Why was Doris Not Liked In Hollywood?

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jbeane
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Why was Doris Not Liked In Hollywood?

Unread post by jbeane »

I am new to the forum and really enjoy reading all of your input regarding Doris. I have been a fan since I first saw Pillow Talk when I was in high school. I have kept track of her through the media, films, records etc, but had no idea that there was so much information out there on her life. I have read her book and am now collecting the music and films. I love everything about her. She is cute, sexy, classy, sweet, kind, and she listened instead of waiting to talk, at least that is what I take away from all of your input. I have seen several comments that say she wasn't very well liked in Hollywood and that's why's she has been passed over and underrated. Can someone tell me why she wasn't liked? Was it her husband? Seems like maybe he didn't make a lot of friends. But who in their right mind wouldn't love Doris? I would appreciate hearing what you all have to say. My husband and I are going to her Birthday celebration in April. Can't wait to see Carmel again.. I lived there when I was in high school. Such a great place.. I imagine many of you will be there. What a great tribute to a great lady and animal rights activist.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Best,
Jill
"Someone drops a sigh and down you tumble"

webmaster

Re: Why was Doris Not Liked In Hollywood?

Unread post by webmaster »

Hi Jill

My first reaction is to question the premise that Doris wasn't liked in Hollywood. I would say that she was generally liked, loved even, by friends and co-stars. She enjoyed making films and you only have to read the 'back stories' about those films and the relationships she had with the other actors and directors from her early Warner Bros films (especially her experience making On Moonlight Bay, Silvery Moon, Calamity Jane, etc, all the way to The Doris Day Show, to confirm that.

I think the belief that she wasn't appreciated enough probably comes from fans and admirers who feel she should have gotten an Oscar or two - she certainly deserved one for Love Me or Leave Me, I think, but Hollywood doesn't always recognise musical comedy stars (Cary Grant, Marilyn Monroe, etc never won an Oscar).

She wasn't a party animal, true, but she still went to other people's homes and they went to hers - the fan magazines were full of friendships with people like June Allison, Judy Garland, Lucille Ball, Gordon MacRae, Billy DeWolfe and later, Rock Hudson, Tony Randal, up to actors on The Doris Day show - so all of that has to be taken into account to give a more complete picture of her time in Hollywood, of which she has many fond memories of. Sure there were 'issues', but that is true of all Hollywood stars.

That's my first thoughts on your question anyway. No doubt others may see it differently.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Doris was more than just liked by costars and crew; she was adored! I heard a producer in an interview say that the "Hollywood Circle" did not like her because she would not attend all the parties...So good for her! She cared more about getting enough rest each night to be prepared to give 100 percent on the set the next day. Pray tell, what is wrong with that? That may also explain the three "Sour Apple Awards" from the Hollywood Press Club in the 50's. More power to Doris. She is popular and well liked BY ALL THOSE WHO COUNT! :)

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

mikeydv wrote:Doris was more than just liked by costars and crew; she was adored! I heard a producer in an interview say that the "Hollywood Circle" did not like her because she would not attend all the parties...So good for her! She cared more about getting enough rest each night to be prepared to give 100 percent on the set the next day. Pray tell, what is wrong with that? That may also explain the three "Sour Apple Awards" from the Hollywood Press Club in the 50's. More power to Doris. She is popular and well liked BY ALL THOSE WHO COUNT! :)
In Doris Day's 1976 autobiography, Doris mentioned these Sour Apple Awards, noting it was during a time where she had a nervous breakdown, having worked non-stop. The Hollywood press came full circle since that period.

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane »

Thanks everyone. I was pretty sure after reading her biography that she was well liked and you never hear a negative comment from any of her co-stars. I was referring to the comment in the Joe Pasternak post when he was talking about Love Me or Leave Me and said "It was a huge hit. I was stunned Doris did not get an Oscar nomination, but she wasn’t liked in the industry", just wondered why he would say that. He also made some not too kind remarks later in that post about Jumbo and Doris..maybe he was the problem. As you say she is loved by the people who count!!

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

I would just like to say that I think it was her husband, Marty, who was the one who was "not liked" in Hollywood, if, indeed, that was the case. I don't know about D. not being liked. It was more that she had become somewhat of a laughing stock because she continued to make films without the sex and violence that had become common place in the 60s. That had to do *somewhat* with the war in Vietnam and the fact that people's tastes were moving toward more grittier films.

I think Marty cared more about the Doris Day "brand", which he knew made the money. He seemed to pick films that were the same genre and didn't allow Doris to grow. She ended up making some films toward the end that were somewhat......"wanting."

Just my opinion.

Lauren

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane »

Thanks Lauren. That makes sense and would certainly explain a lot of things. I know there was more quantity with Marty, but I would have liked to see more films like LMOLM. Also while some of the silly songs were cute, many could have been traded for more like the Duet album with Andre Previn. No comparison between Purple Cow and Day Dreamin'. Just sayin'.