Forum Banners 2014

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Forum Banners 2014

Unread post by jmichael »

webmaster wrote:Micheal - this is the untouched original:

(Michael, I've changed the second image to avoid confusion as it wasn't related to the first one.)

Converted version:

A noticeable difference. I will probably dip into the Photoshop pool at some point. I love what I see when you, Barbara and Puck work your magic (pun intended).

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Sentimental Journey: Behind the scenes

From the book Doris Day by Eric Braun
(You can buy or download the Kindle or Google Reader version very cheaply:
http://www.amazon.com/Doris-Day-Eric-Br ... 0752817159
Go to your country's Amazon or elsewhere)

Unfortunately you can't copy the text to quote from the book.
It illustrates how things were often very difficult for Doris 'behind the scenes' of fame and success.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Wonderful banner BryanLove it

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Another nice banner; thank you!

Question about Sentimental Journey being Doris's first #1 hit: I believe that -- although SJ was recorded first -- My Dreams Are Getting Better All the Time was released first. This may be misinformation, but it's my impression that MDAGB hit the top of the Billboard chart in April, 1945, whereas SJ charted at #1 in May. Don't mean to split hairs; I'm just curious and wonder if someone can clarify that.

This is a little off the subject, but I was reminded of Billboard's annual nationwide poll of disc jockeys, in which Doris fared very well. The poll began in 1947, and in 10 years -- 1949 through 1958 -- Doris was ranked as the top female vocalist in the U.S. 9 times (she was #2 in 1953). At least during that decade, she was appropriately recognized by listeners, if not always by critics!

Judy

webmaster

Thanks Judy

Re your question, Wikipedia says:
The recording (Sentimental Journey) was released by Columbia Records as catalog number 36769, with the flip side "Twilight Time". The record first reached the Billboard charts on March 29, 1945 and lasted 23 weeks on the chart, peaking at #1. The song actually reached the charts after the later-recorded "My Dreams Are Getting Better All the Time".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentiment ... ney_(song)

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane »

Great banner Bryan. I love what you are doing.
Was the picture with the curtain etc a promo picture or a candid shot? Doesn't seem to be of the same mood as the movie.
Thanks - hope your week gets off to a great start!
Jill
"Someone drops a sigh and down you tumble"

webmaster

Thanks Jill - the curtains image was one of a series of screen captures that I found online.

I was wondering what people thought of the book excerpt about how Doris came to record "Sentimental Journey"?

webmaster

Reminder, as we are on a new page, and modified banner:

From the book Doris Day by Eric Braun:
(You can buy or download the Kindle or Google Reader version very cheaply:
http://www.amazon.com/Doris-Day-Eric-Br ... 0752817159
Or go to your own country's Amazon or elsewhere)

Sentimental Journey: Background

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane »

Thanks Bryan.
The book excerpt seems pretty consistent with other accounts, however, I have never heard that Doris didn't want any alimony. Sounds like she was fiercely independent from the start! Sounds like most of her characters - so I'm not so sure that she was totally controlled by Marty. Maybe she was just good at picking her battles. At any rate, I think at that time in her life she was struggling as so many were. She was pretty normal and we are just lucky that whatever will be, WAS and she has an incredible body of work for us to enjoy. Thanks for posting the excerpt. Thought provoking.
Jill

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Hi, Jill -

Just re-reading Doris's memoir and there she says, "The idea of alimony was repugnant to me . . . so I asked nothing of Al Jorden." I agree that she seems to have been good at picking her battles -- a good tactic for everybody!

webmaster

It's quite a poignant tale, isn't it? Doris, who said many times that all she ever wanted was a happy home and family, missed out on that completely (at that stage anyway) and gets the 'consolation prize' of a No. 1 hit with "Sentimental Journey" and the beginnings of fame. Lucky for us she didn't have the option of becoming a stay-at-home mum in suburbia, but heartache for her as destiny had other plans that didn't include that.

I guess you could say that she also had a screen career thrust upon her with "Romance on the High Seas", a role she professed she was unqualified for and had, to some extent, to be talked into doing it. I found an interesting quote from the film's songwriter, Sammy Cahn:
"I'll remember this to my grave. We all walked into a room to see the screen tests. The first screen test was Marion Hutton's. Then came Janis Paige [who ended up with a part in the film]. Then on the screen came Doris Day. I can only tell you, the screen just exploded. There was absolutely no question. A great star was born and the rest is history."
Thankfully she felt right at home in the acting business but it's ironic that, even today, when most people seem desperate for fame and success, there was Doris, too depressed to care and not terribly interested in becoming a movie star! Things could only get better...

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane »

Guess I need to re-read the book. So much information, it's hard to remember everything. Maybe that's my problem at work!!
So the article is consistent with her book. She was independent and didn't want alimony. I was thinking about this on my way to work this morning. I too am a girl of German descent from Columbus, Ohio. Although decades later and not living in a totally Germanic community, my family had certain expectations, and we were brought up much like Alma and Doris. Get on with it and take care of yourself even if you don't like what you are doing. Luckily for Doris she enjoyed her career most of the time. Even better she was astonishingly TALENTED!
I do hope she has been happy in her life because she sure has made the world happy.
I am going to re-read the book as soon as I get home!!

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane »

Hi Again Everyone,
Just re-read the end of Forum 2013 and had a thought. If we all have Que Sera Sera as our ring tones and we are all together in Carmel - how will we know whose phone is ringing when someone calls............???????
Cheers,
Jill

webmaster

THE WARNER YEARS - image from Barbara:

(I'm not sure if that is right - were they really all musicals apart from two?)

FROM TCM: "Doris Day made her film debut in the starring role of Romance on the High Seas (1948), a Warner Bros. musical about mixed identities on an ocean liner that had been intended first for Judy Garland and then Betty Hutton. Day clicked immediately with audiences, leading Warners to line up a series of musical vehicles for their new star. She teamed with Jack Carson in It's a Great Feeling (1949, also starring Dennis Morgan) and My Dream Is Yours (1949); and with Gordon MacRae in Tea for Two (1950), On Moonlight Bay (1951) and By the Light of the Silvery Moon (1953).

Early on, Day proved her dramatic mettle in Young Man with a Horn (1950) and Storm Warning (1951). But her high point at Warner Bros. was in the musical Calamity Jane (1953), in which she gives a delightfully rowdy performance as "Calam" and sings the Oscar®-winning "My Secret Love." Her contract with the studio expired with Young at Heart (1954), which marked her only screen teaming with Frank Sinatra (and allowed too little of their singing together). Two years later Day made a delightful return to Warners for The Pajama Game (1957), in which she leads most of the original Broadway cast in a high-energy film version of the stage hit.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Wonderful banner, amazing colors Barbara Love it

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

webmaster

Little Girl Blue? :)

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane »

Love this banner Barbara. Thanks - Jill

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Great creation Barbara, love it !!

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Thanks everyone, but the biggest credit has to go to Bryan, for the wonderful way he displays these banners.
This photo was a black and white, and I think it was around the time she was making "Tea For Two" judging my the hair style.
This was from "Wikipedia" I am sure many have read.

Day began her career as a big band singer in 1939. Her popularity began to rise after her first hit recording, "Sentimental Journey", in 1945. After leaving Les Brown & His Band of Renown to try a solo career, she started her long-lasting partnership with Columbia Records, which would remain her only recording label. The contract lasted from 1947 to 1967, and included more than 650 recordings, making Day one of the most popular and acclaimed singers of the 20th century. In 1948, after being persuaded by Sammy Cahn, Jule Styne and her agent at the time, Al Levy, she auditioned for Michael Curtiz, which led to her being cast in the female lead role in Romance on the High Seas.[2]
Over the course of her career, Day appeared in 39 films. She was ranked the biggest box-office star, the only woman on that list, for four years (1960, 1962, 1963 and 1964) ranking in the top 10 for ten years (1951–1952 and 1959–1966). She became the top-ranking female box-office star of all time and is currently ranked sixth among the top 10 box office performers (male and female), as of 2012.[3] She received an Academy Award nomination for her performance in Pillow Talk, won three Henrietta Awards (World Film Favorite), received the Los Angeles Film Critics Association's Career Achievement Award and, in 1989, received the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement in motion pictures. Day made her last film in 1968.
Day has also released 31 albums, and her songs have spent a total of 460 weeks in the Top 40 charts.[4] She has been awarded a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award and a Legend Award from the Society of Singers. In 2011, she released her 29th studio album, My Heart, which debuted at No. 9 on the UK Top 40 charts. Day is the oldest artist to score a UK Top 10 with an album featuring new material.
Her strong commitment to animal welfare began in 1971, when she co-founded "Actors and Others for Animals". She started her own non-profit organization in the late 1970s, the Doris Day Animal Foundation and, later, the Doris Day Animal League.[5] Establishing the annual observance Spay Day USA in 1994, The Doris Day Animal League now partners with the Humane Society of the United States and continues to be a leading advocacy organization. In 2004, she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President George W. Bush in recognition of her distinguished service to the country.[6]
Day has since retired from acting and performing, but has continued her work in animal rights causes and animal welfare. She currently lives in Carmel-by-the-Sea, California.

webmaster

Thanks for that, Barbara. You can see that I'm trying to build up a picture of her career, highs and lows (not that there were many of those). I'll make a special page of them all as we come up to her birthday in April.

Still on the Warner years, here's an image from Puck:

Doris had this to say about "Calamity Jane":
“In 1953 I made one of my favorite musicals, Calamity Jane. I loved portraying Calamity, who was a rambunctious, pistol-packing prairie girl (I lowered my voice and stuck out my chin a little). I can’t say that the physical high jinks of jumping on horses, bars, wagons, and belligerent men or doing pratfalls in muddy streams seemed to be particularly exhausting… I had a great working relationship with my costar, Howard Keel, and absolutely first-rate songs to sing (by Sammy Fain and Paul Webster), one of which, ‘Secret Love,’ became my 3rd million-plus recording and won that year’s Academy Award.”
- Doris Day, Her Own Story
http://www.dorisday.net/calamity_jane.html

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Already I love this banner Love it
Thanks to Puck and Bryan :D
_♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ_____♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥
___♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ___♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥
___♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ
____♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥
______♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥
________♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥
__________ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥
___________ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ
___________ღ♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ
___________♥ღ♥ღ♥ღ
___________♥ღ♥ღ
___________ღ♥ღ

_________$$$$$$$$$
_______$$___________$$
_____$$_______________$$
____$___________$$$_____$
___$_________$$$$___$$___$
___$___$$$$$$$_______$___$
___$__$$__$$_____$$___$__$
__$___$___$o_____o$___$___$
_$____$_______o_______$____$
_$_____$____$___$____$_____$
__$$____$____$$$____$____$$
____$$$$$$$_______$$$$$$$
______$_$$_$$$$$$$_$$_$
____$___$__$_____$__$__$
___$____$__$_____$__$___$
__$____$$___$$$$$___$$___$
__$___$$$$$$$___$$$$$$$___$
__$S $$$$$$$$$_$$$$k$$$$ $
___E $$$$$$$$$$$$$$B$$$$ M
___R $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I
____D $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Ł
_____U $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ O
_______S $$$$$$$$$$$ Ś
________Z $$$$$$$$cڈ
__________K $$$$ I
___________O $$
♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥~
Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

WOW, what a great Calamity Jane banner - thank you Puck and Bryan for this spectacular creation. It is almost 3-D, too. Loved the 'Sentimental Journey' review - you mentioned Aunt Marie Welz - I knew her quite wellwhen she moved from Cincy to Beverly Hills to live with Doris = she was a delight. I can see that she and dear Alma took super care of Terry while Doris was off making $$$ and pursing her fabulous career.
"Calamity Jane" has special meaning for me - this was the first movie I ever saw of Doris when I was 9 years old and I begged my Mom to take me more than once - each time I felt more connected to Doris. That movie was the catalyst that changed my life forever....and the rest of the story evolved and landed me in the Day household! Guess you might say, I had my eye on the prize ever since seeing "Calamity Jane" and thank my lucky stars that I was given the incredible opportunity of getting to know, working for and living with my idol from childhood - America's Sweetheart - Miss Doris Day.
God bless you Clara Bixby!!!!!
"The BEST is yet to come."

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Love this movie. And a great banner Puck, and Bryan. Another academy award performance on Doris part :D

"Windy City" ♪ ♫

PS. Love your creations Ania..♥ ♥

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Thanks everyone, but just like Barbara wrote, the credits goes to Bryan !!!!!!!
He made it possible, and do love this movie, just one of my favorite.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Wow! What a great banner. Nice work, Puck!
Like Irene Dunne done.