Forum Banners 2014

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Forum Banners 2014

Unread post by webmaster »

Dorine, personally, I wasn't thinking so much about ageing as 'bad photos'. Everyone takes bad photos and we don't post them online or want them seen by everyone. As a photographer I'm always having people say to me "Don't put that online!" "I hate that photo of me!" - even if I like it, I always respect their wishes. I try not to use 'bad photos' of Doris (or anyone) and there are some that I really don't like! (Remember how even Marilyn Monroe used to make big Xs on her photo proofs?) And generally think, would I like this photo of me 'out there'?

And I like a lot of the photos of Doris on her birthday - especially the one on the balcony. And that is another point, it's about lighting - that was taken in natural light - some of the less flattering ones were taken with in-you-face flash, which is not the best method.

Nice to see you post, Renie! :)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

From Barbara:

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Very cute banner.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Sinem
Forum Friend

Unread post by Sinem »

So sweet banner, we will miss you James Garner :(

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Barbara wonderful banner, just fantastic

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Just wanted to say a special thank you to Bryan, and all who enjoyed this banner. Had to watch this movie again last night, it has so many funny scenes in it. No matter how many times I watch it, I find myself cracking up. Doris can really pick you up anytime, I am told she still has that wonderful sense of humor.
Well I don't know about the rest of the world, but it is really hot here in the south today.
Wheee!! :roll:

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Bryan, talking about photos that was taken on Doris Birthday, I was wondering what you might think about this one? All I did was add a touch more lipstick and a little more eyeliner under her lower lashes, so her eyes would show up better. I think in this photo she really looks great to be 90. Still has that beautiful smile that made her famous, and that sparkle in her eyes is still there. Anyway wanted your opinion or anyone else out there.

webmaster

Yes, she looks very good, Barbara.

More from 'Move Over Darling'

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Barbara wrote:Bryan, talking about photos that was taken on Doris Birthday, I was wondering what you might think about this one? All I did was add a touch more lipstick and a little more eyeliner under her lower lashes, so her eyes would show up better. I think in this photo she really looks great to be 90. Still has that beautiful smile that made her famous, and that sparkle in her eyes is still there. Anyway wanted your opinion or anyone else out there.

What strikes me is how naturally beautiful she is. And she still looks like Doris Day. Even without the photo enhancements, her skin glowed in the untouched pictures from the 90th birthday event and the sparkle is still in her eyes. She radiates joy and kindness without a trace of Hollywood artificiality or an attempt to look younger than she is. Unlike other recent public examples I can think of, Doris stopped before she went too far with the cosmetic surgery. Now, if I am being completely honest, I think a professional stylist and hairdresser would have given her a more glamorous look that evening, but honestly, why gild the lily?

Barbara, I like what you did with the photo because it's subtle and not overdone.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Michael I completely agree, so glad Doris didn't go too far with having a lot of work done, she still looks natural and radiant, with that warm smile and that same sparkle in her eyes, but just a tad more makeup helped out.
Also one of my favorite hairstyles on Doris was when she did her TV special, love this hairstyle, and color.
Bryan I love this Banner you have up now better than the last one. :wink: You know me, just love the natural look.
This is one of my favorite hairstyles on Doris after she left the movies.

webmaster

Thanks Barbara - but, if possible, in future, could we try and keep to the topic - it gets a bit confusing if there is another conversation going on at the same time.

Nora Neat

melancholy
Honorary Member

Talking about Doris looking good is very true and real.As said before,she might have looke glamorous if she would have decided earlier to come to her party,but she looks fabulous the way she is.
Lovely pictures that came along with the lovely banner.Thanks!
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

To me Doris has always been "vitality personified," and I think her recent birthday photos show very well that it hasn't waned.

webmaster

Actually, I've gotten distracted myself now. We've probably said all we have to about 'Move Over Darling' anyway.

And speaking of vitality, I came across this image of Doris I hadn't seen before. The caption said it was in her house and she's holding an ornament that was in that area. Anyone know which house that was? Sometime in the fifties.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Let's have a drink to wash away confusion...I thought I saw the picture before,but mine is somewhat different.Was it Crescent drive where Doris lived at the time.We will find out by the people who really know.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Don't know which house this is, but she's holding a corked bottle stopper. I used to have a similar one.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Wonder if that is the famous soda fountain bar at Crescent Drive?

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

I absolutely love this image Doris, Doris looks angelic here Wonderful banner, just fantastic How ogladam different pictures of Doris, I see that she is a beautiful woman Doris looks beautiful in every age and period of your life amazing woman

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

webmaster

This is another in-house photo from Great Classics, not sure if it's the same house. Doris looks a little older here - or is it the no-make-up look? Or it might just be the pose and angle.

Original:

(I might have overdone the skin-brightening - Barbara probably prefers the original. :) But there you go, you've got both.)

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Fabulous banner !!! a girl with style, love it, she looks amazing. Thank you Bryan, you did create something special.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Sweet picture!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Unearthly beauty, angel sweetWonderful banner, just fantastic I love it pure magic

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

melancholy
Honorary Member

Very beautiful banner!
A dreamy Doris in the same series.
And you are talking about a famous soda spring Jas,what do you make of this picture?

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes Dorine, Edie Adams said you could get any soda from that bar BUT NOT an alcoholic beverage lol...

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

The black and white banners for today and yesterday are simply beautiful in my opinion.

Renie