Doris Day Forum Banners 2015

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Barbara

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2015

Unread post by Barbara »

Beautiful banner of "Teachers Pet" I absolutely adore this movie, I think Doris and Gable fit the characters they both play to a tee. And their expert talent they bring to the rolls they both play compliment both of them.

"No actor I ever performed with had such public appeal. He was as masculine as any man I’ve ever known and as much a little boy as a grown man could be. It was this combination that had such a devastating effect on women. But there was nothing of ‘the King’ about his personality. Just the opposite. Utter simplicity. Uncomplicated. A man who lived on a simple, down-to-earth scale."

- Doris Day, on Teacher’s Pet co-star Clark Gable

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

webmaster wrote:Thanks Michael. I think Teacher's Pet is generally seen as a very good film. However, I read one review that said it worked better as a comedy (the reviewer didn't like the 'message' part of it) and I tend to agree. If you compare it to His Girl Friday (Cary Grant & Rosalind Russell), a similar newspaper-type story, the seriousness (or the moral issues) is implied through the comedy and is none-the-less effective. In TP, Doris is required to wax lyrically about her perfect newspaper father and judge everyone by his high moral standards. I think that element of the film prevented it from being a classic in the way His Girl Friday is. But it's still one of her best.

And I love her look in this - very stylish and simple. The photo above with white pearls against a black dress is just right for her. If you compare it to, say Lover Come Back, with those flower-pot hats, there's no contest.
Oh, Bryan, I have to take issue with some of what you wrote here. Don't see her as taking a moral stance so much as articulating for the underdog and advocating for responsible journalism. Her character may come off as too idealistic or earnest when she "waxes lyrically," but I don't detect anything in the script or her performance that connotes moral judgement. On the contrary, she comes across as driven to live-up to the principles her father demonstrated for her. I think her character expects serious newspaper writers to aim high and take responsibility for what they publish. Seems fair at the very least to me.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Yes Michael, I thought after I wrote it that I was being a bit unfair but the thoughts were in my head so I expressed them. There is something about the film that stops it being a 'commonly recognised' classic - at least that was my impression the last time I saw it. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood. I probably need to watch it again! :? Thanks.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Very well said, Michael. Methinks it would be better if the formerly high standards for journalism were still as widely practiced today! I like that the character in "Teacher's Pet" earnestly shares with the students her passion for her subject.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Bryan, love the new TEACHER'S PET banner - loved the movie, too. After seeing that movie a few times, I knew I wanted to go into journalism - that was what got me started....and the rest is history!
Thanks for ALL you do Bryan.
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

Excellent banner choice Bryan. Doris is stunning in black and white photos with very few exceptions. In this one she's stunning.

Renie

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

" fifty eight " -- when it was time (for me) to graduate ..

Also the last time anyone was seen to get " weak in the knees "

(It was a very funny piece of business. By DD.)

After that, everything changed !

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

The king and queen together. For me a WoW film!

P

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Bryan wonderful banner, The film itself very cool, super couple Doris and Gable. On the screen fall out fantastically!
ImageImage

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

It's great to see you all so enthusiastic about Teacher's Pet. And Michael, you can understand what I mean about your input being needed now. I can tend to go 'off message' and you're someone who doesn't mind pointing it out. :)

Below, a 'behind the scenes' shot of Doris. amused by something during filming:

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

All the writing you see on the blackboard, I heard was Doris on handwriting. The banner you have up now is neat, you can tell by the expression on Gable's face when the music changes and he doesn't know the dance. :lol: This is a movie that is not ever played that much here on TV. I had an old copy that I made a DVD from a long time ago, it was poor quality, so I ordered this movie last night. it is a keeper for sure. :wink:
This video showing the dance from Mamie Van Doren is a good scene. in the movie. Mamie made a statement that Doris was not that friendly to her while making this movie, that is kind of hard to believe, maybe Mamie was a little jealous of the small part she played in the movie.

Doris was sexy in this movie without even trying.

webmaster

Thanks Barbara.

This is the last TP banner image I did but didn't use:

So moving on and still in black and white mode:

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Oh what a beautiful banner and Doris in this photo lovely as an angel
``````````{\
````````{\{*\
````````{*\~\_______
```````{```\`<:<:<:>:>
``````{~`*`\((((((^^^)
`````{`*`~((((((( `•`•
````{`*`~`)))))))). _ ' )
````{*```*`((((((('\ ~
`````{~`*``*)))))`.`\
``````{.*~``*((((`\`\))_.•-.
````````{``~* ))) `\_.-'``
``````````{.__ ((`-*.*
````````````.*```~``*.
``````````.*.``*```~`*.
`````````.*````.````.`*.
````````.*``~`````*````*.
```````.*``````*`````~``*.
`````.*````~``````.`````*.
```.*```*```.``~```*``~ *.
..*``~```````````~`````*.
~~* ~~* ~~* ~~* ~~*.*
____,;'*
,,,,.;*
*.°
o
...°
....O
.......°o O ° O
.................°
.............. °
............. O
.............o....o°o
.................O....°
............o°°O.....o
...........O..........O
............° o o o O

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Re Teacher's Pet and Mamie Van Doren- I bought her book to see exactly what she was saying about Doris- have to remember Mamie was trying to sell a book when she wrote this in the mid/late 1980s- whether true or not, it is not the usual thing you hear about Doris so [for me] I'd take it with a pinch of salt, and even if it did happen, it is more likely down to the fact [as stated] Doris was filming and grieving for her brother who had recently died.

Mamie said DD was unfriendly to her and in the scene above could not produce the desired smile looking at her [Mamie] and they had to call in Mamie's stand in to get the desired smile from DD. Mamie also said DD and Marty did not attend the meet & greet party with Gable and all the cast- DD saying she wasn't invited.

Mamie did say she looked forward to working with DD and had like her songs and her films-particularly since Love me or leave me.

You would have thought they would have got on- Mamie at this time was married to a band leader with a young son.

However, regardless of the truth [or not] of Mamie's version of events- see DD's rebuttal in the 1989 bbc interview- I don't even like apple pie.

Also glad to see o n youtube someone asking Mamie years later [later from the book release in the 1980s] to talk about Doris and how she snubbed her- to her credit, Mamie refused saying "i no longer discuss that.."

webmaster

Thanks Ania. Like the angel - how do you do that?

And thanks for the Mamie Van Doren report-back, Jas. I came across a quote from Doris today, part of it said, "I’m not always smiling. Like anybody else, I have my moments”. Perhaps she was having one of her moments - or just didn't like her? Mamie was a bit of a sex bomb, by her own admission, I read about her having sex with Tony Curtis on the set and also with Rock Hudson, believe it or not. Doris may not have liked the vibe from her, or approved - women can probably sense these things from one another. And there's no law that says you have to like everyone. Which would be impossible not to break, as we know!

Barbara, sent me a colour version of the B&W banner so I'll interrupt the B&W mode for now.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Barbara is absolutely wonderful, ah beautifully♥ Love it♥
 ♥´•♥*♥•`*•.¸♥♥ ♥¸.•*      _,-´¯(
                 /░ ,-´¯¯¯(
            \/   /╱    ઋ  ϡ
          c", ). /░░░   -<´
           ╰-.░ϡ`-.░░ ઋ ՞ϡ
               ╰-.░ϡ`-.____(
                  ╲ )
♥♥¸.•*´•♥*♥•`*•.¸♥♥
Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Beautiful colorization, Barbara!
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

What do people think of 'Midnight Lace'?
This film was chosen by Ross Hunter, the producer of her hit comedy, “Pillow Talk.” Playing the role in the film had a great effect on her physically. As the expert she is, she tried to develop a mental image of the woman she was playing and the part became very real to her. She said,

“I became that woman to the best of my ability. To create the fear which the character I played had to project, I re-created the fear in myself which I had once felt in my own life. I relived it. It was painful and upsetting.” In one particular point in the emotional climax of the film, Doris has a very dramatic scene on a descending staircase. She says, “I wasn’t acting hysterical, I was hysterical, so at the end of the scene I collapsed in a real faint.” Production of the film had to be suspended for a few days.

Working with Rex Harrison was a great experience. She said Rex was a “darling, witty man…with a light sense of humor (that) helped keep my sanity balance throughout the rough part of the picture.”

She did love the marvelous wardrobe provided by Irene whom Doris describes as “one of my dearest friends” and “one of the most talented designers in Hollywood.” The film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Costume Design.
http://www.dorisday.net/midnight_lace.html

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I've said this before but ML is among the last of the big, glossy studio productions that succeeded on star power, plush set design and high-end fashion. I love what Ross Hunter brought to the movies - he wasn't a snob or someone who wanted to make social commentary or change the world. He respected Hollywood glamour and he knew that audiences craved quality escapist fare. He also understood the allure of true Hollywood legends like Doris Day, Lana Turner and Susan Hayward. I wish the Academy wasn't so snooty about the fashion / glam side of the business and would pay more attention to the Sydney Guilaroff's, Irene's, and Jean Louis', etc. whose contributions help make films like ML memorable.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree entirely Michael.

Lana Turner [in her 1981 /'82 book] credits Ross Hunter for saving her film career [and sanity] by employing her for Immitation of Life [1959] in the wake of the Stompanato killing by her daughter - that could have ended her career [1958]. Lana said that she marvelled how Ross brought such glamour to the screen and on the set [fresh roses daily] and still bring a film in- within a modest budget!

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Fantastic banner, simply revelation
___§_§§§§__§_§§§§§§
_____§§___§§___§____§
______§§§_§__§___§__§§
______§§§§____§§__§§§§§§
______§§§§§____§§_§__§_§_§
______§§§§§_____§§___§§__§§
______§§§§§_____§____§__§_§
______§§§§§_____§___§____§
______§§§§§§___§___§
_______§§§§§___§_§
_________§§§§§_§§
_$$$$$______§§§§
__$$$$$______###
___$$$$______##
____$$__#____#
_________#___#
_____$$$_#_#_#
____$$$$$__#_#
___$$$$$$___#________$$$
____$$$$____#_____#__$$$$
_____$$____#___#____$$$$$$
______$___#__#_______$$$$
_________#_#__________$$
_________##____________$
_________#

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

This banner is really special. The black and white photo of Doris and Rex captures the mystery and intrigue in Midnight Lace. It is reminiscent of the great mystery Laura with Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews.

Doris looks exceptionally beautiful and sophisticated.

This banner is one of my favorites.
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks Johnny - that's a compliment comparing it to Laura. :) Thanks Ania. And thanks Michael & Jas for your astute observations.

Here's another:

Do you think it would have been better in black and white?

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Another great Midnight Lace banner, like it very much!

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

lOVE THE MIDNIGHT banners.
knitting...
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day