Doris Day Forum Banners 2015

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2015

Unread post by jmichael »

Love the BW banner from Storm Warning. They played so well together.

Seeing this reminds me of Doris' comment about the "goofy" dress she had to wear. She was right, but it fit the character, I suppose.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

I was reminded of Doris' comments about the Warner Bros' 'embalmers'.
Doris looks natural, but Ginger looks like she's had the embalmers around, with her ultra-white skin. :)

I'll carry these over so we know where we are:

Quick quiz: What's different between the image above and below? (it's not the height) Judy is not allowed to answer yet! :)

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Great banner for this movie Bryan, although it has never been one of my favorite movies of the WB years.
The only thing I can see different in the two pictures you posted is the first picture shows more of the picture, shows a little past the waist, the second one is just from the bust up of them.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Have a question for you: Is Doris is a vegetarian? How are called teacher, who he taught Doris sing? Could someone so something about it to write, because as far as I remember Alma did not have money for singing lessons for Doris? However, the teacher discovers that Doris has a huge talent and teaches it for free? How was it? We urgently need these explanations!

Ps: Banner with "Storm Warning" beautiful In my opinion Ronald Reagan as an actor was average, no but what of it when he was president.
Ps1:As usual, I apologize for my terrible English, but I hope that any of you will understand what I wrote... :wink:

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Thanks Ania (and Barbara - no that's not the right answer! :twisted: ).

Ania, no, Doris is not a vegetarian and the person who gave her singing lessons after she broke her leg was Grace Raine, whom Doris has often mentioned, see below or search for her:
On October 13, 1937, the car Day was riding in became involved in an accident with a train in Hamilton, Ohio... She was kept away from attending school and turned to the radio where the voice of Ella Fitzgerald helped inspire her to develop her singing voice. Her mother took her to Grace Raine, a local voice coach, where she took three lessons a week. Through contacts Raine had with local radio station WLW, Day appeared in a 1938 radio show without pay. A local band leader, Barney Rapp, heard her on the air and before long, she was appearing for $25 a week at his newly opened Cincinnati nightclub “The Sign of the Drum,” choosing her over 200 artists who had auditioned for him.

In 1939, Raine also encouraged her to audition for Bob Crosby’s orchestra and his “Bobcats” in Chicago at the Blackhawk Club where she remained for three months during that summer.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Doris_Day.aspx
Music quickly became Doris’ consuming passion. Her talent attracted voice coach Grace Raine, whose crucial instruction helped to crystallize for the young girl the distinctive vocal phrasing which was to become the essential aspect of her subsequent singing career. Doris later said, “Grace Raine really taught me virtually everything I ever learned about singing.”

Raine arranged for Doris to appear on “Carlin’s Carnival,“ an amateur showcase on the Cincinnati radio station WLW. She sang the standard “Day After Day, ” written in 1932 by Howard Dietz and Arthur Schwartz. Her performance won for her a regular performing segment with the station.
http://www.spclarke.com/?page_id=150

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Well the other thing that I didn't bother to mention was the top photo has the Doris Day Forum on it, and the bottom photo doesn't. :?

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Bryan-
Quick quiz: What's different between the image above and below? (it's not the height) Judy is not allowed to answer yet!
These are two images that made the banner. Photos are glued together? The two images combined into one image?

Brayan Thank you for the links and the answer, I think my English is not so bad, because you understand what I wrote. :wink:

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bryan,

In the second picture Doris' face seems to be lit as well as Ginger's. In the first picture, Doris' face appears a shade darker. Could this be the difference?
Johnny

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Precisely I could not remember how it was with the singing teacher and how this teacher was name. A lot of people think that if Doris helps the animals, it is vegetarian. That would be logical.
Do you think that Doris knows about this forum, that someone reads her our posts? I know that what I am writing here now, it is very silly, but I would love to think that Doris knows I exist. Please only will you not laugh at me :wink:

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Ania~
Yes, you English is fabulous. Do you think we Americans could speak a word of Polish? HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

And I love that photo with Doris winking!!!! Fabulous!!! And, yes, Doris does know about this forum from years and years ago. I don't think she has seen it but she knows about it.

Lauren

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Terrific banner!! Dor and The Ging. They could almost be sisters!

Lauren

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Lauren Benjamin wrote:Terrific banner!! Dor and The Ging. They could almost be sisters!

Lauren
You know Lauren English is an international language, Polish is not, as we know :D
Greetings from Poland (In Polish: Pozdrowienia z Polski) :wink:

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Unread post by Tybear2015 »

I love this movie and i love this banner, Bryan. I really like the fact that Doris had the opportunity to star in a film with Ginger Rogers because Doris idolized her. I also like this film because it is a dramatic role for Doris. Doris's character Lucy was so naive and wasnt aware of her husbands involvement with the kkk or his life of crime. Doris is amazing of course and the cast was awesome.

Thank you Bryan!

Tybear

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Ania,
No one is laughing at you. I commend you on how well you speak the english language. Not only that you speak the language of Doris very well and that is the most important thing on this forum. I can tell you have a very kind heart. I know english is a language spoken internationally, but i agree with Lauren, i doubt véry seriously that there is anyone i know that can speak polish. You always post great animated pictures. I am sure that Doris would love what you do on this forum to help us celebrate Doris snd all of her accomplishments.

Thank you very much,
Tybear

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Ania~
Tybear is correct (we are sisters from another mother). I was born in 1945 (end of WWII), so whenever I hear or read the word "Poland," I think of WWII. Although I didn't know what was going on in 1945, I found out much later how the people in Poland suffered, as I think that the Germans picked on them at the beginning of the war. Back in the war days, the people in the U.S. respected the Polish people because of how badly they were treated but how strong they were.

Lauren

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Lauren Benjamin wrote:Ania~
Tybear is correct (we are sisters from another mother). I was born in 1945 (end of WWII), so whenever I hear or read the word "Poland," I think of WWII. Although I didn't know what was going on in 1945, I found out much later how the people in Poland suffered, as I think that the Germans picked on them at the beginning of the war. Back in the war days, the people in the U.S. respected the Polish people because of how badly they were treated but how strong they were.

Lauren
The war was terrible, terror, deportations to concentration camps, to work in Germany, the daily killings of civilians. terrible times...

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

webmaster

Here are the two images close together, can you see the difference now? Should be obvious!

Ania, ​Doris has looked at the forum in the past. I had a message from her ​some years ago ​when Obama became President​ ​​(via her publicist Linda Dozoretz, who died in 2010,​ some of you will remember​ her:​
http://variety.com/2010/film/news/publi ... 18027223/​.

I'd made a banner of Doris and Obama ​together ​when he was elected and I was asked nicely if I could remove it as Doris wasn't political! :wink: I'd forgotten that she was a Republican (she used to be a Democrat, perhaps her good friend Ronald Reagan influenced her?) and didn't want to seem to endorse Obama and apparently a few of her friends had asked her about it! I removed it and apologised and I was thanked and told 'no problem' by Linda, who was always very nice and helpful.

But I think Doris probably has to conserve her energy these days so I doubt if the forum is on her list of things to see. :(

webmaster

I imagine Doris became a fan of Ginger watching films like "Shall We Dance" (1937) above.
"They All Laughed" sung by Ginger as part of a song and dance routine with Fred Astaire. 8)

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

webmaster wrote:Here are the two images close together, can you see the difference now? Should be obvious!

I wrote a couple of posts earlier:
These are two images that made the banner. Photos are glued together? The two images combined into one image?
Two images have connected with each other..

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

webmaster

In the second image, I moved Doris and Ginger closer together by shortening the distance between them. That's all! Is that what you meant?

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

webmaster wrote:In the second image, I moved Doris and Ginger closer together by shortening the distance between them. That's all! Is that what you meant?
Probably not.. I thought you two pictures from the movie, one photo was Doris, and the second picture was Ginger and you with these two images you've done one photograph...

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

webmaster

Yes, I thought that was what you meant but it's only one picture. Thanks for trying. Judy, did you spot it? I thought you would as you did when I did something like that before.

webmaster

Moving on to the next 'drama' - as you can see, Doris and Louis Jourdan in a discussion about the next scene in "Julie", while husband Martin Melcher, producer, looks on.

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Thank you, Bryan. I love this film and i love this banner. Doris was phenomenol in the character roll as Julie. Once again she showed her fans that she had a flair for the dramatic. Doris looks absolutely gorgeous as always. One other thing that strikes me about Doris, she really is so professional on and off the screen. She really has a way with people.

The entertainment world is definitely better because of Doris Day.

Tybear

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

I would like to have seen this banner with some color....you know....the stuff that's not black and white. The reason is because of the gorgeous ocean in the background. But probably there is nothing with any color in it since the film was black and white. I don't agree with the black and white being needed just because it was a drama. Doris and Louis could have carried it through even in color, as those of us who have been to Carmel could attest to.

Lauren