Forum Banners 2014

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
melancholy
Honorary Member

Re: Forum Banners 2014

Unread post by melancholy »

Very nice looking banner from a great movie.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

That's one of my favorite Doris films. Hope one day the rape scene will be found an available, Doris was suprised it wat not in the film. Love the chemstry between Doris and James. Great songs also, one of the greatest albums of the 50's. I believe it was only surpassed by The Bodyguard album from Withney Houston for the best sold album from a movie soundtrack.

Enjoy the film and the music!!! Next year this film will be 60 years old. I have two sets of lobby cards of this film, they are great to watch.

P

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Also one of my favorite picture, Peter.
And marvelous banner Bryan as always, you are just a great creator, thank you.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Thank you all!

And Puck, I came across one you did last year (?) and it reminded me of an Andy Warhol image:

The original - the font is different so it may have been more than a year ago.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

melancholy
Honorary Member

Oh,a double treat!Thanks.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

webmaster

Thanks for that, Dorine (and Puck) - here's another version:

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Probably her most sensuous performance with her rendition of 10 Cents A Dance generating enough heat to peel wallpaper. This film holds up well after repeated viewings and stands among the very best musical biographies in film history. Love these pics, which capture the lush beauty of Doris as Ruth Etting.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

A timely confirmation of your comment about peeling off the wallpaper, Michael: Yesterday I attended a lecture about the music of Rodgers & Hart, which was supplemented by dozens of video clips from various movies. Only two performances of entire songs were shown, one of which was of Doris singing "Ten Cents a Dance." When it was finished, I was amused to hear one "WOW!" and one "Woo-Hoo!" -- evidence that Doris's interpretation is still electric, even after all these years.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Thanks for sharing that with us, Musiclover.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Banner is beautiful, and our dear Doris looks ravishing here

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

jmichael
Honorary Member

Musiclover wrote:A timely confirmation of your comment about peeling off the wallpaper, Michael: Yesterday I attended a lecture about the music of Rodgers & Hart, which was supplemented by dozens of video clips from various movies. Only two performances of entire songs were shown, one of which was of Doris singing "Ten Cents a Dance." When it was finished, I was amused to hear one "WOW!" and one "Woo-Hoo!" -- evidence that Doris's interpretation is still electric, even after all these years.
Musiclover,

Thank you for mentioning this. Your experience proves that real talent transcends labels and the collective sport of putting people down, especially those who enjoy widespread popularity and commercial success. It's so nice to see that people beyond the core fan base recognize her extraordinary gifts.

Michael
Michael H

melancholy
Honorary Member

Absolutely fabulous!Thanks for putting this picture up,love it,what an expression!
Fantastic musiclover you witnissed and heard the wows for "ten cents a dance".

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great banner. Thanks Musiclover for the info- DD's Ten Cents A Dance is [for me] the absolute best rendition of this song - ever ever ever!

webmaster

Doris looks slightly disdainful (I was going to say 'haughty') there, doesn't she? I think LMOLM was the one film that allowed her to break out of the Doris Day persona and showed what she could do 'without smiling'.
I guess you could call it a musical but it never feels like a musical because the music is so integrated with the drama and numbers like 'Ten Cents A Dance' - and the others - just add to the drama.
If any of our current stars gave such a performance I'm sure they would be showered with awards - it's a mystery that she didn't get treated the same way.
A little bird told me she was upset that she wasn't in the top 100 American actresses list by the American Film Institute and commented 'I guess the work didn't stand up'' - such a cruel twist of fate. The only thing I can think is that she made it look too easy or perhaps she didn't have the naked ambition to court the Hollywood star makers who decide these things.
But it's a timeless film and one that will last longer than some of the oscar winners of the period.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Love the wonderful banners from this movie. And I believe this movie will go down in history as one of Doris greatest performances, not only in acting, but in singing. And thanks Musiclover for sharing that information, I always loved her rendition on this song too, she sings it like she means business doesn't she?
"Come On Big Boy 10 Cents A Dance"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUniuD-jsY

PS.
Bryan I don't know who makes those decisions out there in Hollywood, but I know for a fact she could not carry the record of the top box office queen for 4 years in a roll, if she wasn't turning out some pretty good acting. And I don't know of another star of her caliber that still has the following she has, young and old alike still love her. What can you say she still carries that magical charm. :roll: :wink:

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Bryan, I think your observation about Doris making it look too easy and/or not having the ambition to court the power brokers is spot on. The AFI certainly missed the mark by excluding her from its list. Sometimes decisions like that just make one wonder about the criteria used. On a positive note, however, one of the most succinct and perceptive compliments about Doris's talent came from Berry Gordy, founder of Motown Records, when he commented about watching the film "I'll See You in My Dreams." He said, "When a singer can make you cry, you know she's got the goods." Was he ever right!

webmaster

Interesting that - I also read that Martin Scorsese used LMOLM as the inspiration for 'New York, New York' and we know he said he was inspired by 'My Dream Is Yours'.

Barbara's turn and then we'll move on:

jmichael
Honorary Member

Wow. Here, she resembles a Vargas girl but without the nudity.

None of this looks fake either. Its a hyper stylized rendering that is amazing.

Brava, Barbara.

Michael
Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree Barbara, the work most certainly stands the test of time!

webmaster

Big thanks to Puck and Barbara for their continued efforts - and to everyone else, of course for keeping the flame alight. :)
I'm off on holiday in a few hours - hurrah! Hope you like the banner, it's all you're gonna' see for the next week! Can you cope? I probably change them too much anyway.

It's a happy one, I think - maybe I could challenge all you Doris artists to post your own 'Happy Doris' images for next week and you writers to make the written connection?
I'll be able to read your comments and post while I'm away - see you can't escape me!

This is where I'm going with a small group of intimates - not in the biblical sense, more the Doris and Rock sense. An English coastal town, Broadstairs, Kent, not quite the Carmel of the UK, more fish and chips and funny hats. But I like that sometimes. :)

jmichael
Honorary Member

Have a restful and delightful vacation, Bryan. You deserve it.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Thanks Michael - I'm sure it will make me a new man. :)

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Bryan, wishing you a nice and restful vacation, hope you have lots of fun and laughs.

Doris says stay with the

" Stay With The Happy People" ♪
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ZA_pC9Oxo

When I wished Doris a Happy Birthday, I sang part of this song to her.
It's my motto in life. :wink:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great banner- have a fab break Bryan.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

What's the old quote, "When the cat's away, the Mouse will play"?
Well anyway I thought I would play with his banner image, and give Doris blue eyes, the real dark eyes kind of look more like Sandra Dee, or Piper Laurie, or someone. But it is still hard to try and get authentic looking blue eyes, when the image is already dark eyes. But here is a try. He did say to post your favorite Doris image, but I didn't know if he means on the banner page or the photo page.