Doris' birthday 3 April 2015

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Doris' birthday 3 April 2015

Unread post by webmaster »

Photo: Mary Anne

Hey, it's almost time for another Doris birthday! That seems to have come around quite quickly.

Any plans? I know of a couple of people going to Carmel - that's about it at the moment.
Please share any news or plans you have.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Ania
Honorary Member

Re: Doris' birthday 3 April 2015

Unread post by Ania »

I I'll prepare for the Easter holidays, which are April 5. I'll listen to the songs of our beloved Doris and watch a few videos. A glass of wine for the health of Doris. I will certainly listen to a lot of her songs.
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

My partner and I will be going to Carmel next week. I'll send you a few pics to post on the forum.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Thanks Michael. Look forward to sharing them.

Anyone else going? Might be a quite one this year after the big one last April. Wonder if Doris will come out again this year - she really seemed to enjoy herself last year. She'll be having an Easter birthday this year as April 3 is Good Friday.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I really hope the joy she had last year encourages DD to attend this year again, i think [like most things] it will just depend on how she is feeling on the day- let's hope...

webmaster

Some of you who subscribe to Google Alerts will have seen this but I think it's worth keeping and fits into this section as we begin to celebrate another year in the life of Doris - this article gives us an insight into how it all began in Cincinnati all those years ago.
Back in the day, singer (Doris Day) lived in Price Hill

By Diane Clark*

Those of us of a certain age, have vivid memories of Doris Mary Ann Von Kappelhoff as both a movie star and a very popular singer.

Of course, we knew her best as Doris Day. Born April 3, 1924, Doris was just 8 when her father was involved in a scandalous affair that ended in a difficult divorce. When she was 12 she broke her leg in a car accident and faced a lengthy recuperation period. Her dreams of becoming a dancer were dashed.

At age 14 she and her mom moved above her Uncle Charlie’s place, Welz Tavern at 3113 Warsaw Ave.

Doris began waiting tables in the tavern, entertaining the customers by singing along with the jukebox and with that, a new dream was born. In “Price Hill Saloons,” Larry Schmolt reminisces about Doris waiting on him and his friends at the Welz Tavern. Her aunt’s homemade barbecue sandwiches cost fifteen cents and were the best around.

Her first professional singing job was on “Carlin’s Carnival” on WLW radio. She also sang in a local restaurant, Charlie Yee’s Shanghai Inn.

According to Julie Hotchkiss in the West Side Examiner, Doris was singing with local big bands by age 15. As a vocalist with Barney Rapp’s Band, she met, fell in love with and married Al Jorden, the band trombonist, who also lived in Price Hill.

When the couple moved to New York, Doris stopped singing and stayed home to raise their son, Terry. They moved back to Purcell Avenue in Price Hill, but Al’s abusive temper destroyed the relationship and the marriage.

It was 1943, Doris was 19, married with a baby, and newly divorced. She rented a place just across from her uncle’s tavern on Warsaw Avenue and her mother and brother moved in to help care for Terry. Doris got a job as a radio singer at WLW, but soon made a strategic move to Chicago, where her singing career really took off.

Her second marriage was to saxophonist, George Weider. By 1948, George’s extreme jealousy caused Doris to file for divorce and plan a move back to Price Hill. At the last minute, however, she was asked to try out for a part in “Romance on the High Seas.” She got that part and went on to make nearly 40 movies in the 1950s and 1960s.

David Bret in MailOnline tells of her relationship with third husband, Marty Melcher. Marty adopted Terry, but was abusive to him and severely controlling of Doris, funneling much of her money into his own accounts. Upon his death in 1968 she was deeply in debt and barely able to function without him. Though she was known for her rosy disposition and her “girl next door” looks, she seemed to have a knack for choosing abusive men. Sadly, her life was very different from her public image.

Doris Mary Ann Von Kappelhoff never returned to Price Hill and now lives in Carmel Valley, California.

*Diane Clark grew up in Price Hill and lives there now. Her company, Fairy Dust Ltd Inc., is on Warsaw Avenue in Price Hill. She is a longtime member of the Price Hill Historical Society.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/lo ... /24862015/

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Interesting piece, and it's nice to see that she's still being acknowledged by her hometown. Some observations: By saying, "When the couple moved to New York . . ." the writer seems to imply that DD and Jorden married while they were still living in Ohio. In fact, they were married in New York and subsequently moved back to Ohio, but not until after Terry's birth. Also, Doris didn't actually move to Chicago; she just sang there -- not only in her initial performances with the Crosby band from early May 1940 until they went on the road late that month, but also with the Brown band in March 1941 and again later. Her career really didn't "take off" until after she rejoined Brown in the spring of 1943. (For those interested in the Crosby band, John Chilton's book "Stomp Off, Let's Go" is a pretty good resource.)

webmaster

Doris Day Shares Her Big Plans for the Coming Year — and Beyond!

The star, however, is not very keen on making a big deal of her big day. “I’ve never been a fan of celebrating my birthday,” she confides to 'Closer.' “The best thing is looking back at all the great memories, people and animals I’ve had the chance to befriend and experience through all these years.”
http://www.closerweekly.com/posts/doris ... yond-54849

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

My new clip for Doris on birthday.

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Just over a decade ago, columnist Doug Gamble wrote a birthday tribute to Doris. I saved the clipping and found it the other day as I was doing some spring cleaning. It was such a nice piece. Hope you enjoy this abridged version:

“An American icon is set to celebrate a landmark birthday. Doris Day turns 80 on Saturday. One of the country’s leading animal rescue champions, Ms. Day is probably little-known to most born after 1970, but to those of us a little older she represents an America that was simpler, kinder, and classier. Many believe, as I do, that Ms. Day was underrated as a singer even while turning out a string of pop hits. Often overlooked in [her] film career was just how accomplished a dramatic actress she was. And while many . . . ridiculed her as the eternal virgin, I admired her for portraying savvy, independent women too discriminating to be bedded by any guy long on libido but short on commitment.

“Through an often tumultuous life that included physical abuse . . . and financial setbacks that might sink lesser spirits, Ms. Day fits the true definition of a survivor. [She] is an American treasure who deserves to be honored with a long-overdue special Academy Award for her body of work. And at a time when U.S. culture is defined by the lewd and crude, she looks better all the time.”

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

You are my salvation, thank you.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

^ ^Just wonderful, Puck!

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

wonderfully Michael

ImageImageImage
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great creations all - lovely that Doris's birthday falls on Good Friday this year, wishing her a fabulous, healthy, happy, year ahead and many more .

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Ania

Ps: Have a great birthday celebration Doris :D ღ ♥ ღ
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Fabulous creations as always - hope you all have a wonderful special Good Friday on Doris' special day- especially those in Carmel - keep us posted re- all the fun...

webmaster

Current photos of Carmel from Michael Hadley:

Seaburst

Carmel Beach

Large Cypress Tree on Carmel Beach

Wanna go fishing?

Home on Scenic Drive, Overlooking Carmel Beach

Carmel Beach

Camel Point Lagoon

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Gorgeous photos!

webmaster

Happy Birthday, Doris Day! - from Cincinnati.com
Cincinnati is not known as a hot spot in the media and entertainment industry. Yet a startling amount of talent has emerged from the Queen City, with legends like Roy Rogers, Steven Spielberg, Bootsy Collins and the Clooney family to more modern acts in Katt Williams, Woody Harrelson and Sarah Jessica Parker.

While all gifted in their own rights, perhaps no star was as bright as Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff.

Or, as you might know her, Doris Day.

More: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/20 ... /70836724/

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Doris made her birthday balcony appearance and even sang a little. Wore Yellow and a hat!! Photos on Facebook!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Doris sang part of a Mills Brothers song and Que Sera with the crowd at the balcony!!! Great Day!!! She cried and asked if anyone on the balcony had a tissue. She enjoyed herself and sounded like an angel!

The Mills Brothers song Doris sang part of was How'm I Doin, Hey Hey. Because Barbara asked how ya doing and Doris sang back with this song.

webmaster

Thanks for that info, Ray - what's the Facebook link to the balcony photos?

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Go to my facebook page. Great photo of Doris in Yellow hat. She looks better than ever!!!! She looks forward to next year to see everyone again:)

webmaster

Craig Marqui,s near Carmel, CA, USA· "I got to see Doris Day! She came out on the balcony of her home and talked to us, even sang a bit for us! So happy!"