Forum Banners 2014

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
melancholy
Honorary Member

Re: Forum Banners 2014

Unread post by melancholy »

Wonderful refreshing banner and love the eyes!
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree Dorine, great job Barbara, love the colours.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Doris Martin »

Jas1 wrote:I agree Dorine, great job Barbara, love the colours.
ME TOO MM

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Thanks Dorine and Jas. While we are on this movie of LMOLM. Just wanted to say, and I am sure many will agree, that I think this was one of Doris finest movies in her career, and I do get a little upset every time I watch it, and see the great performance she gave as a dramatic actress, and also her wonderful singing, and was overlooked by the academy when the awards were given out.
She and Cagney both gave outstanding performances.
Leaving a clip of the last scene in this movie, where she sings, Love Me Or Leave Me.
The Gimp, (Cagney) got it right, in his last line when he said. "Got to give her credit, the girl can sing. About that I never was wrong"
PS. Thanks Bryan for the wonderful layout of this banner, love the green. This is the gown she had on in her last number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJsLgdg0rX8

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Barbara fantastic banner, amazing, beautiful colors. You are a great artist :D

Nina Hagen's song 'Pillow Talk' from 1993 album 'Revolution Ballroom'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6S927fZ5xc
This performance of the song in my opinion, poor :( Why is this woman so massacred this wonderful song... :( nightmare brrrr :!:

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Barbara, I agree with your comments re: LMOLM. This doesn't equate to an Oscar, of course, but Doris did get a nice compliment from the British Film Institute when it commented that the sound track album contains "exquisite vocals." So true!

Judy

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Judy, I think it was Grace Kelly that won best actress that year for "County Girl," and even the following year 1956 Doris turn out another wonderful performance, in "The Man Who Knew Too Much", and again that was the year Ingrid Bergman won for "Anastasia." I know these were two great films, and not taking anything away from the actress that won those two years, but I still believe considering Doris performance in this film, and along with her singing. I think it was Oscar worthy. That is just my opinion. Sometimes it is hard to understand how movies like "Who's Afraid Of Virginia Wolf' can be Oscar material, and others like the two I mention of Doris, can go completely over looked. But again that is just my opinion. :wink:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I think we all agree Doris should have at least been nominated for Love me or Leave Me, and for Man Who Knew too Much.

I think it was Anna Magnanni who won the Oscar in 1955- Grace Kelly won the previous year, when, in my opinion, Judy Garland should have got it for Star is Born- however, as the very wise Gloria Swanson= nominated in the first year of Oscar and again in 1950/51=for Sunset Boulevard noted- it is only one person's opinion over another, like comparing apples and oranges...which is better? Your view or mine?

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I suppose the problem is, as with both Love Me or Leave Me and A Star is Born, that it's very unusual to get an Oscar for starring in a musical - or in a comedy. (I can't think of any any the moment, can you?) There's a certain snobbery that doesn't recognise how much 'acting' goes into those parts. Perhaps the actors are deemed to have not suffered enough for their art? Personally I think it's easier to be depressed and angry rather than witty and entertaining.

Not sure about The Man Who Knew Too Much. I don't think Hitchcock gave her the same careful attention that he did to some of his other 'blondes', Grace Kelly, Vera Miles, Janet Leigh, Tippi Hedren - although Doris was lucky not to get that kind of attention!). You'll remember that Doris was upset that Hitchcock seemed to ignore her on location and asked for a meeting with him when they got back to Hollywood to ask if he was dissatisfied with her. To which he replied he hadn't said anything to her because she wasn't doing anything wrong! A bit of a feeble response.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Jas, I had to goggle it, Grace Kelly did win that year for Country Girl. Also Bing Crosby was nominated for best actor, also it was nominated for best picture. You know sometimes that is the way it happens, one movie will get nominated for everything. Everyone thought Judy Garland should have gotten it for "A Star Is Born. Best picture that year was "On The Waterfront, Marlon Brando won best actor also. Oh well Que Sera Sera.

webmaster

New York Times Review comments when it was released in 1955»
One of the gutsiest movie musicals of the 1950s, Love Me or Leave Me is the true story of 1930s torch-singer Ruth Etting, here played by Doris Day.

...But one must admit that Mr. Cagney and Miss Day do their jobs extremely well and make an uncommonly interesting and dramatic couple for a musical film. The proof is that, when Mr. Cagney finally slaps Miss Day in the face, the audience reacts to the shameful violence with genuine and audible gasps. It's as real as when the old "Public Enemy" squashed a grapefruit in Mae Clarke's face.

...In his autobiography, James Cagney had nothing but praise for his co-star Doris Day, and bemoaned the fact that she would soon turn her back on dramatic roles to star in a series of fluffy domestic comedies.
Full review: http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res ... 838E649EDE

I can see at least 7 of the songs that were in the film.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Re: Hitchcock's inattention to Doris, I wonder if the fact that Marty Melcher was on hand had any bearing on that. (One of the recollections of the actor who portrayed the son is that Marty was always close enough to the action that he ruined a take in Marrakesh by using his flash camera, thus incurring Hitchcock's displeasure.) Not to make any excuses for him, but maybe some of his other blonde actresses didn't have husbands who were always right there.

At any rate, I, too, have always thought that Hitchcock's response about his "non-direction" was rather flimsy; however, he did somewhat atone for that at the premiere when a reporter asked how he got such a good performance from her. "It wasn't me," he said, "it was Doris." If he was sincere in saying that, it was a huge compliment.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Great new banner. Really captures the movie's tone.
Like Irene Dunne done.

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Didn't the very funny Judy Holliday win in 1950 for "Born Yesterday" -- beating out the important competition that year, all in performances that still hold up?

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Love it,especially the expression on the right part.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

webmaster

Thanks.

Didn't the very funny Judy Holliday win in 1950 for "Born Yesterday" -- beating out the important competition that year, all in performances that still hold up?
Yes, you're right Dave, great film. Probably a few others... Doris was nominated for Pillow Talk, wasn't she.

Thanks for extra info on The Man Who Knew Too Much, Musiclover - Marty could be a real pain on the set by the sound of it - probably felt he had to earn his commission.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Love this banner Bryan, it is sometimes hard to beat the sharp black and white photos, I never get tired of them.
Thanks Judy for that bit of info on Marty, hadn't heard that particular story, but sounds like something he would do. :?

webmaster

Thanks Barbara,

I thought I'd post the recent image of Doris & James Cagney you sent me here:

Looks good! :)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

LOVE the "Love me or Leave me" banner.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Barbara! A Masterpiece!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Thanks so much Howard, I appreciate that. Also wanted to thank Ania for her previous comment.
I just love everyone on this forum, such nice people. I have found most DD lovers are great people. :wink:

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

This is a fantastic banner of Love Me or Leave Me. The black and white photo gives a stronger sense of drama of the period. I love the picture of the three characters in front of the Chicago Ballroom. Love Me Or Leave Me is a wonderful legacy for Doris Day's and James Cagney's fans. Their great chemistry on screen comes from their strong sense of authenticity.
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks Johnny,

I really like it too! I'm finding it hard to let go of it. For me it typifies the kind of image I had in my mind when I started The Films of Doris Day website. Something that captures the feeling of a movie she made that we all saw. I love the portraits and candid shots too, of course and always enjoy staring at Doris' face for half an hour while if I do a portrait - but somehow the film images are closer to my heart. Perhaps because they seem more real or remind me of when I saw the film. You see Doris in a situation that involves other people. Not sure if I'm making sense, really we need the whole variety but thanks for your comments - it made me think! :)

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

webmaster wrote:Thanks Johnny,

I really like it too! I'm finding it hard to let go of it. For me it typifies the kind of image I had in my mind when I started The Films of Doris Day website. Something that captures the feeling of a movie she made that we all saw. I love the portraits and candid shots too, of course and always enjoy staring at Doris' face for half an hour while if I do a portrait - but somehow the film images are closer to my heart. Perhaps because they seem more real or remind me of when I saw the film. You see Doris in a situation that involves other people. Not sure if I'm making sense, really we need the whole variety but thanks for your comments - it made me think! :)
You are very right,, dear,,

webmaster

From Puck - Barbara next.