News, Events and Comment

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: News, Events and Comment

Unread post by ray »

News report that they found out what happened to Jimmy Hoffa, the teamster leader. Supposedly he was involved with a loan for a big Hotel Marty had invested in the sixties. Doris disliked the hotel and was even linked with Me Hoffa by the press. Doris said she didn't remember even meeting him. When I first met Doris in 1987 she came across to me as sassy and a toughness too her, even though she looked soft and lovely and chic in a white pants suit. If she ever dared to play a moll during her movie days she could have pulled it off. And that is a compliment. Another book wrote Doris was all thats cheerful but if you see her eyes they are desolate in her movies. Maybe the contradictons are what makes Doris a powerful force in films,

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

I saw a video when Doris was walking into the 1987 convention in Carmel with Michael Doyle. She said I don't even know these people. Surely Doris was in that situation many times before during her band singing, movie and TV days.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Anyone keeping track on up to date reports of the terrible fires near Carmel Valley? If Doris had to evacuate where would she go?

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Ray, I'm keeping track of the fire because it started 10 days ago a few miles from where I live. The smell of smoke has been heavy here, and ashes are drifting onto patio furniture -- especially when it's windy. Doris is not in harm's way, as the fire is moving to the southeast and away from her home. If she had had to evacuate, however, she could easily have gone to Cypress Inn; the village of Carmel-by-the-Sea is not threatened.

Carmel Valley covers a tremendous lot of territory. As of an hour ago, residents 30 miles southeast of Doris's location are now being evacuated. Two evacuation centers that take both people and animals are set up -- one about a mile east of her and the other a couple of miles west of her, both at schools. So far 350 people have had to leave their homes. Community spirit here is very strong, and many people whose homes are used as vacation rentals have offered those homes free of charge to evacuees. The SPCA is doing its usual fine job of taking in displaced pets. As of Friday, they had taken care of about 100 animals.

The statistics for this fire are staggering: It has destroyed more than 64 square miles of brush and forest, as well as 57 homes. To prevent looting, authorities have wisely declined to identify the exact locations of those homes. Fortunately no homeowners have lost their lives; the only fatality has been a young bulldozer operator, who was killed last week when his vehicle tipped over on a steep hill. He was one of 5200 fire-fighting personnel on the scene, who are using 72 bulldozers, 16 helicopters, 6 DC-10 water tankers, and 496 fire engines.

It will be several more weeks before the fire is out, as much of the area has not burned for decades and the vegetation is very dry because of the drought. Added to that, the terrain is comprised of little canyons that make access difficult. Needless to say, residents here are extremely grateful to the firefighters, who still have a long battle ahead of them.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Musiclover or the fire update. I wish you and everyone in your community safety and peace. It it a blessing to know Doris and her neighborhood is safe.
Johnny

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Thank you Musiclover and glad you are ok and Doris. What a year already with disturbing events.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Thanks, Johnny and Ray. All of us here very much appreciate the concern and prayers of others.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

August is TCM Summer under the stars with a Star a day. Well where is Doris's Day?? I am surprised at TCM overlooking this. And that other Doris Day is popping up on facebook again. Says she was 17 in 1941 and made a movie, Where did this other DD come from and why?

Musiclover
Special Contributer

There was an actress by the same name who appeared in a handful of B movies before the Doris we love and admire came to Hollywood. One of the films (Federal Fugitive) was released in 1941 and in another she co-starred with Roy Rogers. That Doris passed away about 20 years ago, though, so she couldn't be on Facebook ...unless the departed are floating around in cyperspace!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Scareing up facebook!!! It was not from her but a trailer for a 1941 movie she was in.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Scareing up facebook!!! It was not from her but a trailer for a 1941 movie she was in. Why wasn't she mentioned years ago when she roamed the earth :?:

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Extra Extra! Doris on the cover of Closer mag again. Story about her beloved Rock Hudson. Nice cover photo. Familar photo but makes you warm like a pot belled stove. Where did i hear that before :?:

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Seven years ago when I made the big move to Florida from Rhode Island where I lived for 57 years was quite a challenge. I worked the first five years. in security with no vacation or sick days, Seeing Doris in the supermarket tabloids felt familiar and good to see her on the covers even though they started out derogatory till Doris's crew got on it and turned it positive with Closer magazine. It really is about the stars we love. All time stars like Doris. People want to read about her and she is much loved for all she gave us. Now I am retired and at peace knowing Doris is a magazine cover away with her still so much in our lives and always in our hearts.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Think of that magical time which seemed like divine intervention. Doris was number one in the movies, Jackie the First Lady and Lucy comedy queen of TV. That timeline 1960-1963 before the assaination for those of us who lived through it knows what was taken from us and maybe never can be recreated. The best of times. Doris is still with us to remind us,

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

60 years ago today: August 5th 1956, Doris Day was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with ‘Whatever Will Be Will Be”

Doris Day’s recording of the song for Columbia Records made it to number two on the Billboard Hot 100 and number one in the UK Singles Chart.

From 1968 to 1973, it was the theme song for the situation comedy The Doris Day Show, becoming her signature song. The three verses of the song progress through the life of the narrator—from childhood, through young adulthood and falling in love, to parenthood—and each asks “What will I be?” or “What lies ahead?” The chorus repeats the answer: “What will be, will be.” It reached the Billboard magazine charts in July 1956.

The song received the 1956 Academy Award for Best Original Song with the alternative title “Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)”. The Oscar-winning song was featured in Alfred Hitchcock’s 1956 film, The Man Who Knew Too Much, with Doris Day and James Stewart in the lead roles.

https://www.doyouremember.com/2016/08/t ... heme-song/

Lyrics

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty
Will I be rich
Here’s what she said to me

Que será, será
Whatever will be, will be
The future’s not ours to see
Que será, será
What will be, will be

When I grew up and fell in love
I asked my sweetheart, what lies ahead
Will we have rainbows
Day after day
Here’s what my sweetheart said

Que será, será
Que será, será
What will be, will be

Now I have children of my own
They ask their mother, what will I be
Will I be handsome
Will I be rich
I tell them tenderly

Que será, será
Que será, será
What will be, will be
Que será, será
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

There was a double page article in the UK version of National Enquirer [last week] - with the caption along the lines of "Doris Day's life long battle to find true love" - there was a pic from this years birthday of Doris on the phone on the balcony- however, all text in the article was taken directly from her 1976 book - nothing new at all, however, it was a respectful article.

webmaster

The UK has always had a soft spot for Doris. :)

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

I love sharing my 'Sentimental Journey' story with those who love and remember Doris - last Sunday I gave a talk at an upscale retirement community. They called it a "Sentimental Journey Tea"...had tea and a variety of desserts for all who came. During my talk, there were two people who had met Doris in 1945 in Los Angeles. One was a 90+ year old man who said he was waiting to be deployed to Pearl Harbor and went to the USO where Les Brown was playing, along with his new young singer, Doris Day. He said he even had the opportunity to dance with her and he was so happy sharing his brief encounter with Doris. The other was a lady who was working at the USO and serving food - she said Doris came to her booth and sat down to eat - they talked briefly and she was so excited to share that story. You just never know who you might meet at my talks and some even have their own Doris Day story. Love hearing these 'gems' and also sharing my 'dream-come-true' story...I'll soon be on the road again...
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you so much for your wonderful story about Doris. I think there are many individuals that carry cherished memories of encounters with Doris.
Thanks to everyone who shares their stories and pictures about Doris in this forum. These experiences make our world a brighter place.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: News, Events and Comment -No Thanks, Oscar

Unread post by jmichael »

Nothing really new here but this may be the first time I've seen it confirmed in print.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/2 ... tes-922215

Excerpt from the article by Scott Feinberg below:

"As for the Hersholt, the least frequently presented Governors Award — bestowed only 35 times, it honors someone who has done important work for others — the people's choice is, as always, animal savior Doris Day. But I'm told that the reclusive 92-year-old has asked, in years past, not to be given the award, so I wouldn't bet on her. Alternative options include another longtime animal activist, Tippi Hedren; George Clooney, for his many good works; Barbra Streisand, for her Barbra Streisand Foundation; or — how about this for a surprise, in the wake of last year's #OscarsSoWhite tensions — Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith for their Will Smith and Jada Smith Family Foundation."

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Michael for the really interesting Hollywood Reporter article.

It seems that candidates who would not attend the Awards ceremony will not be considered for an Academy honour. e.g. Doris Day, Terence Malik.Giving an award should not have any strings attached. Consideration to the wishes, age, and health of the honouree need priority. There should be the option for a designate to attend the ceremony and accept the award. In Doris' case, her good friend, animal advocate Betty White, may accept.

The Academy could consider the option of making a cash donation to the charitable foundation the honouree supports. Doris will never attend any ceremony but she would welcome the financial support to help animals.

Doris Day will always be the "peoples' choice" for her humanity, advocacy and legacy of love for animals.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Recently purchased a new computer with Microsoft Windows 10. While downloading apps I found a Doris Day app to my delight which covers her career. The app has a picture of Doris in a pink and white 19th century dress and hat, holding a parasol. The photo could be from Calamity Jane, It's A Great Feeling or Tea For Two.

I am wondering if anyone else has discovered this app.
Johnny

JMoore

Unread post by JMoore »

I can't get the app to work and I have Windows 10.

webmaster

Same here! Windows 10 and a brand new computer. I must have tried a dozen times, I just get that spinning opening thing but it never loads, had to give up on it :evil:

JMoore

Unread post by JMoore »

Exactly what I get Bryan. I haven't found any customer support on the app. Wonder if we are missing a plugin or have to enable some setting.