Forum Banners 2014

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Forum Banners 2014

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks Puck, I think it has a touch of Andy Warhol about it: :)

No, we'll never run out of inspiration, Michael - 20 years of films, more than 600 songs - plus yourself and others keeping us going with your appreciation and involvement. 8)

Here's our next film, one of my favourites, 'The Pajama Game':

Your recollections of it? I first saw it in what is now called an art-house cinema, many, many years after it had been released and I thought it was fantastic! I loved all the numbers, especially 'Once A Year Day, 'Hey There', 'Steam Heat', 'Small Talk, 'There Once Was A Man', - if I carry on I'll name them all! :lol:
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Oh I think this forum is just marvelous!!

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Yes, this forum is fabulous. However, I remember how things were before Facebook back in 2004 when I first joined. There were at least 4 times the number of people on this forum from all over the world. It was so active that I almost could not keep up with reading all the messages of the day.

I like this way of celebrating Doris as a person and her talents because of the ability of conversations such as I am doing now and the thrill of viewing the "paintings" and other photos such as Ania uploads to the forum. I also like the fact that this is a central place to get the DD news.

Facebook is okay for certain things, but as a DD fan I like Bryan's forum as *the* place to go for info and wonderful photos.

Keep up the great work!!
Lauren

webmaster

I prefer it as it is now, Lauren - quality, not quantity and all that. :)

I don't think about the past in regard to the forum, it's down to Doris really - we are where we are and I'm happy with that.

'Hey there.... you with the stars in your eyes':

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Another great banner Bryan - and I don't say it enough: but yes, thank you for "the best" forum out there! It is for me by far!

You are right too - and a bit like DD - don't look back, it is the now that is important - tomorrow, who knows? Yesterday- gone -nice to have the memories but it is gone and to live in the yesterday is not healthy!

Thanks again,

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

"Hey There" ♪

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FpLgiuv9mU

PS. The person who uploaded this video should have had the volume set a little higher. :?

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

It's true that many fans share Doris photos and comments on Facebook, but the forum is a much better venue for in-depth discussion and it contains a wealth of easily accessible information about her films, recordings, and many other facets of her career. You won't find that kind of archival material on Facebook and you won't find goodies like Paul's thoughtful perspective on her career either. There are many times when I enjoy the luxury of reading the forum threads to learn more about Doris or consider another person's opinion. Although I don't post a comment every day, I rarely let a day go by without checking to see what's new.

And where else would you find the delightful banners that Bryan, Barbara and Puck provide on a regular basis?

Thank you Bryan for giving us a safe haven to comment and share our thoughts.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Michael as always: you said it perfectly and I agree 100%.

I am here every day, or the vast majority of days each week and it wouldn't be the same if I wasn't.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Barbara - thanks for posting the clip of Hey There- glad DD insisted on recording this live on the set- it truly is acting through song in the most profound way!

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Your welcome, :wink:

webmaster

It's the uploader, Barbara - don't worry about it.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Love the banner! And the scene that goes with it.

In honor of the Facebook pages devoted to Doris - I think the owners mean well and they do a good job most of them, but I just prefer this forum when it comes to Dorissy things.

Lauren

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I'm absolutely in love with this new banner. The Pajama Game has always been my favorite Doris Day film. I actually sang "Hey There" when I auditioned, and eventually made, show choir in high school.One of my favorite scenes!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Yes, I love that image of Doris too, Megan. (Nice to see you still with us!)

Thanks Michael and Jas for your comments.

Facebook is okay, Lauren, but I don't really like spending much time on there. People reveal far too much about themselves and I constantly get 'friend-requests' from people I've never heard of and aren't 'friends of friends', DD fans, etc. It also seems very 'me-focused' - but most of the people I know use it all the time, almost like a public diary, so I still use it - in a somewhat guarded way!

webmaster

Simpler version

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

In regards to Facebook, Yes I am on Facebook, and as Lauren and others know I have a Doris page on there. I started this page in her honor, and to honor all her work. It is because I will always be a Hugh fan of hers. And that is why I am a member of this Forum, and Mike DeVita has "Songs And Memories, and there is a Doris forum on there, and I am a member of that Forum also. I think Facebook is like anything else, it is everyone's individual preference of how much time you want to spend on there, or even be on there at all.
But being the big DD fan that I am, I am always interested in a lot of her different sites, some I have found really good and informative, and there are others I would never be a part of.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

A lot of it comes down to convenience and ease of use. If this site was disorganized, confusing to navigate or rarely updated, then I probably wouldn't visit it often. As far as the others, I have to remind myself to visit them, so familiarity and habit play a big part in this for me. The risk is, I suppose, that if enough competing sites and forums spring-up, the audience becomes smaller and smaller for each one of them. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, provided the quality is there and the respect for Doris as well.

I also enjoy Heck Yeah Doris Day on Tumblr too. Some great and rare photos on that site.

One thing is certain: technology will drive change at faster and faster rates in the future.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Thanks Michael - I like Heck, Yeah as well!

To go back to the issue Lauren raised, I just checked the website visitors for last month (below) - a large number come to the forum so I don't think we are going to be lonely any time soon. Most people come just to read stuff and get information and images.

Interesting that the main 'audience' is from the US - I've noticed that site visitors go down when our American cousins are asleep! And interesting how other countries are represented.

This is why I said earlier that it is all down to Doris - how interested people are in her - and they still seem pretty interested.

I remember that 'busy' time, Lauren - there were a lot more visitors but also a lot more arguments, with people who wanted me to ban other people and do things I didn't want to do, so they all left when I wouldn't.

I think that one of the lessons I've learned is that just because someone is a Doris Day fan it doesn't mean you have a lot in common apart from that - or that you are necessarily going to like them.

I think I'll be here as long as Doris is - after that I can't say - probably like the rest of us..

Interesting that they used to use non-film photos to publicise the film!

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Absolutely smashing banner!!! So different from the ever smiling Dodo.There are times you tend to forget about sad or difficult parts in movies.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Bryan banner is gorgeous lovely

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Bryan~
You have done a spectacular job with this forum. I especially like how you handled the mess when people left. You simply let them leave. That had to do with the books that were released and that involved myself and Mary Anne, whose book it was (also David Kaufman but he was not a member here). Because I was involved in the beginning chapters of the book (in L.A.) and because I helped M.A. get the book published (not knowing a word of the manuscript) people were throwing stones at me as well as Mary Anne. It was awful. I left for 2 years, but M.A. had to stick it out because she had a book to sell.

I want to make it clear that I appreciate everyone's tribute to Doris whether it is this forum or the FB pages or the web sites like "Yeah." Each place on the net helps fans to become acquainted with Doris. Please don't get me wrong on that. However, I, personally, just prefer Bry's forum perhaps for no other reason than I've been on it since 2004. But, yes, things will change. Thanks to all who have tributes to Doris through their internet pages.

Lauren

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Bryan,

Your history chart showing visits to the website last month is amazing; thanks for sharing. It's validation of Doris's appeal -- both as an entertainer and as an animal welfare advocate -- that she still generates so much interest from so many parts of the world. I really like your website and the camaraderie among its members. Keep up the good work!

webmaster

Thanks Ania and Dorinne - it is a great image, isn't it and, as you say, different from the smiling Doris we are used to - one of my all-time favourites in terms of composition. I'm sorry to see it go!

Thanks for talking about your experiences, Lauren. It must have been rough for you. The other thing that some people may not know is that when the forum was 5 years old I moved it to another web host and it resulted in losing the whole thing - 5 years of posts and members. I remember you were a great help to me around this time, Lauren. I just carried on but the forum is now 14 years old (it started in 2000) as those 5 years are missing.

Thanks for your kind words, Judy.

I've always thought that the forum has a life of it's own - it just carries on and I've lost count of all the people who've come and gone - I'm just glad that there are still many of us who were here at the beginning - not to mention newer people who have become regulars - and that we continue to remember Doris and follow her life and career. I guess it's one of our hobbies!

So, moving on - here's another scene from 'The Pajama Game'. I was trying to get the Technicolor look on this. Great number!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

This number and "There Once Was a Man" are two of my very favorite numbers in the film!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Me too Howard - great banner - "all you got to do is work for him - and they've got ya going for cert for him, if there's a guy you merely have a beer with, they've got you setting the wedding date. It seems they just gota have some dirt - to bend your ear with...you before you start I herewith state!!!!"

Fabulous lyrics!