Doris Day Forum Banners 2016

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2016

Unread post by Musiclover »

I like the one you were working on, Bryan. It shows a lot of emotion . . . and the hat is great.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan and Puck for the warm and cheerful Doris banner.

I like the "I Remember You" banner. I find Doris' serious looks illuminates other aspects of her personality that contrasts the thousands of her beautiful smiling images.

Looking at her photos in Storm Warning, Young Man With A Horn, Love Me Or Leave Me, Julie, and Midnight Lace give insights into Doris' complexity as an artist and an individual. Have you noticed her smiles in these films are subdued compared to her high-voltage beaming smiles in her comedies?

Thanks for all the wonderful Doris banners.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Glad you like this one - it's got 'something', hasn't it? It looks like a painting.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

This is where the last banner came from - thought I'd go for a few fan magazine covers - and colours!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Love seeing Doris on the magazine covers and the interesting reminders about her contemporaries, James Garner, Kim Novak and Pat Boone.

On the inside covers of the David Kaufman book there are 24 Doris magazine covers. There are familiar magazines such as Modern Screen and Photoplay and unfamiliar ones such as Liberty, Parade, Movie Life and Screen Stories. There is a Chinese magazine cover.
Thank you!
Johnny

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Bryan, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this new banner and think I have that magazine somewhere - it is awesome...you did a marvelous job.
By now you may have heard about the special 'Collector's Edition' from CLOSER magazine ALL ABOUT DORIS! I think this is the first time CLOSER has done a special edition on one celebrity - PEOPLE and others have done a special edition usually after someone passed, but this is out now and on stands until February 2017. Great pictures and covers her whole life....it is a real collector's item. CLOSER usually does a weekly magazine and has always done very POSITIVE stories on Doris every few months. Hope you can secure a copy.
Again, I LOVE this new banner...thanks for ALL you do.
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Unread post by Tybear2015 »

Hello all! Thank you Bryan, i love this banner of Doris on the cover of Silver Screen Magazine. Doris of course is beautiful and it is a huge reminder of Doris's much deserved popularity that continues today. I hope Doris knows how much she is loved worldwide.

Tybear

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great banner.

webmaster

Thanks MA, Tybear and Jas. I think these covers capture 'the golden age of movie magazines' too and Doris was on countless covers, the 1950s being her defining decade.

Here's another - also trying to ramp-up the colour - about a dozen to go!

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Another beautiful magazine cover featuring our fabulous Doris. Thank you Bryan, you always seem to choose the perfect pictures of Doris that stimulate conversation and bring out interesting facts from all the great members of this awesome forum. Ive said it before and it bears reapeating, this is my happy place. I love it here. I wish i had joined a long time ago. Thanks for allowing me to be a member!

Tybear

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Fantastic banner, simply beautiful, amazing colors Thanks:)

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Thanks Tybear & Ania - glad you're enjoying the magazine covers - here's another:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

"Tab Hunter your most romantic bachelor" - oh the bliss of ignorance lol - Love Tab and love the documentary a year or two ago about his life and journey. He is still with us and doing well.

webmaster

That's good to know, Jas. They don't use the word bachelor much these days - or spinster - thankfully!

I wonder why they didn't include Doris in the list of Hollywood Blondes? Or maybe they were referring to what they used to call the (Hollywood Blonde) 'sex kittens'? :lol: Shouldn't the pecking order be Marilyn, Kim & Anita?

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Great movie magazine banner! The photo of Doris looks like it is from The Pajama Game era.

It is wonderful to see the story headlines of the time and the names of Marilyn, Kim. Anita and Tab. This prompted the question about what stars of today will be remembered fifty years from now.

Meryl Streep, George Clooney, Cate Blanchett, Brad Pitt, Denzel Washington, Helen Mirren, Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence are the first names that come to mind.

Thanks Bryan!
Johnny

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

Love the magazine covers, they make great banners. Nice to read the reply's here too. Thanks for making this forum so attractive, love to come back here (every Day)

Keep up the good work!!!

P

webmaster

Thanks Peter, that's nice to know! :wink:

To your list of current stars who'll be remembered in 50 years, Johnny, I started to add some names:
Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, Daniel Day-Lewis, Johnny Depp, Christian Bale... but the more you start to name people the more you leave out! Jack Nicholson...

100 Greatest Fim Stars of All Time - both actors and actresses (Doris is there):

http://www.filmsite.org/100greatfilmstars6.html

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan for the filmsite.org 100 great film stars all- time. There is so much fascinating information. It is terrific resource material.
Johnny

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Love this banner Bryan! Doris is like a breath of fresh air. Her sunny personality spreads sunshine even on the darkest days. Thank you Bryan!

Tybear

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

Love the current magazine banner, I have a copy of that one! But I really dig this one:
1960 Life

P

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Doris has such an interesting and different look in this Photoplay magazine banner. The black and white striped hooded top gives Doris a sophisticated look that was popular in the 1940's and reminds me of Rita Hayworth.

The magazine cover appears to be from July 1956. Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis stopped working together in this year.

Who would think you could buy Photoplay for 20 cents? What a bargain!

Thanks Bryan.
Johnny

webmaster

Thank you all - and thanks for the date (year) Johnny, it usually just has the month on there. This one mentions 'Please Don't Eat the Daisies', so I think it's likely to be 1960:

Quotes (IMdB)
David Mackay: "Gee, Ma, you act as if we were monsters or something".
Kate Mackay (Day): "Well, you are. You're just lucky that I happen to be peculiar and love monsters".

Deborah Vaughn (Paige): "I'm thinking of going
[pauses while waiter leaves drinks]
Deborah Vaughn: ...on the make for you".
[Laurence (Niven) stares]
Deborah Vaughn: "Shock technique: Effective, isn't it?"
Laurence Mackay: "Staggering. But why?"
Deborah Vaughn: "The usual; I like the way you look."
Laurence Mackay: "Since when?"
Deborah Vaughn: "Does it have to be retroactive?"

Laurence Mackay: "She doesn't like being awake in the day? What is she, a vampire bat?"

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I love this Doris magazine cover. I have commented before on what an important movie, Please Don't Eat The Daisies is to me. It was the last film I saw with my both my parents before the loss of my mother in December of that year. We saw Daisies at the Hollywood theater in April 1960 on a visit to Toronto .

Bryan, I love the sharp and funny quotes you included. They reminded me of my British father remarking several times in a rather dry tone as we teased him incessantly, that my brothers and I must have fallen out of a clown car, driven by my mother's side of the family. This never failed to make us howl with laughter.

I haven't thought of Tuesday Weld in a long time, she made a terrific film called Pretty Poison.

I love the look of laughter in Doris' eyes.
Johnny

webmaster

I can see why you remember the film, Johnny. :(

I guess many of us can associate a film or record of Doris' that places us in a past situation, particularly if you've been a lifelong fan, like a lot of us on here. "Daisies" is one of her best, I think.

Tuesday Weld: a friend of mine, a singer-composer, Stephen Coates, had a dream about her and named his band after her and called it "The Real Tuesday Weld". I often do mashups of their songs, here's one called "Torch Song" that I put to clips from a Betty Davis film, "The Letter" on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/bryanlondon

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Film and music are emotional memories for most of us. This is particularly true with Doris Day who brought so much good feelings, beauty and light into so many peoples' lives.

Thank you Bryan for posting The Real Tuesday Weld music. I really love Torched Song and the singer Josephine is fantastic. I love watching Bette Davis during the song. It is a perfect fit.
I also watched Pokerface. What a kick! Terrific!

Thank you again.
Johnny