Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

Unread post by webmaster »

Perhaps, as it's getting close to Doris being honored by her home town (city) of Cincinnati on Sept 27th, we should talk about Doris' life in Cincinnati?

Has anyone ever been there? Does her original home still stand? (From someone in Europe, it seems as far away as the moon.)

Given the revised birth date, how old was Doris when she went to Hollywood with her dance partner, Jerry, had the car-train collision, started singing locally, left Cincinnati, etc?

Was her mother, Alma, still living in Cincinnati when Doris brought Terry 'home' and Alma looked after him? When did Alma/Doris/Terry leave Cincinnati for good?

I should probably read David Kaufman's book? But if people can share what they know we all be the wiser.

Will update the banner soon with what I know so far.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bryan,

According to David Kaufman's book, the car crash with the train happened on October 13-1937 which would make Doris fifteen with the 1922 birth date. Doris was convalescing for and least six months which would bring her to her sixteenth birthday in April 1938. It was not long after this she had her first job at the radio station.
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks, Johnny, that's a good start.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

A good idea, Bryan.

As a lifelong Californian, I've been to Cincinnati only once -- to change trains -- so I did a little research to answer your query about whether Doris's first home still stands. In her biography, she described it as a "two-family" red brick home at the corner of Greenlawn & Jonathan that had an attic and a basement. There is exactly that sort of home on the corner at 3474 Greenlawn in Cincinnati. It was built in 1917, and so I believe it is likely the right one. (A similar home is across the street, but it isn't identified as a multi-family residence like the one at 3474 is.)

She and her dance partner returned to Cincinnati from Hollywood just weeks before the car-train accident, which would put her at age 15 as Johnny noted. There are various reports in books by different authors about the Big Band era stating that she joined Bob Crosby's band in Chicago in April, 1940, the same month she turned 18, and that the band then went on the road immediately after leaving Chicago . . . so, Doris left Cincinnati for the first time at age 18. (She later lived there again for about a year before settling in California.)

Yes, her mother raised Terry in Cincinnati. According to Kaufman's book, a columnist reported in early July of 1948 about Terry's arrival in Hollywood. I'd assume that's when both he and Doris's mom left Ohio for good.

webmaster

Thanks, Judy, that's very useful information. I searched Google Maps for the address you gave of Doris' home. It's in a suburban residential area so, unsurprisingly, the house is still there.

Doris Day's home in Cincinnati:

3474 Greenlawn Avenue, Cincinnati (right)

3474 Greenlawn Avenue, Cincinnati (side view)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I've never been to Cincinnati - I get the impression however, that it is an area of America that has suffered a lot as the years have gone by - [within a Swing state] - where unemployment is an issue with industries dying - I get the impression it was a very different place when Doris was there- as she said in her book -it was very German with the beer gardens etc. and a very friendly home-town. My view of the City now - is totally just an impression - look forward to hearing from others who really know.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Thanks for posting those house photos, Bryan. I didn't know how to do that and was pretty sure somebody would post them if the address were known.

webmaster

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Judy.
Jas, from what I can gather it was more of a solid German community when Doris was growing up there, most of whom have moved now. Compared to the house many of us were brought up in, it's HUGE! They must have been 'upper middle class' financially, although that obviously changed when Doris' father left.

I came across this article on cincinnati.com

Doris Day fondly remembered Cincinnati childhood
In another life, Doris Kappelhoff may have lived quietly in Cincinnati and been content. In this life, she became the singer, movie star and girl-next-door Doris Day.

“I could have happily lived my entire life in Cincinnati, married to a proper Cincinnatian, living in a big old Victorian house, raising a brood of offspring, but preordination … had other plans for me,” Day said in her autobiography, “Doris Day: Her Own Story,” as told to A.E. Hotchner.

In the book, Day, who turned 95 on April 3, dispelled her reputation as a “goody two shoes” and revealed the hardships she has endured, starting with her childhood in Cincinnati.

She was born in 1922 at 3475 Greenlawn Avenue in Evanston. Her father was a music teacher, her mother a hausfrau, but they weren’t a good fit and they separated.

Day wrote fondly of taking dance lessons at Hessler’s in Mount Adams and going to the movies at the Albee Theater with her mother.

“My roots in Cincinnati go very deep,” Day wrote. “I didn’t leave there wanting to escape to someplace better. I only left because the tide of events washed me away.”

And she returned here when things didn’t turn out.

As teenagers, Day and her dance partner Jerry Doherty performed all over town. A trip to Hollywood convinced them to move out there to start a dancing career, but their dreams were not to be.

On Oct. 13, 1937, after a farewell party in Hamilton, Day was a passenger in a car that was hit by a train. She suffered compound fractures in her right leg, and doctors doubted she would ever dance again. She spent more than a year in a cast, hobbling on crutches.

While convalescing in Price Hill, Day developed her singing talent and started performing on the radio program “Carlin’s Carnival” and at Charlie Yee’s Shanghai Inn restaurant.

In 1939, bandleader Barney Rapp signed Day as a singer to replace his pregnant wife at his club, the Sign of the Drum on Reading Road. He thought Kappelhoff was too long for the marquee and suggested Doris Day because of the song “Day After Day.”

She told him, “It sounds like a headliner at the Gaiety Burlesque House. It sounds phony.”

The name stuck, though she has never cared for it. Her close friends instead call her Clara.

Day toured as a vocalist with big bands, then quit in 1941 to marry trombonist Al Jorden and have a baby. Jorden was abusive and the marriage was a disaster.

She and her son returned to Price Hill and she started singing on WLW. She became friends with another act, the Williams Brothers, and Andy Williams asked her to sing with them.

“Every Monday night I would go to the Williamses’ and his mother would fix hot chocolate and bake cookies and we’d have a songfest,” Day wrote. “Those Monday nights were part of what I enjoyed about life in Cincinnati.”

Day rejoined Les Brown’s band and in 1945 they recorded the song “Sentimental Journey,” which became a wartime hit. She went on to record a string of hit songs, including “Que Sera, Sera,” and conquered Hollywood as the top female box office star in films like “Pillow Talk” and “A Touch of Mink.”

Not all was sunny for Day. She told an interviewer: “All I ever wanted [was] … a baby, a husband who really loved me, a home, all the happiness that they could bring. I never got that.”
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/20 ... rom=global

Does that tie in with your information, Judy?

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Yes, it does -- with the exception of the house address. This account identifies it as 3475, but I deduced (incorrectly, it would seem) from the realty information that the likely house is 3474. Guess it's a good thing I don't make a living as a detective!

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Still no formal announcement from the city of Cincinnati or Doris' publicist. I hope this is legit.

Regarding her early years in Cincinnati, Doris sang with a number of local bands before she hit the big time with Les Brown.

Duke Schumann Band - 1938
Barney Rapp And the New Englanders - 1939
Jimmy James orchestra- 1940
Bob Crosby - 1940
Les Brown - 1940 to 1941
WLW on air vocalist -1942
Jimmy Wilbur and the Little Band - 1943
Les Brown - 1944 to 1947

I am guessing at some of the dates, so maybe someone can adjust the timeline to make it as accurate as possible. What I find so fascinating about this period is how busy she was. I mistakenly assumed that her Band days began with Bob Crosby and she quickly segued to major success with Les Brown. I often forget that she sang with several local bands which paved the way for her to hit the big time.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Thanks, Judy, I'll check out the street number.

Michael, here's the latest info I've received:
Hi, Bryan, I spoke to my City Council contact today and the current plan is for an initial event with a short video, posters, and showing of the street sign and snacks will be in a separate room beginning at 1pm. The formal vote and announcement will take place in City Council chambers at 2pm So I'll be telling my friends to be there at 1pm. Hope this helps. Keep up the good work, Bob
I didn't know there was a vote on it taking place but I gather it has full council support.

Cincinnati City Hall
801 Plum St, Cincinnati, OH 45202

Check for formal announcement nearer the time: http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cityofcincinnati/

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

Michael, regarding the different years in which Doris Day sang with the various bands, I believe that the Les Brown Years were from August 1940 to mid 1941 and from 1943 to 1946. Thanks for posting all the details on all the bands with whom Miss Day sang. Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

webmaster

The caption to the photo below said "Doris Day, 1940', which makes her 18 there - so this could be how she looked when she first left Cincinnati?

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Hi Bryan, I love the announcement you did with Doris and microphone - that is really special! Would be great to have a lot of people show up for this very special event to honor our dear friend...You and Puck are so creative and we all appreciate ALL you do on this Forum. Thanks again - Bob will keep us posted as to new details for this awesome event to come. 18 days until D-DAY!!!!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

jmichael
Honorary Member

Bryan,

That photo was taken in New York in 1946.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Thanks, MA! Appreciate you keeping us posted.

Really, Michael? It says 1940 here: http://ew.com/news/doris-day-photos/doris-day-in-1940/

But if you're sure that makes her 24 there, not 18. Thanks.

Doris in 1946, from Puck.

jmichael
Honorary Member

http://www.historybyzim.com/wp-content/ ... uarium.jpg

This was one of several photos taken at a nightclub called The Aquarium in NYC in July 1946. The date listed on Google images is 1946 and her appearance and hairstyle match other photos taken around that time. She didn't go blonde until sometime after 1940. Look at other photos taken in 1940 - she was a brunette then and she wore a Deanna Durban style cut. Same thing in 1941 when she recorded the Soundies w/ Les Brown.

Michael
Michael H

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Unread post by Tybear2015 »

Hello everyone I love all the photos and the wonderful information. I feel so out of touch. I got a job promotion and taming care of my aging parents not a lot of free time. One thing about being a member of this forum I feel like I can come back and its line i haven't been absent, thanks everyone I've missed you all.

Tybear

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

Here's a link to an article written by a woman who grew up in Price Hill, the Cincinnati neighborhood where Doris was born and spent her early years. And apparently the woman is still there so she might be a good source for information.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/lo ... /24862015/

For those of you who have never been to Cincinnati, I thought you might like to know something about it. Through the years I have been there a number of times for job related and personal reasons. It's about a two hour drive to the southeast of Indianapolis where I live.

Cincinnati has a population of around 297,000. The terrain is hilly. The Ohio River borders the city to the south with the State of Kentucky on the other side of the river. It's an old city, established in 1788. I know that for those of you in Europe and the UK that's not old, but to us it is. The downtown is on the north side of the Ohio River and Price Hill is a little north and west of downtown. Industries included "the processing of raw products into marketable whiskey, pork and flour." A large number of Germans immigrated in the 1830's and of Irish in the 1840's. The Ohio River was the primary means for transporting people and goods until the railroad was built in the 1870's. The downtown has been and continues to be revitalized. There are lots of museums and green space in the city.

I hope to go to Cincinnati for the Doris Day celebration on 9/27. I'm so glad that they are honoring her.

Renie

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Interesting link and other info, Renie.

The article in the link indicates that Doris's uncle's business, where she worked and above which she lived for some while as a teenager, was at 3113 Warsaw Ave. in Cincinnati. The building at that location doesn't look too good now. In fact, the entire immediate area isn't real great. Real estate records show that the building was bought in 2010 for $28,000 (about half of its value 3 years prior to that) and that it is occupied by a business called Dittelberger's Brau Haus, reportedly a nightclub.

Maybe the decline in the neighborhood is related to the shrinking population in Cincinnati. As Renie noted, it currently numbers around 297,00. During the 1920s decade, though, the population increased from 400,000 to 450,000 -- and so Doris grew up in a much different city, one that was thriving. I'm sure the neighborhood was a nice place then, in contrast to the way it looks now. How times change, eh?

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Renie and Musiclover for all the rich and interesting history on Cincinnati and Doris' childhood home.
No matter where one travels in life, the influence of the experiences in childhood neighborhoods- urban or rural areas, remain.
Johnny

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Beautiful banner, just great! Love it

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

jmichael
Honorary Member

Below is a link to an article with more details about the Sept. 27 event.

http://www.citybeat.com/arts-culture/cu ... -doris-day

Michael
Michael H

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

Thank you Michael for posting this article. I was wondering how and why this celebration was happening and now I know. There's yet another dyed in the wool Doris Day fan in Cincinnati working hard to make it happen.
Let's hear it for us!!!

Renie

jmichael
Honorary Member

Renie wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 16:32
Thank you Michael for posting this article. I was wondering how and why this celebration was happening and now I know. There's yet another dyed in the wool Doris Day fan in Cincinnati working hard to make it happen.
Let's hear it for us!!!

Renie
Renie,

You are most welcome. I hope as many fans as possible will be able to attend the celebration. We are two weeks away now, yet still no official communication from Doris or her reps aside from the quote in the article above. I understand that someone from the DDAF will be there to represent Doris. Hopefully too, the city council vote that day is just a formality and the street will be officially renamed Doris Day Way. My hat is off to Dr. Bob Maltz and everyone else who put this forward and made it happen. Very sweet indeed.

Michael
Michael H