Forum Banners 2014

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Barbara

Re: Forum Banners 2014

Unread post by Barbara »

Paul thank you so much for giving your wonderful knowledge on these movies. I always learn so much from your post. I didn't know that about Ross Hunter, that he was not that very well liked and kind of shun by the so called Hollywood elite group. Such a shame, because he has proven like Doris his talent, with his wonderful movies,. And I know Doris hated the party scene of the Hollywood crowd, and she wasn't one to do that sort of thing to try to be liked, you either liked her for what she was or not at all. Doris was totally real, and was not going to play a part to get you to like her. And thank God she is still like that today, she believed, when she was asked to do a part she would give it all she had, and sometimes even more, even when she didn't partially like the script she was given, and there were several of those as everyone knows. Sometimes I wonder if a lot of these so called awards they hand out has gotten to be too political and all about who you know. Thanks again Paul for your wonderful input like I said, I always learn something new from all your post.
(And birthday wishes, as you get older it is just fun to celebrate with family)

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Love the ML banner from Barbara!

As always, Paul makes many insightful points that are backed up by facts. What a refreshing concept in the age of internet blogs that are full of hastily formed opinions with precious little data to support them.

It's really a shame that the Academy and the critics dismissed the kind of glamour that was a hallmark of every Ross Hunter production. You could always expect an entertaining movie with a compelling script, a great cast, plush sets, wonderful clothes and topnotch cinematography. I can scarcely ever remember being bored by a Ross Hunter film either. He gave a number of mature leading ladies from the 40's and 50's some of their most popular roles. When other producers were relegating the likes of Susan Hayward and Lana Turner to supporting mother roles or B films, Hunter found starring roles for them in A list films that were boxoffice hits. He always seemed to care about them and he respected their contributions to film.

It's sad that he never received the respect he deserved from the industry or the critics. I've never understood why popular success with mainstream audiences was ignored by the Academy. There should have been a Special Oscar on Ross Hunter's mantle for his singular list of accomplishments as a producer.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Amen to all that Michael, I totally agree. I think the Academy should be made up of a large diverse group of chosen people. I don't know how they are chosen or who even chooses them, but I would like to know.
PS.
So sorry Musiclover, Just now read your reply and thanks for the birthday wish, and I agree with you about Myrna Loy and Doris. She was perfect playing Aunt Bee. She was another great actress that was overlooked by the so call Academy.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Yes, happy birthday, Barbara and look out for your 4th July banner in a couple of days!

Thanks Paul, you always shed new light on whatever we are discussing. Shame about Ross Hunter, it probably was because he was gay, Hollywood liked people to conform to protect the studios' reputation - probably a throwback to the years of censorship (The Hayes Office) when you couldn't mention such things and you had gay characters, in films like 'Suddenly Last Summer', 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, 'Tea and Sympathy', etc, not recognised as such. Luckily the sixties changed all that.

I think Hitchcock would have supplied a more unexpected ending but otherwise Hunter did a great job.

Doris described Rex Harrison as 'a darling man' so, as a big fan of 'Sexy Rexy', (Blithe Spirit, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and so on) I was please to read that. We know about Doris' breakdown during shooting, Rex said later, "She credited me and my 'light sense of humour' for helping her keep her sanity while we shot the rest of the picture."
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

It came as no surprise to me that Doris could portray such a challenging role as that of Kit Preston. I loved her, of course, in the early WB films, but after "Love Me or Leave Me," I was totally convinced that our Doris could play just about anything, and play the roles to perfection. When I viewed "Midnight Lace" at NY's famed Radio City Music Hall, you could hear a pin drop. The capacity audience, including myself, sat on the edge of our seats, and contrary to what some critics have said, I had no inkling as to what the film's outcome would be. I recall that when we left the theatre, I overheard a number of audience members remarking about how surprised they were that Doris could be so effective in such a demanding role. It felt very good to overhear their comments.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Thanks to all above for your comments, lovely artistic endeavors. I think politics was involved in things back then. Doris received a nomination for "Pillow Talk" but not for "Lace"??????? I remember reading all kinds of theories back then as to why Doris was never given an Academy Award, but it was never because she didn't have the talent.

Happy 4th to Americans and happy week end to all others.
Lauren

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks for all the great views re Midnight Lace-

Fantastic [and funny] most recent ML banner- love it and great pic of DD.

Bryan= just watched your Billie Holiday clip- loved it and love her! Pity they cut a lot out of Doris' 1993/94 bbc radio interview, I gather she talked about how she loved Billie too- she doesn't often mention her [as she does Ella].

webmaster

True, Lauren! And thanks Jas, I love Billie's version of Love Me or Leave Me, also Ella's and Lena Horn's, all great - but, for some reason, I like Doris' the best! :lol:

Lena

webmaster

From Barbara:

webmaster

Something of an experiment, what do you think?

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

webmaster wrote:Something of an experiment, what do you think?

HELLO,,,VERY CLEVER,,I WISH I COULD DO IT/....BUT QUE SERA SERA....

webmaster

I'll teach you in the next life. :wink:

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

webmaster wrote:I'll teach you in the next life. :wink:
THANK YOU VERY MUCH..YOU ARE SO KIND..In a week I am going to Barcelona..my place..do you need anything???

webmaster

Only for you to enjoy your holiday. :)

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

webmaster wrote:Only for you to enjoy your holiday. :)
THANKYOU..VERY MUCH..

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Amazing banner, simply wonderful I love this banner Barbara, your banner is fantastic as always

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Really love the banner.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Wow, Bryan, this banner is just marvelous, love it very much, great creation !!!!!!!!

webmaster

Thanks Puck, Ania and Jas - glad you liked it!

Here's one from you, Puck:

Below is the original, it would have been much smaller if I'd used all four images so I just used three.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Lovely banner - nice work, Puck and Bryan!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes: fabulous work Puck and Bryan, lovely banner.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Great job on the LMOLM banner, Puck and Bryan. :wink:

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

I like the banner very much and I also really like the "cartoonish" coloring that was done above!!! I don't know why I had not seen that before. I really like it for a change.

Great going Puck and Bryan.

Lauren

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Thank you all, and Lauren I also do love the cartoonage Bryan create, do like it very much, and also what he did with the new banner of "Love me or Leave me" , Thank you Bryan, you made my homecoming filled with sunshine.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I keep thinking that Bryan, Puck and Barbara will eventually run out of creative ideas and photos to put up as banners, but their creativity appears to be endless. Great work guys!

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."