Forum Banners 2014

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Forum Banners 2014

Unread post by webmaster »

I also love the dance (and song) with Hines and Mabel, 'I'll Never Be Jealous Again'!

Howard, I just remembered we did the film on Classic Films Reloaded. I was just reading some of the pieces you wrote:
"Doris Day sang "Hey There" live during filming. She felt that it wouldn't look real to play the heart-breaking scene while lip-synching to a prerecording. Dramatically speaking, a live performance was more believable." - Howard Green

During the filming, dancer Carol Haney became very ill. Doris Day saw Haney brooding on the set and had a short conversation with her. Moments later, Day quietly walked to the middle of the soundstage and said, "Could I please have everyone's attention? - Unless somebody takes this lady to the hospital right this minute, I am going to walk off this picture. Either she goes to a hospital or I go. Thank you".
Director Stanley Donen made a financial deal with studio head Jack Warner to finish the film as far ahead of schedule as possible. This highly energized pace proved to be difficult for one and all. In the hospital, it was discovered that Haney was diabetic. So in a very real sense, Day saved Haney's life. "She totally became our hero for doing that", dancer Harvey Evans recalled. "Even (choreographer) Bob Fosse wasn't standing up for us, as we were being pushed and shoved and rushed through everything." - Howard Green

At first, after viewing his screen test, Doris Day wasn't sure about having John Raitt as her leading man. She suggested Howard Keel, Gordon MacRae or Dean Martin as possibilities to portray the role of Sid Sorokin. The producers, however, were determined to keep Raitt in the film and flew him out to California to make a screen test with Day. The screen test was a success and Doris was won over - but, sadly, "The Pajama Game" became Raitt's only leading film role. - Howard Green
http://classicfilmsreloaded.com/pajama-game.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Hey!! If your not checking in on this forum everyday your missing Out!!! :wink:

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane »

jmichael wrote:It's true that many fans share Doris photos and comments on Facebook, but the forum is a much better venue for in-depth discussion and it contains a wealth of easily accessible information about her films, recordings, and many other facets of her career. You won't find that kind of archival material on Facebook and you won't find goodies like Paul's thoughtful perspective on her career either. There are many times when I enjoy the luxury of reading the forum threads to learn more about Doris or consider another person's opinion. Although I don't post a comment every day, I rarely let a day go by without checking to see what's new.

And where else would you find the delightful banners that Bryan, Barbara and Puck provide on a regular basis?

Thank you Bryan for giving us a safe haven to comment and share our thoughts.

Michael
Michael - I agree with everything that you said. Most people on Facebook are on the Forum as well as other sites. I think we all check in daily on not only the Forum, but DDAF, Facebook etc. When most of us have something to contribute to the Forum we do. I know that by the time my vacation was over in Carmel, and I returned home and went back to work and pulled my thoughts together about the trip, most of what I had to say had already been said - both on Facebook and the Forum. I didn't see the need to repeat the information other than to say I was there and was surprised and honored to meet Ms. Day. People more with more talent than I have put together all types of information about the weekend so that anyone who was interested could be included. Without the Forum I wouldn't have made the wonderful Doris Day friends that I have. I know people from all over the country and world now and had the chance to meet some of them in Carmel. That kind of friendship and trust is built someplace like this site and may continue on Facebook if wanted. Facebook is a quick and easy way to keep up with family, friends, networking groups and Doris fans. You can become involved in a conversation or not, but most of those conversations don't go into depth the way this site does. There is so much historical information as well as many varied opinions about Doris and her work on this site that isn't on Facebook. I don't think you can even compare the two. Most people are on both and I don't think one detracts from the other. I know that when I see a post on Tumblr from Heckyeahdorisday, Dayniac or even my own Tumblr page, I usually see those pictures reposted here or on Facebook the next day or in some cases the same day. Isn't that the beauty of having all of these sites? What one doesn't find, the other one will. We all want to see pictures of Doris that we haven't seen.
With all of that being said, I don't think the Forum and Facebook are mutually exclusive. I happen to enjoy being a part of both.
Best,
Jill
"Someone drops a sigh and down you tumble"

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

good morning my dearest..I have just read your article...thankyou so very much..you are completely right...I love the way you wrote them..thankyou..love MM

webmaster

Yes, thanks for that, Jill - very interesting and supportive - there's room for all fans to express themselves in whatever way they prefer, whether through Facebook or making a website. We're not in competition. Actually the hardest thing is to get people to write about their honest feelings and observations - to be critical in a constructive way. Sometimes I think people's perception of Doris is akin to the Catholic church's view of the Virgin Mary - even to calling her Our Lady. I've never had a problem with seeing her as a person, like me, who's made mistakes and done things she probably wish she hadn't. And who, as well as being genuinely humble, has also acted 'the star' on occasion - you couldn't get to being one of the world's top stars without having some ego. So I sometimes get irritated by too much uncritical adoration. Although I understand it as things stand, Doris being 90, we all just want to give her as much love as possible. It's probably my Anglo-Irish stiff-upper-lip syndrome.

Anyway, before I move on to Young at Heart, here's a nice portrait of Doris from Barbara.

(Hope I didn't 'powder her face' too much, Barbara!)

What was I saying about Doris not being perfect? :)

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane »

Doris Martin wrote:good morning my dearest..I have just read your article...thankyou so very much..you are completely right...I love the way you wrote them..thankyou..love MM

Thanks MM. XO Jill

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane »

webmaster wrote:Yes, thanks for that, Jill - very interesting and supportive - there's room for all fans to express themselves in whatever way they prefer, whether through Facebook or making a website. We're not in competition. Actually the hardest thing is to get people to write about their honest feelings and observations - to be critical in a constructive way. Sometimes I think people's perception of Doris is akin to the Catholic church's view of the Virgin Mary - even to calling her Our Lady. I've never had a problem with seeing her as a person, like me, who's made mistakes and done things she probably wish she hadn't. And who, as well as being genuinely humble, has also acted 'the star' on occasion - you couldn't get to being one of the world's top stars without having some ego. So I sometimes get irritated by too much uncritical adoration. Although I understand it as things stand, Doris being 90, we all just want to give her as much love as possible. It's probably my Anglo-Irish stiff-upper-lip syndrome.

Anyway, before I move on to Young at Heart, here's a nice portrait of Doris from Barbara.

(Hope I didn't 'powder her face' too much, Barbara!)

What was I saying about Doris not being perfect? :)
Thanks Bryan. It' just my opinion. We all love Doris, warts and all, and it's nice to have this forum to discuss our feelings and observations. One can be critical or questioning without being crucified and it generally starts a dialogue. I can imagine at 90 that Doris has a lot of the same questions and regrets as we do. Now it has to be whatever will be.
Have a wonderful weekend to all.
Jill

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Yes Bryan, I love the touch you gave it. I looked back and I think there were 7 movies that DD had this short hair style, all fell back to back, starting with "Young At Heart," I know she made "The Man Who Knew Too Much" In between, but even in that movie they probably added the false twist to the back of her hair.
Getting back how we all seem to put her on a pedestal, I think that gets more true with the older she gets.
But I believe Doris herself will be the first to admit that yes she has made mistakes, and certainly made wrong choices in her lifetime. But she also has said how much she has learn through them all.
Also getting back to what you touch on, about maybe she has used her star status to her advantage.
I remember reading one time somewhere, when a policeman had pulled Marty over for speeding and Doris made it known to the policeman who she was, but it didn't do any good, they still got a ticket, and Doris remarked, I think loud enough for the policeman to hear, something like, " Remind me never to do any kind of a benefit for the policeman's". Also I didn't know about Doris refusing to go on with the movie "The Pajama Game" until something was done to get Carol Haney check out when she became sick. Now that is one time I think it was good to pull your star status rank. Hey Sinatra was good at doing it also. Anyway we all tend to cut Doris more slack the older she gets. But I guess compared to the rest of the stars that carried the high status she carried through the years, I think she will rank right up at the top with an overall good personality and most of the time easy to work with, all her co-stars and directors had nothing but praise for her.
But yes, She is definitely no Virgin Mary. :wink: :D

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Jill~
Your comprehensive and lengthy thoughts were very well written. Jill, for those who don't know, only lives a few miles away from me. Although we have never had the time to meet, I've had the pleasure of talking to her on the phone many times. She has a very pleasant manner and a very engaging personality much like her writing.

Having said that I find that I disagree vehemently with your decision not to share your thoughts and feelings regarding having met Doris in Carmel at the party. It's just my impression after 8 years on this forum that every member here now and those in the future would love to have read about every moment of your surprise experience with her. The photo of you and Doris shows a loving fan and a gracious lady in receipt of your compliments and warm generosity towards her. How many fans have had the opportunity to grasp Doris Day's hands such as you did??? With your gift with words, you would have had everyone on the edge of their seats and grateful to read your words. Too bad. This was an opportunity missed.

Perhaps you didn't feel comfortable, but you certainly seem to feel comfortable speaking up now. And...it's never too late.

I'm proud of the number of Doris Day fans that are on ALL Facebook pages and here on Bry's forum at Doris' age of 90!!! It is a tribute to her wonderful talents. I think Doris would be pleased.

Lauren

webmaster

Thanks Barbara - I feel a bit silly now for having raised the issue. You know what it's like, you tune into some feelings you have, or had, and express them and then you think "What was I talking about?"

Probably, on a certain (Freudian) level, I want to break free of her influence (fat chance) so I try to look at my feelings about her dispassionately. I think, 'Who is Doris Day? Why do I feel this way? She's just an actress, someone I don't know and and this is totally unreal. But it's not that simple, is it? Someone has a big influence on you, you don't quite know why but it's very comforting.

Looking at it more simply, she's a talent performer and there is no reason why I shouldn't be a fan, as I am of, say, Peggy Lee, but I don't have the same emotional involvement with Peggy Lee, even though I sometimes think she's a better singer - so "I guess I'll have to think it out again" - from 'Oliver'.

At least I'm not taking the relationship for granted! :)

Lauren posted while I was thinking...

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

I love it Bryan when you share your thoughts,about Doris, along with others on here. And Jill I too, would love to hear all your thoughts on meeting Doris. Another good friend of mine that got to meet Doris at her party,and leaves replies about Doris not only on Facebook, but we have talked a good bit in our private boxes on Facebook. She was over the moon with joy, she told me when Doris walked into that room. I'm sure many would recognize her photo with Doris. She said Barbara she not only just shook my hand with both of hers, but pull my face down and kiss me on the cheek. Of course I wanted to know every detail, she told me she still has that beautiful smile, and those sparkling blue eyes. She shared with me that when she got home she called the florist there in Carmel and sent Doris some yellow roses mixed in with some daisies. She said the florist knew the address well, she told her that Rock Hudson always called that florist and would always send Doris yellow roses. Maybe he knew that was her favorite. And could it be that is why she has a yellow rose named after her? But yes Bryan, sometimes I too have pondered why I seem so caught up by Doris, sometimes I say, I will just back off for awhile then I find myself seeing new pictures of her that others have posted, or reading replies that are sometimes left on here, or my little Doris page on Facebook, and I find myself in awe of her all over again. What is the hold she seems to have on all us? :roll:

webmaster

Lovely post, Barbara - very late in London so will ponder it more later - thanks. :)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

All very interesting views - Barbara, Jill and Bryan, love hearing all your views - very interesting, and Barbara: wonderful banner work [thanks Bryan for the powder] lol! I think the pic is more dated towards 1957 than 1954 [when Young at Heart was made/released].

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

There is always going to be the "she can do no wrong" camp, especially with a major movie star like Doris. As a fan, you have to check-in with yourself from time to time and ask the $64,000 question - am I managing it, or is it managing me? The focus can become obsessive and destructive, if the people involved don't set healthy boundaries for themselves. I've gotten worked-up over the tabloid stories in the past and eventually realized I have a well-intentioned but misplaced sense of protectiveness about her. I have since made a conscious effort to recognize that she is a public figure and some of this comes with the territory, although I still cringe whenever I see a tabloid story about her.

I had no problems with David's book because it was well written and painstakingly researched and it presented a fair and honest account of areas that she did not delve into in her autobiography. I don't think my enjoyment of his book diminishes my loyalty as a fan, but others may take issue with that statement. That's fine too. We don't all have to feel the same way about this topic. It would be bloody boring if we did.

Let me add that I loved what Jill and Barbara wrote in particular. Their words struck a chord with me.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Barbara wonderful banner, beautiful colors lovely

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Michael, I know exactly how you feel about reading all the stuff that has been in print about Doris especially from The Globe Magazine. Doris has ask all her friends and fans not to buy that magazine. You have a fierce sense of loyalty when you read a lot of the trash they print, and just want to protect her. I remember a couple of times leaving a reply to the editor who wrote the article, but I am sure like everything else they could care less. They just want to print what sells their cheep papers. I have read a lot of the books that is out there that have been written about Doris, and I find myself going back to her own autobiography by A E Hotchner. There were others out there I know she was unhappy with, but we won't go there. i guess one of the reasons I became more and more of such a hugh fan of Doris was getting to know some of her fans that have actually spent some time with Doris, and this person and I have shared so many good stories about Doris, and to this day this person is still one that Doris will call and talk with, and even sent her flowers when she was sick just this past year. Yes Doris is one that truly loves and cares about her fans. And I think that show so much when she came out to her Birthday party and took the time to speak with each one personally and let them make pictures with her.
She is one that is," What you see is what you get," and never tried to be anything but real.
Well here I go again, sorry Bryan I guess I got her back on that pedestal again. Jas thanks for the information on the picture you are so good at telling us exactly the year of all her pictures. And Ania did you know that is one of my favorite TV shows of Doris when she and Myrna (Rose Marie) went in this little club and in order to get in she had to audition as a singer. She said her name was "Peanut Brittle" and went into this crazy dance. :shock: Was so funny.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Great banner! love all your thoughts by the way.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

webmaster

All your comments make me feel that I'm just a normal DD fan with the same questions that most thinking fans would have from time to time - so that's a relief! Beyond those times of serious thinking it's mostly what it is - a huge admiration for someone who's given you a lot of pleasure through their talent and and an appreciation of that person as a human being based on all you've seen and read. But it's good that we can talk about these things as it can only help us to get to know one another better.

Back to the the films and 'Young at Heart' (recently released on Blu-Day (Freudian slip) - Blu-Ray). This one passed me by for some reason. I thought it might be very sentimental so I avoided it. I've now seen it a few times, the first time I saw it I thought that it was! The next time I enjoyed it a lot more. Doris looks great in it and it's a treat to see her and Frank Sinatra together, although the relationship between them doesn't always gel - mostly down to Frank seeming a bit detached at times. I also find it hard to watch Gig Young now knowing about his violent death and wondering if he had that dark side beneath the charm he was so good at in the films with Doris.
Your thoughts?

Young at Heart Official Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFWG0iR3DYc

Online Review on Blu-Ray release:
What really stands out in this picture is the electrifying chemistry between Doris Day and Frank Sinatra. It is particularly evident during a scene with Sinatra at the keyboard singing the classic George and Ira Gershwin song, Someone To Watch Over Me. The sequence is definitely a spine-tingling moment.
The other songs performed throughout the picture are also of the highest order, including Ready, Willing And Able (Doris Day) and It’s Just One Of Those Things (Frank Sinatra). The title tune, also sung by Sinatra, is timeless music which was named Song of the Year by Billboard.
Sinatra’s character in Young At Heart pointed to an image he would later develop -- that of a loner, at the piano, with tilted hat, cigarette and drink. Two outstanding Capitol concept albums he recorded in the ‘50s and now considered classics are perfect examples of this. They are: In The Wee Small Hours and Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely.

Flick Facts
• Director Gordon Douglas would collaborate with Sinatra on four more pictures: Robin And The 7 Hoods (1964), Tony Rome (1967), Lady In Cement (1968) and The Detective (1968).
• When the song Young At Heart became a huge hit (peaked at No. 2) not only was it then used for the film’s opening credits but it also gave the picture its name.
• Sinatra was fresh off the big comeback trail, having just won an Oscar in the Best Supporting Actor category for From Here To Eternity (1953). He exercised his newfound clout by insisting that Young At Heart have a happy ending. He didn’t want to be killed off again as was the case in From Here To Eternity and Suddenly, an assassination thriller that was released a couple of months before Young At Heart.
• The film was originally released during the Christmas season of 1954. It became very popular among moviegoers well into 1955. It remains a seasonal favourite.
http://www.durhamregion.com/whatson-sto ... -resonate/

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

It's not one of my "Top 10" D. Day films, but I like "Young at Heart" for several reasons besides the music: The dialogue, Ethel Barrymore in this matriarch role, and the family relationships -- especially between Doris and Elisabeth Fraser. They were in 3 other films together and always seemed to have nice rapport. To me, Sinatra was an even better dramatic actor than he was a singer (if that's possible) and I think his performance in this film was very good.

Robert Keith, who played the father, was chosen the following year for the role of Barney in LMOLM and his son Brian was the co-star in "...Eggroll." Both underrated as actors IMHO. Interesting that the off-screen lives of Gig Young and Brian Keith would end so tragically.

Don Pippin became well-known as a conductor, but one of the first songs (maybe even the first) he ever co-wrote as a very young man was "Hold Me in Your Arms." He has talked about what a thrill it was for him to have written that song for Doris and that she liked it immediately. I like it, too.

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane »

jmichael wrote:There is always going to be the "she can do no wrong" camp, especially with a major movie star like Doris. As a fan, you have to check-in with yourself from time to time and ask the $64,000 question - am I managing it, or is it managing me? The focus can become obsessive and destructive, if the people involved don't set healthy boundaries for themselves. I've gotten worked-up over the tabloid stories in the past and eventually realized I have a well-intentioned but misplaced sense of protectiveness about her. I have since made a conscious effort to recognize that she is a public figure and some of this comes with the territory, although I still cringe whenever I see a tabloid story about her.

I had no problems with David's book because it was well written and painstakingly researched and it presented a fair and honest account of areas that she did not delve into in her autobiography. I don't think my enjoyment of his book diminishes my loyalty as a fan, but others may take issue with that statement. That's fine too. We don't all have to feel the same way about this topic. It would be bloody boring if we did.

Let me add that I loved what Jill and Barbara wrote in particular. Their words struck a chord with me.

P

Michael
Thanks Michael. I'm with you on this. Jill

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Michael, you're referring to David Kaufman's book, and not that trashy book by David Bret, right?
Like Irene Dunne done.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

"Young At Heart" is a movie that kind of grows on you the more you watch it. I absolutely love all the songs in this film, in fact the music is what makes the film so endearing. A lot of people didn't agree with Frank, and thought he should have let his character die in the end, but all in all it did have a good ending. With Laurie coming down the stairs with their baby in her arms, then joins him at the piano to help sing the song he finally finished, that she was urging him to finish all through the movie. "You My Love". I love Doris version of this where she sings the whole song my herself, she puts so much feeling into the lyrics. "Also Rising Moon," and Hold Me In Your Arms. And don't you just love her rendition of Ready Willing and Able? She is so cute when she is trying to get Pops to listen to it. Saying, "It's a hit song Pops" and jumps up with those cute short shorts on singing it, grabs the two ears of corn and turns around singing,"I've got lots of ammunition". But to me Laurie's character and Barney's didn't seem to fit, she was a happy positive person, that liked to laugh and have fun, and here was this Barney Sloan, a woo is me, and all the world is against me character, that Laurie is constantly trying to encourage him all through the movie, and even tries to get him to loosen up and laugh.To me she and Alex would have made a better match. Oh by the way thanks MusicLover for your information on this movie, I didn't know that Robert Keith that played the father in this movie was Brian Keith father. I learn something new every time I read all the replies. :wink:

This is the cute song from the movie." Ready Willing and Able" ♪
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJIMEn4cc80

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Sorry I meant to post this song also, while we had them on the beach.
Clip from the movie. "Hold Me In Your Arms"♪
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRwH0TN8tVE

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

THANK YOU DEAR BARBARA... I JUST LOVE THE FILM ALSO... actually I just love all her films!

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

howard wrote:Michael, you're referring to David Kaufman's book, and not that trashy book by David Bret, right?
YOY ARE RIGHT MICHAEL...DAVID BRET BOOK IT WAS A RUBISH