Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

Unread post by Jas1 »

I love Teacher's Pet- and I think [as I have said before] that Doris gives [perhaps] her best performance in this film. If I had any [slight] criticism of the film - it is that there could have been more classroom scenes- they are superb - and how sexy is DD in Edith Head figure hugging pencil skirts?

Off tangent - while I adore the original - I would have loved a remake of His Girl Friday done with Doris and either Rock, or James Garner in the 1960s -

In addition - I think the same team/s could have done wonders with a remake of Adam's Rib [the magnificent Tracy and Hepburn film].

Re Katharine Hepburn - and this brings me [unintentionally] full circle - I was so glad to red on her [Via Paul B I think] that Katharine Hepburn said she admired Doris' performance in Teacher's Pet and would have loved a stab at the role - on that note- I agree 100% this forum is a utopia and a wealth of information on Doris Day, her career and her life - to quote one of DD's films and to quote what Michael Curtiz said to the young DD when she mooted taking acting lessons "DO NOT DISTURB."

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Thank you all. Still a long way from being back to normal in London, victims are still being identified and many people are critically injured in hospital with knife wounds - and we have a general election on Thursday!

But, moving on, Doris Day's Best Films No 12 sees three films sharing the spot, I'll See You in my Dreams, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, and Send Me No Flowers. I thought it would make it easier if we took one film at a time so let's start with I'll See You in my Dreams:

Doris Day, Danny Thomas and Mary Wickes in I’ll See You in My Dreams, 1951.

Doris Day Net review - for people who may have forgotten it:
When I’ll See You in My Dreams was released at Radio City Music Hall in New York in late 1951, it toppled that theater’s opening week box office records that had stood for 20 years. Almost four decades later, Danny Thomas made one of his last public appearances on a TV talk show to promote his autobiography, Make Room for Danny. He became rather pensive and struggled to hold back tears when the film was mentioned. Thomas said, “The best thing I’ve ever done – and with Doris Day!”

The film depicted the career of Gus Kahn, lyricist of more than 300 songs, a number of which are now considered to be standards in American musical history. Thomas, then a popular nightclub and radio performer and occasional movie actor, portrayed Kahn. Day – who got top billing – portrayed Kahn’s wife, Grace. To contribute to the film’s accuracy, Warner Bros. used the real Grace Kahn as an advisor on the movie.
More: http://www.dorisday.net/ill-see-you-in-my-dreams/

Reload page if you don't see it on banner.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan - thoughts and prayers are with London - such times show the truly horrible and the truly wonderful aspects of people. My Godmother [long gone] was born and bred in London - it has a special place in my heart for that reason.

webmaster

Thanks, Jas. :(

On Moonlight Bay

Unread post by On Moonlight Bay »

I like I'll See You in My Dreams - one of those films you enjoyed watching on TV at the weekend. It's an interesting story, well acted by the usual Warner Bros players. I'd like to see it again but it hasn't been onTV for awhile.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I'll See You In My Dreams is a well crafted period musical. Doris excels in her role as Grace LeBoy Khan. She shows remarkable strength in supporting and motivating her husband Gus to believe in himself. Doris' character is a confident working woman in early 20th century. The role is a natural and comfortable fit for Doris.

There is a great deal of charm in the film and wonderful wit is in good supply by Mary Wickes.
Most of is all, the music is the joyful heart of the film.
Johnny

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

It is terrible what happened in London, my heart is with the victims and there families. London has a special place in my heart, great city, with marvelous and so very nice people. So sad, and so short after Manchester, and London......
Do love your banners and all about Doris movies. ❤️❤️❤️ Thank you.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

My thoughts and prayers are with you Bryan and all - Thank you for the wonderful banners - love seeing the photos and thinking about DD's movies. They just don't make great movies anymore, so it is nice to have DVDs of the classics to enjoy.
Have a great day!
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

webmaster

Thanks Johnny, Puck and MA, appreciate the personal and film comments.
"Love seeing the photos and thinking about DD's movies," probably sums it up for most of us, MA!
It's nice to remind ourselves of the many and varied films she made.

I thought I'd move to the second of the Best Films No 12, Please Don't Eat the Daisies:

Doris Day Net review:
Please Don’t Eat the Daisies was released in the spring of 1960 and before the year was out, Doris Day had been named the number one star (male or female) at the box office. She was the hottest property in Hollywood and could write her own ticket. Although the movie was critically acclaimed, as was Jean Kerr’s book on which it was based, I wondered as a youngster why Day would make a picture with that awful title – but at the theatre where I went to see the film, there were crowds around the corner and four deep waiting to get in."
Read more: http://www.dorisday.net/please-dont-eat-the-daisies/

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I'm surprised PDETD didn't rank higher.

It's a rambunctious yet smart family comedy that doesn't overdose on sentiment or resort to forced cuteness. Kate McKay is anything but June Cleaver or Donna Reed and Doris plays the part expertly. I have never seen another major female star so natural with child actors. Just marvel at how she effortlessly leads the opening scene when she is getting dressed - this is master class in film acting. She doesn't miss a beat with the props, her timing or the inherent chaos with the boys. I love the NY theater setting too and David Niven was perfectly cast as the uptight theater critic. And then there's slinky Janis Paige who steals every scene she is in. "It says here you're twenty-nine" to which she responds: "I have been." Chuck Walters did a great job keeping all of this rolling along and the casting is topnotch, from the kids to great character actors like Jack Weston, Spring Byington, Patsy Kelly and Richard Haydn.

I love this movie and never grow tired of it. Cokie cola?

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

I second all you comments, Michael -- and I loved the screenplay, too. Isobel Lennart, who co-wrote Love Me or Leave, also wrote the screenplay for this film.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Love the banner and agree Michael re- the film - Daisies.

Doris is superb and that scene with the boys at the start when she is getting dressed= it is just comedic / acting perfection - Doris also seldom looked better and I think the clothes in this don't get the attention they deserve [that Jean Louis or Irene got] - was it Moss Mabry? The outfits are just perfection- particularly [for me] the black evening gown, the white suit [for Sardies] and the brown suit to save the child in the chair - oh, and I love that scene in the film at the party where DD is being hit on by the pianist and the poodle eats her earring.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Please Don't Eat The Daisies is a Doris film that I hold with deep personal affection. Growing up as the youngest in a household of all boys with a British dad, the antics of the kids were things we all could relate with.
I remember my brother Jamie taking his belt and strapping me into the seat in the movie theater because at age 6 I was leaning over the balcony wall in the front row. From then on we all sat on the main floor.
Please Don't Eat The Daisies remains a family classic and one of Doris' best films.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Jas1 wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 05:20
Love the banner and agree Michael re- the film - Daisies.

Doris is superb and that scene with the boys at the start when she is getting dressed= it is just comedic / acting perfection - Doris also seldom looked better and I think the clothes in this don't get the attention they deserve [that Jean Louis or Irene got] - was it Moss Mabry? The outfits are just perfection- particularly [for me] the black evening gown, the white suit [for Sardies] and the brown suit to save the child in the chair - oh, and I love that scene in the film at the party where DD is being hit on by the pianist and the poodle eats her earring.
James, Morton Haack was the costume designer on Daisies and Jumbo!

Michael
Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks Michael - you are right- and his costumes were fabulous in my opinion.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Musiclover wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 11:57
I second all you comments, Michael -- and I loved the screenplay, too. Isobel Lennart, who co-wrote Love Me or Leave, also wrote the screenplay for this film.
Judy, thanks for mentioning this. I agree - Lennart's screenplay was clever in all respects.

In addition to Daisies and Love Me Or Leave Me, Ms. Lennart also wrote Funny Girl, The Sundowners and The Inn Of The Sixth Happiness, among others.
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Johnny, what a cute story about your brother strapping you into your balcony seat at the theatre!

webmaster

Johnny, what a cute story about your brother strapping you into your balcony seat at the theatre!
Wasn't it just! :lol: Thanks for sharing that, Johnny.

And thanks for your reviews of Doris' films, Michael - much appreciated.

Please Don't Eat the Daisies has always been one of my favourite DD films.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

I love that movie❤️❤️ Wonderful banner and a fantastic movie!❤️ LOVE IT❤️
ImageImage

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Thanks Ania, - like the film images!

The final film in the Best Films No 12, Send Me No Flowers:

Paul Lynde (Mr. Akins), who sold Rock (George) the burial plot.

The main characters: Rock Hudson (George), Doris Day (Judy), Clint Walker (Bert), and Tony Randall (Arnold).

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Send Me No Flowers was described by The New York Times' film critic Bosley Crowther as "A beautiful farce situation".

I loved seeing Doris and Rock as a married couple. Send Me No Flowers appears to be Rock's film as he gets carried away making funeral plans and scouting for a new husband for his wife. The scenes with Paul Lynd are hysterically funny.

Tony Randall offers solid support in his role as George's best friend. I love Doris' jealousy scene as she pitches everything out the window at George. Doris' scene in the runaway golf cart is entertaing and reminds me of her scene in the carwash in Move Over Darling.

The film moves swiftly along and the audience knows it is guaranteed a happy ending. All three Doris and Rock films are special because of the magical chemistry of the stars and their immense likability.
Johnny

webmaster

Great review, Johnny, and completely agree. Always thought that Send Me No Flowers was underrated.
Doris described it as 'Rock's film', which is true to some extent. He's the main character and Doris is reacting to him and his 'hypochondria' but she and Tony Randall are an integral part of the story.

“The best outing of the trilogy. When viewed by itself and with such supporting stars as Paul Lyne, Hal March and Clint Walker, the film it is just as entertaining as the previous two films.” – BoxOffice Magazine

http://www.dorisday.net/send-me-no-flowers/

jmichael
Honorary Member

Well, I have to disagree about Send Me No Flowers - it's the weakest of the three films she did with Rock and Tony IMO. It's not a bad film but the laughs and the interest weren't there for me. I prefer Doris in an urban setting over a suburban housewife who plays golf (yawn) and gossips at the country club. Judy Kimball is a one dimensional character who lacks the layers of a Jan Morrow, Carol Templeton or a Beverly Boyer. The saving graces are the reliable chemistry among the three leads and the talented supporting players. Paul Lynde is a riot; Edward Andrews is great; and Hal March as Winnie Burr shows everyone what happened to Eddie Haskell when he grew-up. This one ranks in the bottom third of her films as far as I'm concerned. It just didn't have the oomph or the smarts of her best romantic comedies.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

I hear what you are saying, Michael, and I think you represent the views of many people, especially fans and the reason why it's not considered as good as the other two films. However, forgetting the fact that it's 'a Doris Day film', for a minute, and that death features heavily in the story - a subject that can put people off, I think it's a good plot and a very funny film. I will admit you have to be in the right mood - once it fell really flat on me, another time I found it hilarious!

it's also a very interesting moral dilemma. Do you love your partner, if you have one, enough to want them to be happy with someone else if you thought you were going to die? Probably many people couldn't bear the thought of their beloved being with anyone else, which I think is a bit selfish as not only have they lost you but could be lonely for the rest of their lives.

So I admired 'Rock's' motives - and especially Tony Randall's performance as the initially grief-stricken and later somewhat irritable buddy! :)

Thanks for your thoughts!

jmichael
Honorary Member

Very well said, Bryan, and I concede that if you step back and look at it as an ensemble piece, not a Doris Day film, your appreciation of it improves. The moral dilemma is interesting too but it feels contrived to me. I can see someone who is dying wanting their partner or spouse to find someone after they die, but the idea of engineering the match before you are gone is a bit much. Maybe what bothers the most though is Doris being relegated to a reactive supporting player whereas in other films she was the focus. I enjoy her most when she plays a character with backbone and drive. And yes - Tony Randall was brilliant as Arnold - his was perhaps the best performance in the film.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael H