News, Events and Comment

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: News, Events and Comment

Unread post by webmaster »

Fair enough!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Motown the Musical is back touring, Berry Gordys plush story of the Motown years. Includes music about Diana Ross, Michael Jackson and all that's Motown. And even Doris Day. Berry is an obsessed DD fan and wrote a song for her in the fifties that never reached her but he presented the song to her in 1993 in Carmel. They both cried at the meeting. Doris reaches out in so many directions and what a following she has. Berry Liked Young Man With A Horn and I'll See You In My Dreams very much.

webmaster

Thanks Ray, that was interesting. Imagine Doris doing a Motown cover! What would you suggest? I think she had the talent and versatility, as shown from the variety of songs she recorded. How about: :)

“My Guy” — Mary Wells (1964)
“The Tears of a Clown” — Smokey Robinson & The Miracles (1967)
(After 'JUMBO' it would be a sinch!)
"I Just Called to Say I Love You" - Stevie Wonder (1984)

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Doris would sound great with I Hear A Symphony and Strangers In Paradise.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Also would have liked to hear Doris sing, Home, from the WIZ and I'll be There. The Michael Jackson hit.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

The IndependentWednesday 08 July 2015
Andy McSmith's Diary: James Naughtie, the master of the never-ending question

As clear as Day...
Doris Day is older than the United Kingdom – so it was alleged by Angus MacNeil, MP for Na h-Eileanan an Iar (known to the English as the Western Isles), in a debate on the Scotland Bill. This is an interesting but contentious piece of trivia.

MacNeil bases his claim on the premise that the UK has existed in its present boundaries since the secession of the Irish Free State on 6 December 1922. He also assumes that Doris Day lied about her age. Last year, the reclusive star made a rare appearance on her balcony to wave to adoring fans who remembered her as one of the greatest box-office draws of the 1950s, and had gathered to mark her 90th birthday.

She has always claimed that she was born in April 1924, but there is scholarly evidence that she was in fact born in Cincinnati in April 1922. If so, it can be argued that she really is eight months older than the United Kingdom.

webmaster

A “Rock” For The Ages!
By Paul E. Brogan, Sr. Contributor - Highlight Hollywood News
Not a single person who stood with the scores of reporters and photographers on that warm July day in 1985, realized that they were about to be witness to a defining moment in history.

Most were there to record a different kind of historic moment – a reunion between one of the screen’s best loved romantic teams, Doris Day and Rock Hudson. Doris Day was about to undertake her first professional gig in ten years, since starring on a CBS musical special, “Doris Day Today” in 1975. This time she’d be hosting a half hour weekly program centered around her renowned love for animals. “Doris Day’s Best Friends”, the planned cable show would also feature some of Miss Day’s friends and co-stars and Rock Hudson certainly qualified on both counts.
READ MORE: http://highlighthollywood.com/2015/07/a ... wood-news/

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

A scriptwriter couldn't have come up with this experience from thirty years ago. The pain Doris, Rock and Paul went through at that press conference is hard to imagine. Doris decides to make a comeback and all these events came in play. She has been through so much grief in her life and somehow she finds strength. She is remarkable. I still can't find the good that came from all this only that Love brought them all together that day.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Very nice piece from Paul . . . and hard to believe it's been 30 years.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks Paul, I really enjoyed reading that.

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

I came across this article that was in the Cincinnati newspaper on Doris's birthday this year. Most of the pictures in it were familiar to me but there are two of places in Cincy that I'd never seen before. At any rate, I thought it might be of interest. Link is http://www.cincinnati.com/search/Doris%20Day/

Renie

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

I saw the same thing and I thought they were wrong on some of their reports on Doris' history and where she sang, etc. Maybe people on this forum could read it and see what they think.

Lauren

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Doris updated her message and Photo from this April! www.dorisday.com so glad to hear her sound so good!! Makes my Day!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Look forward to hearing the message later [when home] - also - am so glad Doris has updated and used this photo from her last birthday - i think she looks absolutely fabulous- and prefer to see her blonde again- what a beautiful lady!

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

It's not on my nerves, I cry with emotion thank you :D

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Such a beautiful new message! :D
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Doris' message is so refreshing and filled with charm. She always sounds so surprised at how much people love her. Don't you love her warm laugh?
Johnny

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Doris and Debbie Reynolds are being considered for an Honorary Oscar. Results on Tuesday!

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

To clarify, the 50 member Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will make decisions tomorrow (Tuesday) as to who they will bestow Honorary Academy Awards and, should they decide to award it this year, the Jean Hersholt Award.

Miss Day has been twice offered this honor, declining both times including the second time when the Academy agreed to bring the award to her for a filmed acceptance.

Tomorrow they will be considering recipients from a lengthy list of names that have been suggested by voting members of the Academy. They will discuss the merits of each nominee and then vote on those who will receive the awards.

They do not solicit selections from the general public because dues paying members feel that the awarding of the Academy's most prestigious honor should be selected members and then voted on by the Board of Governors.

Individuals such as Director Norman Jewison have lobbied for Miss Day to receive the award in the past.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

The Academy never reveals the names of those they are considering for an Honorary Academy Award so there is no way of telling whether Miss Day is being considered again. On-line polling is just that - polls devised with lists of possible names being considered but are not associated with the Academy nor are they privy to any information the Academy may be considering. Thus, Maureen O' Hara was flabbergasted when it was announced last year that she would be given an Honorary Academy Award. The Academy values the discretion they have successfully maintained in making such decisions noting that they are not the People's Choice Awards.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

FYI - Here is the current list of Board of Governors and the category they fall into. Interestingly Ed Begley, Jr. is on the Board and guest starred on Miss Day's CBS sitcom and has spoken warmly of her. Annette Bening and her husband Warren Beatty are also big Doris Day fans and, of course, as well reported in 1976, prior to his marriage to Miss Bening, Mr. Beatty aggressively pursued Miss Day.

Michael Apted - Documentary
John Bailey - Cinematographers
Craig Barron - Visual Effects
Ed Begley, Jr. - Actors
Curt Behlmer - Sound
Annette Bening - Actors
Kathryn Bigelow - Directors
Jim Bissell - Designers
Kathryn Blondell - Makeup Artists and Hairstylists
Jon Bloom - Short Films and Feature Animation
Cheryl Boone Isaacs - Public Relations
Rick Carter - Designers
Lisa Cholodenko - Directors
Bill Condon - Writers
Dick Cook - Executives
Bill Corso -Makeup Artists and Hairstylists
Richard Crudo - Cinematographers
Richard Edlund - Visual Effects
Leonard Engelman - Makeup Artists and Hairstylists
Rob Epstein = Documentary
Charles Fox - Music
Rob Friedman - Public Relations
Alex Gibney - Documentary
Mark Goldblatt - Film Editors
Don Hall - Sound
Arthur Hamilton - Music
Tom Hanks - Actors
Gale Anne Hurd - Producers
Mark Johnson - Producers
Kathleen Kennedy - Producers
Lora Kennedy - Casting Directors
Lynzee Klingman - Film Editors
John Knoll - Visual Effects
Bill Kroyer - Short Films and Feature Animation
Jeffrey Kurland - Costume Designers
John Lasseter - Short Films and Feature Animation
Judianna Makovsky - Costume Designers
Michael Mann - Directors
Scott Millan - Sound
Deborah Nadoolman - Costume Designers
David Newman - Music
Amy Pascal - Executives
Jan Pascale - Designers
Robert Rehme - Executives
Phil Alden Robinson - Writers
David Rubin - Casting Directors
Dante Spinotti - Cinematographers
Robin Swicord - Writers
Bernard Telsey - Casting Directors
Michael Tronick - Film Editors
Nancy Utley - Public Relations

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks Paul for the clarification and great information - as always.

On the poll i saw [and voted on] Doris was ahead by miles at over 62% with Debbie Reynolds nearest to her on 11/12 %.

We can dream - can't we? I wish they would offer Doris the Jean Hersholt huminiarian Award for her animal activism - somehow i think that would be much better received - although both are surely deserving to our angel in Carmel.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Had the People's Choice Awards been around prior to 1975 when they started, I have NO DOUBT that Miss Day would have won each year in numerous categories. The public as well as the Hollywood Foreign Press was always very appreciative of her talents which is why Family Weekly Readers in 1972, four years after the release of her last film, unanimously voted her their "Favorite Female Movie Star".

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes, that's some going isn't it Paul - and i believe in 1977 or thereabouts, in some poll, Doris was placed only behind Barbara Streisand in a public vote for fav actress- with Streisand being the current [at that time] queen of the cinema.

I appreciate entirely the Acadamy is not a People's Choice award however, some regard should surely be given to the talents of Doris Day and her enduring popularity - i really cannot think of any other star from that era who generates the same kind of interest today - [apart from the ones who died young, e.g. James Dean and Marilyn Monroe].

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Ultimately the Academy is a version of the "good old boy's club" and they like the members to play the game. Some overplay it, however, which Berry Gordy learned when he tried to woe members in order to get Diana Ross an Oscar for "Lady Sings the Blues" and her well-deserved performance lost. A similar situation happened in 1973 when Barbra Streisand was nominated for "The Way We Were". The Academy was irritated at her and awarded the Oscar to Glenda Jackson for a little seen, innocuous comedy entitled, "A Touch of Class". Doris Day always lived her life in Los Angeles as though she were living in a small town. She biked, walked, avoided gaudy parties and movie openings unless forced to go. She also lived a quiet life, saving her energy for films and recordings and her work. She was never involved in the day to day gossip or following film grosses or showing up at what were perceived to be the right places. It kept her sane and rooted in reality. Some members of the Academy, however, resented that peace of mind and attitude. They also resented the fact that with the exception of performing "It's Magic" at the 1949 ceremony honoring 1948 films, she refused to perform on the program despite 5 more songs she introduced being nominated for Best Song in the following years. She also chose to attend a Laker's home game in 1965 after being invited to the Oscars. It's petty and foolish but Doris Day never played "the game". I think that's why it bothers her little if at all that she was never honored. The love of filmgoers who appreciated her work and those who continue to appreciate her work as both an actress and singer, has much more value. The Academy did offer the award twice, just as the Kennedy Center did. They have the right to require the presence of the recipient for the highest honor they can give. They feel, and I do understand it, that it sends a signal to all members of all ages, that the award has importance to the person receiving it. Even Deborah Kerr, suffering from Parkinsons, came to receive hers and Mary Pickford and Myrna Loy, both ill and infirmed, allowed their acceptance to be filmed. I also understand why Miss Day doesn't especially care. Like Katharine Hepburn, she finds awards to be somewhat superficial and often given for reasons that have nothing to do with the recipient. I understand why the fans want this for her and its genuinely moving and would be the icing on the cake. However, she has the unconditional love of so many and through the years has been finally recognized as the diverse, enormously skilled talent that she is.