Doris Day Forum Banners 2016

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2016

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi webmaster,

Love, just love this photo of Doris, she looks so glamorous and vulnerable at the same time. This is the Doris' look from around 1954 till 1957. It started around Young At Heart and ended around Teachers Pet. I'm a great fan of "Love Me Or Leave me" think that this dress is one of the prettiest, but Doris looks good in anything.

P

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Stunning banner,very glamorous,lovely colours!
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

This photo of Doris from Love Me Or Leave Me gives her look of vintage sophistication and glamour appropriate for the role of Ruth Etting. It is different from the contemporary look in Young At Heart, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Julie, The Pajama Game and Teacher's Pet. All these looks indicate the fashion of the 1950's era. With Teacher's Pet, Doris' fashion image is shifting towards the iconic, timeless classic fashions in Pillow Talk, Lover Come Back and Midnight Lace that put her in the fashion forefront in the 1960's.
Johnny

Ania
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Ania »

Absolutely great banner

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Glad we all love this image - it's what I expected. :) She had an amazing ability to change character, depending on what part she was playing, and look and seem a different person - compare this to Calamity Jane, for example. Not many actresses had that ability.

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Love the banner...great choice. Have a great week!!!!
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Love the banner- always loved that picture from LMOLM.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bryan - your comment on your March 18th post, triggered a great deal of introspection about how so many people feel about Doris Day, her work and what she means to us. I thought I would try to express some of my thoughts and feelings about your interesting and thought-provoking question (below).

"I still haven't figured out exactly why I like her so much after all this time. Has anyone else?"

Firstly, The Doris Day Forum is a true testament of love from Doris Day fans. There are so many heartfelt expressions of caring. There are also many thoughtful, factual, and fascinating perspectives on the importance of her work as an artist in film, music, dance, television and Doris' impressive and important work as an activist for animal welfare.

Secondly, the question, What are the qualities in a person that we value needs to be asked. Generally speaking it has been my experience that the qualities of honesty, intelligence, kindness, sincerity, humour, reliability, as well as confidence and independence draw us to others. Doris embodies these qualities in each of her performances as an artist and activist.

Thirdly, it is important to note that Doris Day was the number one box-office star in the world for the first half of the 1960's. Why? My guess is Doris' talent and true emotional depth as an actress and singer connected with both the hearts and minds of both men and women around the world.

Fourthly, Doris is loved because she is a milestone experience for so many while we grew up with our family and friends enjoying her films and her singing. There is a wealth of emotional memories associated with our Doris Day experiences. She brought joy and laughter into our lives that we shared with others. She has enhances our life experiences. Doris is a touchstone in my life that keep my family and childhood memories close.

There is a universal love for her songs, in particular, Sentimental Journey, Secret Love, Que Sera, Sera, Day By Day, Autumn Leaves, Summer Has Gone, How Insensitive, all Doris' Christmas music especially Let No Walls Divide and When I Fall In Love to name just a few.

Doris' films, On Moonlight Bay, By The Light of The Silvery Moon, Calamity Jane, Love Me Or Leave Me,The Man Who Knew Too Much, Pillow Talk, Midnight Lace, Lover Come Back, Billy Rose's Jumbo, The Thrill Of It All, and Move Over Darling thrilled us and made us laugh or be scared for her. We embraced the truth in her performances. We loved her.

In summary, the quality of Doris Day that surfaces in everything she does is truth and goodness. They are excellent reasons in my book to give her importance. Doris has made our lives better and we should always be thankful and appreciative.

Bryan, thank you for asking an important question. Thank you for this forum that allows us to share really great moments and memories about Doris Day.

I think this post may be better as a new topic instead of being included in Doris Day Banners: Why We Love Doris Day. If I would have thought of it, I would have started it as a new topic.
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks for that thoughtful consideration, Johnny, I enjoyed reading it.

(I did reply but went a bit off topic so maybe you should start a new topic after all?)

webmaster

Moving on:

Getting ready for Easter? Doris in 1949 - publicity shot for "It's A Great Feeling". (I rather like it! :) )

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I really like this charming black and white banner of Doris. I don't remember the image from It's A Great Feeling but will check it out next time I watch the film. Perhaps it is her make-up that gives her a modern look and she looks terrific in the dress.

The image on the table is interesting as well, looking at the shadow on the wall of what appears to be a glass lamp.
Johnny

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Banner beautiful as any of the banners here on forum Thank you :D
Johnny beautifully spelled, you're right a hundred percent!
✤✺✤✺✤

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

What a lovely banner,I have so many pictures of that dress.I always liked this hairdo.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

webmaster

I'm glad you all feel that way, I know that Doris was wearing clothes from an earlier age and, as with the modern clothes she wore, she looked beautiful and captured the spirit of the time. (As she did with On Moonlight Bay / By the light of the Silvery Moon, etc.)

Dorine, please post them! and Ania, I think you uploaded a colour one - do you still have it?

People used to say that Marilyn Monroe would look beautiful in a potato sack so she decided to pose in one. :)

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Unread post by Tybear2015 »

Bryan,

I love this gorgeous black and white banner of Doris. And she like Marilyn Monroe would look beautiful in anything she put on. Every outfit Doris wore suited her perfectly. Doris is the only person i have ever seen who could pull off wearing hats of any style. She always looked perfect on and off of the screen. Doris is the definitive classy lady even at 92 years young. May this be her happiest birthday ever!

Tybear

webmaster

Thanks - and very true, Tybear. You hit the nail on the head. :)

And speaking of Doris and clothes, I came across an image that I hadn't seen before:

Not sure how to describe it - film noir (ish)? Looks a bit 1930s style.

Great Easter banner coming from Puck tomorrow - hope you've all got your Easter Eggs in!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I love how Doris looked in It's a Great Feeling- and that in between hair do - (noted in current banner) is just beautiful.

Off track - it is a pity [for us] that Doris met her last husband [Barry Comden] as it seemed to put an end to that very brief window [1974-76] where she really seemed to be out and about at premiers and film events [e.g. the James Cagney AFI tribute/ Benji premiere, Tonight Show (and other TV shows) etc.] - and also this is the period where she really show cased her amazing figure and assets....[bra-less look] etc.

webmaster

Hadn't thought about that angle before, Jas - interesting.

I love this one from Puck, from a black and white image:

Happy Easter everyone!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Many will hate this but Doris looks so much like Renee Zellweger as the rabbitt. Before Renee got a new face:(

webmaster

Did she? I haven't seen her in any films for awhile. Always liked her.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

She has a new Bridget Jones coming out this year. After her singing in Chicago she could play a great Doris.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Wonderful banner ha, ha, ha face Doris priceless
HAPPY EASTER!
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

webmaster

Love that! Thank you Ania - what would we do without you? :)

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Easter reminds us that hope must never be lost for as dark as the road may seem, there always lies light at the end of it. May all your prayers be fulfilled. May you have a pleasant Easter!

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube