News, Events and Comment

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: News, Events and Comment

Unread post by ray »

I could see Cecil Tyson getting the honorary Oscar. Doris at times seems to detest her own career.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Paul for the August 25-2015 Hollywood Reporter piece. It is an interesting article.

I believe Doris would accept an award if she could designate someone to go in her place. A perfect
candidate who thrives in front of an audience is Doris' friend Betty White. They share a devotion to the welfare of animals and a warm friendship. Another designate who is a neighbour and friend to Doris is Clint Eastwood who presented her with the Cecil B. DeMille award.

Doris Day and any other potential honouree should be given the respect in a choice in how the award is accepted.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Excellent points, Johnny.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Image GIFSoup

My dolls. Where are my dolls?

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Next year Soupy Sales gets the honorary Oscar!

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

While it does not lessen the impact of Miss Day declining the award once again, it bears noting that Debbie Reynolds, who is receiving the Jean Hersholt Award, NOT for her acting in films but for her work, especially for the Thalians and that work is considerable. As noted in the Press Release: "Reynolds, a Hollywood icon since she won hearts with her buoyant performance in “Singin’ in the Rain,” embarked on the role of a lifetime as a founding member of the Thalians, a charitable organization conceived and sustained by entertainers to promote awareness and treatment of mental health issues. She served as the group’s president almost continuously from 1957 to 2011, adding numerous terms as board chair and frequently presiding over its annual fundraising gala. Her tireless efforts have enabled the Thalians to contribute millions to the Mental Health Center at Cedars-Sinai and to UCLA’s Operation Mend, which helps military veterans recover from the physical and psychological wounds of war."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

The problem is not Debbie Reynolds but that the Academy lead people to believe Doris was overlooked and snubbed. When in fact she was chosen. When Debbie was announced as a winner they wrote there was no humanatrian award then the day after Debbie was now that winner. Its a shame it seems so deceitful from a supposed polished group. Doris knows more about the politics and declining may have been the right move.

jmichael
Honorary Member

ray wrote:The problem is not Debbie Reynolds but that the Academy lead people to believe Doris was overlooked and snubbed. When in fact she was chosen. When Debbie was announced as a winner they wrote there was no humanatrian award then the day after Debbie was now that winner. Its a shame it seems so deceitful from a supposed polished group. Doris knows more about the politics and declining may have been the right move.
Ray, where are you reading this? Can you provide a source or post a link?

I haven't read any of the press because I found it too depressing. I'm having a harder time understanding why Doris refused it for a third time, especially when it became clear that the Academy really wanted to honor her this year. They wouldn't have delayed the official announcement 24 hours to gain her acceptance, unless they felt strongly about honoring her. I don't know what sort of concessions they may offered her in terms of making a personal appearance, but it appears they went all out this year to make it happen.

I have no problems with them honoring Debbie Reynolds for her philanthropic work either. She is as deserving as anyone and she has demonstrated her commitment to the industry time and time again.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Paul, the coverage of this story was very brief in my newspaper, and nowhere did it report that DD declined the award. Can you provide a link to that report? Thanks.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

My source was a longstanding member of the Board of Governors who prefers not to be identified. The Academy, for their part, does not announce that a selection is the "second choice" out of respect for that individual and thereby endures the slings and arrows of angry individuals who think their favorite has been snubbed. Nor would the Academy announce that in their nearly 90 year history, only one person has refused to accept the highest honor they can bestow. Doris Day has been consistent in her refusal to accept awards that organizations have attempted to bestow upon her. I am not privy to all of the reasons behind that but I do know that the American Film Institute requested the opportunity to present her with the AFI Lifetime Award which is a major televised award ceremony, and that she declined - not wishing to go through the hoopla associated with it. Likewise, Producer George Stevens, Jr. who produced the Kennedy Center Honors, publicly noted that on more than one occasion Miss Day was offered this honor which many perceive as comparable to receiving a Knighthood in England. Even Katharine Hepburn who was reticent to accept public honors did show up to receive the Kennedy Center Honors in Washington. Again, Miss Day declined because she didn't want to attend the gala celebrations in Washington and call attention to herself. It's a testament to the lady that we all love, that she lets her work, career and philanthropy stand for itself without the need to receive acclaim. The Academy has sought to honor her, under conditions that would be favorable, but she has declined. Again, I do not think the Academy is going to announce that they were declined out of respect for those chosen. However, I have no reason to doubt that this year, in particular, it came as close as it ever could to happening. It should be noted that while some feel Doris should have been nominated for certain roles (and I agree wholeheartedly), it is NOT the Board of Governors that overlooked such brilliant performances as "Love Me or Leave Me". The Board of Governors has never had a say in who is nominated in acting categories or other categories. The decisions they make to honor individuals is at their discretion and based upon names presented to them. Doris Day has had strong advocates on the Board of Governors and had she wished to accept an award, it would have happened. If someone specifically says "I do not wish to receive an award", I cannot blame the Board of Governors for moving on. Doris has always had her priorities straight in her life and once noted on "The Tonight Show" in November of 1973 when MacLean Stevenson told her she should have won an Oscar for "Midnight Lace" that, "You know how I feel about Oscar..."

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

It bears mentioning that if Marty were alive, Miss Day would probably have collected a lot of these honors over the years because it meant more to him - to amass these things and call public attention - than it ever meant to her. The only really public event that she attended to receive an award, was the Golden Globe ceremony in 1989. She only attended that because her son Terry was nominated for a Golden Globe for co-writing a nominated song, "Kokomo". AS a beamingly proud mom, she wanted to be there in case he won. That worked out well for the Hollywood Foreign Press who thereby voted to give her the DeMille Award. Had Terry not been nominated, she more than likely would have not attended the ceremony.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

All very interesting, guys.

Here's a DD project I was looking at that might also interest people - if you have some spare cash!

DORIS DAY: WHAT WILL BE is a play about the real Doris Day. The year is 1960, and Doris rushes home to Beverly Hills to prepare a dinner party. With Rock Hudson to lend moral support, and legendary guests en route, everything goes as planned until the plan unravels. Only then, do we see Doris in her truest form: a woman who will never stop chugging, no matter the life-changing tragedy.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... at-will-be

More info: http://www.dorisdaywhatwillbe.com/
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

jmichael
Honorary Member

I suppose in some respects this just adds to her legacy. Has any other star aside from Garbo been more emphatic about wanting to be alone?

Moving on, moving on...

Michael
Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

That sound very interesting Bryan.

Yes Michael - apart from Garbo - Miss Day must rank at the top of great stars who did not court or want the spotlight-

I agree Paul - if Marty had survived, things would have been very different! So glad [for whatever reasaos/s] Doris showed up in 1989 to the Golden Globes.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Interesting to read all the comments why Doris is not getting the coveted award which she so justly deserves, but you must remember, the Academy wants people to show up. Debbie Reynolds is willing and able to show up and do whatever in order to receive the award. Doris has been out of the spotlight for so long and, no doubt is uncomfortable being 'in the spotlight' that it is no surprise that she declined this honor. Yes, we all want it for whatever many reasons, but we must look at it as to what Doris wants - she probably could care less. I agree with whomever said "if Marty was still around, she'd be at all these events racking up awards." but that is not reality. She is and will remain out of the public eye and that is apparently her choice and we must all respect that decision. I remember the closet in the room where I had my office in her home - it was full of all kinds of awards, etc. She was not interested in showing off any of these. More power to her - we should all just be thankful that she is still with us and in good health...

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

On Honorary Oscar night sit back and smile that is was intended for Doris. She simple didn't want it. She didn't have to show up or do a video even. Would have brought new donation to the critters though,

Musiclover
Special Contributer

This may not be the right category for posting this info, but I notice that TCM cable network will show "With Six You Get Eggroll" on Sunday, Sept. 27 at 3:00 p.m. west coast time in the States.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

There are three Doris Day films airing in October on TCM.

The Tunnel of Love - October 18th -6:15 Eastern time- 3:15 Pacific time.

Tea For Two - October 25th- 12:30 p.m. Eastern - 9:30 a.m. Pacific.

Please Don't Eat The Daisies -October 26th- 8:00 p.m. Eastern - 5:00 p.m. Pacific
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Really insightful piece - i thought -

...DAILY NEWS
New York
News
PoliticsSports
Entertainment Opinion

HOLLYWOOD, Aug. 26 - McLean Stevenson, who co-stars with Alan Alda, Wayne Rogers and Loretta Swit, in the CBS television version of M*A*S*H, which premieres Sunday, Sept. 17 at 8 p.m., was once a salesman for medical supplies, which explains why he's such a first-class pitchman for his new television series.

Tall, lean and articulate, and a cousin of Sen. Adlai Stevenson 3d (D-III.), McLean, over dinner, was anxious that people know that the half-hour comedy about lives of combat surgeons has nothing to do with the Vietnam war. "Our show," he said, "is about a medical group, a mobile Army surgical hospital that was established for the Korean war and the Korean war only. It was not used in World War II or the Vietnam war.

M*A*S*H COMES TO AN END AFTER 11 YEARS IN 1983

"We've been very careful in the series to be sure this connection is not made. We have short hair cuts, 1952 style. We open a show with a thing that says 'Korea: 1952.' We talk about the people of 1952, such as Harry Truman, and also the music of that era. And, as produced by Gene Reynolds, who is also producer of Anna and the King, which is our lead-in CBS show, our series is closer to the book, 'M*A*S*H,' than the movie."

An Antiwar Story

Stevenson continued:

"When the series was first conceived, we had a meeting with Reynolds and Larry Gelbart, who wrote our pilot. At it we agreed on certain directions, which were not necessarily in keeping with the film, although we are basically an antiwar story.

"One thing we chose not to do," said Stevenson, "is to show all that gory stuff in the operating room the movie did. I personally saw nothing funny about blood shooting out of a man's neck eight, feet across an operating room. So we chose not to do this. Our humor, we decided, would stem from pulling out a kidney and saying, 'What the hell is it?' as they did in the movie. Rather, we will stress the ludicrousness of what we do in order to divert ourselves from the tensions and pressures of our work.

"Secondly," the actor said, "we decided we would not be inept at what we did. We chose to be skilled surgeons, where in the movie I think there was a question as to whether these men should be doing some of the things they were doing. In actual fact, after talking to surgeons who served in Korea, they didn't perform operations they weren't qualified to. So we will at least be closer to truth, we hope.

New York Daily News
New York Daily News article on M*A*S*H in 1972.
"Then thirdly," said the actor, 'we don't make jokes about people we're operating on as they did in the movie, or talk about misplacing a liver, or whatever. We do make jokes in the operating room but they are among ourselves, and this, too, is true to what happens in operating rooms today, I understand.

"After all, highly skilled professional people don't have to discuss what they're doing. They can execute an operation while discussing a golf game, or crab grass, or what have you, as long as it doesn't influence the operation. So in that connection we'll discuss nonmedical things in the operating room sequences.

"Except, perhaps, for the lavish set for Anna and the King, which co-stars Yul Brynner and Samantha Eggar, the set of M*A*S*H on the 20th Century Fox lot is one of the most impressive of the season. It's a series of Army green tents, surrounding ground, and an authentic-looking operating room, with old-fashioned wash tubs and all of the medical equipment one would find with an emergency unit."

The fact that it is not a gung ho war comedy suggests again another trend started by CBS. Said Stevenson, "We don't find fault with the military. We just find fault with the rules the military have to live with. Alan Alda," for instance, who plays Hawkeye, is a well trained surgeon who was drafted. He doesn't resent the people in the Army but the way in which he's forced to live.

"As Lt. Col. Blake, the commanding officer, I'm not a regular Army guy either. It's just that I've had a few more years in surgery and because of that I'm put in command. But I have no more use for the military than they do. I have no more experience in administration or running an Army unit, and that basically is the humor in my character. I'm always catching hell from the surgeons because they know I'm one of them and they're always grumbling about the circumstances under which we have to work. We always run out of things and we have to improvise.

"That's basically our situation. We're totally competent when we're working and totally wacky when we're not."

Held Many Jobs

The Illinois-born actor credits former presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson 2d with encouraging him to become an actor. He went through a series of jobs until the decision was finally made, and on an acting scholarship he journeyed to New York to study under Sanford Meisner and Lee Strasberg. After several acting shots, including starring along with M*A*S*H star Alan Alda on That Was the Week That was, Stevenson headed for Hollywood in 1968.

He became a writer for the Smothers Brothers as well as a regular on the current series, the Doris Day Show where he played Michael Nicholson Miss Day's boss, and on the Tim Conway short-lived comedy hour.

New York Daily News
New York Daily News article on M*A*S*H in 1972.
His admiration for Miss Day is unlimited, and although married at the time he starred on her show, the handsome actor admits he "loved the woman in the truest sense of the word. I wouldn't tell this sort of thing," he confessed, "to a fan magazine writer because we both know what would come out. Some ridiculous story that I loved Doris Day and that's why I left my wife, Louise, which is not so, (Stevenson, father of a daughter, Jeniffer, is separated from his wife.) When I say I loved her I mean it in the purest, nicest sense of the word. I mean it the way I love our producer, Gene Reynolds, or our star, Alan Alda.

"For openers, I have great respect for her ability. I admired her ability to make scenes that were really awful and make them work, I really learned a lot from her. She taught me to have confidence in myself and to have discipline. For the first few shows I was totally in awe of her. She gives more than any performer I've ever worked with. The love that people feel for her on TV is really there because that's her."

Stevenson insists the CBS star isn't Miss Goody Two-Shoes as she's frequently labeled. Said he: "She used to smoke two and three packs of cigarets a day. She drinks occasionally and she's definitely a woman. But," he added, "there's a side of her I don't know, or don't presume to know. There has been a lot of tragedy in her life - the death of her husband, Marty Melcher, and the Manson killings, which involved property once owned by her son. And while she can take care of herself, she's been badly used and abused because she's generous and outgoing and people take advantage of her. Because of this she has a certain reserve today. She waits to see how people will treat her, what their motives are and what they're really like. When she would become defensive it would affect me. Once she said to me:

"'I have too much affect on you. You've got to learn that you can love me but you're not going always to like me and that's okay."

Just Good Friends

Later, Stevenson said he realized there had been days when he worked with the star that he didn't always like her. He was especially upset when she would shut him out and push him away. And he admitted, "She drove me nuts about her dogs. She has so much feeling about other people and about her dogs it would drive me balmy. I didn't care about them to the degree that she did, but at the same time she didn't care about the orphan kids in Victory Hill in Illinois I devote myself to. But we were really good friends and that's what counts."

Stevenson rambled on about his devotion to Miss Day. "I found her to be a very attractive woman," he confessed. "Kissing her on the cheek was like making love to a lot of women. If M*A*S*H is a success I'd like nothing better than to call her up and take her out to dinner."

By the looks of things Doris Day has a date."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Jas for the very interesting articles on M *A*S*H. and Stevenson's s working relationship with Doris.

Like any relationship, working or personal, there are so many dynamics operating over time. I imagine there is a great deal of pressure involved in the day to day production of a television series and that Doris was pulled in a lot of different directions. This can colour a relationship. Each person is like a puzzle, and Stevenson contributed to us understanding Doris better with his experiences and feelings.

Stevenson confirmed what so many other actors have said that about Doris' depth of knowledge and ability in making a scene work. I wonder if she knew this about herself.

Thanks again for such a thoughtful piece.
Johnny

webmaster

I'm watching a new documentary about Doris on the Sky Arts channel series about film icons, "Discovering... Doris Day, in this case. It's really great - and fresh. I'm hearing things I Haven't heard before.

Just paused it to say this - will say more later.

webmaster

Really good program - three British film critics (usual format) talk about her and her career - in a very positive and knowledgeable way - It has a tinge of sadness as it gets to the end.

http://www.sky.com/tv/show/discovering- ... /doris-day

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan- my friend told me about that and in fact taped it - as we were out when it aired - Friday past- I very much look forward to seeing it- others in the series include one on Lana Turner who i have a soft spot for.

webmaster

Be good if we could share it, Jas. :wink:

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Sonic rumor that Clint Eastwood presented Doris with a script for a movie that she likes. From a german tabloid called Bild, she will do it if filmed in Carmel and half of her earnings goes to her animal foundation. Also says Doris declined an Honorary Oscar and Kennedy award because of her fear of flying.