Doris Day Forum Banners 2016

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2016

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks, Johnny!

I must admit I didn't think of the dress as dated - although I can see your point. I just thought of it as a different style/era, and styles tend to come and go. Often Doris overcame the style, as in On Moonlight Bay/By the Light of the Silvery Moon, don't you think? (Apart from the dress where the padding fell out!)

But I agree that 'Doris looks fresh and youthful'! (but you can still feel like that when you are older - if you are among the very young at heart! :) )

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Hi Bryan,

I think what I was trying to say about the clothing in the Doris banner is that the dress was too embellished and fussy for Doris' classic simplicity and excellent taste in clothing. The dress was appropriate for the film and the times.
Johnny

webmaster

Yes, you're right, Johnny. And always good to have a new perspective, Thank you.

webmaster

East-coast snowstorms sound a challenging ordeal - how are you doing in New York, Ray?

Meanwhile Doris is enjoying better weather here:

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Beautiful banner, I love it. A wonderful movie Doris and Frank together on the screen, it is priceless. Thank you Bryan

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Fabulous Young At Heart Banner- I love that scene and want to be there on the beach searching for clams, listening to music and sitting by the fire - bliss!

webmaster

Thanks Ania! And I know what you mean, Jas? 8) Doris was at her peak of Doris Dayness in this film, I think. Her next few films would be very different, Love Me or Leave Me, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Julie - and she'd soon graduate to the adult 'bedroom comedies' that proved so successful.

Young Blue Eyes and Ol' Blue Eyes.

On the set of Young at Heart with Ethel Barrymore & Gig Young.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes Bryan, I think at this time [Young at Heart] Doris was in the early days of Super-Stardom and on the cusp of the most critically successful period of her career culminating in Pillow Talk after a run of first rate yet diverse film roles.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan,

it is a perfect Doris banner for a January winter day. It is a real treat to see and listen to the I'M Ready, Willing and Able video.

I love the look of the vintage record player, so charming. Seeing the family on a picnic while Doris is singing reminds me just how enjoyable Young At Heart is and the stellar cast in the film. It is time for another viewing.
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks, Johnny. Here's another great photo of Doris - thanks to Peter Flapper.

The caption reads "Doris Day, 1956, aboard The Queen Elizabeth, stateroom."

My first thought was that it was the hotel (The Dorchester, I think) Doris stayed at when she came to London to shoot scenes for The Man Who Knew Too Much, but interesting it was The Queen Elizabeth.

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Unread post by Tybear2015 »

Bryan,

I really love the pictures of Doris and Frank. They look so comfortable together and look like they are enjoying each others company while working to make this awesome film. They were both such accomplished artists i wish they could've made more movies together. Doris was such a joy to work with im sure all of her leading men would have jumped at the opportunity to make many films with her. Its a shame Doris's career as a film star and entertainer ended but not her popularity. She is definitely a living legend and her music and movies will be available for future generations to enjoy.

Thank you for all you do for this forum and the positive comments and giving us the oppotunity to celebrate the life and many accomplishments of our beautuful Doris.

Tybear

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Lovely banner- Doris looks so fresh and just perfect.

Saw Lana Turner interviewed on youtube [1980s] saying people always asked her if she wore certain film costumes and that it was a myth they [the stars] got to keep film clothes- Doris not so- I know def from PT onwards that Doris had a clause in her contracts where she could [and usually did] keep the screen clothes - how wise!

Interesting to see she had started this practice even on Man who knew too much - as this is the [screen silver suit] from the film that Doris is wearing [personally] on board the ship.

webmaster

Interesting, Jas - thanks for that.

Yes, she does look great there - makes you wonder why they made her look so different in many of the scenes in The Man Who Knew Too Much? Or was it just the heavy makeup?

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I think it is just the make up Bryan which by nature is heavy for films. Though I really like how Doris looks in The Man Who Knew Too Much - and I really like the hair piece for some reason that she wears [as Jo McKenna]. I think maybe Hitch [in the look, including simplicity of clothes] was trying not to date the film too much.

webmaster

He liked those grey suits - Kim Novak in Vertigo, Tippi Hedren in The Birds, etc.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Beautiful banner, I love it.

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Love this beautiful picture of Doris Peter, thanks for making it into a banner Bryan, :wink:
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, been kind of busy, you know how life gets sometimes. :?

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

webmaster wrote:He liked those grey suits - Kim Novak in Vertigo, Tippi Hedren in The Birds, etc.
Oh, dare I go there, and clarify that Tippi Hedren did not wear a grey suit at any point in The Birds.

She wore a black suit in the opening scene at the pet shop and for the rest of the film, she remained in that green dress and mink (ugh) coat.

A thousand pardons are requested from our most honorable webmaster for this impudent correction. :lol: :twisted:

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Tippi wore that green suit all weeked in the movie. Through bird attacks and boat rides and that god awful mink coat. Hitch really did torment her even with the wardrobe.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Peter and Bryan for this great Doris banner. The first thing I thought of was Easter when I saw the photo. I was looking for a bunny. Perhaps it may be oranges. It looks like it says Mr. Vino and Price on the biscuits package. I have been trying to figure out what else is in the basket.

To the more important point, Doris looks so natural and beautiful in this photo. I really like it.

Thanks again.
Johnny

webmaster

Yes, she looks fab and as nature intended. :)

Michael, re: "A thousand pardons are requested" - just one will do, from me to your expert eye. Ok, so I was half right (Vertigo). Are there any more?

http://www.hungertv.com/feature/top-ten ... ock-films/

jmichael
Honorary Member

ray wrote:Tippi wore that green suit all weeked in the movie. Through bird attacks and boat rides and that god awful mink coat. Hitch really did torment her even with the wardrobe.
He sure did! I also heard Suzanne Pleshette showed up one day in a blonde wig and joked that she could play the lead. Hitch had a real thing for cool blondes, but he wasn't able to get anywhere except vicariously through his films. Tippi wasn't as bad as many claimed. She didn't have the depth to make this neurotic play girl nearly as interesting as she should have been. To me, Jessica Tandy was the standout with Pleshette a close second.

Michael
Michael H

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Doris as the Doctor's wife certainly had an edge to her. She mentioned to her husband telling her she at one time took too many pills. She was in control but ready to scream her head off any moment, not just at Albert hall! Even if Hitch was interested he wouldn't hit on Doris with Marty always in the picture. Could you see poor Doris fighting off a heated Hitchcock running around the casting couch saying I am not that kind of girl!!! :lol: At least not with Alfred. :roll:

jmichael
Honorary Member

Agree - Doris definitely had an edge to her in TMWKTM - she had depth as an actress. Doris always gave more than what the script called for in that she made you feel what her character was going through. The work is never obvious either. It's transparent because channeled what is going on inside the character. Pretty amazing. No matter how many times you revisit one of her great performances, they hold up, even under intense scrutiny. They stand the test of time.

Michael
Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Watched an interview on youtube with Tipi about her big cat ranch- boy she has done some great work for the animals too.
The interviewer asked her about funding [she gets none except tax breaks from Government]- however he asked "Does Doris ever send you any funding" - in fairness he seemed to admire DD and so did Tipi who replied "no, but she certainly does her share for the animals..." - Tipi then observed that 3 Hitchcock blondes [herself, Doris and Kim Novak] were heavily involved in animal welfare. Thought that was nice.