Doris Day 2015 Quiz

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day 2015 Quiz

Unread post by Musiclover »

How about a taxi in "It's a Great Feeling" and a car in "Move Over, Darling" (the latter in the car wash scene)?

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

Both are correct Musiclover; great going. I was surprised that the taxi cab driving had not been mentioned earlier since it involved those rolling eyes and quivering lips, which some fans did not like, but which I found to be utterly funny. I'll review all the answers and see if all answers are now in.
And Renie, you are correct about the station wagon vehicle in It Happened to Jane. As to the locomotion,
Bryan was probably thinking about the train, but Doris did not steer the locomotive.
Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Yes,I meant the train that I thought she and Jack Lemmon were driving.

(I thought a train was a locomotion? Or the front part anyway.)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

To some degree or another all answers (and more I had forgotten) are now in. To be more precise Doris drove a station wagon and a camper truck in Eggroll. Some of you had good bunches of answers, and it was difficult to pick a winner. However, the surprising answer concerning the elevators in Midnight Lace and Teacher's Pet led me to declare Jas l as the winner of this particular quiz. So Jas l please entertain us this coming Sunday with another quiz. The fun part of these quizzes is that we remember Doris's films and in the process enjoy them once more in our own minds. Whenever my turns comes up I have at least three ideas for quiz questions, and some of them are elaborate. In the meantime,
Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

webmaster wrote:Yes,I meant the train that I thought she and Jack Lemmon were driving.

(I thought a train was a locomotion? Or the front part anyway.)
Bryan:

I think this may be a matter of English in the UK vs. English in the US. On our part, the front end of a train would usually be called the engine or sometimes a locomotive.

For what it's worth, I have visited the UK twice and had difficulty with the language both times. Once I was looking for the nearest subway station and the person I asked was stumped. Somehow, in talking, we both finally realized that you all call it the tube or the underground.

Renie

webmaster

He-he! :lol:

Thanks Renie!

Congratulations Jas!

(We was robbed, Renie! - elevators! :evil: :D )

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks Texas, while I am thinking, please - anyone else feel free to start another quiz.

webmaster

We'll wait for you, Jas! :D

An idea though - what about a 6 degrees of separation question - Doris to....

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Wanted to join the DD Quiz ....this is probably easy for most, but thought I would ask:
What year and why did Doris have a gate put up at her home on Crescent Drive in Beverly Hills? Her's is one of the very few to have a gate on Crescent Drive.

Will work on some others for later...
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

It was because of the Mason issue, I think, because the house that the Mason Gang broke into (for Mason) had, at one time, belonged to Terry. Mason apparently didn't know that Terry wasn't there. Mason was angry with Terry due to the fact that Mason considered himself a song writer and wanted Terry to listen to his music. I think that Terry did, at the behest of a friend of his who knew Mason, but Terry didn't think he had talent. Little did Terry know that Mason was a maniac/sociopathic killer. Those are just a few of his titles.

Back in those days the black gates looked a bit strange in front of such a lovely home. But I'm sure it makes a lot of sense these days.
dorconnie.jpg
Above is Doris talking between gate to a fan by the name of Connie. I didn't know her personally, but some how she sent me photos of her with Doris. I have other photos of this day, which I will upload later. These photos were taken in 1980 shortly before Doris moved to Carmel. - Lauren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Right on! It was in 1969. It was a nightmare for all...
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

webmaster

There's a news item I posted about this recently:

New series about Charles Manson references Terry & Doris - isn't it time to forget him?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4457#p53415

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Maybe it's a good idea to forget Charles Manson, but there are fans who perhaps haven't seen the gate that Doris felt she had to install because of him. Sorry that I didn't read the article. Need to catch up on things around here. Have been gone for a year.

Anyway, there are two photos from that day that you might enjoy and then we can forget Manson.

Photo below is a copy of the autographed photo to Connie.
dorauto.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Photo on same day as above is Doris with long-time houseman, Sydney, who is from Britain. He is holding a bird cage with bird in it that was given to Doris by a fan for her birthday.... *not* Connie!
dorbird.jpg

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

lovely pictures!
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Musiclover
Special Contributer

We in southern California would love to forget Manson (it's Manson, not Mason), but we keep getting reminded of him every two or three years when he comes up for parole and makes the news again.

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

Jas1 wrote:Thanks Texas, while I am thinking, please - anyone else feel free to start another quiz.
Who said this? " I’ll remember this to my grave…. We all walked into a room to see the screen tests. The first screen test was XXXXXXX. Then came XXXXXXX. Then on the screen came Doris Day. I can only tell you, the screen just exploded. There was absolutely no question, a great star was born, and the rest is history.”

Renie

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

I believe it was Sammy Cahn.

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

Tex:

You are so right. I really thought this might stump people. Oh how little I know about my fellow Dyed in the Wool Doris Day Fans.

What I believe is so lovely about what Sammy Cahn said is that he recognized Doris' wealth of talent at such an early point in time.

Renie

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Let's keep the ball rolling and start a new quiz. Hope that is all right with everybody. This quiz will begin today (Sunday) and end this coming Saturday. In most of her films Doris is portrayed as a single woman with no mention of her parents, but in 11 of her films both parents are present, or a mother or a father is present, or a parent is mentioned as part of the script. Name each film and identify the parentage in each film. This is strictly confined to parents, no in laws or aunts or uncles. Put on your thinking cap on and see if you can match or surpass my recollections.

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

Both parents are portrayed in the film: On Moonlight Bay; The Winning Team; I'll See You in My Dreams; By the Light of the Silvery Moon; and Young at Heart.

One parent portrayed: Lullaby of Broadway, mother; The Pajama Game, father; Please Don't Eat the Daisies, mother; Jumbo, father; and Glass Bottom Boat, father.

Parent mentioned: Teacher's Pet, father; and Man Who Knew Too Much, mother.

Renie

Musiclover
Special Contributer

My reply must be floating around in cyberspace, 'cuz it's not here. Oh, well. I agree with all of Renie's list, with one exception (only the father was present in "Young at Heart;" Ethel Barrymore's character was an aunt) and I would add two films: Father is mentioned in "It Happened to Jane" and mother is mentioned in "Pillow Talk."

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Between Renie and Musiclover, most of the answers are now posted. Musiclover surprised me with the mention of a mother in Pillow Talk and a father in It Happened to Jane. Also Musiclover picked up on the Barrymore character being an aunt. But there is another father not covered by either Renie or Musiclover. No hints yet. Whoever gets it will be this week's winner.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

My guess would be that a father may have been mentioned in "Caprice," a film I saw only once and quite awhile ago. Did the plot have something to do with DD trying to avenge her father's murder?

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

I have a copy of Caprice but haven't watched it for a while. However, on reading what you just wrote Judy, I believe you have remembered correctly.

Meanwhile, I'm sure there's yet another father one and I'm looking for it now.

Renie