Elusive Oscar Saga

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Elusive Oscar Saga

Unread post by ray »

Our dear friends from the Globe brought 3100 letters to the office of Howard "Hawk" Koch at the Oscar building in L A. Security ushered them out and the box of letters. We should call Mr Koch one by one with our plea. Liz Smith has tried for years in her column in vain with this issue. I think the Oscar people are too snooty and highbrow to care. But its about what the fans think Doris is entitled to. The Golden Globe in 1989 was great but why not Oscar too? Don't want to cause a stir just reporting on this.

howard
Special Contributer

Re: Elusive Oscar Saga

Unread post by howard »

I don't think they turned him away because of Doris. It's probably against their policy to consider suggestions from the general public. It's supposedly voted on by members of the Academy Board, and the Board alone. Let's just hope for next year!
Like Irene Dunne done.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

It should be what we the people want! We bought the movie tickets and put the snobby academy people where they are now.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Our dear friends from the Globe
You can not be serious!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Duh! I was being sarcastic, Thought everyone would catch that. But the last post about being almost 90 hit me like a ton of bricks. We are age denial,our whole generation I think. Betty White bounces all around and I don't know how she does it God Bless her. Doris achieved much having the good life she has at her time of life. And no matter what The Globe good or bad has kept her name alive in every supermarket for the last five years. A book wouldn't reach as many people.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

I thought we had put this subject to rest years ago. It was reported that Doris sent the Oscar folks a letter telling them that if they wanted her to have the award that they could send it up to Carmel, but that she would no appear, in person, at the ceremonies.

The problem seems to be that they will *not* allow Doris the coveted award unless and until she agrees to APPEARat the Oscars to receive it. That, of course, is because it would drive up ratings, if Doris would make an appearance.

It is not fair, of course, but that seems to be the hard and fast rule of the la-dee-das there at the Oscars.

Too bad.

Lauren

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

If I understand correctly, the Doris omit the Oscars, due to the fact that she did not personally receive the award? Say what, the Doris will not be able collect it in person? Perhaps I understand something wrong? But if that is the reason, this is ridiculous, simply does not make sense? Mary Pickford received an Academy Award in his house, was not at the ceremony, and somehow there was a problem. Honorary Oscar is not handed over to the at the Academy Awards ceremony. Only in some other day, which I think reduces the value of an Oscar, and there is such great importance as it once was... For me Doris should get all the awards the world, for me, Doris is great, outstanding and unique. Doris is the queen of movies and songs!!!
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Thanks for posting the video, Anialek. Very interesting!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Ania you make a good point about the hon Oscar not being presented at the main show - this has been so for a few years now. For this reason alone - the Academy should relax this rule - especially due to the age of Doris, her dislike of travel and not least of all: her amazing talents- think Doris would rather have the humanitarian Oscar though - for her work for the animals - she is due both!

Re- your point about Mary Pikford - the Academy still required a filmed receipt of the gong! It is clear Doris has no intention of ever appearing before a camera again and that is entirely her choice.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Sorry posted twice in error! Thanks for the post and from the link you can see too that Myrna Loy also received the Oscar - away from the show - but on camera!

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

That's all I understand, Doris does not want to be in front of cameras. But this is still not a problem for me.

In 1963, the actress Anne Bancroft was not able to appear at the Oscars, due to business commitments. Academy Award for Best Actress for her role in "The Miracle Worker" received on behalf of Joan Crawford

Someone could take the Oscar on behalf of Doris... I am amazed that Doris did not get honorary Oscar. It is scandalous! How can you not appreciate great talent and artistry of acting and vocal Doris?!

As Deborah Kerr received the Honorary Academy Award, I had tears in my eyes, I was very touched. Glenn Close presenting an Honorary Oscar is actress Deborah Kerr, lists the films in which Kerr was playing, and then goes Deborah and everyone get up and it's wonderful. How many times I watch this video, tears themselves come to my eyes. Deborah is the history and legend of cinema.

Doris is a story and a living legend of cinema! Should get this award, because as anyone else deserved to her!
That's all from me in the topic;)

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

I think Doris was better off ignoring tabloid stories like she did for years. Hope the people in charge now aren't putting her up to commenting on them. Which could be tormenting for her. Next bizarre rumor might be the voice on the phone is an imposter. Who knows what they could come up with, with the help of household workers? All these years in Carmel I hope maybe she has met someone nice to just enjoy each others company. She would have to get it quiet from the staff though so word wouldn't leak out. Must be hard to have someone always watching you.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Ania- the best actress award [and other nominated] is different as the nominees do not know if they will win or not- therefore whether they attend or not, will have no bearing on the award already voted for. Joan Crawford won and was presented her Oscar on her [sick] bed in 1945/46 - for Mildred Pierce. Judy Garland was all miked up for an acceptance speech from her hospital bed [for Star is Born] - however she did not win and a film of her life story shows how nasty Hollywood could be - for when her name was not announced - they literally ran from the room - pulling wires etc with them [Judy was in hospital after having just given birth].

Re- Deborah Kerr- this [to me] is a case in point where the recipient should not have attended. It was clear Miss Kerr was too infirm and in the first stages of her illness here- I'd much rather have remember DK from ...From Here to Eternity, The King and I...An Affair to Remember...etc. A beautiful English rose - but a sad acceptance scene [for me]!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Jas, I felt the same way when I saw Deborah Kerr. It saddened me to see her in that condition. She was one of the great ladies of the screen .. a wonderful actress with a most appealing presence.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

I think Deborah Kerr's acceptance speech was most gracious and sincere, I know it's hard to accept that our stars grow older and infirm, even taken away from us thru death, but i didn't come away from this story saddened. As often I get upset with the Acadamy Awards in not recognizing Doris Day for her talented accomplishments and charity works, I was happy that they got this one right with Deborah Kerr. I think the only film i've seen of hers is The King and I.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Every public figure has to decide when it is time to close the curtain on public appearances. Some do this sooner and more gracefully than others, while many never stop craving attention and hang on far too long. Doris has always lived in the now and once she's done with something, she's done with it. It's very clear that no acting award is compelling enough for her to lift the veil at this point in time. So be it. If the Academy Board of Governors ever chooses to do the right thing and honor her work, then bravo, but don't hold any illusions about Doris doing anything more than issuing a statement of thanks to them. If her refusal to appear in public is the roadblock, then the problem lies within the Academy, not Doris Day.

I think Deborah Kerr was gracious and completely without vanity when she appeared in person to accept the special Oscar. If it didn't bother her to appear that way, then it certainly didn't bother me.

Oh, and a few Deborah Kerr gems that are not to be missed:

The Innocents
From Here To Eternity
Black Narcissus
Tea and Sympathy
The King and I
Separate Tables
The Night of the Iquana
An Affair To Remember

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Michael
If her refusal to appear in public is the roadblock, then the problem lies within the Academy, not Doris Day.
Michael thoroughly think so too.

I think Deborah Kerr was gracious and completely without vanity when she appeared in person to accept the special Oscar. If it didn't bother her to appear that way, then it certainly didn't bother me.

Oh, and a few Deborah Kerr gems that are not to be missed:

The Innocents
From Here To Eternity
Black Narcissus
Tea and Sympathy
The King and I
Separate Tables
The Night of the Iquana
An Affair To Remember

Michael
Several films, more about Deborah Kerr.

Beloved Infidel-(1959)
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison-(1957)
Julius Caesar-(1953)
Quo Vadis-(1951)
Edward, My Son-(1949) for which she received a nomination for Oscar
Arrangement, The-(1969)

and many other films...
Six Academy Award nominations. Golden Globes Wins: 1, Awards: 3, BAFTA Awards: 4
Deborah she suffered from Parkinson's disease.
In 1998, awarded the Order of the British Empire (CBE).
She appeared in the following ads:
- 1949 - Max Factor cosmetics;
- 1950 - Jergens hand lotion;
- 1951 - Lustre-Creme Shampoo, Lux soap flakes;
- 1953 - Lux soap, tires General;
- 1954 - Chesterfield cigarettes, Whitman's chocolates;
- 1956 - Woodbury face powder;
- 1957 - lines American Export Lines.
In the poll conducted by the UCI cinema chain scene from the movie "From Here to Eternity," in which Deborah kissing on the beach Burt Lancaster, has been hailed as the greatest movie moment of the 50's.
She died from complications related to Parkinson's disease in Botesdale (England, UK).

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

anialek36 wrote:If I understand correctly, the Doris omit the Oscars, due to the fact that she did not personally receive the award? Say what, the Doris will not be able collect it in person? Perhaps I understand something wrong? But if that is the reason, this is ridiculous, simply does not make sense? Mary Pickford received an Academy Award in his house, was not at the ceremony, and somehow there was a problem. Honorary Oscar is not handed over to the at the Academy Awards ceremony. Only in some other day, which I think reduces the value of an Oscar, and there is such great importance as it once was... For me Doris should get all the awards the world, for me, Doris is great, outstanding and unique. Doris is the queen of movies and songs!!!
YOU ARE QUITE RIGHT ANIALEK..Doris is unique

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

I enjoy all of your comments. I love this forum.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

April 11 in the U.S. ~

Just saw an article in the Globe about the Oscar people turning away a gentleman with a very large box of letters to the Oscars. The letters are very visible as they protrude out the top of the box. This is a tribute to Doris Day fans who have taken the time to support Doris in the quest to see her rightly awarded the Oscar.

It's a small, 2-page article, which is interesting to read, but frustrating, nonetheless, because Doris chooses not to appear in public to receive the award.

Lauren

HilB126
Forum Friend

Unread post by HilB126 »

I'm not quite sure why you think her not appearing in public is frustrating. She simply doesn't want to be in the limelight. She has a right to choose so. You know how much it would take out of her to drive the 6 hours it would take down to LA? You know she doesn't fly.

Your frustrations should lie with the Academy. There shouldn't be a stipulation that says you can only be honored if you appear in person to pick it up. Public acceptance should be an added benefit, not a requirement.

I wish they'd just tape an acceptance speech and play it over a picture of her. She's done it before and I'm sure she'd do it again for such a special occasion (even though we know she'd just stash the award in a closet somewhere, anyway...).

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Oh, I'm very sorry that you think that I am frustrated about this. I am not and never have been. Years ago I read where Doris told them that they could send the Oscar award to her in Carmel and that she would not make an appearance at the ceremony. I agreed with her, but I seemed to be the only one who had read that article or felt that way. I would not expect Doris to do something that she was not comfortable in doing. And I agree with you about getting down to L.A. at this point in her life and years ago when it was offered to her.

I was only mentioning this article in the Globe because I saw it today. Also because we have fans in other countries who probably don't have access to the Globe and would like to hear about it.

Again.....I am on Doris' side on this and not frustrated at all. Just reporting. Sorry that I wasn't clear enough in my reporting. Perhaps many of the letters were asking the Oscar folks to send it to her as she requested. She deserves it.

Lauren

HilB126
Forum Friend

Unread post by HilB126 »

Ah! Alright. I was going by this and I guess I just interpreted it wrong. My mistake.
Lauren Benjamin wrote:It's a small, 2-page article, which is interesting to read, but frustrating, nonetheless, because Doris chooses not to appear in public to receive the award.

Lauren
And yes, she surely does deserve it. At this point, I've come to accept that she probably wont receive it any time soon. If she doesn't care about it, what does it matter to the rest of us? It really is just a form of vindication.

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Yeah, we all know she deserves it. I don't think Doris gives a toodaloo about it, so why should we? We as fans want her recognized by Hollywood standards, via awards, kudos, ec.. Everytime i hear her on the video clip from the Doris Day look alike contest, I realize she is the most genuine person I know of from the Hollywood era. What class!

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Some of this stems from a long held belief on my part that Doris is perpetually underrated. She makes it seem so easy that her work is often discounted or overlooked. That axiom applies to her vocal skills even more than her acting. Cary Grant was much the same way. He was so dapper and cool in every role he played that people thought he just playing himself. Maybe he was to some extent but when you look at the range of roles that Doris played and how she excelled in comedy, drama and musicals, it frustrates me that she has not received more love from the Academy.

I am now assuming a Lotus position, drinking herbal tea and letting go, letting go.....

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."