Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks Tybear and best wishes to you.

On to Best Film No 6: The Pajama Game - what a great fun film! 8)

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

The Pajama Game directed and produced by George Abbot, and choreography by legend Bob Fosse gave Doris a film worthy of her many talents.
The songs, I'm Not At All In Love and Hey There stay in our memories.
Doris and the entire cast shine in their roles. It is a superb musical that deserved more appreciation and recognition.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Sending positive thoughts to Tybear's father. I hope he is on his way to a full recovery.

I love The Pajama Game and Babe Williams is one of my favorite Doris characters. Babe does not suffer fools gladly and Doris captured her strength beautifully, while letting the viewer see the vulnerability underneath the tough exterior. It's one of the most layered performances Doris has ever given and I never grow tired of watching this delightful musical. When Doris connected with top tier talent and material, she soared. There was no holding her back.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Wonderful banner from Pajama Game - hard to believe it was released 60 years ago - still stands the test of time after all these years. Oh for the good old days - at least we seemed to be living in a safer and more sheltered way - thank God for DORIS DAY - she was and remains a wonderful role model for me - Thanks again for the banner - always enjoy seeing the new ones.

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

jmichael
Honorary Member

1955 - 1960 was arguably the peak of her film career as far as quality and diversity.

Love Me Or Leave Me
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Pajama Game
Teacher's Pet
Pillow Talk
Please Don't Eat The Daisies
Midnight Lace

Over a 5 year period, Doris starred in a dramatic musical biography, two suspense thrillers, a Broadway musical adaptation, two first rate romantic comedies and a family friendly comedy. I can't think of another actress who demonstrated that kind of range in films. And all of the movies mentioned above were critical and commercial hits. Pretty remarkable.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

As indicated in Cobbett Steinberg's book Film Facts, Doris' star started to rise in 1951 when she ranked #9 in the top 10 list of box office stars. In 1952 she ranked #7.

It is baffling that between 1952 and 1959 Doris did not appear on the top box office list when she made such popular films as Calamity Jane, Love Me Or Leave Me, The Man Who Knew Too Much and Teacher's Pet.

As Michael stated, Doris' superb versatility in musicals, drama and comedies can't be matched by any of her contemporaries.

Between 1959 and 1966, Doris' ranking on the list were:
1959 #4
1960 #1
1961#3
1862#1
1963#1
1964#1
1965#1

Doris' film ranking in top 20:

1951-On Moonlight Bay #20
1952-I'll See You In My Dreams#17
1956-The Man Who Knew Too Much#17
1960-Please Don't Eat The Daisies #8
1961-Midnight Lace#9
1962-Lover Come Back#3
1962-That Touch Of Monk#3
1963-The Thrill Of It All5#17
1964-Move Over Darling#6
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Both of your posts above are very well said, Michael. Johnny, I, too, wish this film were better acknowledged. (By the way, Stanley Donan co-directed and co-produced it with George Abbott.)

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Wonderful banner from Pajama Game❤️Wonderful movie, wonderful songs!❤️ Love it!❤️

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Thanks Ania! :) And yes,it is a wonderful movie!

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

webmaster wrote:
19 May 2017, 19:25
Thanks Ania! :) And yes,it is a wonderful movie!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4764
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4739
I invite you to watch :D
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Lovely, thank you, Ania. :)

This is the most popular image on my Pinterest board - pinned an unbelievable 667 times! https://uk.pinterest.com/bryanjamesuk/t ... doris-day/

I love the story of Richard Adler meeting Doris Day and writing The Man Who Invented Love for her:

Richard Adler with Sally Ann Howes, who starred in the 1961 show Kwamina, for which he wrote the music and lyrics.

“I was actually trembling as I approached the Warner Brothers lot on the first full morning of work. But once I was there, time seemed to collapse. It was home; it was natural; it was almost easy. The film was already deeply into pre-production; Mr. Abbott was working with Stanley Donen, who would be co-directing the film; Bob Fosse was recreating the dances; the film was adhering very closely to the original.

My task was to train the ensemble and Doris Day, who was playing the Janis Paige role. A mass of freckles and beauty and good spirits, she was a genuinely sweet person, and a joy to work with. She had an agile mind, and a sure musical sense, and teaching the songs to her was a breeze.

It was so natural that a couple of day into rehearsal, I thought why not give her a new song, one I’d write myself? It would help her, help me, and possibly help my future. So, I sat down with my tape recorder and then with a musical secretary, and wrote a ballad for her called The Man Who Invented Love. She loved it. It lay in her range, it had nice lyrics and what was most important, it was right for both her and the character. I played it for Mr. Abbott and Stanley Donen, and they liked it, too. It was a sure bet for the film, a breakthrough for me. My career was slowly re-engaging its gears. What I didn’t know at the time, nor did anyone else, was the ultimate fate of the song. It would never be heard. It would end up on the proverbial cutting-room floor.” – Richard Adler

Now, what Mr. Adler didn’t know is that when the DVD version of The Pajama Game was released, The Man Who Invented Love was included as an extra feature, and it is lovely indeed! It WAS finally rescued from the cutting room floor: https://youtu.be/tSUhBSlzsgo

Derald Hendry

http://www.dorisday.net/the-pajama-game/

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Adler's assessment of Doris has been echoed by so many other professionals over the years, including Buddy Bregman, who was the orchestrator on The Pajama Game. Bregman was composer Jule Styne's nephew, and he worked with many major vocalists during his outstanding career. He said of Doris, "She's the nicest woman I've ever known in this business." (Bregman died early this year.)

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you so much Bryan for the terrific Richard Alder article. Like the rest of us, Richard Adler was immediately impressed by Doris' kind nature and her outstanding talent.

Thanks again.
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks J & J. :)

Song break:

If you haven't already, try watching in full screen, it's a beautiful song, or rather it is as sung by Doris Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSUhBSl ... e=youtu.be

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Musiclover: Since you mentioned Buddy Bregman in your post, I thought I would re-post this wonderful Buddy Bregman article about his relationship with Doris:

" We saw her as kids at The Panther Room in the Sherman Hotel in Chicago with Les, we were his guests. It was on mom's and our birthdays, all in the first week of July (2-9-10; I'm the 9th) we were stunned by her beauty, and eventually became the most wonderful woman whom I (and my brother) have had the pleasure of knowing. And by accident worked with. But mostly knowing. She was totally grounded and, I hate this word, so 'regular' at her height. And that terrible Marty Melcher, whom I really liked as well (he was very funny; I played tennis with him so many times) took this lovely woman for everything she had... so disgusting.
Doris when married to Marty, was very friendly to my brother Bobby and I. She was like the aunt one always loved.She always wore long shorts like the basketball players do now. Marty was very funny. Little did I know that he was bilking her along with Jerry Rosenthal, my parents lawyer friend from Chicago and also our Verve lawyer. Unbelievable.
I did the orchestrations in the film "Pajama Game, splitting the chores with Nelson Riddle. They kept me on to do the underscoring as well. I did all the big Fosse numbers, Once a Year Day - 8 minutes long - Hernando's Hideaway, the whole 10 minute sequence, 7 1/2 Cents - the whole Union vs. Management sequence +++ - Doris was the star, but since she knew me as a kid when she bumped into me on the set she said, "Oh, Buddy, honey what are you doing here?" "The orchestrations." "You do music?" "Yes." "I didn't know that." You can never grow up with some people.
But she was the nicest woman I have ever known in this biz. She even invited me to her house on Crescent Drive for dinner. She asked if I minded having Betty Hutton at the dinner party. I took a deep breath, smiled through my clenched teeth and said, "Fine." I won't go into the Betty Hutton story other than when I was musical director on "The Eddie Fisher Show", and she was Alan Livingston's wife (head of NBC after Capitol Records), she would only do the show if she could use her own musical contingent. I won't go into the rest and I would have to use foul language re what I said about her and to her.
There I find myself at Doris's house, her dinner guest and then who plops next to me but a woman in a gorgeous navy-blue silk dress with large white-polka-dots all over, most of it covering my lap. "Hi, honey, remember me?" I nodded. "I'm sorry about being such a bitch but...." "I smiled." And we had a great time, but I was with Doris the whole time as she was the one I knew best between the 20 people there other than Ronnie Cowan (her best friend and Warren Cowan's wife of Rogers & Cowan PR), and I felt safe as Doris was so nice to me and liked both my brother and I because as she used to say, "We were such nice, polite boys."
I guess she didn't know I had this mad crush on her, but I knew Marty pretty well also and we were close to him and the Rosenthals who were also there. If I had an inkling of what they were doing, I would have told her.
Oh yes, Gordon & Sheila MacRae were there as well and they were like my surrogate aunt and uncle. It was Sheila who pushed me into a May-December situation that became a nightmare - which I won't go into now - but I loved Sheila. She was so out there and totally ran Gordon's life and career, which didn't fare too well. We all met with our parents at The Pump Room in Chicago (where my parents were married) when I was there for a summer holiday and Sheila and Gordon knew that my mother was Jule Styne's sister so it was an instant friendship. I was in school at UCLA and I saw them at Jule's house a lot after that, and Sheila, the bombastic one, would continually push me into this situation which became a lot like drowning.
But they were friends of Doris's as well, as they did a lot of films together that my uncle Jule and Sammy Cahn wrote, hence the Doris-Buddy situation. It came via The Cowans, the Stynes and the MacRaes.
I can say as I write this that I was in Doris's presence probably over a period of years about 30-35 times. Times where she would be having her iced tea and I would join she and Ronnie (they were very close gal pals) and Ronnie kept us in stitches, and if she said anything off-color (1000 times) Doris very sweetly would say, "Ronnie!"
A woman I will never forget, and strangely enough, I'm probably the only one who knows her personally and not much about her recordings, strange, huh? But I was with Ella, Carmen and Anita and Doris and I never recorded together. She was in a category I was not interested in other than as a lovely lady who is the quintessential Wonder(ful) Woman!"
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks for that Howard, I love his work with Anita O'Day.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Very nice article, Howard. Thanks so much for sharing it.

webmaster

Yes, great article, Howard, thanks for that. I noted his comments about Martin Melcher - he didn't pull any punches there!

Moving on to Best Films No 7 - The Glass Bottom Boat:

The Glass Bottom Boat is a fun film and I really enjoyed it but I don't think it's up there with some of her 50s classics such As Teacher's Pet and Young at Heart. But that's just my opinion, :roll:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

A fabulous banner- and I love the film and Doris' look in it- no question she was played a liberated, sexual, sexy lady of a certain age who had lived and who had a fabulous body.

On Moonlight Bay

Unread post by On Moonlight Bay »

Can't disagree with that, Jas! She did look great and it's a very funny film. :lol:

jmichael
Honorary Member

Three things about GBB:

Director Frank Tashlin. This was the first time he worked with Doris and his background in cartoon animation and slapstick comedies with Jerry Lewis and Jayne Mansfield made him the perfect choice to oversee what I think are some of Doris' best physical comedy set pieces. The mermaid tale, the banana cream cake fiasco with Dom DeLuise, the hilarious sight gag when Alice Pearce reacts to Doris' foot poking through the window, etc. Tashlin had the right skills to make all of that absurdity fly and he had a gifted physical comedienne in Doris.

The Supporting Cast. All of Doris' comedies boasted first rate supporting players and GBB was no exception. You had Dom DeLuise, John McGiver, Paul Lynde, Dick Martin, Alice Pearce, Edward Andrews, etc. With an arsenal of comedic talent like that, it was almost impossible not to laugh even when you could see the punchline coming a mile away. Doris always brought out the best in her fellow actors and that was very evident in GBB.

GBB Was The Last Of The Best. By that I mean, GBB was the last DD movie that I really enjoyed. Caprice had several offbeat touches that I could not resist, but the tonal shifts from broad comedy to suspense thriller were awkward and the plot made no sense. WSYGE was charming and believable - especially in the quieter exchanges between Doris and Brian Keith and it gave Doris a grounded. more mature character to play. But it felt more like a high end television sitcom to me than a feature film. Sadly, the remaining films were simply not good enough for the likes of Doris Day IMO.

Michael
Michael H

puck
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 201

Unread post by puck »

Love the new banner, and "The Glass Bottom Boat" is one hell of a movie, the act with Dom Deluise is hilarious.
And Jas, just agree with you, and she looks great in ever movie she made.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Clever banner! I think GBB is really a kick for all the reasons Michael has just mentioned. The entire chase scene near the end with Doris and Eric Fleming is just priceless.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Like the photo of Doris and the dog - looks like Biggest, but the photo claims it is from GBB - NO WAY. Doris didn't get Biggest until the very late 60s - as I had him first and after a few weeks, our landlord said NO DOGS, so I had to find a home for him and eventually,
Just curious about the photo claiming to be from GLASS BOTTOM BOAT????
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I love the look of Doris in a trench coat in this banner. The Glass Bottom Boat brings back a sense of happiness and fun I remember while watching this film in the theater with my father.

Thank you Howard for the terrific article.
Johnny