Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

Unread post by jmichael »

webmaster wrote:
27 May 2017, 16:46

Sincere apologies - was my face red... :oops: As I was doing Film No 10, looking at my notes, I saw plainly, as Michael had tried to tell me:
9. Lover Come Back 4%
Move Over Darling 4% (draw)
So sorry, must have got some kind of film-title dyslexia. That Touch of Mink is much further down the list (1%)

Apologies all!

Reload page if you don't see above image as banner,
Hey Bryan, no worries, and let me say that it was a bit of a relief to see you make a mistake. You always get everything just right and your diligence is greatly appreciated.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

jmichael
Honorary Member

webmaster wrote:
28 May 2017, 06:47
I like to try and get things right, Tybear. :) Thanks to Michael for pointing it out.
Anyway back on track again and enjoying the bank holiday sunshine in the UK.
Hope you're all having a good weekend

Move Over Darling - two different views from Doris Day Net:

A huge hit that rescued 20th Century Fox
By Paul Brogan

"When I originally reviewed Move Over, Darling in 2000, I rated it four stars. Having recently watched the film again, I feel it necessary and appropriate to review it again and raise it to five stars! Why? Simple. This fast-paced comedy romp is a delightful mixture of comedy, pathos, slapstick, and heart, delightfully enacted by a talented cast under the skilled direction of Michael Gordon. The end result should have the most dour viewer grinning from ear to ear."
Read more: http://www.dorisday.net/move-over-darling/

Quite frankly, I didn’t like it!
By Ralph McKnight

"I recently saw the original version of My Favorite Wife, starring Irene Dunne, Cary Grant, Randolph Scott and Gail Patrick. Through the years, I have collected practically all of the scenes that Marilyn Monroe filmed for the sequel, Something’s Gotta Give, with Dean Martin and Cyd Charisse and I own the last version, Move Over, Darling starring Doris Day, James Garner, Polly Bergen, Thelma Ritter and Chuck Connors.

Quite frankly, I didn’t like any of them. “Wife” is rather dated and was considered “cute” when it came out to favorable reviews. “Something” was never finished because of an inept Marilyn Monroe who proved once again that she was no professional and ended up getting fired. The script was dusted off a year later, after Marilyn’s death, and Doris Day, the No 1 Box Office Star in the World, stepped in and filmed “Move Over,” without a hitch, and the picture became a big hit but was met with mixed reviews. The director, Michael Gordon, must have put a lot of pressure on his actors to ‘make this one funny’.
Read more: http://www.dorisday.net/move-over-darling/

I'm somewhere in the middle between Paul and Ralph. It did feel like Michael Gordon was pushing the actors to be funny at times. The shouting in some scenes felt overdone with everyone playing to the rafters. Doris, however, managed to be funny, tender and tough and she demonstrated again how great she was with physical comedy. The car wash sequence is one of her very best and I love the way she decks Chuck Connors in the courtroom. And that Swedish accent - perfection! If you compare footage of the shoe clerk scene from the unfinished MM version with this one, you can immediately see that Doris and Don Knotts were funnier than MM and Wally Cox.

MOD was a huge hit at the box-office and it cemented Doris' status as the Top Box-office star of the 1960s. I'm glad 20th Century Fox didn't give up on the film and retooled it to suit Doris.
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover »

This is yet another film in which Thelma Ritter just shone in her supporting role. I think she really owned her part, as Doris and Garner also owned theirs.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks Michael. I'm glad I appear competent but often I feel like Thelma Ritter arriving for work in Pillow Talk and not knowing if it's Monday or Friday. And sometimes for the same reason! :lol: I definitely have a touch of dyslexia - I write taht and siad, etc. And forgetfulness - now sometimes called dementia, but I've had it all my life. Also a form of colour blindness (I discovered as a teenager when I failed a 'what can you see in the dots' test for the railways - where it's important if you can tell green from red!). But I'm glad that most of that is seemingly not too apparent! :)

And thanks, Judy. Day and Garner had a lot more screen intimacy than Day and Grant - unfortunately, as they have both given the world the best of slapstick comedy - but in different films! I think Cary was feeling his age and wanted to retire, (Nowadays actors are more comfortable about working into their 60s and 70s - Meryl Streep, Judi Dench and Helen Mirren come to mind among women.) Maybe if he'd known that Doris was two years older he may not have minded as much! But I can imagine - at the time - the film was seen as a delightful romp between two of the world's most popular stars.

Doris said that she and James Garner 'looked like husband and wife', which I think is true. He was attracted to her in real life but, to his credit - and how often does that happen in Hollywood or anywhere else? - he put loyalty to his wife above everything else. I admire that kind of morality.

I'm enjoying this review of her films - it's just a snapshot in time and with a wider audience it would probably get a very different result. But what makes it interesting is that it's a poll of die-hard Doris Day fans!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

jmichael
Honorary Member

Bryan,

Appreciate your candor and keen self-awareness. I feel honored that you shared your minor foibles with us. We all have them but it takes courage to be open about them. You've also done a marvelous job of hiding them because your oversight of the content and design of the forum is impeccable. I know many fan forums that pre-dated the social media era have since folded. Yours is among the few that have survived, largely because of your diligence.

I noticed today that we currently have more than 1,300 members. Sure would be nice if more of them would became active and join the discussion. I'd love to hear other thoughts and opinions beyond the few who post here regularly.

Cheers!
Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Imagine Bryan and Michael if half of the Doris Day forum members introduced Doris Day films, songs, the television series to just one friend or family member, there would be almost 2000 new participants if they joined this joyous forum.

Bryan, it is your meticulous work and caring that makes The Doris Day Forum an exceptional experience and a heartfelt tribute to Doris Day.

It has been an uplifting and illuminating education on Doris Day's legendary work and inspiring humanity.

I wish to thank you above all Bryan for being such a dedicated forum leader. As well, a big thank you goes to Michael, Peter, Ania, Jas, Music lover, Howard,Tybear, Puck, Paul, Texas, On Moonlight Bay, Renie, Ray, and all others for your insightful and thoughtful contributions.
Johnny

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi friends,

After years and years, still the best place on the web to visit. Love to read all your posts/thoughts and see/hear the pictures/video's/music everyone is sharing.

As the song says:
https://youtu.be/MDWv3SkqngM

Thanks, as always to Bryan... and you all!!!

P

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree Peter.

Great banner too.

Re- MOD-i know it is unfair to compare to an unfinished film - Something's got to give- but MOD is way funnier in the scenes one can compare - notably the Swedish Nurse/ shoe shopping, and the ploy of pretending the shoe clerk is Adam - Doris chose to play Ingrid very funny -Marilyn played her like Garbo - very interesting to vatch/watch!

webmaster

Thanks for the nice comments - sorry I've been a bit busy, and trying to avoid the computer over the holiday period! Yes, I'm glad we're still going - it's a tribute to Doris essentially (and to us as friendly folk cast in her image!) and I prefer this kind of forum to Facebook, even though you can get more attention of Facebook, I still don't like using it and seldom do. And I don't want to get into competition with other fan pages on there.

Michael, Johnny, re: member list - it really need updating but it's a big job and I haven't got the time. There are lots of names on there of people who joined and only visited once, years ago. There are people who joined and never posted and people who joined to just promote their websites. There are people who joined and will never return (the fallout from the David Kaufman book), people I've annoyed or upset for whatever reason - you get the message!

I don't see it as having great value and I never send mass emails so it's just us chickens! We're virtually a closed forum as everytime I leave it open for registration I get tons of spam applications (from people called gtcclluus or vgiafhaan) and it's time consuming to delete them all so I just wait until someone emails me saying they want to join, which they do from time to time. Finally, I think it's easy to get out of the habit of posting and if you leave it too long it becomes very difficult.
I think what I would like to do is trim it down a bit, maybe delete some sections? What do people think?

So here we go with Best Film No 10, Lullaby of Broadway:

Although the later Calamity Jane is the picture credited with making Day a film superstar, Lullaby of Broadway must be credited for helping to make her a household name. Around the period of the film’s release, she was constantly on the record charts with big hits like A Guy is a Guy, When I Fall in Love, and Shanghai. When she wasn’t in front of the movie cameras, she was in the recording studio or posing for fan magazine photos. Immediately after the release of this film, she married her agent, Marty Melcher, and he became her manager." - Ralph McKnight
http://www.dorisday.net/lullaby-of-broadway/

jmichael
Honorary Member

Two things about Lullaby Of Broadway: Doris Day and the dancing. Doris was amazing - especially when she performed the huge dance number with Gene Nelson on the title song. After watching that difficult dance routine a zillion times, I still can't find one misstep on her part. I have often wondered what MGM would have done with Doris at the time. She would have posed a real threat to the likes of June Allyson, Debbie Reynolds and Jane Powell. Beyond the dancing, the songs and the capable cast, I can't say that LOB does a lot for me story wise. The real story was Doris Day, who proved that she could easily carry a film on her talented shoulders.

Michael
Michael H

jmichael
Honorary Member

Finally, I think it's easy to get out of the habit of posting and if you leave it too long it becomes very difficult. I think what I would like to do is trim it down a bit, maybe delete some sections? What do people think?

Bryan,

I love the forum as is. It is chock full of interesting and rare information. To me, it is the online encyclopedia of Doris Day's professional career and I can find things here that I cannot find anywhere else. If I had to make a choice about deleting sections, I would reluctantly choose Off Topics or Members Only, although the latter is very useful when it comes to sensitive topics. Personally, I wouldn't miss The Doris Day Show section, but I know that many fans would not be happy with that decision.

Another thought would be to archive the older stuff somewhere.

Hope this is helpful.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bryan,
The Doris Day Forum is a truly important comprehensive study on Doris Day's career as an actress, singer, dancer and humanitarian. Often I will go back to earlier postings on Doris's music or films to research information.

It is your major accomplishment that you have been able to dedicate so much time, energy and love to create this historical record of Doris Day's career. Please don't be so hard on yourself if an error occurs. I think of the forum members as a team that is one for all and all for one. The Doris Day Forum is full of love and caring.

Regarding Move Over Darling, in 1964 the film ranked #6 in the annual top ten moneymaking films earning $5,100,000. The top moneymaking film was The Carpetbaggers earning $13,000,000 followed by It's A Mad, Mad Mad World at $10,000,000, The Unsinkable Molly Brown $7,500,000, Charade $6,150,000, The Cardinal $5,275,000.
The audience seems to be the best authority on the importance and appreciation of films. Most good films and sometimes terrible films live in the emotional memories of the audience. When I think of Move Over Darling, laughter comes to mind as I think of Doris pounding Polly Bergen while giving her a massage. Polly Bergen's bracelets rattling in the court scene and irritating the judge, Thelma Ritter's fainting, Doris talking to the children in the pool are moments that live on that I look forward to seeing when I have the opportunity to watch Move Over Darling again.

Most of all it is the feeling of happiness that stays with me when watching Move Over Darling.
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks Michael and Johnny for your great comments, as always. I don't think I'll do anything for now to change the forum. Keep the Best Films reviews and comments coming.

Doris Day's Best Films No 11: Teachers' Pet and Midnight Lace tie - two very different films!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Teacher's Pet and Midnight Lace illustrate Doris Day's versatility as an actress.
Teacher's Pet ranked #1 on 1958's New York Times Annual Ten Best List. The following films were in the top ten:
Gigi
The Goddess
God's Little Acre
Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
The Defiant Ones
Damn Yankees
The Horse's Mouth
I Want To Live
A Night To Remember

Gig Young was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor award. Teacher's Pet was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay by Fay Kanin and Michael Kanin.

It would have been interesting to see Teacher's Pet in Colour.

Midnight Lace ranked #19 on 1961's top moneymaking films. It earned $3,500,000. Doris Day was nominated for the Golden Globe for Best Actress-Motion Picture.
Irene Lentz was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Colour Costume Design.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

I watched TP again recently and it holds up well. The central theme of investigative journalism shedding light on pressing social issues is even more topical today than it was in 1958. Consider how many big city newspapers are struggling and how social media, gossip websites and internet bloggers with few, if any, journalistic credentials have become major sources of hard news reporting. This film makes a strong case for responsible journalism to expose injustices and educate the public in a fair and balanced manner. I can just imagine what Jim Gannon and Erica Stone would have to say about the current era of fake news and alternative facts. Doris is perfection as Erica Stone. I love her when she plays a strong, intelligent career woman. She is sexy as hell too in those pencil skirts. Some thought Gable was too old (here we go again with the age obsession game), but I thought he had great chemistry with Doris. When she finally puts him in his place in the elevator, her intense reaction to being misled is unforgettable. This is one of her finest moments on the big screen IMO.

Midnight Lace is pure escapist fare. I enjoy it but I don't love it nearly as much as others do. The starry cast, high-end production values and the Irene costumes carry the film along and offset some of the holes in the plot. Doris gave it her all - her breakdown on the staircase is a show stopper - but the script was a predictable riff on the familiar Gaslight theme. I don't think many people were surprised by the ending or that Doris walked off into the night with John Gavin at her side. Still, this film should have reminded everyone just how capable Doris was at projecting raw emotion on screen. With the right script and director, she could have walked away with a Best Actress Oscar more than once in her prime.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

It surprises me that Teacher's Pet ranked only #11. I wonder if fans would've rated it higher had it been in color. Michael, no professional film critic could've written a better review of this movie. All your points are spot on.

webmaster

Excellent reviews, Michael - and thanks for info, Johnny.

I can’t really fault Teacher’s Pet – except remembering that it got slightly sentimental about Doris’ idealised father-journalist at times. But perhaps that was intentional as Clark Gable later ‘brought him down to earth’ (reputation wise). But Doris was on top form with Gable and obviously enjoying a serious role with an actor (a legend by then, even) she admired very much. Not sure if colour would have made a difference, Judy, but I think it probably would. Doris was made for colour – although colour didn’t save Do Not Disturb, Where Were You When the Lights Went Out, etc.

I agree with much of what you say about Midnight Lace, Michael - great acting, not so great script. It reminds me of Dial M for Murder, even to having the same police inspector, John Williams, as Inspector Byrnes, and (Chief) Inspector Hubbard in Dial M for Murder (1954). It might have been a better film had they followed Hitchcock’s lead and identified the murderer first so then you’re in on the secret and the issue isn’t who-done-it, but why, what will the wife do when she finds out, or will he succeed?

Rather like Hitch’s analogy of suspense vs shock: if you put a bomb under a table where people are talking, they’ll get a shock when it goes off but if they know the bomb is there, they’ll be thinking, ‘Stop talking and get out of there – a bomb is going to explode in 5 minutes!” You’ll get 5 minutes of suspense vs a few seconds of shock. We knew Ray Milland was trying to kill Grace Kelly, the suspense was would he succeed and if so would he get away with it? We probably knew it was ‘no’ to both questions but the fun is the suspense and not in the mystery (who's trying to kill her), which once you know, you know,

But I enjoyed it very much when I first saw it and thought Doris looked very beautiful and glamourous. :)

jmichael
Honorary Member

Bryan, hoping and you are safe tonight. Thinking of all my London friends and praying that everyone is safe. So horrible and no end in sight.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Yes Bryan, please know that London is in my thoughts and care. I know one day this insanity will stop.
Johnny

webmaster

All okay personally but these events are just getting a bit too regular. Not sure where it's is all leading - the attacks all seem to be 'home grown' and it's very hard to understand why people who were born here, or have been given refuge here, would want to behave that way?

jmichael
Honorary Member

Bryan, I am very relieved to hear that you are OK. It is madness for sure and the intel forces can't seem to prevent them from continuing. I suppose it is almost impossible to detect all of these impressionable young people who are radicalized over the internet or in other countries and then form underground networks to execute random acts of violence. I can't comprehend the behavior either and can only chalk it up to madness. Wishing you and your country peace and safety in these dark times.

Michael

PS -Thank you Judy and Bryan for your kind remarks regarding the TP review.
Michael H

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi Michael,

Thank you for that great Teachers Pet review. A job well done. It's one of my favourite Doris films. Wish Doris and Clark made more films together.

P

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I agree Peter, they should have made more films. Despite their age difference, they did have good chemistry together, and they seemed to bring out the best in each other. TP deserves to be in the top ten, for sure. The script is wonderful, and DD's performance was deserving of an Oscar nod.
Like Irene Dunne done.

jmichael
Honorary Member

TP is a romantic farce but the underlying theme of journalistic integrity gives this one more emotional weight. It presents a realistic depiction of a big city newsroom and a college campus and feels more rooted in reality than a Move Over Darling or a Send Me No Flowers. This kind of film needs stars that have sufficient depth as actors to make the serious elements credible. Doris Day and Clark Gable were ideally equipped to deliver on all counts. I also want to give a shout-out to the wonderful writers of the screenplay: Fay and Michael Kanin.
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Michael for your thoughtful, valuable and insightful perspective on Teacher's Pet.

Doris' skills as a versatile actress were well documented by her performances in Love Me Or Leave Me, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The Pajama Game and Teacher's Pet proved worthy of these abilities.

If Doris had a talent agency that had her best interests at heart, they may have found projects that would have given her serious opportunities. Projects like Separate Tables, Sweet Bird Of Youth, A Touch Of Class and Ordinary People would have elevated Doris' reputation as a serious actress.

Regardless, Doris will always have the reputation as Hollywood's most loved actress by film aficionados.
Johnny