News, Events and Comment

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: News, Events and Comment

Unread post by webmaster »

NEWS: For the Love of a Horse: an eight-year-old's desire for a horse leads her to visit
the Doris Day Equine Adoption Center at Cleveland Amory, Black Beauty Ranch.

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/magaz ... oogle.com/
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

The Horse ranch has a great DD cowboy hat I hope can be ordered.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Such a sweet story. Thanks, Bryan.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Cover story this week in Closer magazine with Doris. Also nice story about our own Paul Brogan running for Mayor and how he spoke to Doris recently telling her he would like to use Que Sera as his campaine song. Paul will win next month!! Yea Paul! :D

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

Ray broke the news on the cover story of Doris Day in Closer magazine. I wish to elaborate on the 19 October 2015 issue. The cover photo shows a smiling Doris in a photo I would associate with the way she looked in "The Glass Bottom Boat." The article covers four full pages and is titled "The Men I've Loved and Lost." It is a well written article replete with photos of her costars including Rock Hudson, James Garner, Ronald Reagan and James Cagney. The article also talks of her four marriages and the tragic loss of her son Terry Melcher. The article contains some photos I had never seen before in the section titled "Her Best Friends Forever." There are photos of Doris with Tony Bennett, Clint Walker and Clint Eastwood, and of Betty White and Kaye Ballard. The photo with Clint Walker is from the set surrounding the golf course encounter in "Move Over Darling" which I had never seen, as is the case with the Clint Eastwood photo. The story leads with a great color photo of Doris from I believe "Midnight Lace." This magazine is a must for any Doris Day collection. Enjoy and
Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

The Closer story sounds wonderful!! Getting a few copies tomorrow!! What a treat with such a positive look at Doris's Hollywood days. Remember we shared a table at the Carmel weekend in 1993? My best friend was there who has since passed on. Just great memories keep us going and Doris is our cheerleader. Thanks for the info about the article.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Wasn't the Clint Walker scene from Send Me No Flowers? It doesn't matter anyway but this Closer piece is wonderful and thanks for your report on it. Happy Days for sure. :D

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

There are three Doris Day films on Turner Classic Movies in October.
Tunnel of Love - October 18

Tea For Two - October 25
Please Don't Eat The Daisies - October 26
Johnny

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

There must be a picture of Clark Gable in the Closer spread? They looked regal together at the Oscars. The King and Queen of Hollywood.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Heard about the CLOSER cover story - just picked up a copy as it is a very nice photo. My question is: Who is giving these 'stories'? No doubt mags are resurrecting some old stories with a new twist since they know the name DORIS DAY and pix still makes $$$$ There is NO WAY Doris is doing any interviews these days - those days are long gone sadly. The photo of Doris on the cover is the way I remember Doris - bright and shiny. We are so very lucky she is still with us. God bless you dear Doris!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Fabricated or not this magazine celebrates Doris as she should be. I don't care if shes 100 years old or what she looks like. The Love still shines through. The mag shows us what she gave us. She remained true to herself when she could have done meatier roles later in her career but she said she enjoyed making people happy and smile, And that she did and still does. Closer did the 2014 interview and that was defineitly her speaking of the joy of being 90! I live in an over 55 building with people 50 up to 98! We all have our good and bad days in that age bracket and we all forget at times and need a little extra rest. Better than that other tabloid with the same dreadful headlines over and over with people who knew Doris looking like they are seeking their own fame and fortune at Doris's expense. Lets cherish this mag for an effort to bring Doris where she should be and where she is, deep in our hearts with much Love. The people in charge of Doris's affairs seem to be on target with the treatment Doris deserves.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Ray, I agree with you 100%. Closer always has nice stories and pix...I Say, keep 'em coming!
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Two things do not ring true in this Closer article. Frank Sinatra asking why she was marrying Barry Comden and she could do better. Doris was not in touch at all with Sinatra at that time. And that Rock Hudson Helped her out money wise during her court battles. Never heard these stories???

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

After reading the Closer magazine article on Doris Day by Louie A. Barile, I wonder if it was an actual interview or a compilation of various stories.
I loved seeing Dors' beautiful picture on the cover. The story featuring her leading men and her real life hisbands was interestong.
The pictures of Doris with Tony Bennett as well as Clint Eastwood are really special.
Perhaps one day Clint will direct The Doris Day Story. Let's hope so.
Johnny

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Yes we need a well done Oscar winning Movie about Doris, nothing less. Then Doris will indirectly get that dam Oscar!! :roll:

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

In all fairness to Sydney Wood, he was with Doris a very long time and I am sure she cares deeply for him also. That other rag had to make the headlines repulsive though. :evil:

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

I am afraid Closer magazine is taking opinions of certain people that may not be correct and out for their own purposes. For their egos or pocketbooks.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

The photo of Doris and Clint Eastwood was taken at the 1987 Monterey Film Festival that is in the Closer article. The same year the first and only DD convention took place in Carmel that many of us attended.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

After rethinking my comments about the Closer article I have to say congratulations to everyone involved in it, It counter attacked the dreadful headlines a week earlier in that other tabloid. It makes us see Doris in all her glory overcomeing obstacles and brings pure joy to many. I was looking through the mag at Walmart and a salesgirl happily said are you reading about Doris Day? On the van ride back many were talking fondly about Doris because of the cover story. Its amazing in 2015 Doris still has the power to envoke such responses. The Lady should never have a sad day knowing how much she is Loved.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Johnny Depp says he never wants to win an Oscar. Not even for his new role in Black Mass. He must be taking DD lessons :wink:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I think Doris [like most stars] would have welcomed the Oscar - at the time - however, as we know, time has passed.

I think Marty most certainly wanted the coup for Doris -hence why the Melchers played the Oscar game 3 years in a row - culminating in the Pillow Talk nomination with Doris presenting at all 3 broadcasts.

My view is that after Doris made it clear [after the breakdown on the set of Midnight Lace] that she could no longer do such scripts, Marty gave up the Oscar dream [allowing Doris to do so too] - hence why it has been reported Marty and Doris were more likely to be seen at a sports game on Oscar night and why DD has never returned to any of the Oscar events.

Paul- i think it was you who talked before about Doris being courted to appear at the 1989 Oscars [at the Golden Globes that year] - to present an award with James Garner and you said that particular year/ broadcast was a diaster and you were glad Doris didn't attend [although it was due to an injury sustained just before the Oscar show] - am i correct here or am i making that up? lol

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

James - You're not making it up. When Doris attended the Golden Globe ceremony in early 1989, Producer Allan Carr ("Grease", etc.) sat next to her and they had a delightful evening chatting and visiting. Miss Day noted to a friend that Carr reminded her of Paul Lynde. Carr was producing that year's Oscar telecast and had big plans to blend the old and new Hollywood in a true spectacle. It did turn out to be a spectacle but not the kind he imagined. Beginning with Rob Lowe's "tribute"???? to Snow White, it went quickly downhill although Carr did convince a number of stars of Hollywood's past to show up. They included Tony Martin with his first and second wives (Alice Faye and Cyd Charisse) which created a major backstage scene when Cyd let it be known that Miss Faye, who'd been divorced from Martin for some 50 years and was happily married to Phil Harris, was not to be allowed near her husband. Others featured included Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Vincent Price, Dorothy Lamour and making her last public appearance, Lucille Ball who would pass away less than a month after the telecast. Carr had convinced Miss Day to appear to present an award and he'd hoped to reunite her with Garner. The newspapers and even the TV Guide noted her participation in their listings for that week. Miss Day, however, suffered an accident in her yard prior to leaving for Los Angeles and was replaced at the last minute for the program.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks Paul for another great posting with so much information - I could read your posts for days = you really do need to write a book - such a wealth of information - fascinating - thanks again.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Thank you so much for the really nice compliment. Right now I am in the midst of running for Mayor of Concord, NH. Once the election is over (November 3), I am going to take a chunk of time and really work at organizing my DD collection. Right now it encompasses more than 40 files and huge sealed tubs in the basement. Terry Melcher sent me several boxes of items back in the 1990's and I need to really see what I have. I think an overview of her career - no personal items beyond transcripts of some of the interviews I conducted with Sydney Guilaroff, Ross Hunter, Joe Pasternak, etc. Mostly I would see it as being an in-depth look at her vast work with never before seen information for serious scholars who want to see the enormity of her career. (Accurate box-office information, a complete list of every award and her placement in polls for her entire career). The kind of book that would make sure that future generations didn't get misinformation. It would be an overwhelming project but I would also see it as having a section devoted to "The Fans Speak"......telling their own story of discovery about Doris Day and how it has impacted their lives. I don't see it as being anything that would be offensive or intrusive for longtime fans but equally important, a detailed intro to non-fans as to why DD resonated as she did and continues to. Of course a goodly chunk of any revenue would go back to the animals.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Fabulous idea for a book, Paul . . . but first, good luck in your mayoral election.

I hadn't really paid heed to your avatar until today. Just recently discovered that Brogan Cellars is here in California. Maybe I'd better try some of their pinot noir!