Doris Day Forum Banners 2015

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2015

Unread post by ray »

Romance On the High Seas
Storm Warning
Young Man With A Horn
I'll See You In My Dreams
Calamity Jane

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Nice banner.
Lauren

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I just emerged from the Debbie Reynolds recovery program :roll: and read the comments from Bryan about the banners. I agree that changing the banner once a week is frequent enough. It gives us more time to appreciate them and comment. Bryan, you are a rock star in the way you manage all of your many projects.

My Top Five WB films -

Romance On The High Seas
My Dream Is Yours
Young Man With A Horn
Storm Warning
Calamity Jane

Cheers,
Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I love the sweetness on Doris' face on this banner. The colours blue and white seem to enhance this quality she exudes so easily.

This banner is one of my all-time favourites.
Johnny

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Bryan, it is always fun to see your new banners - they are all very creative and showcase The Girl Next Door...a timeless treasure for all of us. Thanks again to you, Puck and Barbara for your great work - it is a joy to see what's next and to enjoy the current ones. Thanks for ALL you do - we are all very grateful. It is certainly nice to have a forum where we DAY fans can comment and share stories, etc. Thank God for this outlet. Keep up the great work.
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

Good morning dearest///my very own thoughts also/....thank you MM

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Great banners Bryan !!!!!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Thank you all!

This is the banner for the next week. I was struck by an image that Ania posted so I've made it into a banner for the next section, Dramas (inspired by the image). Thank you, Ania.

So what do you think of Midnight Lace? How do you rate it?

Paul Brogan reviews it here: http://www.dorisday.net/midnight_lace.html

Paul thinks Doris should have gotten an Oscar for it, although he admits it's "slightly improbable (but very engrossing)". I think the acting, especially from Doris, was first class, but it was let down a little by the script - or plot. It's more of an old-fashioned melodrama, the kind Lana Turner used to make, but it's very entertaining and good fun. Did Doris take it too seriously (the on-set breakdown)? She had a habit of reliving bad experiences for dramatic effect - also known as 'the method'.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

This film was chosen by Ross Hunter, the producer of her hit comedy, “Pillow Talk.” Playing the role in the film had a great effect on her physically. As the expert she is, she tried to develop a mental image of the woman she was playing and the part became very real to her. She said:

“I became that woman to the best of my ability. To create the fear which the character I played had to project, I re-created the fear in myself which I had once felt in my own life. I relived it. It was painful and upsetting.” In one particular point in the emotional climax of the film, Doris has a very dramatic scene on a descending staircase. She says, “I wasn’t acting hysterical, I was hysterical, so at the end of the scene I collapsed in a real faint.” Production of the film had to be suspended for a few days.

Working with Rex Harrison was a great experience. She said Rex was a “darling, witty man…with a light sense of humor (that) helped keep my sanity balance throughout the rough part of the picture.”

She did love the marvelous wardrobe provided by Irene whom Doris describes as “one of my dearest friends” and “one of the most talented designers in Hollywood.” The film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Costume Design." - Derald Hendry
http://www.dorisday.net/midnight_lace.html

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Very nice banner. One can almost see Doris moving physically and certainly the photo is also persuasive in pulling the looker into the frightening scene.

Excellent choice.

Lauren

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Joan Crawford also thought Doris should've gotten an Oscar for "Midnight Lace." Besides DD's, I like Myrna Loy's and Roddy McDowell's performances . . . and, of course, love the wardrobe.

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Unread post by Tybear2015 »

Bryan,

Beautiful banner. I love this movie. Her awesome acting abilities allowed her to perform comedy, drama, and suspense with ease. She drew from her real life experiences and made the audience really believe in the character she portrayed. Doris is the best performer the entertainment world has ever known. Whatever she has been called upon to do, she has always risen to the occasion with class and dignity whether it was in her public or private life. She is resilient and tireless in all of her endeavors. She is the very best of the best.

Thank you Bryan for this forum that gives the people who love Doris a place to celebrate her and her many accomplishments.

Tybear

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

YES YES SHE IS///

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Fantastic Midnight Lace banner Bryan. Doris looks so soulful.

It has a certain film noir mood.

Thank you.
Johnny

webmaster

You're all so insightful and knowledgeable!

Lauren, appreciate your thoughts. Judy, I thought about Joan Crawford's comments while I was writing but glad you mentioned it, as always, I depend on you for your insight and factualness. 8) Tybear, your comments about Doris are spot on and beautifully written... meant to say more to everyone else but have to put the cat out and take the dog for a walk (joke, gone midnight in London!) :)

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Thank you Bryan! I can never say enough about my love and respect for our beautiful Doris. She is so awesome. She is so amazing! Just look at her at 91 years old and still so involved in the DDAF.
I dont know anyone 91, much less 91 and working. The world is very fortunate to have had the opportunity to have known her through her music and many films. Although i didnt have the pleasure of meeting Doris like many of my forum friends, i feel like my life has been blessed to have known her through her music and the movies i truly love. God really blessed us when He gave us Doris. There never has been, theres not now and there never will be another Doris Day.

Tybear

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Very nice writing, Tybear. I think you are in the best place for a Doris Day fan to meet other fans and enjoy learning about Doris and her talents.

Lauren

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Thank you Lauren. You are so right. I love this forum and i think the members are the best because we all have a common goal to talk about an incredible lady and learn all we can about her. I appreciate each member and what they bring to this forum whether it is a story, memory or the many beautiful pictures posted.

Thank you,
Tybear

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Tybear expresses what we probably all think, Bryan, about your efforts in making this forum such a great place to exchange DD-related info and photos. Sending thanks to you "across the pond."

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Another striking banner - amazing how people are still finding photos that we've never seen before.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Banner wonderful, beautiful just
♥☼♥☼ ♥ჱܓ❤✲❤ჱܓ♥☼♥☼ ♥

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Thanks, I've had to wait for someone so I thought I'd move on to next film drama, which is part of the Warner Years also, and some of you have rated it highly.

"After making a string of highly successful, light-hearted musicals at Warner Brothers, 25-year old Doris Day ventures into her first non-singing role, the dramatic "Storm Warning". The film is significant for several reasons, one, it is the only picture in which Doris Day dies, two, it dealt with a subject that was hard-hitting and raw, and three, Miss Day got the opportunity to work with her girlhood idol, the legendary Ginger Rogers and with the future President of the United States, Ronald Reagan."
- Ralph McKnight

Quick quiz: What's different between the image above and below? (it's not the height) Judy is not allowed to answer! :)

Below a couple of publicity shots with the stars of the film - great to look at but they don't seem to represent the darkness and mood of the film.

Puck

"The important novelty about this film is that you saw people of colour walking down the street! This is something rarely seen in most forties and fifties films. Their inclusion gave an extra feeling of authenticity to the film. The reviews were generally good to excellent." - Ralph McKnight

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great banner- they really could have been sisters [from the look].

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Awww. OK, I'll not answer! . . . but I will say that this banner is really nice, Bryan. In her autobiography, Ginger Rogers commented that Doris is "honest and straightforward." That's a good reputation for anyone to have, but especially in Hollywood. I like the film and am glad that those two women had a chance to work together. Just think what they could've done as co-stars in a comedy.

webmaster

They would have been good, wouldn't they?

You can answer tomorrow if no one else can - I know you know! :wink: