Is there something going on here that I don't know about???

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Is there something going on here that I don't know about???

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Folks~

A few days ago, I uploaded the video that I made from the photos that were sent to me from Doris' birthday party. I uploaded it here - a bit late because I had to identify the people in the video.

There has been thus far one person who has watched it - JMichael. Thanks J.

I'm just curious as to why the video did not elicit some sort of discussion about Doris, how she looked, what she was wearing, the people in the photos, her demeanor, her friends, what went on, who was there - even if the video didn't belong to me.

What have we become here? Doris Day make an appearance in public for the first time in I don't know how many years, people took pictures of her and you want to talk about anything but that. It's the pictures that matter.

The white blanket that her friend gave her to wrap around her shoulders is worth a 2 page discussion alone.

Maybe being here for the past 8 years has me finally reaching a dead end. It isn't the video art that I'm interested in hearing about. It's Doris and her appearance, how good she looked, what took place that evening, etc. I think you are all on Facebook someplace and that's where you must be discussing things. If so, then that's the place for me.

Lauren

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Re: Is there something going on here that I don't know about

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

Lauren, your video with the varied photos of Doris and the attendees is priceless. This is the biggest collection showing Miss Day from so many different angles.. Sometimes we neglect to acknowledge the hard tireless work done by others on behalf of Miss Day. Although there had been only one posting commenting on your video, there have been 50 or so views, mine being one of them. To me this is the best video documenting the event, and I hope that you will continue to thrill us with more future postings. This is not about me, but I have had many postings which did not elicit one comment, but I continue to share my excitement about everything that is Doris Day, and I hope to see more postings from you in the future.
Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Lauren, I was one of the first to view this wonderful video tribute. I posted my comment days ago. And as of this moment, 113 people have watched it, so it looks as if things are looking up. It's wonderful, and it deserves to be seen! A great array of photos ... you did a masterful job!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Thank you, kind sirs. The two of you are excellent examples of always being there in support of this forum.

It's the conversation that I feel should have occurred about Doris and that we were finally seeing her after 10 years in seclusion. There are no rules about that here and everyone is entitled to how they care to spend their time on this forum.

I, however, had expected much discussion about seeing Doris out in public looking quite well. I see that those discussions are someplace else not here.

Lauren

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Lauren,
I posted a reply yesterday, but must have done so under the wrong category and now I can't find it. Anyway, it was good that you identified several of the guests for us. One thing I noticed was that Doris shook hands with each person there. Shaking hands with 175 people in one evening is not an easy thing to do when somebody is 90 years old. (I work with a geriatric clientele and know a natural part of aging is that very often our fingers become more sensitive the older we get.) Well, I got off the subject a bit here. Just wanted to thank you for posting the video.
Judy

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Thanks, Judy~

For me, personally, this was a huge, huge event. I'm still discussing it with friends. I guess I was thinking that Bry's forum is the meeting place for discussions about major things about Doris, but people have their own friends and there's Facebook.

Doris appears to be healthy (as to be expected) and happy. We are all blessed.

Lauren

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Most of the fans who attended the birthday bash are FB friends and they are sharing the experience there via photos and comments. The photo / video friendly format makes it easy to recap the event with other fans who weren't able to make the trip as well as those who were there. Plus, most people check FB daily, if not several times a day, so the info spreads quickly. Social media sites like FB and Twitter are somewhat replacing the fan forums in this regard, although I think the forums offer greater opportunities for meaningful discussion. You aren't going to find a treasure trove of well organized historical information there either.

I am a bit surprised at the lack of activity here though because a number of those who attended are forum members. Maybe we will hear from them at some point in the future.

By the way, I did enjoy your video very much and left a comment in the original thread. Nice work and thanks for taking the time to capture the magic of that special evening.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

JMichael~
Thank you very much for taking the time for your always eloquent response. This has been an eye opener. It's nobody's fault. It's just that we have so many ways of communicating today. I just discovered Facebook a few weeks ago and am learning my way about that medium.

I've been a member here since 2004 just before Terry died, with a couple of years off during those years - so almost 10 years here.

This forum is excellent for discussions that I don't think most FB pages allow. Furthermore, on this forum, the same people (almost always) make up the conversation and one does not always encounter on FB.

Thanks for your comments, Michael. They are always welcome to me.

Lauren

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for your great video, it's wonderful to see Doris at her 90th birthdayparty! Around Christmas 2013 I tried to get free from work to go to Carmel (from The Netherlands) and dreamed to go to the party... But it didn't worked out that way... But I'm happy for all of you who went and enjoyed Doris being there. She's still in great shape.

I try to read every post, but I'm not always able to reply to everything posted. Life is sometimes so busy and chaotich... But for years, years and years I'm on this site and I try to add interesting photo's, links and information. Also my Englsich isn't the best..

But I think we all, make Bryan's site, a great Doris Day place on the internet to visit.

Hope you'll all stay around and contribute to this site each on your own way.

P

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Nicely put, Peter. I also find it hard to keep up with all the posts on here, not to mention the YouTubes.

I hope people have reassured you, Lauren. Apparently only one person in 100 leave comments - currently there are 36 people online, most are not members and won't be able to comment anyway but things get read and seen. Often it's a bit discouraging if you don't get a reaction to something you've made or said so I think it's good when we acknowledge the effort other people make. But the main thing is that we are expressing something that means something to us so it's of value if people comment or not.

Do you remember the Jerra track 'Having a Doris Day' YouTube I did? You especially didn't like it! :) And hardly anyone made a comment but I love the fact that a punky-band bothered to write a song about her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AF8PWpuFDc

Embedding YouTubes doesn't seem to be working?

Keep up the good work, Lauren!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

With these images I know one person who has recently been in my friends on FB. The clip is of course beautiful:) Someone wrote on the Polish side that can not believe that Doris so beautiful and young look. Someone also wrote there that Doris is dressed not at all like a big movie star. Indeed, Doris doesn't look like a Hollywood movie star. It looks beautiful, naturally gentle makeup. I could not believe that it is possible at this age so young look like... Doris looks gorgeous, and smiles like a young girl amazing I think that beyond the obvious beauty of the outside, beats her inner beauty... If anyone understands what I have in mind... Lauren a fantastic clip, you're great!!!!

Ania

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S44w8F4V ... r63BUKtW7g My modest clip :wink:
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Thank you Lauren for your video and all the lovely work/posts you have done on here for some time. I have been away for much too long; due to moving to New York City and being in film school here. I hope to now resume my posts on this lovely forum which has become like a little family to me through the years. I am so proud to be a part of the team here and thank you and everyone for creating and inspiring many beautiful posts on here for years.
Xo
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique