News, Events and Comment

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: News, Events and Comment

Unread post by ray »

The article also appeared in The Irish Times today about the movie offer.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Yes, and pigs will fly. :lol:
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Well at least they are still writing about her and find her interesting as we all do. How did you know Bryan the script was called flying pigs :?: :o

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Oink, oink!!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Look I didn't write the story just reporting on Day news on google! Nice to ooh and arrr the banners but can't we discuss other things? Reminds me when Beverly Boyer said in The Thrill Of It All. I am Beverly Boyers and I am a pig!!!! :lol: By mistake of course. :roll:

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Jas your in Ireland. What kind of paper is The Irish Times? Is it a tabloid?

webmaster

Ray, I know you like to live in hope, but Doris is in her 90's now. She's in the twilight of her life. I hear she rests and sleeps a lot these days. Give the poor woman a break. And Clint Eastwood should stop pestering her as well Don't you remember Elizabeth Taylor had a similar idea for her and Doris to do one last film - one last hooray - that was about 10 years ago, or more. Doris didn't do it then and I hope she doesn't it now.

Don't you think she's given enough to her fans and the animals? Let her enjoy what time she has left without being pressurised in this way. It annoys me that Clint Eastwood is trying to persuade her, to be honest.

I know you mean well but you're not really considering her.

And I'll ignore the comment about the banners (But it's going in your report card!).

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Ray - the Irish Times is not a tabloid, it is a sister paper to "The Times" in the UK - however, that does not add or detract from the story- they [The Irish Times] report what the German report has said.

Bryan - with a lot of respect- I think you should lighten up - like Ray - I think it is fabulous that even the whiff of such a story still generates press coverage- how many stars of Doris' era could still whip up this kind [or any kind] of interest? Debbie Reynolds [no]; Kim Novak [possibly], even my own dear Maureen O'Hara couldn't.

Oh, and if it is true - i don't see it is Clint putting pressure on DD- i think she has as much notion of doing a film as she has of flying to the moon- but the thought she is still wanted - well, that [I'd think] would be a fabulous boost - at any age. Remember Doris said at the Golden Globes in 1989 [and at other times since] -[when talking about a come back] - "I think the best is yet to come and I'm not finished yet" - the more time has went on the more unlikely this is - though Doris obviously still likes the idea of it - and seemed thrilled telling either Joan Lunden or Gloria Hunniford "I probably will..." [do something] and "they all agreed" -[to filming it in Carmel.

Finally - as a foot note to films - i wonder if Doris was ever approached over the years for a voice over in an animation film- [Paul]??? - That [to me] would be the only hope [and slim at that] of DD doing something creative again I'd think.

Like Ray though [and many] it is fun to dream and i stand by my earlier comment, I'd think Doris is amused to say the least at this latest rumour mill.....

webmaster

I'm as light as feather, Jas! I just feel protective towards her and I honestly feel Clint Eastwood's time would be better spent making "Dirty Harry: The Final Encounter", or something. :roll:

I'm not saying I'm right, I know some of you can never get enough, but it's how I feel - and I hope I'm allowed to say how I feel, whether people agree or disagree.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Oh absolutely Bryan, life if a tapestry of views and opinions and how boring if we all felt the same.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I haven't given this enough thought to dig deeper, but it looks like another rumor started by a tabloid that other sites are repeating without verifying the facts. It happens all the time now. One bogus story appears and other outlets replay it because their success is based on how many hits, views and re-blogs they generate. The higher the number, the more they can charge for ad fees. No one bothers to check the facts anymore.

This is more of an irritation than anything and I don't believe a word of it.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Cheers, Jas - sorry if I got a bit passionate about it! :oops:

Michael, I saw it on a German website a few days ago. The text is in German but a (bad, automatic) translation reads:

FOR CLINT EASTWOOD MOVIE: Doris Day again in front of the camera

Doris Day on her 91st birthday on April 3 on the balcony of her house. The Hollywood legend has been living withdrawn in Carmel, California. Only on her birthday, she shows every year the fans

"In Californian town of Carmel, just south of San Francisco, just a stone's throw away from each other. Now wants Clint Eastwood (85) entice his neighbor Doris Day (91) one last time before the camera.

The Hollywood veteran, who has retired from show business decades ago, however, impose conditions. You will only join if it is turned in her home because her is traveling around too burdensome. In addition to a share of the revenue of the Doris Day Animal League forward. For 35 years, the Foundation for homeless animals begins.

Eastwood, who actually wanted to make a Western, has agreed to the demands. With a team of film studio Warner Brothers, he broods already a writer - supposed to be a family drama, in which a dog should play a major role.

Day is a big fan of Eastwood. She invites the four-time Academy Award winner regularly for tea in her house. Most recently, he had a first-draft script here, and she was absolutely done, they say. Now, the two must agree only on the Gage.

"Doris knows very well what a last appearance of her in a Hollywood movie these days is worth," said one of involved Studio Manager to Bild am Sonntag."
http://www.bild.de/unterhaltung/leute/d ... .bild.html

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

When Doris steps on the set for her first day of filming, then I'll believe it.

Respectfully yours,
Doubting Michael :o :twisted: :?:
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

JMoore

Unread post by JMoore »

Heard from Doris' manager. In his words "there is not a shred of truth to the rumor." Oh well, it was a nice pipe dream for a few hours.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

I did not write or dream up the rumor. I have nothing to gain from any of this. Your protective of Doris and don't think it should be mentioned on a forum that Doris sleeps all the time. She could come across this. her manager should state too that Doris was indeed offered the Honorary Oscar this year. If truth is the point. Doris doesn't have to do another thing in show business as far I am concerned. I just told about the german tabloid rumor.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Your banners and work on this site ARE wonderful. We should stick with this instead of topics that are not true.

webmaster

I didn't think for a minute that you'd made it up, Ray - I'd already seen the article.

If topics were confined to banners it would be a very dull forum! It's okay to disagree. If we were talking about this in a bar, it would be sorted out quickly and then we'd move on. It's easier to get the wrong impression when you're reading something.

But I'm glad it's not true (thanks, JMoore).

I was going to ask where Clint Eastwood was when Doris was making films like The Balad of Josie - if he likes making westerns. But I don't need to now, do I? :lol:

JMoore

Unread post by JMoore »

No one thinks you made it up Ray as Bryan said. Some very reputable newspapers were also deceived as they picked up on the story also. Doris' manager wants to get the rumor dispelled so as not to get anyone's hopes up. It just goes to show how much people still love Doris since they were so excited that it might be true.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

I was in denial when my Mother died ten years ago and am just sad about this dam age that ingulfs us all. Doris and My Mother had wonderful lives and Doris is still with us. I have much with Doris's movies and music to enjoy for a long time. Only Hope someday they do a worthy movie of her life. Might not be in my lifetime. All I can say these beautiful woman gave me so much love and joy.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

What an interesting and lively dialogue!

I would like to see Clint Eastwood direct a film biography of Doris with her involvement in the casting and story. Eastwood has an outstanding track record as a Director and actor. This film would be a vehicle for her to raise money to help her animal foundation. Doris and Clint have a friendship that would give the project real value.

This would be a great news story.
Johnny

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Like the heading, Dirty Harry Meets Calamity Jane!! Sometimes I think people who know or close to Doris hopes her stardom rubs off on them. Well she does make you feel that way even when writing to her. The writing on the bogus story was sentimental saying the song on Doris's website might be a message of another go round, with that song playing. Your idea of Doris helping Clint with a movie idea for her life would be super.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

I guess I am jealous because of the beautiful banners you all create. I am computer retarded and can't do it!!LOL Bryan wish you could do one for me! :roll:

webmaster

The story is now in the UK's Guardian newspaper;

Doris Day reportedly lured out of retirement by Clint Eastwood

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/se ... t-eastwood

And, as mentioned, The Irish Times (Online)

Doris Day (91) lured out of retirement by Eastwood - report

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/ ... -1.2360297

Both quoting: "According to German tabloid Bild."

JMoore

Unread post by JMoore »

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Derek Malcolm

“I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin,” a wag once remarked. It was a fair cop. But not all that appropriate. The well-scrubbed star, who made 39 movies in a 20-year career, was not just the prime fifties example of the Girl Next Door. She was also an ace professional who was once offered the part of Mrs Robinson in The Graduate because she could be relied upon to fight hard against her Hollywood image.

No, Doris Day wasn’t just goody two-shoes with a furniture polish voice. But there were tremors of shock all round when the National Film Theatre decided to mount a season of her films under the inspired title of Move Over Misconceptions - Doris Day Reappraised. Surely the NFT had something better to do with its time?

Jane Clarke and Diana Simmonds are the perpetrators of this alarming deed, and support it with an imposing Dossier which states the case for their favourite. Both would regard themselves as feminists, but don’t press the point too heavily.

What they imply was that Day was very often very sexy, that she was no push-over in the fifties sex war and that her films show quite clearly that she often actually subverted the squashy Hollywood values of the day.

“Mention Doris Day,” they write, “and you’re likely to get one of two responses. She is the subject of amused contempt among what we would describe as the post-68 generation; probably because she is remembered as the Constant Virgin - the sexual tease who hung on to her virginity through thick and thin.

“On the other hand, the post-war generation is more likely to remember Day with nostalgic affection as the Girl Next Door who exemplified a reassuring and uncomplicated sexuality. We would argue that both these memories are partial and symptomatic.”

And with most of this I agree. To see Day as a girl enmeshed in the bigotry of the Ku Klux Klan in Storm Warning, or as the teacher of journalism in Teacher’s Pet who gives Clark Gable’s cynical city editor more than he chauvinistically bargained for, makes nonsense of her “professional virgin” tag. So does the taut thriller Midnight Lace, or Love Me Or Leave Me, the biography of Ruth Etting, the twenties torch singer who started in a brothel.

But the reputation of Hollywood’s stars isn’t made by their most exceptional films. It is their most characteristic that form their real persona. And Day’s, according to the film books, were all those sex comedies with Rock Hudson. All those comedies? Actually, there were only three - Pillow Talk, Lover Come Back and Send Me No Flowers.

But were even these as anodyne as popular memory has it? Here’s Ross Hunter, producer of Pillow Talk, quoted in the Dossier:

“For Doris, it was an enormous departure from the kind of films she’d been doing for a dozen years. A sophisticated sex comedy. Doris hadn’t a clue as to her potential as a sex image, and no one realised that under all those dirndls lurked one of the wildest asses in Hollywood.

“I came right out and told her. You are sexy, Doris, and it’s about time you dealt with it. Oh, Ross, cut it out (she said). I’m just the old-fashioned peanut-butter girl next door, and you know it.

“Now listen, if you allow me to get Jean Louis to do your clothes, I mean a really sensational wardrobe that will show off that wild fanny of yours, and get some wonderful make-up on you, and chic you up and get a great hairdo that lifts you, why every secretary and every housewife will say: “Look at that - look what Doris has done to herself. Maybe I can do the same thing.”

The truth is that Day only slowly recognised herself as something more than the sweetie-pie Hollywood would like us to remember, and her agent husband, in his highly effective anxiety to make a big career for her, didn’t help much to bring out the steel in her. But it was there, and only deflected by such titles as “The Girl We Would Like To Take A Slow Boat To The States With” (Korean Serviceman, circa 1950).

Besides, those Servicemen would hardly have wanted to take that slow boat with a professional virgin, or the girl next door. And, as Jane Clarke and Diana Simmonds point out, her rejection of the part of Mrs Robinson in The Graduate, was done for what now seem impeccable reasons.

In her view the depiction of sexual relationships in the film was exploitative, as it undoubtedly now appears.

She also had the last word about the virgin tag. In an interview she gave 10 years ago, she said: “When men call you a professional virgin, it usually means you won’t sleep with them, and I’m happy to be regarded as someone strong enough to resist all that. I’m also rather flattered - it sounds as if they want to. Women shouldn’t mind insults if it means they are respected. It means you’ve won the battle.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------