Doris Day Forum Banners 2016

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2016

Unread post by Jas1 »

Another fabulous banner, that is my ideal DD - the whole look, style etc... - oh and welcome back Lauren . :P

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

This is a really warm and welcoming Doris banner from The Pajama Game to see on a winter's day. Thank you.
Johnny

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks. Staying with The Pajama Game:

Doris really got star billing on this!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Welcome back Lauren, did miss you, and just again a fabulous banner, color our life in these dark days bright and shining, thank you Bryan.

webmaster

Thanks Puck. Check out this illustrated blog review:

Fabulous Films of the '50s: the Pajama Game (1957)

What Doris Day brought to the movie was bigger than her apple pie sex appeal and a buttery voice capable of producing hit records.
In his new book, Dangerous Rhythm (Oxford University Press, 2014), author Richard Barrios writes, “The Pajama Game gave definitive proof that movie-star casting can sometimes be the best thing to happen to a filmed version of a Broadway show… Day’s natural physicality enabled her to move from speaking to singing not only smoothly, but with a uniquely vigorous conviction…” She lights up the screen, delivering one of her best performances as the strong, confident - and sexy - Babe Williams."
Read More: http://en.paperblog.com/fabulous-films- ... 57-901658/

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Thanks for posting this, Bryan. Good reading!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Bryan for sharing this really interesting post. Richard Barrios assessment of The Pajama Game as being forgotten and underappreciated is absolutely correct. The film does get the historical attention and recognition it deserves. I think it is consistent with the under- appreciation of Doris Day as a multi-talented legend.
Johnny

webmaster

Cheers!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Very nice banner Bryan as usual. The song Once A Year Day could be played for her yearly Birthday Appearance on her Birthday. Doris made living on the other side of the tracks chic. She made the beer drinking, factory worker so appealing in a modest house near the railroad tracks. She shines in any setting if its an upscale career gal or working Mother as in It Happended To Jane .

webmaster

Thanks Ray. I was thinking about 'Once A Year Day' earlier. I have a group of old friends from the 80s I see about once a year and I was thinking of mentioning that for next year on my Christmas cards to them!

I never get tired of The Pajama Game - probably as I've only seen it on TV once and that was about 10 years ago. Wonder why it's not shown? It's always on the stage and performed by amature groups so I think people would like to see it,

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Thank you Bryan, Interesting post, and the musical was made some years ago here in our theater, saw it too late when I read the local neswpaper, but I fully agree with what he said about Doris, she lights up the screen, and delives one of her best roles, just like many other she did play, she always search for perfection, that is way she is the best actress ever.
Great banner.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Thanks for this link, Bryan. Doris was just perfection in the role. Maybe you should ask Santa for a DVD of the film!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

This is a wonderful and interesting Pajama Game banner!

Looking at the background, there is a pendulum clock, a dressmaker form,flowered wallpaper and frilly curtains with Doris in a blue gingham apron that creates a detailed story for Doris' character, Babe Williams to be believable as a pajama factory supervisor.

This banner showing Doris' character crying made me think about her other films where she cried.

Some films I recall are:

Storm Warning
Young At Heart
Love Me or Leave Me
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Pillow Talk
Midnight Lace
Move Over Darling
Johnny

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Bryan: You asked why we don't see "Pajama Game" on television: Here is a post I made here back in 2008:

Pajama Game" mystery solved!
by howard » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:30 am

I've often wondered why a great film like "The Pajama Game" is never aired on television. After bugging Jim Pierson (MPI Video) for some time about it, he did an investigation, and he came up with the answer. Here 'tis:

WB only have HOME VIDEO rights. Although they "own" the film, Warners made an unfortunate deal on Pajama Game and Damn Yankess where the underlying rights have to be renegotiated with the original owners of the stage musical source. The recent TV climate for old movies hasn't made it feasible to renew the films for that medium. At least they are on DVD...

That's a direct quote from his e-mail to me. It's too bad because it's one of DD's best musical films!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Howard for the background on The Pajama Game film rights. This film is a great classic that should be available to today's audience.

I believe there are many other great classic films that are caught up in the same restrictions. One of these is the 1951 film, The Blue Veil with Jane Wyman and Joan Blondell who were nominated for Academy Awards. It would be interesting to have a list of films that are caught in the same dilemma

It would be a great gift if classic film lovers could advocate for these films to go mainstream in a market like Turner Classic films. I have written several times to Turner Classics requesting Midnight Lace, Back Street (1961) and The Blue Veil be shown. I met with success
with the first two and keep hoping to see the other.

These wonderful classic films were made for an audience to appreciate and need to be available for public viewing on an ongoing basis. They are cultural landmarks.
Johnny

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

Love The Pajama Game, it's a joyfull film... Doris breezes through it with John and all the others. Love the songs, liked the delete scene also of "The Man Who Invented Love". Love to have her complete rendition of "Hey There" on disc. Think she sings it beautiful, but not long enough!

Enjoy the banners also, thanks for sharing!

P

webmaster

Thanks all - and Judy, I do have the DVD but there's something about watching it 'live' on TV!

I liked the songwriter Richard Adler (The Man Who Invented Love) story of working with Doris:

Richard Adler, songwriter for the play and movie wrote in his autobiography, You Gotta Have Heart, that his experiences with Doris Day were divine:

“I was actually trembling as I approached the Warner Brothers lot on the first full morning of work. But once I was there, time seemed to collapse. It was home; it was natural; it was almost easy. The film was already deeply into pre-production; Mr. Abbott was working with Stanley Donen, who would be co-directing the film; Bob Fosse was recreating the dances; the film was adhering very closely to the original.

"My task was to train the ensemble and Doris Day, who was playing the Janis Paige role. A mass of freckles and beauty and good spirits, she was a genuinely sweet person, and a joy to work with. She had an agile mind, and a sure musical sense, and teaching the songs to her was a breeze."

It was so natural that a couple of day into rehearsal, I thought why not give her a new song, one I’d write myself? It would help her, help me, and possibly help my future. So, I sat down with my tape recorder and then with a musical secretary, and wrote a ballad for her called The Man Who Invented Love. She loved it. It lay in her range, it had nice lyrics and what was most important, it was right for both her and the character.

I played it for Mr. Abbott and Stanley Donen, and they liked it, too. It was a sure bet for the film, a breakthrough for me. My career was slowly re-engaging its gears. What I didn’t know at the time, nor did anyone else, was the ultimate fate of the song. It would never be heard. It would end up on the proverbial cutting-room floor.” – Richard Adler

Now, what Mr. Adler didn’t know then is that when the DVD version of The Pajama Game was released, The Man Who Invented Love was included as an extra feature, and it is lovely indeed! It WAS finally rescued from the cutting room floor.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Bryan for the great Richard Adler story on the song, "The Man Who Invented Love",.. The lesson from the story is to never stop believing something good will happen.
Johnny

webmaster

Cheers Johnny - feel free to carry on talking about The Pajama Game if you want to, everyone.

I came across this image of Doris in a wedding dress. It looked so dramatic I had to do something with it!
I wasn't sure how to approach it, given Doris' marital history and her comments about marriage later.
(Personally, I'm neutral.) So I tried to think of a caption: "Marriage is a great institution - but who wants to live in an institution?", etc.
Then something that rhymed:
"Al, George, Marty and Barry
Which of them should I marry?
I'll try them all and see if one
can help me find happiness and fun.
I tried and tried, I even tickled,
but soon their love was really pickled.
So I left them all, one at a time
And went back to those 4-leggers of mine!"

No, I thought, best to let the image speak for itself! - it will mean different things to different people.

It looks beautiful in black and white too. :)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Beautiful bride.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

I like the black & white image. Clever verse, Bryan . . . maybe you're the next Ogden Nash!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I love the great photo and fun poem, Bryan.
I am trying to think of the films when Doris wore a wedding dress. The ones that come to mind are:
It's A Great Feeling
By The Light of The Silvery Moon
Calamity Jane
Johnny

webmaster

I hadn't heard of Ogden Nash, Judy - I did a search and found a sample verse - I see what you mean! :lol:

"To keep your marriage brimming
With love in the loving cup,
Whenever you’re wrong, admit it;
Whenever you’re right, shut up".
- Ogden Nash

Or got married, Johnny - Move Over Darling? The Winning Team?

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

This is from It's A Great Feeling, when Judy marries Jeffrey Bushdinkle. AKA, Errol Flynn.

Lovely photo.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Magic photo absolutely fantastic banner LOVE IT

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥