career so early. She even indicated she was sorry she left LA for Carmel. Did not see that one coming. She said she moved away because of her marriage, but I had always thought it was because she loved Carmel and she needed a bigger place to have all of her animals with her.

Did some of her comments on today's show sound familiar to you? It sounded like they reused portions of the voice over she recorded last year for the TCM retrospective, for example, when she talked about working with her childhood idol, Ginger Rogers.

Ok, now I've reached the end of Pt. 2 and I fully understand what Ray and Howard mean about being moved to tears. Nancy should be proud of this show because it came from the heart and it is a gift to the fans. The last few minutes between her and Doris are precious beyond words. I wanted to hug both of them tight. And if you aren't crying by the time Doris sings My Buddy or Terry sings Happy Days, I urge you to get to the doctor right away. Something is wrong somewhere.

Now where do I go from here?

Michael
Michael H

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

We go on loving what Doris has given us and that will always be on film. Why do we need new? Doris is human and almost ninety. She has and had a fantastic life. They never played the song Young At Heart which is surprising. No matter what Doris looks like with age she will always be young at heart.

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

How I was able to sleep last night was beyond me in aniticpation of the second part of XM Simply Sinatra Special with Doris Day. But somehow I did. The show started nine minutes into the hour, but it ran for 3 hours and 5 minutes. Sinatra started the show with the song Without A Song. Doris followed with A Wonderful Guy, which was reprised by Nancy Sinatra with her rendition from her Las Vegas show Moving With Nancy. Following was 'S Wonderful by a younger Frank, followed by Doris's version of 'S Wonderful. Frank or Frank Junior followed with a reprise from a live performance. Doris followed immediately with I'll Remember April, and that was followed by Sinatra's version. Then Sinatra sang a great interpretation of April In Paris. Doris followed with her great rendition of April In Paris.

At this point Nancy asked Doris if she filmed at all in Paris (a question by Nancy's daughter), to which Doris said no. About filming abroad Doris said she traveled to London twice, but not for filming Midnight Lace, as Nancy had thought. The show's producer Chuck Granada brought up the travel to Morocco for filming The Man Who Knew Too Much. Doris discussed her dislike for the customs she encountered including people eating with their hands. Doris said she subsisted on hard boiled eggs. She really disliked the eating customs and made a gutteral sound to impress the point. Doris also discussed the terrible way animals were treated, and said she took action to remedy the mistreatment. She hopes that her actions had an effect on the population's attitutde towards the treatment of animals. Nancy inquired about Doris's working with Alfred Hitchcock, to which Doris said she was in her glory working with such a talented man. Doris said that during some scenes Hitchcock would ask both Doris and Jimmy Stewart to redo the scene. Doris and Jimmy would look at each other and ask "was it me." When asked why the reshoot, Hitchcock said it was neither's fault, but something else. The producer told Doris that he watches The Man Who Knew Too Much twice a month since he marvels at its perfection. The use of Que Sera, Sera came up and Doris said she knew about the song before she read the script, and did not understand how such a song which she considered "young" could be used in such a deep and heavy movie. But as it turned out the song was pivotal to the rescue of Doris's movie son. Doris concluded that Hitchcock knew what he was doing all the time. Nancy brought up that Que Sera, Sera was also used in Please Don't Eat The Daisies, and asked Doris if she kept in touch with Janice Page, to which Doris said she did not see her since the conclusion of the movie. Nancy remarked that Doris needed to move back to Los Angeles, with no reaction from Doris. This discussion was concluded with Doris singing Que Sera, Sera.

The interview was followed by side by side songs by both Doris and Frank. Night and Day started this series. We all know Doris's wonderful version, but I was very impressed with Sinatra's interpretation which included the introductory verse to the song. The interview followed with Nancy asking if Doris had some favorites among her movies to which Doris replied that among her later films she loved The Glass Bottom Boat. Doris said people who talk to her about her movies always bring up The Glass Bottom Boat as a favorite. Doris said she never felt overworked because she knew she brought joy to people. Doris said she loved working with the Boat cast, that she had a great time and that everyone became a comedian. Nancy brought up Julie and remarked she understood that was not one of Doris's favorites. Doris said that Louis Jordan was her neighbor, but they had not formally met before the movie. Doris said he was a very quiet man and did not talk much -- kind of odd. Doris said she has to laugh about Julie, in particualar about the movie climax. Doris explained she was a stewardes and of course an excellent pilot, so there was never a problem. Then Doris started laughing. The song Move Over Darlling followed. Then the side by side renditions of Pennies From Heaven follows. These two interpreations offered the greatest contrast between the Doris and Frank song interpretations. A change of pace occurred with the Les Brown/Doris Day song My Dreams Are Getting Better All The Time. Nancy said that was one of her favorite Doris Day songs. Nancy asked if the bus travels with Les Brown Orchestra was exhausting, to which Doris said she had a great time. All the band members treated her so well and always included her in their activities, including playing baseball games. They told Doris though that she could not play. Nancy asked about where Doris would dress, to which Doris replied that Les Brown always arranged that she had her own dressing room. Nancy remarked how cute Doris was when playing baseball in her Warner movies. Nancy asked if Doris had doubles for some of the physical portions of the movie, especially the car wash scene in Move Over Darling. Doris said it was all her and it was filmed in one take. Nancy wondered if it was difficult to change gears from movie acting to singing sessions. Doris said no. She loved everything she did. Nancy said she could not bear to watch Doris in such heavy movies as Midnight Lace since it was so scary. Doris quipped, the studios put her in everything.

The songs continued with Sinatra singing September In The Rain, followed by Doris from the Standard Program Library transcriptions. Doris immediately followed with Singin' In The Rain from her Bright and Shiny album. This was followed with the surprise rendition by Gene Kelly. Asked about her co-stars Doris said she loved working the Gordon MacRae. But said that people had to acentuate the Mac in his last name or else he would hit you. Apparently that was a sore spot with Gordy. Doris was especially fond of the cast in Silvery Moon and Moonlight Bay. She felt everyone was her real family, mom, pop and her wacky brother. Doris was especially fond of Mary Wickes, Doris said Wicks transformed herself from an elegant woman with great posture, to an older bend cranky lady. She regarded Wickes as a great actress and also a fun young lady. Doris then talked fondly of Billy de Wolf and Ginger Rogers. Doris described her goofy dress in Storm Warning and said that was the only film in which she died. And she has not done it since. Doris talked extensively about Love Me Or Leave Me, and how much she loved working with James Cagney. She also loved what she described as all those old great songs.

The music resumed with Sinatra singing a jazzy version of The Song Is You, followed by Doris's smart version of The Song Is You. One does not wonder why so many composers loved Miss Day's interpretations of their songs. Another version followed of The Song Is You which I believe was performed by Frank Sinatra Junior. Nancy resumed her interview with questions regarding Doris watching her film rushes. Doris said she was really was afraid to see the rushes because she would always outguess herself that she could have done it better. Doris said the studio loved her attitude, but her directors did not appreciate it. Doris followed with Tell Me. Frank then sang a big orchestra (perhaps Tommy Dorsey) backing of a song with the lyrics 'never stop saying you're mine." Doris Day followed with Oh! But I Do. Then there came a surprise song. Doris sang I Wish I Didn't Love You So from a 1947 Hit Parade program. Doris Day then sang Fools Rush In followed by a solid version of Fools Rush In by Frank Sinatra.

Nancy continued the interview and asked about her transition from Les Brown to doing films. Doris said she had never thought about being an actress. She read a few lines for Michael Curtiz, who she knew was a great director. Doris said she thought she was just helping out at the studio and had laughed about the situation. The next morning she was packing to continue her Les Brown tour, when Jack Carson called her and told her she would be starring with him in a film. Doris thought her manager or other band members were playing their usual jokes. Jack Carson finally convinced her it was for real, and then Doris realized it really was, and that was the start of her film career. Doris Day continued with the song You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me, followed by Frank's interpretation.

Chuck Granada asked if Doris took the time to see her films or listen to her song recordings, to which Doris replied yes. When friends drop by her house and they watch her films or listen to her records an have a good time doing it. Nancy then talked about when her dad was very sick and she would visit with him. Frank loved the desert home. On one occassion they both watched Robin and the Seven Hood and Nancy saw how much Frank enjoyed seeing all his friends together again, so Nancy understood about Doris enjoying seeing her films. Nancy brought up some script lines she enjoys to this day including the "soap smelling like the crack in the school floor (Thrill Of It All), and the line from Move Over Darling when Doris said "what Irene Dunn done or did. They both laughed. The subject of Doris smoking at one time came up, and Doris Day said she quickly quit smoking, but understood Frank smoked quite a bit. Nancy said he tried to quite many times.
Nancy indicated she had a hard time choosing the songs for the XM show, to which the show's producer asked about what influenced Doris in her singing. Doris said when she was 5 years old and was learning dancing that they also sang. Doris said her father was a wonderful musician, conducted two different choirs with 400 singer in each choir, and had some big shows for the citizens of Cincinnati. Ohio.

The songs continued with Frank singing Slow Boat To China from a radio show, This was followed by Doris's
Shanghai. Doris then sang Got Him Off My Hands. The producer remarked about all the Sammy Kahn songs she has sung, and asked Doris if she had time to spend with the song composers. Doris replied that at age 16 she was basically thrilled to be singing, and she never thought of meeting the song composers. Doris said it was not up to her to choose her song. Nancy asked why Doris moved away from her films and singing, to which Doris replied that since she had gotten married she had hoped to devote her time to married life. Nancy stated that the recording legacy of Frank and Doris enabled them to record the best of the best, and proved it with Doris singing The Way You Look Tonight. This was followed by two of Frank's version of The Way You Look Tonight.

The interview turned to filming with Rock Hudson. Doris fondly talked about her relation with Rock, his nicknaming her Eunice. On the set when being prepared for the day they would start laughing and continued laughing during acutal shooting. A great time was had by all with the exception of the director. Nancy inrtroduced the next song as being associated with Judy Garland, but that both Doris and Frank had great versions of the song. Doris sang the first version and this was followed by Frank's version. Doris then sang A Very Precious Love, followed by Frank's version. Nancy remarked that she was Doris's neighbor many times including Crescent Drive, but they never associated with each other. And why not? asked Nancy. Doris explained the proximity of the Warner Studios and Marty's office in Beverley Hills got in the way. Nancy told Doris she had visited her on the Young At Heart set. Nancy had cut her hair to look like Doris and showed Doris her hair cut, to which Doris suggested cutting it shorter in a couple of places. Nancy told Doris she wanted to be just like her. At this point Doris became emotional and told Nancy how sweet she was for saying that, and about how much Nancy liked Doris. Nancy said when she felt unhappy all she had to do was listien to Doris sing or watch one of the her movies. Nancy could not help sharing tears with Doris during this exchange. They both cried tears of joy.

It was time to close the show and Nancy said Dad, Doris and Terry Melcher would follow. Doris then sang The Party's Over, Frank sang Boy Of Mine, and Doris sang My Buddy. Doris then stated that Terry was not only her son, but also her buddy. Doris talked about his talents and about a particualr song he had written for Doris. Doris had asked Terry to sing the song himself, which Doris was very glad he did. Terry then sang his song Bring Back Happy Endings

Frank concluded the show with You'll Never Walk Alone" and Put Your Dreams Away. Nancy asked for prayers for all our troops oversees and asked everyone to take care.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

The show was fabulous and a joy to hear, Doris sounded fabulous!

Re- Your Hit Parade- Doris hated it because she had to be in NY and it had bad memories for her (from her first marriage)- also she had by this time started to have stage fright before live audiences. Frank at this time was falling out of favour in films etc and going through a rough patch - so that is why neither of them cared for this period - though it would have been interesting to hear what Doris would have said on this topic if asked.

Thought it was interesting too that Nancy offered the forum for Doris to expand on Frank's difficult behaviour on the set of Young at Heart- however, even in her book while writing about it all - Doris emphasised how much she loved Frank's work. Nancy hinted here that Frank was [perhaps] in his way trying to protect Doris from Marty at this point...[found that interesting].

Finally, as stated Doris sounded fabulous and when she tells a slightly different version of a story we really must remember her amazing age- she is a fabulous age and a fabulous lady - loved it.