Forum Banners 2014

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
melancholy
Honorary Member

Re: Forum Banners 2014

Unread post by melancholy »

Thanks Barbara for posting that song and gorgeous picture.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

melancholy
Honorary Member

doris-day-fan wrote:Heard the sad news just a few minutes ago on the news - Jim is one of her last leading men to die -- Kirk Douglas and Louis Jordan are apparently still with us, but to me, not in the same genre as Jim and Rock.... a true, end of an era. Met him when he came to the Indianapolis 500 many years ago. I know Doris thought so much of him and they would talk. Feel sorry for Doris in losing one of her very dear and close friends. A sad day, but thank God for the wonderful memories and the movies they made together. Maybe TCM will do a special on him.
RIP Mr Garner.
Mary Anne
Rod Taylor is still with us.He is 84.
Louis Jourdan is 93.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Thanks Dorine, for your post, and photos. Louis Jourdan still looks good to be 93, but he was a very handsome guy anyway in his day. I thought it was interesting that James Garner only courted his wife for two weeks and then got married, and he never married again. Still was with her at his death. Had one child by her a daughter. Although she had a daughter by another marriage when she married him.
This is a funny clip, I am sure a lot of you have already seen. But I love seeing DD over and over. :wink:
Trailer for "The Thrill Of It All"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOOlZPnbqqQ

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

Remembering James Garner

July 21, 2014 Carmel, Calif.
Doris Day made a statement today on the passing of her co-star and dear friend, James Garner:

"I loved Jimmy. He was a wonderful actor and a joy to work with. We made two films together and just clicked from the minute we met. We remained friends over the years and spoke often on the phone. I knew he was quite ill and unable to talk on the phone in recent months. The world has lost an exceptional human being and I lost a dear friend. I will miss him so much."

http://www.dorisday.com/news/remembering-james-garner

webmaster

(Dorine, I have to say, that s such an unflattering photo of Rod Taylor! Did it have to be so large! :lol: )

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Thanks so much Bryan for posting Doris statement on the passing of James, everyone was anxious to hear.
Nice Banner of both on them. I posted this picture on my page, hope it is OK. :wink:

webmaster

Of course - but you might want to use the updated one with Doris' comment.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Oh I had already posted the first one, but I did post her statement about his death above it.
It has already gotten over 99 likes, and 16 shares. So people like it. :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/sunnydorisday

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

As always wonderful banner Bryan
"Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of James Garner
A remarkable man and amazing actor."
Julie Andrews

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Just as also a great banner Bryan, he was a wonderful actor and a very dear friend of Miss Day, they were a great team, do love the Movies they did create, especially " Move over Darling" .

webmaster

Thanks Ania - I read that he thought that Doris and Julie Andrews were the two sexiest women he'd met and that if he hadn't been married... which is an honourable way of looking at things.

Thanks Puck, I'm going to cover 'Move Over Darling' next. I've been looking through the images you've sent me for the film but if you have any more - or of 'The Thrill of it All', please send them - and Barbara is doing some as well so we might as well give him a good send off! I'm sure he'd want to be celebrated rather than people feeling sad.

This is a kind of cartoonish version of an image you sent me some time ago:

Barbara, I was thinking about what you said about Frank not properly kissing Doris in 'Young at Heart' when I was looking at photos of her and Jimmy - so different. They were very warm and physical together and it made me think of how you can have that relationship with some people and not others.

Mary Anne, yes you guessed it, TCM (USA) are having a screening of his films, including 'The Thrill of it All'. :)

webmaster

PS: One of my favourite James Garner fun films is 'Boys Night Out' with Kim Novak and Tony Randall. It could easily have been a Rock, Doris & Tony film. Watch the trailer at TCM:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1666 ... iler-.html

It's a while since I saw it but I really enjoyed it. The 'boys' decide it would be great to have a blond sexpot in a kept apartment and (somehow!) Kim Novak, who plays a psychology student studying infidelity, gets the job. They all visit separately and Kim manages to keep it all platonic while using them for her degree. Of course they all pretend they made mad passionate love to her!

Catch it if you can!

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Yes I agree Bryan, there was definitely chemistry between Doris, James, and Rock and a little with Rod Taylor, but I think with Frank it really wasn't there so much, although she said she really enjoyed working with him. I have always thought Kim Novak was very attractive blond and enjoyed some of her movies. I watched her a few weeks ago when Robert Osborne interviewed her. She always came across as kind of reserved and private, and sometime it was that same personality that came across again even in her films.
But it you caught her interview when she tells about her life, and how she was treated in some of her films by some of her directors, you can kind of understand why. But she was a beautiful lady in her day, but if you caught the Academy awards when she was one of the presenters she looked kind of spooky, has had a lot of work done, so glad Doris didn't do all that to herself.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I remember years ago, passing a film set in downtown New York. Garner was there, sitting on a director's chair, and very generously speaking to the curious folks who had gathered around to watch the proceedings. Someone asked him how he liked working with Kim Novak. (I'll never forget this!). He said (I'm paraphrasing here) "I don't enjoy working with prima donnas!" Ouch!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Interesting Howard. Though I always liked KN on screen.

webmaster

Shall we start with 'Move Over Darling'? This was a big hit when it came out. The song was banned by the BBC (when they thought they were the moral guardian of the nation) for being too suggestive.

'Too suggestive!' :lol:

webmaster

Thanks for making that pic of Rod Taylor smaller, Dorine - it looks much better. :)

But I prefer to remember him as he was in the films with Doris:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great MOD banner Bryan.

You are right about remembering them as they were- Mother Nature can be not very nice shall we say as the years go by- however, as i say to/ remind people who complain about aging- "age aging is a privilege denied to many..."

It must be so much more difficult however, to age in the public eye [partiuclarly when one is known for a certain look/image] and people can be so cruel - I understand in a way Kim Novak's recent "look" trying to hold back the years and thought it appalling how she was bullied on the net for her choice.

I guess we all thought Doris would never be seen in public again- however I am so glad she proved us wrong and [as we have all noted] she looked great considering all the shots were taken on cell phones etc. and were not professional - boy would I love to get DD all dolled up, stylised [just a bit more] and before a camera- photo or film! However in conclusion, we are blessed aren't we to have our girl still so vital and so healthy for her years?

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Bryan, I love this MOD banner also. And Jas you are right on about aging, we shouldn't worry about the look of aging so much,but be grateful we are still here. I know it must be hard though,if you have always been in the public eye, and maybe the reason you were remembered was your beauty. Kind of wonder what Marilyn Monroe would look like now it she had lived. But so glad Doris decided not to worry about it anymore and make that famous appearance on her 90th Birthday. I though she looked great and still had that big warm smile that she was known for. I think if she had someone to really encourage her and would arrange more public appearances for her she would come out more.
I feel she really misses the public, and especially her fans, she has said this many times in interviews.
But all in all I think Doris looked great, considering it was probably a last moment decision to come to her party. And like you said Jas bring in someone really good with makeup, and put on a really stylish outfit she would still be a knockout. :wink: :roll:

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Absolutely love the new banner. MOD was the first DD film I ever watched, I fell in love instantly. Was very sad to hear of James Garner's passing. Does anyone know if TCM is, or already has, done a James Garner day to celebrate his life and films?
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

melancholy
Honorary Member

Such a wonderful banner and lovely colours especially.
Here is a picture of Rod Taylor to make up for the down to earth one...when he played Winston Churchill in the movie "Inglorious Basterds".
I find it quite sad when people cannot accept wrinkles and the naked thruth of getting older.I saw Barry Manilow in the Graham Norton Show,and my mouth fell open.His jaws look like turtles,and he looks miserable.So what a priviledge it is as for Doris showing up at her birthdayparty,not even thinking of dressing up.If she would be all dolled up as she used to,we would be amazed at her natural beauty,as we have Always known it.

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

Well, we can all get another look at how DD looked way back when on TCM. Young Man With A Horn is scheduled to be on tonite at midnight eastern time in the U.S. And, TCM is doing a tribute to James Garner on Monday starting at 6am. I couldn't find a list of his movies that they'll be showing but hopefully at least one with Doris will be included. With luck they'll show both.

I also loved James Garner in The Americanization of Emily and Murphy's Romance. He will be missed.

Renie

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Renie, James Garner's movies start this Monday around 8:30 AM Central time and "The Thrill Of It All starts at 7:00 PM. I didn't see MOD. On the list, don't think they are showing that at this time.
But I will enjoy seeing a few of James movies that I haven't seen in a while. I wonder how many caught the special movie with James and Julie Andrews. "One Special Night" it is a warm and delightful movie. They usually play it around Christmas.
This is a clip of both James and Julie talking about working on this movie together, was made in 1999.
If you haven't seen it, It is one you will enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtviWgZ2CwE
Wow! Can't believe, I just found the movie, I think it shows the whole movie. Here It is if you want to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WELRq5c9ZaU

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

Thanks for the links and information about TCM. I have seen One Special Night a few times before but, thanks to you, I can watch it again now. That's what I like about this forum. There's always someone who has some helpful information.

Renie