Forum Banners 2014

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
puck
Honorary Member

Re: Forum Banners 2014

Unread post by puck »

Amazing banner, Bryan, send my by ipad, and greetings from Costa del Sol.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Doris Martin »

puck wrote:Amazing banner, Bryan, send my by ipad, and greetings from Costa del Sol.
THANKYOU MM

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Thank you. :)

Staying with 'Love Me or Leave Me':

I think you can see the film's story in this one shot: his face shows the pain of rejection, her face shows she's somewhere else emotionally and can't respond to his need for her to love him. Great acting from both Day and Cagney and 'Love Me or Leave Me' was voted your favourite Doris Day film on the forum. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3983

Listen to Paul Brogan's radio show with guest Michael Hadley talking about classic films including "Love Me or Leave Me": http://concordnewsradio.com/?p=5268
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Spectacular scene from "Love Me or Leave Me"......another reminder of why the film is so powerful.

As for the radio show...it was such a pleasure to finally meet someone who is a regular on the Forum and to find out they are exactly as you'd imagined them to be. But then why wouldn't they be since Doris Day ties us all together so nicely.

It was great fun doing the show and Michael has promised to return, via the magic of a telephone interview, for another show this summer.

Now what about you Bryan??????

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Paul -
Check your PM.

Lauren

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

The wardrobe Helen Rose did for LMOLM was really great. A very talented lady; she also reportedly designed Grace Kelly's wedding dress for her marriage in Monaco.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great LMOLM banner, very dramatic.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Absolutely fantastic banner Bryan

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

The banner is absolutely gorgeous. Makes me want to put the film in and watch it right now. Lovely job.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Great Banner Bryan, and another outstanding performance by Doris and Cagney. I get upset knowing again, Doris didn't get the recognition she deserved by the Academy. This is one where she again proved, she not only could sing, but could turn out quite a performance in dramatic acting.

webmaster

Thanks. From an image by Puck:

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Puck~
Wonderful work!!

Lauren

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Puck: Stunning!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Love this banner and the colors Puck, great job.

Ten Cents A Dance. ♪
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUniuD-jsY

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Love the banner and the song!
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Another wonderful banner from Puck. Thank you so much.

Thanks also to Barbara for providing the link to Ten Cents A Dance. What a sensual performance by Doris and if anyone needed proof that her acting range was considerable, they need look no further than this clip. By the way, I recall seeing That's Entertainment - Part Two in the movie theaters and was so happy they featured this number from the film. The audience burst into applause when the clip finished. I think many of them didn't recognize her at first and were stunned at how great she was. I think this film also reminded the general public that Doris was much more than the Doris Martin character on The Doris Day Show.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Michael, I am posting Ruth Etting version of this same song. After listening to her sing, it is hard to believe she was known for "The Sweetheart Of Song" in her day. Nineteen twenties and Thirties. I think I would literally fall asleep if I had to listen to this kind of singing, so monotone. And Doris put such a punch into every line when she sings it. Yes I am so glad Doris made this movie, should have made all her critics stand up and take notice, and if they are honest, admit she turn out one heck of a performance.

Don't go to sleep on this one. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpU-mcgBJxE

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

Puck. Thanks for the wonderful Banner. I too recall the experience in the theatre when "That's Entertainment-Part II" was shown. When the credits started rolling across the big screen, Doris's name was the first on the screen for the particular segment in which she was featured, and there was a collective gasp from the theatre audience just from seeing her name on the screen.. When the "10 Cents A Dance" clip did appear, you could hear a pin drop. The audience was mesmerized by Doris's great performance and how beautiful she looked.
Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

webmaster

Thank you all on Puck's behalf. :)

Let's move on to 'Midnight Lace' with an image from Barbara:

Would like to know your memories of this. I first saw it on TV and thought Doris looked stunning in most of it (when she wasn't terrified!)

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

LOVE MIDNIGHT LACE,great looking banner.Most of it stayed with me for a long while when I saw the movie.Doris can do the drama so well.And she looks stunning.This my favourite look of her.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Fabulous banner - wonderful work Barbara.

Re Ruth Etting- I agree about that style of singing- thank the Lord for Billie Holliday and the jazz greats who led the way for song stylists like Miss Day!

webmaster

Did you ever see my Billie Holiday youtube of "Love Me or Leave Me", Jas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCnXBO3D6b8

You can't really compare the two, Bille & Doris, both are excellent in their different ways.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Just wanted to leave a quick thank you for those who have enjoyed this banner, and most of all the movie.
I personally thought here again, Doris turn out a fabulous performance. Doris has a way of putting herself in the person or role she is playing and gives all she has to each scene she is doing, it was said they had to shut down production for a few days after the dramatic scene of the breakdown Doris had on the stairs, in this movie. She put so much into the scene she couldn't seem to pull out of it, and was said to have experience a mini breakdown. But here again after coming off 6 comedies, was able to throw herself into an intense dramatic role, and turn out an Oscar winning performance.
Would love to hear others take on this movie and Doris performance. Paul if you catch this, I always love your input on anything about Doris. And of course others as well.

PS. Also wanted to wish all a Happy 4th Of July. (That's my Birthday) so I will be leaving out for the Mountains of NC. tomorrow, to celebrate and eat a little BQ. :wink:

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Barbara - Happy (early) Birthday to you and have a wonderful trip. It sounds like it'll be a really good time - enjoy.

Regarding "Midnight Lace" - I agree with all of your remarks and comments and remember Louella Parsons noting in 1961 that she felt Doris should have at least been nominated for Best Actress. Many critics felt the same way as did the public. At least the Hollywood Foreign Press did nominate her as Best Actress for the film but then they were always a more supportive group whereas the Academy's nominating committee tended to try to be more clique. Miss Day and Marty did not play the Hollywood "game" and attend every party and opening and there was a level of resentment amongst some, especially those who couldn't understand how, after nearly 13 years, Doris Day seemed to only become more and more popular.

I think the biggest detriment, unfortunately, was Ross Hunter. Had the film been produced and directed by Alfred Hitchcock, there would have been an entirely different attitude and I really think Miss Day would have been nominated. Certainly her performance was richer and more dramatic than the one given by that year's winner, Elizabeth Taylor for "Butterfield 8". She, of course, won for battling back from death but it doesn't change the reality that Doris Day, coming off of two blockbuster comedy hits, made a 360 degree turn and just as capably played a harrowing role without resorting to hamminess.

With respect to Mr. Hunter, one of the most gifted, kind and successful producers in Hollywood's history - he was resented and disliked even more than Miss Day.

Everything Ross Hunter did seemed to turn to Gold, whether it was a sparkling comedy like "Pillow Talk" (and later "The Thrill of it All"), a dramatic film like "Magnificent Obsession", a family friendly comedy like "Tammy and the Bachelor", a tearjerker like "Imitation of Life" or a musical like "Flower Drum Song" (and later "Thoroughly Modern Millie"), and he had his finger on the pulse of what made audiences happy. He wanted to entertain, move, make cry, laugh or applaud out loud and he did with stunning results for years.

His last film at Universal, 1970's "Airport" made more than 100 million, becoming Universal's biggest success to that time. The critics, however, sharpened their claws.

Ross Hunter was rarely recognized for his talents and more often derided by the so-called elite critics like Pauline Kael, Penelope Gilliatt, Judith Crist, John Simon and others.

Despite making hundreds of millions of dollars for studios, when he had a failure of Biblical proportions (1973's "Lost Horizon") - his first film after "Airport", he NEVER again produced a theatrical film. Yes, he did do some television mini-series and movies but no studio would ever again invite him to produce a theatrical motion picture, that's how much they disliked him.

Fortunately his finest work lives and continues to gain respect and provide pleasure to audiences and I know that when I showed my class part of "Midnight Lace", they were mesmerized and completely bowled over by the film and especially Miss Day's performance.

I corresponded with Ross Hunter over the years and met him a couple of times and he once expressed his true dismay as to why he was so disliked by the so-called "Power Brokers" in the business, wondering aloud whether it was because he was a gay man or because he had "taste" and a desire to help audience's escape life's realities for a couple of hours. When he passed away it was not hugely noticed by the Press, especially in light of his success, and others once again used his death as an excuse to belittle the films he made and the stars he helped create.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Paul,
Like Barbara, I really enjoy your assessments. Thanks for sharing. I think that Ross Hunter was very skilled and certainly provided audiences with some fine entertainment over the years (and, after all, it's called "the entertainment industry," is it not?!). Seems to me that a lot of people in that business -- and maybe in others, to a lesser degree -- have allowed dollar signs to dictate their associations with, and appreciation of, colleagues. Pretty shallow.

Barbara,
Happy Birthday! I'm with you -- I think Doris's performance in "Midnight Lace" was terrific. (The Academy should have hung its head in shame for not nominating her for that and for "Love Me or Leave Me"!) Besides the drama, another aspect I liked was the camaraderie between her and Myrna Loy, which translated very well to the screen. Two classy ladies.