Doris Day Forum Banners 2016

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
puck
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2016

Unread post by puck »

Thank you Bryan and everyone for those lovely words, I do love " Love me or leave me" pictures and banners.
Great job Bryan you have done on the pictures, do love it. Thank you for placing the image as banner.
I was also in shock that Trump won, you put the right banner, Good Luck America, "Whatever will be will be" .

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great banner - very apt!

Bryan- I have done all my comments on FB and am shocked, saddened, and many things- it is not just good luck USA- good luck to the World - we shall see...

I have never seen so many horrible posts on social media - mostly from those on Trump side [and some from this forum and previous members who left because they were "offended" by a risqué comment - yet fully supported Trump - go figure! ] - !

The only positive at this stage that I can find out of all of it- is that if Trump had lost, his side would not be protesting in a civil manner [as I think - so far- Hilary's side are] - there would have been possible civil war in America had he lost and an element of his clan would have caused absolute horror and havoc in America.

I truly pray for America and for us all - we shall see... as someone said to me - the far right in America could not fathom having to deal with a female in the WhiteHouse directly after a black man!

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks Jas - very interesting. I heard one Trump supporter say that if they lost they would be marching on the White House - armed!

And Nigel Farage said on TV over here last week that if Brexit didn't take place there would be civil unrest on a scale that people had never seen before! So we've both got our divided countries issue in common.

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Bryan and Peter for The Pajama Game banner. I had forgotten about this scene. It is so interesting looking at the expression on Doris' face.
The girl holding the pop bottle ( it looks like a Pepsi ) looks really interesting as well. The black and white in the banner adds to the intensity of the scene.
I want to wish America a successful and peaceful new administration. President Obama will go down in history as one of America's greatest presidents. His intelligence, wisdom and grace are inspiring.
I am thankful for Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. He leads with intelligence, honour and kindness.

The expression that comes to mind is " A person's character is their fate." I believe there is a great deal of truth in this saying.

Abraham Lincoln said "A house divided against itself cannot stand". June 16 1858
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great Banner - love Pajama Game.

Bryan- I have no doubt the Trump supporter was telling the truth in what they said!

Johnny - yes, you are so right about President Obama - the "right" will never say it but boy- he personifies class elegance and everything [to me] that is good about the great USA- what a President, of course Trump is going to trump almost every order Obama ever put through [mostly rights to minorities] isn't that a very Christian way from the Christian Democrats? I hope you get my sarcasm! :mrgreen:

webmaster

Some comments from a forum member who's opinion I respect:
I started to post my thoughts on the forum, but then decided that contacting you privately was more appropriate.
One aspect of the forum that I like is that it offers such a nice change from things that are not always pleasant. Here in the U.S., that includes having been subjected to nearly two years of unrelenting daily news about very contentious politics. Whether Democrat or Republican, every American I've talked to agrees on one thing: We were all so tired of this long, divisive campaign and are very relieved that the election is finally over, regardless of the result. Personally, if I hear or read any more political comments, my head is going to explode!!
Seriously, a collateral benefit of the forum is that it's really an antidote to negativity; it provides a temporary escape from the world's cares. Because of that, I might suggest that members refrain from posting opinions of a political nature.
I'll just say in my/our defense that I think we've been very disciplined in not mentioning politics at all in the past year and have only made a few comments in the past day or so, however, in general, I agree and am happy to move on and leave the politics in the 'real world'. :) Is that ok with people?

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I agree that probably everyone in the USA is saturated with the past 18 months of divisive campaigning, but it's also a bit disingenuous to ignore it completely, especially on election day. The few comments I've seen have been non-partisan and respectful. But I don't think we want to open up the public part of the forum for political discussions or debate. Those discussions would become contentious eventually and ruin the forum for many. If you want to create a space for political topics, I suppose you could permit them in the Members Only section, but my gut tells me that is risky. Differences of political opinion could quickly erupt into heated arguments that would spill into other areas. I'd hate to see that happen. This space provides a welcome escape from the real world and it should remain focused on Doris Day the entertainer and her work IMO.

But what do I know?

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Thanks for that, Michael,

Re: " If you want to create a space for political topics, I suppose you could permit them in the Members Only section, but my gut tells me that is risky..."

That did occur to me but I thought 'perhaps not' for the reasons you gave, but I think there is merit in (but not in the banners section) some non-partisan discussion. I'm sure, for example, we all understand the feelings of people who were protesting against (personal) years of stagnation and unemployment - the reason the UK voted by a small majority (52% to 48%) to leave the European Union. I remember when it was easy to find a job, now it's very hard and the majority of people live from paycheck to paycheck and millions rely on benefits to top-up low incomes - and a growing phenomena, food banks (1 million three-day food supplies given out in the past year in the UK). Basically the rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer and the politicians have failed us - that's the story behind the story - and nothing to do personally with Trump or Clinton, Cameron or May.

:lol:

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

What a wonderful and inspiring With Six You Get Eggroll! The caption really puts a button on the subject of politics.
The discussions on Doris Day bring out the best in everyone. It is a feel- good experience. I agree with you Bryan, the quoted forum member and Michael, respecting people's feelings is essential.

The credo for this forum is "Treat others as you wish to be treated." The subjects of politics and religion are personal belief systems and are best kept personal. The occasional comments have been respectful.
The Doris Day Forum is a joy for us all.Thank you to everyone for such a great experience.
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks Johnny.

That's my new favourite font! It's called Air Carter. 8)

Looking forward to Christmas with Doris - we'll have to play her Christmas songs on here and I came across some great Xmas banners done by Ania - and I'm sure Puck will be contributing too. :)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great banner.

I agree Bryan, we have been very measured re the US election and in fact didn't mention it at all until your comment on the matter- of course, anything political should go in another area but for the most part - we are here for DD-

on a final note -[well 2]

1. I don't like people trying to "police" the forum - free speech and all that- I've already been contacted personally by the person I think your [anonymous] post is from -

2.- We are here for DD and anything we know about her - I just know from her values she would not and could not support Mr Trump.

End of my political comments on here so Barbara and the likes don't have to worry about being "offended."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Johnny wrote:What a wonderful and inspiring With Six You Get Eggroll banner! The caption really puts a button on the subject of politics.

The discussions on Doris Day bring out the best in everyone. It is a feel- good experience. I agree with you Bryan, the quoted forum member and Michael, respecting people's feelings is essential.

The credo for this forum is "Treat others as you wish to be treated." The subjects of politics and religion are personal belief systems and are best kept personal. The occasional comments have been respectful.
The Doris Day Forum is a joy for us all.Thank you to everyone for such a great experience.
Johnny

webmaster

I don't like people trying to "police" the forum - free speech and all that- I've already been contacted personally by the person I think your [anonymous] post is from
You're wrong there, Jas, old boy. And they weren't trying to police the forum, just pleading for a break from politics! Free speech and all that. :wink:

We'll get there in the end.......

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Great banner Bryan. And I'm agree, free speech for all.

* Johnny wrote:
What a wonderful and inspiring With Six You Get Eggroll banner! The caption really puts a button on the subject of politics.

I do love the "Pajama Game" banner.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

I like that grocery store scene from With Six You Get Eggroll. Clever caption over it, too, Bryan.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Doris had great chemistry with Brian Keith, who never gets the recognition he deserves as one of her best leading men. They had a slow burn kind of interplay that fit the older but wiser characters they played. I love the way Doris turns around at the end of this scene and checks him out as he is walking away. Don't know if that was scripted or not, but it said so much about her character's attraction to him.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Well,so saddening,but a cheerful note,as I was having lunch in Canterbury yesterday,I felt a warm glow as I heard "secret love" on the speaker.The whole cd was on and the people were very funny.Very relaxed.I did enjoy that lunch and the atmosphere.Yes we all have our opinion,I can see D.Trump visiting the queen......
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

webmaster

Thanks Dorine.

From Puck:

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan and Puck for this striking Doris photo. It looks like it is from The Tunnel of Love era.
Doris looks as beautiful in white lace as she does in Midnight Lace.
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks Johnny - I think you're right about The Tunnel of Love - the hairstyle gives it away!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Looks like the dress she wears during her "Skidaddle Skidoo" number. Lovely portrait and a wonderful colorization, Puck.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Wonderful banner, oh, those amazing blue eyes Doris

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Thanks Howard and Ania. Here's a closer look:

A 'cartoon' version:

Welcome to another week in Doris Day Land! :)

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Wonderful creation Bryan, great work, I only colored the picture and you create just a amazing banner, thank you !

webmaster

Thanks for your great artwork as always, Puck.

Classic Doris from the fifties, looks like 'The Tunnel of Love' era again:

Below is one I was working on but rejected as a banner - she looks very sad there but I think it's interesting anyway (animal charity press conference, 1971), what do you think?