Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Tybear2015
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

Unread post by Tybear2015 »

Love these banners love this film! I live Doris in suspense drama, and comedy. She is so awesome. I hope she's doing well. I miss hearing about her.

Tybear

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan and Puck for the wonderful Julie banner.

Although Doris' character Julie was a woman in peril chased by a murderous, possessive husband, Julie triumphed in the end by taking charge of passenger plane and courageously flying it successfully to a safe landing.

In 1956, it was a rare occurrence for a woman to fly a large passenger plane. I wonder what women were saying about this at the time.

It has been said several times in this forum that it would have enhanced the film if Julie had been filmed in Colour. I completely agree seeing the magnificent Carmel in Colour would have given Julie the brightness it needed.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Beautiful Julie banner.

Agree entirely with Michael's comments about Marty and how he influenced DD's career to fabulous heights in the mid to late 50s.

Bryan i disagree any agent could have done this- he was her husband too and she trusted him entirely - entirely! So he had great influence in even persuading Doris to travel - to do the Man who knew too much, or, to go totally against type in Love me or leave me- he cushioned her in ways no agent could have done and that seemed to be essential for Doris in those days.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

LOVE the lush banner from Puck and Bryan.

The film itself is pretty silly to the point of being camp. The characters are one dimensional, stock figures and Andrew Stone's direction is hyperactive from start to finish. There is no attempt to build or modulate the suspense or explain why Lyle is so obsessed with Julie. It opens on a hysterical note with Julie desperately trying to escape and careens from one close call to the next, sort of like Road Runner and Bugs Bunny but without the technicolor animation or the humor.

Doris was capable of projecting raw emotion on screen, but here she is reduced to a breathless hysteria that sometimes made her character look silly. I've said this before but I don't enjoy watching her play the helpless victim. She had an innate strength and intelligence that made her less convincing when she was reduced to a passive role. And that voiceover narration - spelling out every detail about what she was feeling, thinking, planning ....with an actress of Doris' depth, none of that was necessary. You could see it in her eyes and hear it her line readings.

On the other hand, I liked the intoxicating chemistry between Doris and Jourdan and the crisp black and white cinematography. Yes, it would have been wonderful to see this shot in glorious technicolor in sunny Carmel, but the BW suits the noir, B movie groove they were going for.

Another thing about Doris though - she played each and every scene as honestly as she possibly could. I don't think any of her contemporaries could have pulled-off the plane landing as well as Doris. Maybe that was because she was never condescending towards her character. A deal was a deal and she took full ownership, once the cameras were rolling.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Michael, I agree totally with your comments on the meaningless voiceover narration in Julie. It undermines Doris' fine raw performance. I did not see Julie as film noir because there seemed to be little or no mystery.

It is surprising that the writing- original screenplay for Julie received an Academy Award nomination while Doris' next film The Pajama Game was completely ignored by the Academy.

Reading the comments on Doris' husband and agent Martin Melcher' reputation in Hollywood, the following quote came to mind.
Quote On Greed
Quote On Greed
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks, Tybear, Jas, Michael, and Johnny.

Being a bit of a cynic I suspect that Marty was trying to maximize profits by filming it in black and white.
A review on the main website echoes your comments below, although David Kaufman praised it as a great film noir.

WOES OF JULIE: Doris Day, as well as movie, in trouble. (New York Times)
“Doris Day, who was pretty tense and breathless all the way through The Man Who Knew Too Much, is again tense and breathless in Julie. This time, her state of anxiety is caused by an insane husband who intends to remove her from circulation because she knows that he murdered her former spouse. This is a lot of tension to expect any woman to bear, so if Miss Day seems to look a little frazzled toward the end, you can understand. And if the accumulation of trouble seems to pile up unmercifully, too, you can put the blame for both disorders upon the writer-director, Andrew L. Stone."
Although it does go on to praise it somewhat: http://www.dorisday.net/julie/

Louis Jordan reminds me of Dracula in the image above - and I think he played him in a film or a TV film?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

Next Best Film's of Doris Day, It Happened to Jane. (It's so hot in London!)

Doris Day gets ready for a scene in It Happened to Jane.
On face value, It Happened to Jane looks like just another one of those Doris Day movies where she is paired up with an adequately handsome and charming male lead and then a mix of fun and romance ensues. But whereas the likes of Pillow Talk and Lover Come Back had a good romantic streak, It Happened to Jane is more of a comedy and a surprisingly good one thanks to both Doris Day and Jack Lemmon on fine form when it comes to having fun.
http://www.dorisday.net/it-happened-to-jane/

jmichael
Honorary Member

This one is a bit of head scratcher. It didn't connect with audiences and I've never understood why it wasn't more popular. Maybe the plot was too dated and Capra-esque for the late 1950's when tastes were changing so quickly. Or maybe the quaint Maine setting and lobster business didn't appeal to audiences outside of New England.

I've always considered this a pleasant, family friendly comedy with winning performances from Doris, jack Lemmon and Ernie Kovaks. Some believe that Lemmon was Doris' best leading man and they do have wonderful chemistry together. Lemmon had that likability factor that Doris does. He was a smart, intense actor yet he was very relatable too. Like Doris, he segued from comedy to drama without missing a beat and his acting style was effortlessly natural.

I wish this film had received more love at the box-office, but it's failure may have been the tipping point for Marty / Doris to seek more sophisticated films going forward. We may have Jane to thank for opening the door to Pillow Talk and what followed.

Too bad Doris and Jack never found another film to star in - something with a bit more grit and substance.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Michael, your post on It Happened To Jane prompted me to look at other 1959 film comedies.

Some of the 1959 comedies:

Some Like It Hot
It Started With A Kiss
The Gazebo
A Hole In The Head
Carry On Nurse
Carry On Teacher
Pillow Talk
The Shaggy Dog
The Mating Game
Operation Petticoat
Alias Jesse James
Ask Any Girl

With the exceptions of Some Like It Hot, rated by AFI as the #1 comedy of all time, Pillow Talk and the British wave of Carry On films, the films are not very memorable.

Some of the critics' reviews on It Happened To Jane from the past fifteen years read:

"A fun family period movie"
"A surprising delight"
"Well written, acted, and produced"
"Any day that starts with Doris Day is a good day"
"One of the most underrated of Doris Day films"

On Rotton Tomatoes the audience rating is 48%.

Perhaps the audience was inundated with a glut of romantic film comedies or the interest was captivated by the popular British slapstick comedies.

It Happened To Jane was released July 14-1959 and Pillow Talk was released October 7-1959. Pillow Talk stars Doris Day and Rock Hudson were described by a Time film critic as "Two bright shiny Cadillacs side by side" The New York Times put Pillow Talk in the 1959 top 10 list. It appears that the audience taste was shifting back to sophisticated, witty, comedies similar to the ones in the 1930's that starred William Powell, Myrna Loy, Carole Lombard, Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers.

Interestingly Doris Day was ranked #4 on the top 10 box office draws in 1959. The success of Pillow Talk put her in #1 spot in 1960 and Rock Hudson in #2.

Bryan, thank you for being the catalyst that puts the spotlight for discussion on a worthy film such as It Happened To Jane. The banner is beautiful.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

If you want a peek at part of the backstory of It Happened to Jane, search "Norman Katkov oral history." This is a transcript of an interview with Katkov, who co-wrote the screenplay. Below the photo of Richard Crenna is a series of questions, and beginning at about the 10th one, Katkov discussed this particular writing project.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Johnny, thanks for sharing the info about the other comedies released in 1959. There really wasn't any dominant theme or style and certainly Jane was as good or better than several on your list.

I just scanned the Norman Katkov oral history that Judy mentioned. He had an interesting resume, mostly as a writer in television dramas. It also says that he wrote for The Doris Day Show, his only sitcom credit. Thanks Judy!

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

I think you're right, Michael, the plot was too dated. It was the late 50s (filmed in 1958 in fact) when people were rockin' and rollin' and just before the 60s revolution in music and films.

I wonder if the 'Jane' in the title harked back to Calamity Jane (as they tried to sell The Ballad of Josie many years later). There was an element (tomboy?) of that in the part Doris played. Plus maybe not enough sex for the times? :)

We're having a heatwave in London, today was the hottest day for 40 years (35 degrees C) and it's really uncomfortable, so forgive me if I'm not thinking straight. It should cool down a bit soon so I'll be abe to face my PC again.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Wow, do miss a lot, great banners and do love it, I been on a summer holidays for three weeks in Spain, and there is only wifi at the reception. But watch the forum when ever I can. Love you all.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Welcome home Puck. Hope you had a great holiday.

webmaster

Yes, welcome back, Puck! :)

Moving on the last film in the section and one of my favorites: Jumbo:

Doris Day was nominated as “Best actress in a musical or comedy” at the Hollywood Foreign Press Awards but lost to Rosalind Russell for Gypsy. She did, however, walk away with the evening’s coveted World’s Most Popular Film Actress accolade again."
http://www.dorisday.net/jumbo/

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Billy Rose's Jumbo is one of Doris Day's best musicals. It is filled with energy, wonderful songs, an authentic story on circus life, a powerhouse supporting cast including Stephen Boyd, Jimmy Durante and Martha Raye and the amazing elephant Jumbo.

It is unfortunate that Billy Rose's Jumbo was not given the recognition it deserved. If it had been released in the 1950's it may have drawn a larger audience. It did gain in popularity when it was shown on television.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

I love this movie too.

JUMBO opened at Radio City Music Hall in NYC during a newspaper strike, which meant that critical reviews and promotional ads for the film weren't seen by the public. This hurt the box-office and the film was generally considered a commercial disappointment. It's a shame because it was one of MGM's last big musicals with lavish production values, topflight choreography and a superlative musical score. Chuck Walters, who directed Doris in Daisies, did a wonderful job and Busby Berkley's superb choreography sadly marked the end of his illustrious film career.

Doris sparkled as Kitty Wonder and demonstrated her amazing vocal chops on several Rodgers and Hart ballads. Her versions of My Romance and Little Girl Blue were outstanding. Streisand often refers to herself as an actress who sings, but here, Doris Day showed everyone that phrase was meant for her. Jimmy Durante almost stole the movie as Pop Wonder ("What elephant?") and Martha Raye was a riot as lovelorn Lulu. I am particularly fond of the wistful duet that she sang with Doris, "Why Can't I?", which became a highlight of this delightful film.

Doris was nominated for a Best Actress In a Musical or Comedy Golden Globe but lost to Rosalind Russell in Gypsy. That was another unfair outcome as far as the JUMBO legacy goes. Russell was miscast as Mama Rose, while Doris was perfection as Kitty Wonder and should have walked away with the award.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Very insightful comments, Michael. Novelist Sidney Sheldon wrote the screenplay, his last film musical before turning to write only for television. Having won Writers' Guild of America awards for doing the screenplays for EASTER PARADE and ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, he was nominated (but didn't win) that award for JUMBO.

webmaster

Michael wrote: "I am particularly fond of the wistful duet that she (Martha Raye) sang with Doris, "Why Can't I?", which became a highlight of this delightful film."
That really touched a cord, Michael, I found it such a moving song for some reason. Perhaps because Doris and Martha sing it with such expression and friendship, it's almost heartbreaking in an uplifting way, if that's possible.

I was going to leave it at that and then I thought, "I think I uploaded it somewhere many years ago" and remembered that I had to Dailymotion 10 years ago in 2007:

Listen and enjoy: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22rch ... -t-i_music

jmichael
Honorary Member

Thanks for this, Bryan.

This number gives both characters a chance to express romantic longing through song. It brings them closer and gives them another dimension. We see that Kitty is more than the chipper superwoman of the big top and Lulu is more than a loud, boisterous cut-up. I would never have predicted that Doris and Martha's voices would blend so well together.

Michael
Michael H

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Great banner and movie, because for me all the movies with Doris are great

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree that duet with Martha Raye was a highlight in Jumbo- they both sounded magnificent and what a high ending note! Beautiful. My only [slight] criticism is that Doris sings "lambs have ewes" as opposed to "rams have ewes."

webmaster

Well spotted, Jas. 8)
An adult female sheep is referred to as a ewe, an intact male as a ram or occasionally a tup, a castrated male as a wether, and a younger sheep as a lamb. - Sheep - Wikipedia
So obviously lambs can't have ewes! Wonder why that wasn't spotted? Probably because most people, like me, aren't familiar with the word ewe!

webmaster

Moving on to Doris Day's Best Films No 14, three films tie for this position, starting with
By the Light of the Silvery Moon.

A few reviews from when it was first released in 1953

Movie reviewer Leonard Maltin: Ames is wonderful as father thought to be romancing French actress, and Wickes is delightful as family maid. Blockbuster Entertainment Guide to Movies and Videos (1997) describes the film as a nostalgic family musical with cheerful Americana, nicely served by adorable leads and excellent supporting cast.

New York Herald Tribune: The movie is a spun-sugar musical, prettily pink to go with the season of bunnies, lilies and new bonnets, generous-looking in Technicolor. The blonde and energetic Miss Day is at her best when she winds up for a song, and she certainly does justice to the musical material in between the romantic tiffs which are her role in this movie.

Variety: The entertainment is excellent, the star names of Doris Day and Gordon MacRae good. Miss Day and MacRae make a strong pairing to put over the romantic, comedic and musical moments of the film.

Screenland: As harmless as tiddly winks and as gay as its Technicolor lensing, this Doris Day-Gordon MacRae starrer continues the small town Americana pattern established in On Moonlight Bay. Lots of fun, with a spoof and a song evident in David Butler’s directing."

http://www.dorisday.net/by-the-light-of ... lvery-moon

But what do YOU think of it?

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

The first response I have when I see By The Light Of The Silvery Moon is showing on TCM is I must watch it again to look for my many favouite moments.
The characters are people anyone would like to know and spend time with. Starting with wisecracking Stella (Mary Wickes) who delights in every scene. Long-suffering, lovable Mr Winfield as the father (Leon Ames) is hilarious in his frustrations with Wesley. Doris Day is the light, charm and heart of By The Light of The Silvery Moon. Doris radiates warmth and beauty in each song she sings with Gordon McRae. Little brother Wesley adds zest to every scene with his misguided, mischievous imagination and childhood dreams. I must admit Wesley remains my favouite character because he makes me laugh so hard.

Taking time to watch By The Light Of The Silvery Moon makes one' day better. We all need reminding to appreciate the importance of family and friends that we see in this film. Although it is a period film, the love and caring transcends generations. It will always remain a favorite with me.
Johnny