Forum Banners 2014

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Forum Banners 2014

Unread post by jmichael »

Oh Bryan, you need to think in bigger and grander terms, my friend.

Frank and Doris would have been dynamite together in front of a first rate orchestra. Their trademark of singing solo wouldn't have hindered them at all. They would have inspired each other because they were both total pro's and blessed with a natural gift for singing on key, boiling a lyric down to its purest form, touching hearts with their delivery, and demonstrating an impeccable sense of timing and rhythm. Neither cared much for long rehearsals and they usually got what they needed in one or two takes. That kind of musicianship is a match made in heaven. I would say the same for someone like Ella, who was brilliant and a master at scat singing. She might have had to lead Doris a bit with some of the trickier melodies that she was famous for, but Doris might have taught her a thing or two about the beauty of simplicity.

I don't see a problem with pairing her with Andy Wiliiams either. They may be thought of as too wholesome or squeaky clean in some circles, but they both knew how to connect emotionally with a lyric and make the audience feel something. And Jas, I love Sarah Vaughn too and recall her mentioning Doris as one of her favorites singers.

My main regret is that Doris didn't pursue serious singing and recording after she finished the Doris Day Show. With top drawer songs, arrangements and orchestrations she could have shown aspiring crossover artists like Linda Rondstadt and Carly Simon how to do justice to the Great American Songbook.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Very well said Michael, I agree completely, just have one more to add. I wish that Doris and her son Terry had recorded more songs together. And I know if Doris could go back in time I think that is exactly what she would do. So sad sometimes we can't go back, also you are so right about her pursuing her singing after her TV shows ended, she still had so much to offer, not only with her singing but still in her acting as well.
But here is the song she talked her son Terry into singing, so glad he recorded it for her.

"Happy Endings"♪
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHZZ0QjPL2o

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

I'll try, Michael. :)

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Another beautiful banner from this movie Bryan, seeing them together kind of makes be wish they could have ended up together, but that would have never sat well with Frank, being the big star he was at the time. So again Gig Young takes the back seat again, like he seem to do in most of his movies, playing only most of the time supporting roles. I didn't know he was born in 1913 making him two years older than Frank. Frank to me in this movie looks older.
Posting again this beautiful song Doris sings from the movie, since it goes with your beautiful banner.
"Hold Me In Your Arms" ♪
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRwH0TN8tVE

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Young at Heart was one of a handful of DD films shown constantly on BBC in the UK while I was growing up [with Caprice and Young at Heart]- for many years I always wanted Laurie to end up back with Gig Young- however, when older, I liked her with Frank- maybe need to watch again and see what I think now- I love that scene where Gig [can't recall his character name] is carrying her bags and she is wearing the brown drindle skirt and little brown bag = she is soooo 1950s- chic - fabulous- and they give the bags to the Italian to hold while they kiss- talk about Hollywood overdoing it re immigrants- but very sweet!

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Gig Young screen name in this movie was "Alex."Talking about him handing his packages over to the little Italian man while he kisses Laurie, I don't think Frank (Barney) ever really kissed Laurie in this whole move, hmm, why did they let that happen? after all he ended up with her.
There is a little clip of the kiss Alex gives Laurie in this Trailer of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFWG0iR3DYc

PS. Sorry, I don't mean to be posting so much.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Howard Shoup designed the "Young at Heart" wardrobes. Although with her perfect dancer's posture, Doris (like Mitzi Gaynor) was probably easy to design for, I think Shoup really did a nice job on her clothes in this film -- as James commented, a very 50-ish look. It wasn't until 6 years later that Shoup's work began to be well recognized; from 1960 through 1966, he received 5 Oscar nominations (no wins, however).

P.S. Barbara, I doubt that anyone thinks you post too much!

webmaster

Barbara was swooning over Gig Young - rather like 'the daughters' in the film! :) He seems to have had that effect on women. Men (going out on a limb here) probably find Sinatra a more interesting character.

It's the 60th anniversary of this film! (1954-2014)

Movie Trivia from IMdB:
Sinatra refused to accept the role unless the film was rewritten so that his character lives. Doris Day wrote that Sinatra put it on a take-me-or-leave-me basis. After many hectic conferences, the producers caved in and changed the ending to satisfy Sinatra.

The film was untitled until Frank Sinatra's "Young at Heart" became a smash hit and was tagged onto the opening credits. There was no soundtrack album because Doris Day and Frank Sinatra were under contract to different record labels in 1954.

Ethel Barrymore was very old and feeble during the filming and spent most of her time between takes in a wheelchair. She was not crippled but was getting frail and had to conserve her energy for her onscreen performance.

While making this film, Frank Sinatra took an almost immediate dislike to Doris Day's husband, Martin Melcher, he thought that Melcher was using her to get ahead in the movie business and tried to convince Day of that fact. When Day refused to listen to Sinatra's advice, he had Melcher banned from the set.

Doris Day wrote that Frank Sinatra disliked Martin Melcher so much that he threatened to walk off the film unless Melcher was banned from the Warner Brothers lot during production. Jack L. Warner issued the order to all studio security guards so that production would not be shut down.
I don't think it was a big deal that Sinatra didn't want his character to die at the end. It would have been a rather gloomy ending and poor Doris would have been left a window, requiring lots of crying and carrying on and we know that used to take its toll on her! :)

He was right about Melcher on a certain level. A manager who loses more than $20m of his client's money and leaves them in debt - and keeps it all secret - is not a good manager, by any standard. It's to Doris' great credit that she didn't end up broken and bitter as a result.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks Barbara.

webmaster

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Love the banner.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

This is the scene, right after Barney kisses Laurie on the cheek, and says, "I been planning that for a week" She responds. "Kind of mild for a week's start wouldn't you say". Like I said I don't think he ever really kissed her in this whole movie. :roll:

webmaster

Yes, you are right there, Barbara - one-take Frankie probably didn't have the time!

Coming to the end of this film now - one from Puck:

webmaster

Michael emailed me the sad news about James Garner and suggested we remembered him on the banner:

After Rock Hudson I think he was Doris' most popular romantic leading man, wasn't he? At least with fans.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

May he rest in peace.Doris kept in contact with him,she will be sad.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

webmaster

Can't find any comments from Doris about Jim (we know they were friends till the end and kept in touch by phone). Here are some he made about her:
James Garner, who acted with Day in The Thrill of It All and another light comedy, Move Over, Darling (1963), considered her the perfect co-star. “I’d rather have Doris than Liz Taylor,” he remarked. “Everything Doris does turns to box-office gold.… I think Doris is a very sexy lady who doesn’t know how sexy she is. That’s an integral part of her charm. One other thing about acting with Doris—she was the Fred Astaire of comedy Whether it was Rock Hudson or Rod Taylor or me or whoever—we all looked good because we were dancing with Clara Bixby.” (That was the famous nickname bestowed on Day by her friend the comedian Billy De Wolfe.)

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

So very sad to hear about the passing of James Garner. I know Doris is deeply sadden, and yes Bryan they would still talk on a regular basic on the phone. James was a good man, and will be missed.
For those who would like to read more about his life and work, click on the link below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Garner

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Heard the sad news just a few minutes ago on the news - Jim is one of her last leading men to die -- Kirk Douglas and Louis Jordan are apparently still with us, but to me, not in the same genre as Jim and Rock.... a true, end of an era. Met him when he came to the Indianapolis 500 many years ago. I know Doris thought so much of him and they would talk. Feel sorry for Doris in losing one of her very dear and close friends. A sad day, but thank God for the wonderful memories and the movies they made together. Maybe TCM will do a special on him.
RIP Mr Garner.
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

jmichael
Honorary Member

A magical on screen chemistry between two of the most naturally gifted romantic comedy players in screen history. RIP Mr. Garner.

Michael
Michael H

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Sad to hear the news. He seemed like such a stand up guy! He was a terrific, versatile actor, and I thought he and Doris had wonderful chemistry together. Equal to that of Doris and Rock! May he rest in peace!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes, very sad news about James Garner, rest in peace.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Very sad news about James Garner, Miss Day did lost one her dear friends, rest in peace. Mr. Garner.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Michael, love your little animated clip. So cute, thanks.
Hope it is ok for me to share this beautiful song that Doris sings. "You'll Never Walk Along."
My heart is going out to her today in the loss of her beloved friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if13FW23yzk

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Wonderful banner, beautiful as always Well, sadly, died a great actor[*] I'm sad:(
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

jmichael
Honorary Member

Barbara, love the YT video and the song. Perfect choice.

Has Doris given out a statement to the media yet? Just wondering. She usually comments on those who were near and dear and I know James was among them.

LOVED this remembrance from Rob Lowe about James: "He never stooped to acting." Rose McGowan posted a pic on Twitter of James with Diahann Carroll marching on Washington in 1963 for civil rights, with the comment "Now there's a man." Sally Field called him "a diamond" and said "there are few people on this planet I have adored as much." Like Doris, I think James made it look so easy that he was underrated as an actor.

Michael
Michael H