News, Events and Comment

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
texas gonzalo
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: News, Events and Comment

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

Peter, thanks for posting the detailed listing of the songs from DAYtime On The Radio. As I mentioned in an early post that was lost during the transition to the new web site, I already have the CD and have listened to it several times. I have also posted the CD contents in the Doris Day Definitive Discography in the section describing her recordings, and in the Radio Years chapter where The Doris Day Show is described. You will note the specific show where the songs were first heard. The booklet accompanying the CD is very detailed and includes the dates when the songs were aired. All the songs are a treat, but there are some songs that are especially noteworthy. The four songs which caught my attention are #4 You're Just In Love (w/Van
Johnson), #6 Dearie (w/Dan Dailey, #19 Wait Till The Sun Shines Nellie (w/George Jessel), and #24 I'll Be Seeing You (w/George Murphy. The last one with Murphyt is particularly interesting since Doris describes how she can teach a song using the a b c's. At the beginning of the song Doris sings short lyrics from Swanee, When They Begin the Beguine, and By The Sea. How Miss Day could pull off the intricacies of the song is beyong belief, but attests to her talent and versatility. The official release day in June will be here before you know it. Believe me the CD is worth the wait. In the meantime, Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

i am in Day heaven here in an assited living resort here in Florida, Pet friendly and yesterday we had a dog visitor on sort of a wheel chair because his legs have no feeling, Also here were a few lab guidedogs at a poolside music party and too top it all off they played Que Sera and Young At Heart.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Ray- sounds great- "do not disturb" those furry babies- why don't you go out for Chinese and take a few? I hear "with 6 you get eggroll"? Even take them for a walk - they'd love it- but "Please don't eat the daisies."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi there.

Came across this letter from Doris to Mary Wickes, didn't know where to post it...

Enjoy reading,

P

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you so much Peter for posting Doris' letter to Mary Wicks. It is wonderful to know they stayed in touch after the moon pictures.

Doris' writing style reflects her warm, friendly, open personality she shows in her films.

Just thinking of Mary Wickes' delightful wisecracks is such as a good feeling. I never forgot Mary introducing the Winfield family while leaning on the fence post at the beginning of the film. She said about Wesley, "If Wesley had been born first, he would have been an only child in the Winfield family". So funny.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Yes, thanks Peter - I wonder if they got together? Doris' Special was after she stopped making films, wasn't it? More than 20 years after they had worked together? A lot of catching up to do!

Glad you're happy in Da Da Land, Ray! :) I wondered how you were and glad to hear you're okay. I'll fix your avatar soon - a forum update removed a lot of avatars!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Loved reading the letter. And enjoyed her remarks about mama's cooking - Doris has always had such a good sense of humor. And yes Bryan, in Wickes' book from a few years back she mentions visiting Doris up in Carmel - nice that they had such a good, enduring friendship.
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Why Doris was right to turn down The Graduate?

Here's to YOU, Mrs Robinson... Dustin Hoffman pawed his leading ladies and Doris Day found the script offensive. As The Graduate turns 50, BRIAN VINER reveals its very racy secrets
There are still many reasons to love classic movie The Graduate, which is half a century old this year, and just about to get a shiny new restoration for cinema release.
Who can forget the Simon & Garfunkel soundtrack; the way the film spoke for a generation disaffected with their parents’ way of doing things; the enigmatic but oddly satisfying ending; the humour; the sexiness; the romance; the one-liners?
It is a funny, brilliantly observed and rightly venerated film, which overnight turned the little-known Dustin Hoffman — who months earlier had been living on his uppers in New York — into a major star.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4hZIfwJpX

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

There are so many theories about Doris and "The Graduate." The one I give most credence to is one I read about her p.r. agent Warren Cowan being given the script by Mike Nichols to relay to Doris. According to Cowan, he gave the script to Marty. Marty read it, returned it to Cowan, and never even showed it to Doris. According to Cowan, Melcher thought it was too dirty. What a missed opportunity - Doris would have finally been part of a film that is considered to be a classic!
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Doris did say she read it herself, Howard, and she didn't like the idea of romping around in the sack with someone half her age, so I believe what she said. She was 'Doris Day' after all! :)

To be honest, I can't see her playing that role. It wasn't her style.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

My thoughts, too, Bryan. To me, Doris's not doing The Graduate was less of a missed opportunity than was South Pacific. And 8 years before The Graduate, she scored in a big way with Pillow Talk, which is certainly a classic in its genre.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Today, July 11th on TCM , the theme is a day of Doris Day musicals.

By The Light of The Silvery Moon
Starlift
On Moonlight Bay
The West Point Story
Love Me Or Leave Me
Tea For Two
My Dream Is Yours

On Friday, July 21st:

Please Don't Eat The Daisies

The Man Who Knew Too Much

On July 31st at 8p.m. on TCM there is the AFI Tribute to Diane Keaton.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Thanks for this info, Johnny. (Diane Keaton and I are from the same hometown.)

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Just saw a clever ad in the Carmel newspaper. The ad is for a realtor and it says,
"She is to real estate what Bach is to a fugue and Doris Day is to a dog." Cute!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Musiclover for the smile. I love it.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Musiclover wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 21:03
Just saw a clever ad in the Carmel newspaper. The ad is for a realtor and it says,
"She is to real estate what Bach is to a fugue and Doris Day is to a dog." Cute!
That's clever advertising - especially, when you consider how influential Doris was in making Carmel so dog friendly. Thanks for sharing this, Judy.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

I came across ABC's Doris Day Interview: America's Sweetheart Returns, have you all seen it?:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/doris-d ... s-15072846

Also Doris Day's Life and Career:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/doris-d ... r-46541097

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Saw this in a Google Alert - nice summary on Doris.

https://www.earnthenecklace.com/doris-d ... -up-to-now

Hope Doris is have a great day...

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

webmaster

BBC releases list of top 100 comedy films of all time
The hot list throws up all sorts of funny food for thought...
Donald Clarke - BBC Culture names top 100 comedies
...It’s a list worth pondering. I fume that not a single critic voted for the incomparable Doris Day comedy Pillow Talk. I now wonder if I should have voted for Alexander Mackendrick’s The Ladykillers, which, despite charting with Australian, Indian and Chilean critics, somehow failed to make the 100. Come to think of it, Ealing Studios look to have been shamefully robbed."
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film ... -1.3194683

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Agree about PT - although these lists are so subjective- also, as much as I adore the Apartment - I would not class it as a comedy per se- a tragedy in more ways- but a classic.

webmaster

Agree there, Jas, now that you mention it, The Apartment isn't really a comedy - given the serious subject matter. It would probably be a very different film if made today - and completely unacceptable in most office environments, although I'm sure it still goes on.

A missing comedy from the list, also with Maclaine and Lemmon, is Irma La Duce, I had an urge to see it again a few months ago and found it as delightful as I remembered it. Okay, Shirley plays a prostitute and Lemmon, playing a phony English Lord with accompanying English accent, is her sugar daddy and pimp! But it's done more as a farce than anything resembling reality. Catch it if you haven't seen it.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Looking at the list of the top BBC 100 comedies, I was happy to see Harold and Maude and Young Frankenstein on the list. There were more than a few films that didn't deserve to be on the list.

The film comedies that I thought were glaring omissions:

Auntie Mame
Moonstruck
Tom Jones
My Little Chickadee
She Done Him Wrong
Heaven Can Wait
Bullets Over Broadway
Forrest Gump
Funny Girl
Working Girl
Libeled Lady
The Philadelphia Story
Moonrise Kingdom
The Bank Dick
I'm No Angel
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad World

Doris Day comedies that richly deserve to be on the list:

Pillow Talk
Lover Come Back
Please Don't Eat The Daisies
The Thrill Of It All
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Rose Marie just posted some good news on her Twitter feed.

For u Doris Day fans, thought you'd like 2 know she called the other day. She's good. We laughed a lot & I told her about #waitforyourlaugh
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Right you are, Johnny. I looked for "Philadelphia Story," too, and found it at #38 (though in my view it deserves a higher ranking).

Michael, thanks for sharing Rose Marie's comment. I can just about hear those two ladies laughing!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Musiclover! The Philadelphia Story is a favorite.

Thank you Michael for the info on Rose Marie's tweet. It is appreciated.
Johnny