Possible Award for Doris?

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Possible Award for Doris?

Unread post by Musiclover »

Hi, everybody -

An idea occurred to me after reading a newspaper article recently, and I'd be interested in comments from other DD fans -- especially those in the U.S. -- about it.

The story I read was about an honor that was new to me (although it's an old honor) called the Congressional Gold Medal. It is given by the U.S. Congress to express "national appreciation for distinguished achievements and contributions." There are several categories of recipients, including actors, entertainers, musicians, and humanitarians.

It seems to me that Doris would qualify on the basis of her achievements in music, film, and animal welfare work -- not to mention her USO tours and other support of American military troops during WWII and Korea. People from the entertainment industry who have been awarded this Medal are George M. Cohan, Irving Berlin, Fred Waring, Frank Sinatra, Danny Thomas, Bob Hope, Walt Disney, John Wayne, Marian Anderson, and the Gershwin brothers. I think DD deserves to be added to that list.

I want to ask my congressman in the House of Representatives to put forth her name as a recipient. My idea is that others in this forum who live in the U.S. may wish to contact their respective House members, too -- especially if that person was just re-elected to Congress. (Since freshmen members of Congress would have many things to get used to, they may not give this as much attention as an incumbent would.) The Representative from my district is retiring, but I'm going to ask him anyway.

While we know that Doris doesn't covet awards, this would still be a nice recognition for her -- maybe in time for her birthday in April. It might not work, but I think it's worth a try. What do you all think about it?

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Re: Possible Award for Doris?

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

Nice thought! She did receive the Presidential award in 2004 I believe. If I'm not mistaken, that's the highest award that can be given to a civilian. Anyone else's thoughts?

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Toby, you're correct on both points: The Presidential Medal of Freedom is the highest civilian award in the U.S., and she did receive it in 2004. A Congressional Gold Medal would be a "bonus."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I think Doris deserves these awards and more for her career and her ongoing generosity of spirit in helping animals. Perhaps the people who are giving these awards would travel to Carmel to make it easier for Doris to accept the award. It is encouraging that she appeared at her birthday party last April. I am sure a donation to help her animals going along with the award could make the event happen.

I would like to see The Academy Awards board create a legend award and honour Doris as the first receipt ant. A donation to her animals might maker this happen as well.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

To be honest, I think that Doris has more important things to do - her time is precious now and her legacy will live on, more awards or not. But I understand why people would want to support any effort to acknowledge her contribution to cinema and music.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

Thanks for clarifying about the Gold Congressional Medal Musiclover