DAY AFTER DAY

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
mikeydv
Music Master

DAY AFTER DAY

Unread post by mikeydv »

tHOSE who have done any research at all on Doris music know that Barney Rapp supposedly named her after a song she sang in the late 30's called DAY AFTER DAY (NOT to be confused with her hit, DAY BY DAY, with Les Brown). It is a known fact that Doris never recorded the song but she has referred to it in several interviews.

Wanting to hear how it sounded, I have checked many sources. I finally wrote to the music experts at ALL EXPERTS.COM. Here was their response:

Hi Mike,

The "Day After Day" that Doris Day sang (but didn't record) was composed by Richard Himber and Bud Green in 1938. It was recorded that year by Richard Himber & His Rhythmic Pyramids Orchestra with vocal by Stuart Allen, and reached #4 on the U.S. chart for popular recordings. The song can be found at this link to a YouTube recording (at 14:46): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0xRVMP4cuU

The song was also recorded with a foxtrot rhythm by Artie Shaw and His Orchestra with Helen Forrest singing the vocals, also from 1938. Here is a YouTube link to a recording of that version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICnSYmkfv8w

Thanks,
Erick

jbeane
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: DAY AFTER DAY

Unread post by jbeane »

Thanks Mike - I have always wondered about that song. It sounds like something Doris should have recorded.
"Someone drops a sigh and down you tumble"

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Thanks for this info, Mike. Bud Green, the lyricist for "Day After Day," also co-wrote the lyric for "Sentimental Journey."

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I'll bet he never imagined the part he would play in the Doris Day story!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Right you are, Howard!